..patience is necessary with NY Jets QB Zach Wilson

rox

It was quite apparent early on that many Jets fans weren't fond of the Zach Wilson pick. The consensus was that some fans wanted to hear Justin Fields' name called instead of Wilson -- which of course didn't happen.And it seems that alone caused Wilson to lose the trust and faith of many of the New York faithful before he even walked on stage to accept his jersey.

Not exactly a fair assessment of a player if the main reason he isn't liked is because he isn't somebody else. Many even seem like they would be happier being correct about Wilson not being the quarterback of the future instead of being proved wrong.The New York market hasn't been kind either. Of course, New York has been starved for competitive football for a while now, with the last playoff victory for either the Jets or Giants coming with the latter's championship in 2011.The Jets themselves have gone just a bit longer, with their last appearance being most fondly remembered thanks to an upset win over the Patriots in the 2010 playoffs.

It's easy to understand why fans are so demanding of a quality product, as unless the Jets go on an unprecedented run over the remaining weeks, they will likely have missed the playoffs for an 11th straight season.So where does Zach Wilson come into play with this? It seems he has painted a target on his chest to absorb the criticism of a franchise with more head coaches than winning seasons in the last decade.

It isn't unreasonable for fans to be frustrated that they're looking at mock drafts in November instead of hoping for a deep playoff run.But this team wasn't built for success. At least not yet. The Jets had 12 rookies on the roster heading into the season, and were the youngest roster in the league. That isn't mentioning all the inexperienced coaches on the staff either.Just as young players develop, so do coaches. It wasn't long ago that many fans were openly vocal about firing Mike LaFleur.Looking at this in December, where Mike LaFleur should be receiving a lot of credit for helping slow the game down for Wilson, while also finding ways to get Elijah Moore the ball in order to showcase his talent, it seems crazy. It's a prime example that inexperienced personnel will grow with time, yet Wilson hasn't been given that same treatment.

- -  https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-zach-wilson-public-enemy#slideshow-top-bar-_hrigxdl5l

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Zach needs to continue stack competent games and eventually have a few good ones in the last 5.

Im very interested in the NO game. He wasn’t great in Houston, built off it, and had a competent/solid game against the Eagles. Now build on that for NO.

Would love to see one interception free game before the season closes out. Regardless we need a viable backup option and give Zach a competition in camp. Competition is good for him.

The way we approached the position this year was a disaster and hoping the “young coaches” learned from that. 

I would sign Flacco again if he accepts that he's a backup and is a good presence in the QB room.  I think Mike White would be a pretty good backup, but he seems to break every time he steps on the field and that's the last thing you need when you've already had an injury to the starter.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You are basing statistics and numbers as the variables that will be telling. I could not disagree more.

For me, it will be decision making, anticipation of development of plays, ability to work in the flow of plays and relaxing in the scheme of the offense.

Those will portray his future far more than any "numbers". 

I would argue stats and good decisions making often correlate 

If Wilson is consistently bad you’re gonna get less patience. He’s currently 32 in DVOA and DYAR and is significantly below what other rookie QBs who have gone on to be good did in their rookie seasons. The less patience the better, IMO. He’s not on scholarship. 

• Upvote 2

If Wilson is consistently bad you’re gonna get less patience. He’s currently 32 in DVOA and DYAR and is significantly below what other rookie QBs who have gone on to be good did in their rookie seasons. The less patience the better, IMO. He’s not on scholarship. 
Such poor thinking .. the VAST majority of QBs enter the league and struggle their rookie season .. some dont even play ... its the sophmore season that really begins the the critical evaluation. This is especially tru of underclassmen who come out early.

Stesdy improvement is what you want.

Best thing so far about Wilson .. i dont see any deer in the headlights looks.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I would argue stats and good decisions making often correlate 

Good decisions lead to better stats. You had it backwards.

Saying "I would like to see a game with no interceptions" is stat driven. All interceptions are not created equally. A QB can have a 2 interception game, and have played a great game. Analyze WHY those interceptions happened, not that they happened.

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Such poor thinking .. the VAST majority of QBs enter the league and struggle their rookie season .. some dont even play ... its the sophmore season that really begins the the critical evaluation. This is especially tru of underclassmen who come out early.

There’s struggling and bombing. Wilson is bombing. He’s still yet to put together a full game where he looks the part.

33 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Rookie QB with rookies in major roles around him in a new offense being installed by a rookie OC under a rookie HC. Not exactly the situation Mac Jones stepped into. He needs to play better but, the thing is, he’s already started to play better. I’m more concerned about how he finishes the year than where he is today. And that goes for the entire team. Fans can be as impatient as they please but, barring an implosion down the stretch, he’ll be the returning incumbent starter next season. 

Well isn't that one giant man made out of straw?  Meanwhile, you can invert the entire theme of it, and it quite effortlessly translates to the other side just as well.  Better that than letting crazy things like reality muddy the waters of conjecture on either side, right?

It was quite apparent early on that many Jets fans were extremely fond of the Zach Wilson pick. The consensus was that some fans wanted to hear Wilson's name called instead of anyone else -- which of course did happen.And it seems that alone caused Wilson to gain blind trust and faith of many of the New York faithful before he even walked on stage to accept his jersey.

A completely fair assessment of a player if the main reason he is liked is because he isn't somebody else. Many even seem like they would be happier to blame others for Wilson not being the quarterback of the future instead of being proved wrong.The New York market hasn't been undeservedly extra kind either. Of course, New York has been without any need for competitive football for a while now, given the last playoff victory for either the Jets or Giants just very recently coming with the latter's championship in 2011.The Jets themselves have only gone a little bit longer, with their last appearance being extremely fondly remembered thanks to a win over the Patriots in the 2010 playoffs.

It's easy to understand why fans should have no expectations of a quality product, as unless the Jets go on an unwanted run over the remaining weeks, they will understandably have avoided playing extra games for merely an 11th straight season.So where does Zach Wilson come into play with this? It seems he must be exempt from any criticism.

It is unreasonable for fans to be frustrated that they get to look at mock drafts in November instead of wasting time on a deep playoff run, because this team was not built for success. At least not ever. The Jets had 12 rookies on the roster heading into the season, and were the youngest roster in the league. That is before blaming the inexperienced coaches on the staff either.Just as young players fail to develop, it's only because of the coaches. It wasn't long ago that many fans were openly vocal about blaming Mike LaFleur.Looking at this in December, where Mike LaFleur can unfortunately no longer be scapegoated, due to allegedly slowing the game down for Wilson, while having previously failed to find ways to get Elijah Moore the ball in order to showcase Wilson's talent, it seems crazy. It's a prime example that inexperienced personnel may never grow with time, yet Wilson has to be given much better treatment than others.

Omg really?  What about the legions of fans that loved the pick and were calling him the best college QB they've ever seen and the best NFL prospect of their lifetime?   lol

Nobody gives a **** who they didnt pick, they care about that fact he's the worst QB in the NFL and was the 2nd overall pick after hearing the nonsesne above for an entire offseason.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There’s struggling and bombing. Wilson is bombing. He’s still yet to put together a full game where he looks the part.

What's remarkable is - I get having faith. I get wanting to believe.  I get trying to hold onto the rookie year/need for patience thing - What I don't get is running head first into the exact same brick wall that you did with Darnold and Sanchez again.  When do we learn something?  Ever?

Save Pac, the same exact people are making the same exact arguments.  The only thing that's changed is the name on the jersey.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Can you name a time in the modern era of the NFL where the 2nd overall pick, did not play his rookie season?

9 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

What's remarkable is - I get having faith. I get wanting to believe.  I get trying to hold onto the rookie year/need for patience thing - What I don't get is running head first into the exact same brick wall that you did with Darnold and Sanchez again.  When do we learn something?  Ever?

Save Pac, the same exact people are making the same exact arguments.  The only thing that's changed is the name on the jersey.

What’s the alternative? Declaring him a bust now and getting a jump on whining and crying about it for the next couple seasons? Far and away, the best case scenario for the Jets is for Zach to start looking like a franchise QB. Totally weird for fans to actively root for that, right? 

What I see is the Jets actually trying to do something different in handing the reins to Joe Douglas and giving him a chance to put a team together in the way he learned on the Super Bowl Champions he previously worked for. Oh, that’s right, that takes time. We’ve got people here ready to wash, rinse, repeat by putting the team on the same GM/HC carousel that it’s been on for a long time. To me, that’s the craziness. 

No matter what anyone says or does, Zach Wilson is the QB for at least the next year or two. Time will tell if he’s another Sanchez or Darnold. Hopefully he’s like one of those QBs that gets drafted becomes good on other teams. If you can’t hope/root for that, why even bother?

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Is that really true though?  He bombed in 1 game.  Vs New England week 2.  You could argue that the following game against Denver was also in that territory.  

He’s played in 8 games this year.  1 very bad game against the Patriots followed by a pretty bad game vs the Broncos.  I’d say the Texans game was bordering between bad and meh.  He’s also had pretty respectable/good games vs Carolina, Tennessee and Philadelphia. Then has had pretty meh games vs Atlanta and the game he got hurt vs the Patriots.

The Patriots and Broncos game are over half his interceptions in about 25-30% of his attempts this year.

So yes, his overall stat line looks bad.  That’s largely influenced by a small sample.  The rest of his season hasn’t been great by any stretch, but it’s hardly been “bombing”.  If you prefer to look at the cumulative stats to tell the story, then I can’t argue with that.  That’s each person’s own prerogative, but I don’t think it tells the whole story of his season.  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

For whatever bizarre reason, fans like to attach themselves to individual players.  Some are also delusional, thinking their team is always good despite contrary evidence.

Our team has some nice, young characters on it.  That being said, I really don’t care about any of them.  The only thing I care about is the team’s success.  There are a lot of fans who would prefer individual player success over the team success, which is spiteful and idiotic no matter how inept the organization may be.  It was the same thing with Darnold: Darnold lovers cursing this team’s name for ruining their “hero” and “franchise quarterback” Sam Darnold.

I mean every expert knows Saleh is an idiot and has NO idea what he’s doing, but Wilson is rightfully on the path to his deserved stardom.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

What’s the alternative? Declaring him a bust now and getting a jump on whining and crying about it for the next couple seasons? Far and away, the best case scenario for the Jets is for Zach to start looking like a franchise QB. Totally weird for fans to actively root for that, right? 

What I see is the Jets actually trying to do something different in handing the reins to Joe Douglas and giving him a chance to put a team together in the way he learned on the Super Bowl Champions he previously worked for. Oh, that’s right, that takes time. We’ve got people here ready to wash, rinse, repeat by putting the team on the same GM/HC carousel that it’s been on for a long time. To me, that’s the craziness. 

No matter what anyone says or does, Zach Wilson is the QB for at least the next year or two. Time will tell if he’s another Sanchez or Darnold. Hopefully he’s like one of those QBs that gets drafted becomes good on other teams. If you can’t hope/root for that, why even bother?

Ouch.

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Fairly simple.  Acknowledging reality while saying that "I hope it improves."  He'll get next year.  He shouldn't get a 3rd unless this improve greatly.

17 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Can you name a time in the modern era of the NFL where the 2nd overall pick, did not play his rookie season?

Carson Palmer was the 1st overall pick and didn’t play a down as a rookie.  There are many examples of high pick QBs who had very to no playing time their rookie season.

And you look at most of them and they usually turn out pretty well.

Just now, ZachEY said:

Fairly simple.  Acknowledging reality while saying that "I hope it improves."  He'll get next year.  He shouldn't get a 3rd unless this improve greatly.

Well, I know you’re not talking to me here. I understand the reality well enough. Hopefully he looks the part well before the end of next season. 

• Upvote 1