Corey Davis out for season

21 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Davis is who he is. A decent #2 a good #3. Nothing more than that. JD OVERPAID for him. Mims needs to pull up his panties and get his mojo going. 

Every team overpays for guys like that.  If you can’t draft and develop them and/or extend them when you have bargaining position, you go into the FA market and pay for guys like Corey Davis, or Marcus Maye, or George Fant, or Jeremiah Crowder.  That is what NFL FA is.   Maybe we slightly overpaid for Davis, but he is what he is.  He will be motivated next year, as wills be Mosley and others.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Let's welcome Vyncynt Smyth to the active roster. Anyone who thinks that Mims benefits from this have not been watching the New York Jets for the past two seasons.  

This is a situation where we "should" see the benefit of having our Coach and GM on the same page.

I dont care which positions Mims does or doesnt know.  I dont care if he had covid, food poisoning, etc.   There is no reason on earth for him not to be getting 40+ snaps every game the rest of the way to see what he can actually do.  

Zach looked good throwing more slants yesterday, which plays to Mims strengths.  Let him take over Davis' role and lets see if he can make plays during the game.  It really doesnt benefit anyone to play Keenan Cole at this point in the season.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Davis is here for 1 more year.  He will probably be cut after that.

Mimsy never gets the ball thrown to him.  When he does, he seems to catch it.  But theres probably a reason why he never gets the ball thrown to him.

I saw becton outside the jets stadium with about 3 minutes left in the game.  It looks like this guy has zero intentions of playing this year.  Was signing some autographs and staying warm in his gucci sweatshirt.

WTF ?  Players, even though they are injured dont stay until the game is over?  No support of their teammates  ?  No listening to what the coaches have to say?   Doesnt seem right to me

• Upvote 1

Love how suddenly Corey Davis is garbage and we're better off without him. Highest YPG on the team. Higher catch percentage and YPC than Moore. 2nd most TDs on the team (tied with Carter).

Yes I know, he dropped some balls and that's a highly-visible and frustrating screw up. But you know who isn't dropping balls? Denzel Mims. Guess why.

Mark my words, losing him will be used frequently as an excuse should Wilson fail to keep progressing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jethead said:

Forget #1 vs #2. He's an asset. 

Exactly. Perfection is the enemy of the good for many Jets fans. Cousins, screw him, loser hasn't won a ring. Corey Davis? Not a "True #1." Haven't we learned by now that "all of nothing" leads to nothing for this team?

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

i watched as close as I could when Davis went out to see if Mims was going to get playing time. While I did see him on the field, Jeff Smith either split time with him 50% or possibly more. Sunday will be very telling for Mims and where he is at with this coaching staff.

I simply don't see it working either - but there is a little hope left. 

I think Mims was getting some run early.  Before Davis went down.  He had that crack back penalty (where is tehfalcon when you need him?)  Did that tick them off?  Seemed kind of close to be too upset.  He got his only catch in garbage time for 4 yards.  Smith had a nice catch that didn't count because it was after a sack, and they took the defensive holding call for the first instead of the play.  I felt like Mims did more, both good and bad, but that is all that is showing in the stats I see. 

Neither of these guys is particularly good, but I'm not so sure how much better guys like Demarcus Robinson or Byron Pringle look.  People here often covet those guys.  I think if either turns into Chris Conley or Mecole Hardman we should be happy as sh*t.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

I think a lot of people on here are forgetting how good Davis looked early in the season.  He looked terrific.

As for Mims, he can't catch 'em if they don't throw it to him.  And for one reason or another, they haven't decided to do that much.  They might have already made up their mind on Mims.

Good post.  If he's an important piece of your future plans,  you develop him, scheme a few easy ones to get him going,  etc. If he's not, you treat him like a JAG, which it appears they are doing. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

here is no reason on earth for him not to be getting 40+ snaps every game the rest of the way to see what he can actually do.  

There are plenty of reasons. The staff isn't sandbagging Mims. Mims is holding Mims back. Two different coaching staffs and the same result from Mims both times. If he excelled under Gase, I would have agreed with you. He underachieved with Gase, and is a bigger underachiever with Saleh. Funny how Moore and Berrios get targets but Mims doesn't. Funny how four different QBs didn't throw the ball to Mims. 

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

Exactly. Perfection is the enemy of the good for many Jets fans. Cousins, screw him, loser hasn't won a ring. Corey Davis? Not a "True #1." Haven't we learned by now that "all of nothing" leads to nothing for this team?

Seriously blows my mind and I say it all the time on the pod.  Too many fans seem to have two categories they put players in.  The first is HoF candidate.  The other is "worthless".  If you're not the former, then you can only be the latter.  Hence, guys like Corey Davis are trash and we should be looking to find ways to cut him now.  SMH.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

There are plenty of reasons. The staff isn't sandbagging Mims. Mims is holding Mims back. Two different coaching staffs and the same result from Mims both times. If he excelled under Gase, I would have agreed with you. He underachieved with Gase, and is a bigger underachiever with Saleh. Funny how Moore and Berrios get targets but Mims doesn't. Funny how four different QBs didn't throw the ball to Mims. 

Denzel Mims rookie season:

Injured weeks 1-6 and had no camp.

Dropped 1 pass on 44 targets.

15.5 YPC and 357 yards receiving with the worst HC/OC in team history.

Denzel Mims in year 2:

3 drops on 15 targets

Played at least half of offensive snaps just twice all year.

These two things are the same to you?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Seriously blows my mind and I say it all the time on the pod.  Too many fans seem to have two categories they put players in.  The first is HoF candidate.  The other is "worthless".  If you're not the former, then you can only be the latter.  Hence, guys like Corey Davis are trash and we should be looking to find ways to cut him now.  SMH.

Love your pod. I can almost hear an English accent developing, yew tw*t :D 

Seriously, though. I think the attitude provides some psychic relief in the form of "had we gone a different direction/not whiffed on that 'high potential' guy we weren't going anywhere anyway..."

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Davis is who he is. A decent #2 a good #3. Nothing more than that. JD OVERPAID for him. Mims needs to pull up his panties and get his mojo going. 

He's the 20th highest paid WR on an APY basis and with one of the newer contracts, some of that is just inflation. He's pretty much spot on paid for what he was in TN and for what he remains here (hat tip @Warfish). If he hasn't lived up to unrealistic expectations that he would perform as a "True #1" (which is a deliciously vague designation, anyway), there's nothing I can do about that.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

He's the 20th highest paid WR on an APY basis and with one of the newer contracts, some of that is just inflation. He's pretty much spot on paid for what he was in TN and for what he remains here (hat tip @Warfish). If he hasn't lived up to unrealistic expectations that he would perform as a "True #1" (which is a deliciously vague designation, anyway), there's nothing I can do about that.

So youre saying he sucks. Youre right.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Every team overpays for guys like that.  If you can’t draft and develop them and/or extend them when you have bargaining position, you go into the FA market and pay for guys like Corey Davis, or Marcus Maye, or George Fant, or Jeremiah Crowder.  That is what NFL FA is.   Maybe we slightly overpaid for Davis, but he is what he is.  He will be motivated next year, as wills be Mosley and others.

JD suckered again. JD's FA's have been deplorable. JD needs to suck it up instaed of sucking at signing FA's. Davis has stunted Zach's development rather than enhanced it. 

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

JD suckered again. JD's FA's have been deplorable. JD needs to suck it up instaed of sucking at signing FA's. Davis has stunted Zach's development rather than enhanced it. 

Lol. Highest YPC on the team. Higher catch % and YPR than Moore. Tied for 2nd on the team in TDs with Carter. 

I need to quote as many of these as possible for when the script flips to "Well, Zach did lose his #1 WR..."

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Denzel Mims rookie season:

Injured weeks 1-6 and had no camp.

Dropped 1 pass on 44 targets.

15.5 YPC and 357 yards receiving with the worst HC/OC in team history.

Denzel Mims in year 2:

3 drops on 15 targets

Played at least half of offensive snaps just twice all year.

These two things are the same to you?

Did you think that what you posted was going to convince me that Mims was good?

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Love how suddenly Corey Davis is garbage and we're better off without him. Highest YPG on the team. Higher catch percentage and YPC than Moore. 2nd most TDs on the team (tied with Carter).

Yes I know, he dropped some balls and that's a highly-visible and frustrating screw up. But you know who isn't dropping balls? Denzel Mims. Guess why.

Mark my words, losing him will be used frequently as an excuse should Wilson fail to keep progressing.

Maybe when they perform surgery on his abdomen they can sew hands to his wrists as well.

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

Maybe when they perform surgery on his abdomen they can sew hands to his wrists as well.

And maybe they can install an abacus in your foot so when you put it in your mouth you can learn something about numbers :D  

All ZW has to do is look Mims way, which he doesn't...it's almost like he is being coached to look elsewhere...very strange indeed.

Denzel Mims is awful, I’ve never seen someone so clueless on the field. The guy still doesn’t know when he’s in plays or where to line up. It was comical watching him this past Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Meanwhile, Mims has 8 catches and 2 drops, but I'm sure that will all go just fine.

I anxiously await those who have used Davis as their favorite sacrificial lamb for Wilson so far, to later start using his loss as an excuse if Zach's play doesn't immediately improve.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1