The Importance of this upcoming Free Agency Period

slimjasi

We all know about the bevy of draft capital that we have again this offseason. That's great and obviously we need to find some foundational pieces on defense in this draft (hello edge, hello linebackers, hello safety) 

But I want to talk about free agency. As much as I have generally liked JD's approach to restocking this roster, his work in free agency has been underwhelming. I believe we currently lead the league in rookie snaps by a pretty wide margin and have had multiple rookies in the starting lineup for every single week of the season so far. This is not something we want again in 2022. Not if we want to actually compete for something. 

We desperately need veterans - especially on this defense, which is just lost. 

Who should the Jets target? Who would come here? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

As usual, it’s a pretty uninspiring group of possible FAs, plus it’s way too early to start making wish lists because the vast majority of players people are going to list won’t actually be free angsts come March.   

Yea, this always gets me. 

We really need some good veterans on this roster. Obviously the kids taking a step in years 2 and 3 is a big key, but we need to be aggressive in bringing in respectable vets, IMO

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

The impact FA’s won’t hit the market, or want to come here for fair value  

Yeah, it might help if we won some more games. The always be tanking (ABT) crowd won't want to here this, but veterans probably won't be jumping out of bed to come to the 4 win Jets. 

Joe Douglas may need to trade for some vets for the D. Guys with 2 to 3 years left on a deal who may not fit a scheme they're currently in but would here. With trades you are getting a fixed cost instead of getting into a bidding war, but they are not without risk. Maybe a guy is coming off of an injury, or perhaps they got a few red flags off the field. Joe Douglas is going to need to be creative this off-season acquiring talent for the D through trades, free agency, and the draft. To use a phrase by Bart Scott, JD certainly has enough "powder in the keg" to improve this roster in 2022. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Top 30 Dumpster Dive GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

It took longer than Kessman's NFL career to find a gif of a dumpster diver who looks remotely like JD. My dedication to JN cannot be questioned.

You could probably find a gif of a dumpster diver who is JD, if you searched hard enough

• Haha 1

I suspect Joe D's approach to FA is going to change in the next couple of years.  He's been dumpster diving the last few years knowing that he still didn't have a core group of young players to move forward with.  Now that a lot of of the dead money and weight from previous GMs will be coming off the books, and as he improves the roster through the draft, he is going to be more willing to spend money on bigger FAs to supplement the youth movement we are going through now.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

42 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We all know about the bevy of draft capital that we have again this offseason. That's great and obviously we need to find some foundational pieces on defense in this draft (hello edge, hello linebackers, hello safety) 

But I want to talk about free agency. As much as I have generally liked JD's approach to restocking this roster, his work in free agency has been underwhelming. I believe we currently lead the league in rookie snaps by a pretty wide margin and have had multiple rookies in the starting lineup for every single week of the season so far. This is not something we want again in 2022. Not if we want to actually compete for something. 

We desperately need veterans - especially on this defense, which is just lost. 

Who should the Jets target? Who would come here? 

It's all fine and dandy, except that we are the laughing stock of the league.  NOBODY wants to come here in free agency unless you really overpay, which is usually a bad strategy in F/A.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

As usual, it’s a pretty uninspiring group of possible FAs, plus it’s way too early to start making wish lists because the vast majority of players  are going to list teams that they won’t actually play for.   

You're a young 26-27 year old, looking to play on a competitor and make some coin.

Why would you come here?   At least REX could attract players.  and I don't like REX.

and before someone responds with.... they'll come for the money, yeah and then tank it after they get paid ala Holmes, Revis 2.0, Wilkerson.   

Some might come.. but the majority will look at Mosely and ask themselves... do I want what he has?

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Larz said:

Correct but we don't just need "impact" FAs. We need NFL caliber starters.

TBH, I think we should bolster the roster (offense and defense) with a few mid-level FA deals on dependable vets. Just add some real players (ideally coming from winning orgs) who know WTF they're doing,

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

It's all fine and dandy, except that we are the laughing stock of the league.  NOBODY wants to come here in free agency unless you really overpay, which is usually a bad strategy in F/A.

Definitely an issue. The solution is to finish the year strong and hope to lure guys with the “we are on the right track” argument - but yes, it’s tough 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You're a young 26-27 year old, looking to play on a competitor and make some coin.

Why would you come here?   At least REX could attract players.  and I don't like REX.

and before someone responds with.... they'll come for the money, yeah and then tank it after they get paid ala Holmes, Revis 2.0, Wilkerson.   

Some might come.. but the majority will look at Mosely and ask themselves... do I want what he has?

Agreed.  It’s going to be more of the same.  JDs best bet is to find middle of the road guys who are looking for an expanded role from where they are currently.   

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Larz said:

This!

People act like all these other free agents are doing great around the league. A couple are, but most are busts and a waste of money. Look at all the other FA WRs some here wanted like Golloday/Fuller/Juju/Samuel. All have been HUGE busts. So while Davis hasn't been good, you pretty much never find a #1, or even a #2, in Free Agency. 

I am not upset about JDs free agent strategy, he just needs 2022 to be more like his 2021 draft and not his 2020 draft. If that happens, we will be really good, really fast with or without big splashes in FA. 

And like you said, any elite FA won't come here until we start winning unless we severely overpay them like...Trumaine Johnson and CJ Mosley and Leveon Bell. Each of those turned out to be disasters. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Definitely an issue. The solution is to finish the year strong and hope to lure guys with the “we are on the right track” argument - but yes, it’s tough 

There's also nothing wrong with giving a guy a little more guaranteed money or another year on the deal if you're confident he's the right fit and is a professional.

People point out that elite players never hit FA -- true but \good teams let good players go because they can't afford to pay them (too busy paying the elite guys.)

The one thing JD has done well -- we aren't hampered by bad contracts. We have no talent but also aren't paying anyone.

Exploit the middle of the market inefficiency and sign guys who others have to let go.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I agree we need some solid vets on defense that fit well within the scheme and that should be priority. But ... the one FA player I'm dreaming of that will probably never even make it to free agency is Davante Adams. Write him a blank MFing check and whatever else it takes to convince him to come to the NYJ's.

Pass on Adams. He’ll be 29 next season and will want a boatload of money. 

20 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Correct but we don't just need "impact" FAs. We need NFL caliber starters.

TBH, I think we should bolster the roster (offense and defense) with a few mid-level FA deals on dependable vets. Just add some real players (ideally coming from winning orgs) who know WTF they're doing,

This is what the plan is, and has been all along.   JD plans to build through the draft.  Pick up a few proven starters on shorter deals while you continue to build young depth.

If you're going to offer a bigger contract I would use it on a TE, because this offense desperately needs a good one.

• Upvote 1

The Jets will obviously need to overpay, like every team, but I’m confident that players will want to come here when they talk to Saleh. He will be a serious asset this upcoming free agency period.

From the JD perspective, this is it. He’s drafted pretty nicely and punted on free agency every year and that’s why we haven’t had a fast turnaround - no more of that sh*t… time to push the chips into the table and go all in.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Today's FA signing is tomorrow's pay cut cramdown. 

• Upvote 1