The Importance of this upcoming Free Agency Period

slimjasi

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

We all know about the bevy of draft capital that we have again this offseason. That's great and obviously we need to find some foundational pieces on defense in this draft (hello edge, hello linebackers, hello safety) 

But I want to talk about free agency. As much as I have generally liked JD's approach to restocking this roster, his work in free agency has been underwhelming. I believe we currently lead the league in rookie snaps by a pretty wide margin and have had multiple rookies in the starting lineup for every single week of the season so far. This is not something we want again in 2022. Not if we want to actually compete for something. 

We desperately need veterans - especially on this defense, which is just lost. 

Who should the Jets target? Who would come here? 

I don't know what top tier FAs would come here or even who will be available but I do know that there is a premier Edge, OT/OG and CB prospect available in the top ten when the Jets are expected to have 2 draft picks (Hutchinson, Stingley, Neal) so they should be looking to target OLB, S and TE in FA. Although I would love if the Jets somehow grabbed Jalen Wydermyer in Rd. 2.

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

I actually believe just the opposite.  I think Salah is great.  

We have a bottom 5 roster but have some upside.  Mike Lafleur has been doing great since going up to the booth.  Defense is a dumpster but has about 4 - 5 quality starters. 

It really all depends on Zach Wilson who had a step-in-the-right-direction game yesterday.  The best thing about Zach yesterday was his decision making.  Has to clean up his accuracy as many throws were 1-2 feet off target, but the most important 2 aspects of QB'ing are mental ability to understand the game and read coverages and overall physical ability.  Zach has both and there's reason to be hopeful.  

I'm not worried about Wilson , way too early to pass judgement on the kid , either way , but Saleh , I just don't think this guy is ready to be a HC.
I agree with you that we don't have many quality starters but I just don't see effort from these guys and I also see guys out of positions , not wrapping up on tackles ... that's a direct reflection on the coaching staff .
Also , I'm tired of hearing what a genius Joe Douglas is as a GM ... this team was built by Douglas , he obviously thought fielding a team loaded with rookies was acceptable to go into the season , with.

Here we are a year removed from a coach who was the laughingstock of the league and we're headed for another top 5 pick in the draft ... I just can't put any faith in these guys & I don't think many FA's are going to want to be part of this disaster.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

You're a young 26-27 year old, looking to play on a competitor and make some coin.

Why would you come here?   At least REX could attract players.  and I don't like REX.

and before someone responds with.... they'll come for the money, yeah and then tank it after they get paid ala Holmes, Revis 2.0, Wilkerson.   

Some might come.. but the majority will look at Mosely and ask themselves... do I want what he has?

good points but that's where saleh has got to sell the program to the prospects.  imo he has a better chance than bowles or gase in selling the team even if they're not doing so well right now.  he can certainly point to lawson being out and becton being out and whatever plans douglas has through the draft.  plus it's not like mosely isn't getting his money.  he is and possibly a bit more than had he gone elsewhere.

3 hours ago, JoeDouglasFart said:

People do weird sh*t, like been a Jets fan...so you never know.

Our two moments in the sun during my adult life were when we brought in Parcells and Rex, respectively. Parcells was on a vendetta ride against Kraft and came here to screw him (fine with me). And Rex was known at the time to be brilliant defensive mind but also an obnoxious, loudmouthed man child who Ozzie told he was never getting the big chair there. We also fired Pete Carrol (ok, fair that he wasn't ready) and lost Belichick because Leon Hess died a few months too early. If you submitted this script to Hollywood it would be rejected because there's no way audiences could suspend their disbelief.

6 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

It's all fine and dandy, except that we are the laughing stock of the league.  NOBODY wants to come here in free agency unless you really overpay, which is usually a bad strategy in F/A.

Pay Day Money GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

CJ Mosely came here. Lev Bell came here. Another big name player will take the extra dough and come here. 

Interestingly, JD did ok on FA in 2020 with McGovern and Fant playing key roles on the team, but his 2020 draft was lacking.  In 2021, Davis, Davis and Davis did not help much, but the draft looks very good.

So if JD gets both right in the same year, that would be helpful.  

I think the key for JD is the Kenny Rogers off season-knowing when to hold them, fold them and run.  If he can upgrade over Becton and/or Wilson, he should take it. 

10 hours ago, slimjasi said:

We all know about the bevy of draft capital that we have again this offseason. That's great and obviously we need to find some foundational pieces on defense in this draft (hello edge, hello linebackers, hello safety) 

But I want to talk about free agency. As much as I have generally liked JD's approach to restocking this roster, his work in free agency has been underwhelming. I believe we currently lead the league in rookie snaps by a pretty wide margin and have had multiple rookies in the starting lineup for every single week of the season so far. This is not something we want again in 2022. Not if we want to actually compete for something. 

We desperately need veterans - especially on this defense, which is just lost. 

Who should the Jets target? Who would come here? 

Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Yogi Bear, Boo Boo, Winnie the Pooh, Eyeore, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck. Any of these guys would be an upgrade.