“No dumb jocks” - Emmanuel Acho decodes Cooper Kupp’s quick processing of the defense.

I used to know a mechanic who could diagnose and fix any problem on just about any car you put in front of him.  He'd have it figured out in a few seconds.  He also couldn't read and talked like he had marbles in his mouth.  

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Geno Smith once got the time zones mixed up on a west coast trip and missed a film session prepping for the game.

Genius! 

I remember that.  It's a true story.

Geno couldn't tell time and Rex couldn't locate the meeting rooms where the offensive units were meeting in his own building. lol

Is it any wonder that dynamic duo quickly took the Jets sideways during those years?

• Haha 1

let's be clear, most athletes aren't rocket scientists but the top players seem to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time.  i remember hearing favre describes what went wrong on a play (when he played for the jets) in a post game presser.  he described the play to a tee and analyzed why it didn't work.  it was pretty amazing.  these guys all have really good court and field awareness.

I mean it’s really not 3-D chess or anything.  There’s some unfamiliar verbiage but once you know the terms and study a bit…kinda like any other job in a way. 

Wall Street lingo like Short this, long that, arbitrage… same

Medical lingo be like pulmonary, intracranial pressure, myocardial…same

The fact is there are dumb jocks- don’t think Dez Bryant or Denzel Mims would know what the hell Kupp is talking about right there.  They just run out there and try to physically be better than the CB.

• Upvote 1

There is general intelligence and specialized intelligence. Successful people at the top of their field need to have the latter. In that sense, good NFL players are geniuses in their field with a couple exceptions of guys who are so superior athletically even compared to the best athletes on Earth that they have relied completely on that. Randy Moss, maybe. Guys like that.

• Upvote 1