Can Jets extend Quinnen Williams now?

17 hours ago, Hael said:

For context, PFF has given him a rank of 65.2 this year, which is 41 out of 125 qualifiying DTs.  Last year he was 81. 

Leonard Williams is like 75 this year, and had an 82 one year with us. 

I mean, its good, and trending upward for the season after a slow start, but is Williams worth it for the Giants at his price point?

We do need a few key foundational players (even if they're not A Donald level), so there is a definite argument that he would be, given the lack of homegrown talent and if he's a good locker room guy then sure.. 

He's more Fletcher Cox than Aaron Donald, and Quinnen has said so himself after the Eagles game. 

6 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Nooooooo!!!! No no no!!! You do not sign DT’s to a 2nd contract unless they are all world and greatly make an impact on a game. There’s one player in the league at DT that meets the criteria, Aaron Donald. Otherwise DT’s should be late round rotational picks and just keep churning them.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So theres Aaron Donald or late round rotational picks on good DLs?

So theres Aaron Donald or late round rotational picks on good DLs?

I’m not sure I follow? We’ve had great DL’s with the likes of countless no name/ late picks that played very well. If anything the ones that were supposed to be great all underperformed relative to their peers drafted much later and certainly relative to their draft position. You can replace Quinnen’s impact on a game with lunch pail guys and use that capital trying to find players at true impact positions like edge rusher.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 12/8/2021 at 1:58 PM, David Harris said:

Meh, I don't think so.

"The fifth-year option, meanwhile, will cost $10.29-$11.51 million for 2023, but would bump up to $16.62 million if Williams makes the Pro Bowl this year"

Firstly, let's NOT vote for QW to make the Pro Bowl, LOL.  

Secondly, the top IDL make somewhere around $15 - 20 million per year.  So the 5th year option at $10.2 - 11.5 million is saving five to ten million dollars in his 5th year alone.  Plus if you don't sign him long-term early you mitigate the risk of injury.  What if we extend him early and he tears something in his 5th year and now we're on the hook for a ton of guarantees?

He was the #3 overall pick and is already set for life with what he's been paid.  By extending early you are not getting any savings while taking on injury risk.  I understand you want to reward you're own players, and we should, just smartly and at the right time while mitigating risk. 

You're looking at this like an extension would mean you don't get the benefit of the cost-controlled 5th year option. That's not how these deals work. The player and the team factor in the current team control in reaching a contract; that "we control you for the next two years at 16M in pay total" would be factored in to the total contract. That's why you see extensions discussed as "new money" (XYZ Million per year over the 4 added years!) instead of total money (only 70% of that per year over the entire length of the deal)

On 12/8/2021 at 5:01 PM, Embrace the Suck said:

You're assuming that he won't hold out during the less expensive years later on. As we all know players never hold out despite knowing the language they signed when it isn't to their advantage or their ego takes over.  

Exactly how many players have held out while under contract since the last CBA was signed, Suck? The game has changed

5 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Exactly how many players have held out while under contract since the last CBA was signed, Suck? The game has changed

The last CBA was 2020 (so not much of a sample size but).... Just a quick search. Seems like every year there are holdouts of varying lengths. Wait till later this month, and you'll start seeing holdout projection articles.

2021 https://thesportsrush.com/nfl-news-nfl-minicamp-holdouts-2021-list-of-players-skipping-mandatory-minicamp-including-aaron-rodgers-and-jamal-adams/

2020 Covid - people who would have held out just opted out.

2019 https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/7/2/18684296/nfl-holdouts-training-camp-2019-jadeveon-clowney-julio-jones

2018 https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/15/17464154/nfl-holdout-otas-camp-2018-aaron-donald-julio-jones-khalil-mack

2017 https://www.nfl.com/news/ezekiel-elliott-trent-williams-among-holdouts-with-most-leverag-0ap3000001038409

<=2016 https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/five-of-the-most-memorable-and-distracting-nfl-holdouts-of-the-last-decade/