Took a few weeks but the pass protection isn't an issue anymore

AFJF

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

This doesn't mean they won't have a bad week here and there, but Zach has now been sacked 10 times in the past 5 games after 15 sacks in the first three.  This, despite often playing with a large deficit with tons of obvious passing situations.  

I know, I know...

"But dood, dere was dat one play when he got sacked and stuff"

Sure looked good didn't it. It's not just the amount of sacks it's the amount of time Zach had in the pocket. 

Nice thing to see. 

However. It raises a question. Do we go with another Oline with one of our first round picks? Or do we double down on defense (I assume we'll take a DE with one of them)

2 hours ago, Flightattendant said:

Sure looked good didn't it. It's not just the amount of sacks it's the amount of time Zach had in the pocket. 

Nice thing to see. 

However. It raises a question. Do we go with another Oline with one of our first round picks? Or do we double down on defense (I assume we'll take a DE with one of them)

I think it comes down to:  Is LDT good enough to continue starting?  Is that the route we want to go (he left last game with an ankle injury.). Also we most likely won’t resign Moses.  That means we are relying completely on Becton to stay healthy and perform.  I think a mid round OL pick is the way to go unless we don’t upgrade RG and Linderbaum is there for us in the 1st.

Just now, Jethead said:

Why won't we resign Mose? He's a good player who has experience with us and won't be too expensive. I would certainly make him a fair offer. 

Oh I certainly would too.  It’s just that he purposely took a shorter deal to test FA this year and probably won’t  want to come back to a 3-5 win team where Fant and Becton are most likely starting.

2 hours ago, Flightattendant said:

Nice thing to see. 

First pick should be a DB or pass rusher. Second pick should be a C or G. With that said, the OL os a lot better than the beginning of the season

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

This doesn't mean they won't have a bad week here and there, but Zach has now been sacked 10 times in the past 5 games after 15 sacks in the first three.  This, despite often playing with a large deficit with tons of obvious passing situations.  

I know, I know...

"But dood, dere was dat one play when he got sacked and stuff"

241ca09c5ae86715d434528b5e570c43.gif

The OL has definitely gelled and played better as a unit, both in the run and the pass.  Honest question, though (since I haven't been paying close enough attention) -- how much of the improved pass pro is attributable to Zach finally (1) learning to go through reads, (2) get rid of the ball a little more quickly, and (3) step into the correct part of the pocket?  I know he's still having some issues with (3), but it seems like the processing speed is improving.   Now I will duck as jgb lobs insults my way.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Flightattendant said:

Nice thing to see. 

The OL is fine and had heavy investment already, only way an OL makes any sense is a trade back down into the 18-22 area for a LOT of picks,  if Linderbaum or Green are there then maybe, but we also need to remember that we’d have 3 first round picks looking for 2nd contracts in consecutive years. Not sensible ….there will be very good linemen available in the 2nd Round and beyond

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Flightattendant said:

Nice thing to see. 

Let's look at this, shall we?

First, I have several questions:  1. Moses contract is up at the end of this year?  Will we resign him?

2. Fant is entering his last year of his contract next year.  Will we resign him?

Becton has not been able to stay healthy, and it would be foolish to think that all of his injury problems will be behind him going forward.

So, unless the Jets resign Moses, we must address the tackle issue in the offseason or draft.

I don't know if our new right guard's contract is up at the end of this year, but I would love to resign him if it is.  Having said that, I would very much like to draft a center if possible.

Unfortunately, we need a tight end and wide receiver on offense, and on defense we need a shut down corner, stud linebacker or edge rusher who can tackle and rush the QB, and probably a safety since we lose Marcus Maye.  Don't forget we will get Carl Lawson back healthy next year, and that should shore up the defensive end position.

I’m hoping for a Connor Williams signing this off-season. Dude has been improving every year and is still young. Former 2nd round pick. He’s had a ton of flags this year, but that’s at outlier compared to his career thus far and may help reduce his price. Instant upgrade at rg. Gimme dalton Shultz from the boys too

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

Becton should play right tackle next year.  He has not earned the left tackle spot, and putting him there is a dis service to the entire team.

When this topic came up at the beginning of the year I was 100% against it but now I cannot see how he comes back at LT and I honestly wonder if that is part of the reason hes being held out of games/practice.

1.  He obviously cant transition from LT to RT in mid season, there is no time for those reps and they have to gameplan each week.

2.  We cannot be the only people that realize it would be insane to move Fant back to RT for the last few games.  It would be wrong on multiple levels.

3.  Even forgetting what a disservice it would be to Fant the player, but as for the teams performance, the OL is playing well enough that its not necessary to make a change. 

So what exactly can Saleh and JD do except tell him to keep rehabbing and be 100% for the offseason to get your conditioning right and to begin the transition to RT. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

When this topic came up at the beginning of the year I was 100% against it but now I cannot see how he comes back at LT and I honestly wonder if that is part of the reason hes being held out of games/practice.

1.  He obviously cant transition from LT to RT in mid season, there is no time for those reps and they have to gameplan each week.

2.  We cannot be the only people that realize it would be insane to move Fant back to RT for the last few games.  It would be wrong on multiple levels.

3.  Even forgetting what a disservice it would be to Fant the player, but as for the teams performance, the OL is playing well enough that its not necessary to make a change. 

So what exactly can Saleh and JD do except tell him to keep rehabbing and be 100% for the offseason to get your conditioning right and to begin the transition to RT. 

Sign me up.  After his pathetic performance in camp this year, I never want to see him on the left side again.  He could be a pro bowl right tackle.  Let him play there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

It's possible they're keeping him out longer because they'd have to make a decision: who gets benched? Bench one of the two tackles who've both put solid seasons together, or bench the 1st round pick who looked so promising last season. I half wonder if they were (and maybe are) waiting to see if one of them gets injured so there's no decision to make.

Not hoping for an injury, mind you, but more that if one was going to get injured anyway it's better if that happens before they bring Becton back. If they were going to keep the OL intact even after Becton returns to the active roster then it's bad optics for him. Of course, it's also bad optics - arguably worse - to sub out either a healthy starting LT who's given up just 1 sack all season, or a healthy, solid career RT, with a 2nd yr player coming off IR who's never played the position. 

I don't think he's unready to return to the field. Just that there's nowhere to put him right this minute and it's less embarrassing if they say he's still rehabbing. If Fant or Moses got injured, Becton would suddenly be well enough to start the following week. That's my guess.

• Upvote 2

Such a weird season I was expecting the defense to be just a few pieces away but it turns out to be the opposite...I wouldn't complain if they drafted another lineman high but with Fant and Mcgovern having good years you can draft a few later and just focus on playmakers.  Edge, WR, CB. LB.  I still think we missed a great opportunity last year which was the best O-line draft in years. 

I swear I posted in this thread earlier but my post is gone.
Anyways AVT has been really bad of late.

This is actually something I always expect of rookie big guys. This is right around the time their college season is over, they’re not used to the longevity and the fat ones usually break down first.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app