Did the Jets-Eagles game have more positive or more negative?

Hex

More Positive or Negative?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Positive or Negative?

Just now, jgb said:

Going with positive, Alex.

My expectations were basement, Zach delivered ground floor. It was quite honestly relieving. Keep building, kiddo.

And as a bonus, my boy Minshew did alright for himself.

I totally agree. Zach could do better, but we weren't looking for him to transform into Aaron Rodgers suddenly, we were looking for progress, and that's exactly what we got. 

Minshew doing pretty good is always nice to see as well, he seems like a likeable person

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Hex said:

I totally agree. Zach could do better, but we weren't looking for him to transform into Aaron Rodgers suddenly, we were looking for progress, and that's exactly what we got. 

Minshew doing pretty good is always nice to see as well, he seems like a likeable person

Keep him away from your mom and grandma, though.

• Haha 2

Injuries aside, obviously positive.

The negative parts were things we already knew.  Horrendous defense, bad parts of Zach, bad kicking, horrendous defense (it is horrendous).

Positive parts showed more improvements.  OL continues to play well, good/improved parts of Zach, LaFluer, Elijah Moore, Saleh going WWE on pathetic refs.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Injuries aside, obviously positive.

The negative parts were things we already knew.  Horrendous defense, bad parts of Zach, bad kicking, horrendous defense (it is horrendous).

Positive parts showed more improvements.  OL continues to play well, good/improved parts of Zach, LaFluer, Elijah Moore, Saleh going WWE on pathetic refs.

Don't forget the horrendous defense

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Everyone knows the defense is a joke, so there’s no surprise there they couldn’t get off the field. But the offense definitely provided a lot of positives from Zach to Elijah and the offensive line. Looking forward to them taking that next step forward against New Awlins this weekend 

• Upvote 3

Overall, slightly positive because we saw some much needed improvement from the QB.

BUT the defense was almost unwatchable, and as much as I want to give this entire coaching staff a full offseason together to reflect upon and build on what they started this year, I do wonder if we can realistically bring Ulbrich back. The defense lacks talent everywhere except for IDL, but this defense just makes so many mistakes and is seemingly constantly out of position. IDK. They are very young. Just amazed by how bad they have looked at times. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

Overall, slightly positive because we saw some much needed improvement from the QB.

BUT the defense was almost unwatchable, and as much as I want to give this entire coaching staff a full offseason together to reflect upon and build on what they started this year, I do wonder if we can realistically bring Ulbrich back. The defense lacks talent everywhere except for IDL, but this defense just makes so many mistakes and is seemingly constantly out of position. IDK. They are very young. Just amazed by how bad they have looked at times. 

Yea, the Jets won't go anywhere until the defense plays better. I honestly don't know where the problem is, but it seems like the coaching staff's focus is on the offense. If ZW continues to improve, I think the coaching staff will focus more on the defense. Like you, I don't really know either though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

Yea, the Jets won't go anywhere until the defense plays better. I honestly don't know where the problem is, but it seems like the coaching staff's focus is on the offense. If ZW continues to improve, I think the coaching staff will focus more on the defense. Like you, I don't really know either though.

And, to be fair the high draft picks have been all poured into the offense over the last couple of years, so we should expect the offense to be further along. This is where I want to cautiously bring up Mims again. We know Becton has serious talent but has weight and possible durability concerns. The other high draft picks over the last couple of years (Wilson, AVT, Moore) are all playing and contributing. It would be REALLY great to see Mims make some catches. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I cant vote positive watching this defense make zero progress

but good work and progress by O

I agree this defense is so bad it’s hard to watch. That being said defenses can be fixed with more talent but if Wilson is a bust we’re set back 3 years so any improvement from him gets a positive vote for me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Negative. 

If you had offered me Zach's stat-line before the game, I would have assumed positive, but our defense was completely inept and soured the rest of the game. Minshaw and Goedert looked like they playing 7 on 7 there for a while. It looked like the Eagles had open receivers everywhere, with no Jet defender within 10 yards of them.

And then you had the kicker and punter woes. I liked Mann when we drafted him but he looked terrible on Sunday. And the kicker situation is amateur hour and wouldn't be tolerated at any credible franchise. 

Ideally, you'd look to support Zach next year in his second season, through the draft and free agency. But the defense was so staggeringly bad, it's hard to see how we don't target the defensive side of the ball in April. You can't allow a mid-ranking team like the Eagles to dominate the time of possession in the way they did in the 3rd quarter, and expect to compete. 

• Upvote 3

i said positive cause its all about Zach and the offense right now. the defense is horrible but im convince there is nothing that could be done this year. they either need better players or to change the scheme which cant be done till the offseason.

the best thing about Zachs ProFormance was its was all in the 1st half. no garbage time.

remember the knock on Zach this season was most of the good stats and TDs he had all happened after the defense had a lead and they let up. they let Zach get those plays.

well not on Sunday. he played his best half of football while getting 3 TDs. and 0 INTs. lets hope he can build on that and keep it going for the whole game.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

it wasn't great.  the jets managed to score 3 td's in the first half but then the offense stalled in the second.  wilson still needs to put some touch on his passes and the receivers need to hold on.  the oline played pretty well in both pass protection and run blocking.  the defense was another story.  they were just out of position too many times on the same type of play.  and it's so much as there being a lack of physical talent but they don't seem to fully grasp where they need to be or how to rotate if a players gets picked.  the run defense wasn't good.  the dline was getting owned and they bit on too many plays.  again it's not so much physical talent but how they need to maintain their position and not bite.

• Upvote 3

So, I was about to vote and then give my reasoning and then it dawned on me…

The fact that we’re all trying to decide if a game like Sundays was a net positive or negative speaks volumes about this team and it’s beaten down fan base.

I mean how bad are things around we that we even consider this a debatable subject?

• Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, undertow said:

Tough call I'm not sure if Zach's positives outweighed the incompetence of the coach.  Either way the odds of this duo being the next great QB coach combo is close to zero. lol

So what did you see from the coach during the game that was incompetent?  Clock management?  4th down tries?  Curious, the defense sucks but the HC did what wrong Sunday? 

• Upvote 2

The defensive regression is maddening to watch. It's also surprising since the DB's and safeties (despite the loss of the two starters) haven't been as glaring a horror as originally feared. Instead, the front seven have been roadkill. Granted there were injuries there as well, and although the DL and LB units "seemed" deeper, they have been abused consistently. Somewhere in the first four picks next year, a tackling machine/Edge guy needs to be selected. I think the paucity of LB talent (aside from Mosely and Williams) has made the DL ease up on their tactic of getting upfield and disrupting plays, because every screen is just ripping through the middle of the defense.

On the offensive front, a true #1 WR, a TE and one OL (going somewhere, depending on the center/guard and tackle shuffles to come) will cure a lot of ills, 

Everyone having a year under their belts, players and staff alike, should benefit them all - and they should be eager to put the stench of this inevitable, unfortunate year of painful growth behind them. 

• Upvote 3

The end result was a positive.

The D is young and losing a player a day it seems, so expectations should be low before the coin toss. Coaching seems to be hitting a brick wall of sorts too.

The O put together drives in the first half that put points on the board. They were not pussy footing around, but shockingly aggressive. 

Penalties and bad ref calls need to go away, but the game was encouraging.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

The defensive regression is maddening to watch. It's also surprising since the DB's and safeties (despite the loss of the two starters) haven't been as glaring a horror as originally feared. Instead, the front seven have been roadkill. Granted there were injuries there as well, and although the DL and LB units "seemed" deeper, they have been abused consistently. Somewhere in the first four picks next year, a tackling machine/Edge guy needs to be selected. I think the paucity of LB talent (aside from Mosely and Williams) has made the DL ease up on their tactic of getting upfield and disrupting plays, because every screen is just ripping through the middle of the defense.

On the offensive front, a true #1 WR, a TE and one OL (going somewhere, depending on the center/guard and tackle shuffles to come) will cure a lot of ills, 

Everyone having a year under their belts, players and staff alike, should benefit them all - and they should be eager to put the stench of this inevitable, unfortunate year of painful growth behind them. 

Good post, and although I agree with everything you said, we still have a very big problem. What we’re talking about is becoming better than expansion level talent wise here.

Let’s say we’re able to get all those pieces… boom we’ve improved. Yet even within our division (forget the conference and league itself) we are years behind the Patriots, Bills and Dolphins.

They aren’t going to remain stagnant, they’ll be looking to improve also. We are so far behind everyone else, the only chance we had of becoming relevant was by stumbling upon a Mahomes/Rodgers type QB who could transform a franchise by himself.

We have Zach Wilson. All I’m going to say about that is, if you think he will be that type of QB, then it’s fair to think this team can contend in the near future. If not? We’re a 4th place AFC East team the next 5-10 years hoping to sneak in a 3rd place finish every blue moon.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The positive.  I will probably be dead before the next Jets Eagle game.   The negative.  I have never actually seen the Jets beat the Eagles. 

I think they play next in 2023, correct me if I'm wrong

Positive. Before the season everyone was saying they wanted Zach to progress and didn’t care about w/l. What happened? Zach has his best game and the offense was rolling. The defense was trash, but that’s much easier to fix than offense. Half of the defensive starters are out, so not much can be expected out of them. If the offense keeps improving (with this schedule they should) then I’ll be happy regardless of w/l. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

The killer was TOP

Yea. I say a lot that the one thing that a defense could do worse than constant 1st downs is holding them to 3rd downs and then allowing them to get a first down, again and again. Because not only does it allow the other team to dominate TOP, it tires out the defense, making them rely on the offense, which normally doesn't lead to good things.

• Upvote 1