Kessman era over - Jets sign Pineiro

mrcoops

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

This does not bode well.

Indianapolis Colts[edit]

Piñeiro signed with the Indianapolis Colts on May 17, 2021,[37] but was waived on August 24, 2021.[38]

Washington Football Team[edit]

Piñeiro signed with the Washington Football Team's practice squad on September 3, 2021,[39] but was released a week later.

Oh c'mon munch, you know the old saying:  One man's trash ends up the Jets' trash.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Argument via outlier. Where have we seen this before?

You too should quit your job before waiting to see whether your numbers come up in Mega Millions!

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh c'mon munch, you know the old saying:  One man's trash ends up the Jets' trash.

Some folks here will defend any of JD's moves.

3 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I wonder why Pineiro wasn't good enough to sign last week?  "Piñeiro tried out for New York on Thursday before the team released Matt Ammendola and made Kessman its Week 13 kicker."

Well, for one, Kessler was only 23 years old, and it lowered the Jets average age of players.  It seems like although the Jets have the worst team in football, they want to lead the league in having the youngest roster.   With Kessman, mission accomplished!  lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

In this year's draft we should burn one of our last picks on a kicker.  And not one with a huge leg, but one who has a ridiculously high completion percentage.

I would rather sign a vet free agent.  We should have plenty of money to spend -- give some of it to a guy that has kicked in this league.  Too many college kickers have little to no track record of making tough, game on the line type kicks.  I want a guy who has done it before and we know can handle the pressure.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I would rather sign a vet free agent.  We should have plenty of money to spend -- give some of it to a guy that has kicked in this league.  Too many college kickers have little to no track record of making tough, game on the line type kicks.  I want a guy who has done it before and we know can handle the pressure.

I would normally agree but we have signed a lot of vets over recent years with virtually no success.  Joe has shown no penchant for it.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I would normally agree but we have signed a lot of vets over recent years with virtually no success.  Joe has shown no penchant for it.

Macc brought in vet FAs.  Catanzaro and Myers.  But since we let Myers walk, Douglas has gone the cheap rookie / street FA route.  Last three seasons our kickers were: Vedvik, Ficken, Mclaughlin, Castillo, Kessman and Ammendola. 

Next season, imo, it is time for an established vet FA. 

I posted this in a different thread but applies her also:

Of the moves that Joe Douglas has made in his tenure I find this one (and the whole kicking situation for that matter) most perplexing. Going back to past season up until now it seemed like Joe Douglas wanted to develop a young kicker from Kaare Vedvik to Sam Fickens in 2019 to Naggar, Amendola and Kesserman this season. I tried to make sense each time he moved on from kicker to kicker. I am currently finding trouble making sense of the Jets moving on from Amendola from a developmental point of view. Amendola has a huge leg, it separates him from much of the NFL if not all. His misses were not by much, seemed like a great candidate to continue to invest in, simply  tweeking minor adjustments here and there in hopes that he gets it right (similar to how Nick Folk started his career). When they cut Amendola for Kesserman I gave Douglas the benefit of the doubt because of course an NFL GM knows much more than I do. Maybe Amendola was a terrible teammate? Didnt work hard? Didnt listen to his coaches? I know this may sound crazy, but in a year where we are evaluating each position, why would we cut Amendola after showing such promise. Even in his last game he hit his last attempt forcing Houston to need a TD at the end rather than a FG. And to only allow  Kesseman two extra point attempts and then cut him pretty much by the end of the first quarter? Why not let him get every opportunity yesterday rather than making it painfully clear that it was 2 extra points and your out? And if it is clearly Douglas's case to Kesserman, then why now is it time to bring in a veteran? Why not sign a veteran  from the beginning or stick with the plan of developing a rookie/second year kicker? 

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

This does not bode well.

Indianapolis Colts[edit]

Piñeiro signed with the Indianapolis Colts on May 17, 2021,[37] but was waived on August 24, 2021.[38]

Washington Football Team[edit]

Piñeiro signed with the Washington Football Team's practice squad on September 3, 2021,[39] but was released a week later.

What you mean jellybean. He fits the profile perfectly. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...