Jets a Lock to Draft Linderbaum if he’s There? Not so fast, Jets fans

JetNation

The oline is not complete, and the Jets must continue to invest in it with high picks. Drafting an elite lock at C gets rid of McG's salary and sets you up for a decade at the position. The line is ok, but nothing special currently. You build a castle on a strong and solid foundation. The money you save on getting old high priced vets on the oline allows you to invest in LBs, DBs, TEs, ect. Draft him with the second first round pick if he's that good. If he any thing like Mangold you draft him. The offense turned to sh*t when Mangold went down on that rare occasion. Average isn't good enough for the oline.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

these early projections are pretty meaningless.  teams are going to be looking for real impact in the first round and that means qb or edge or corner or wr.  the beef is going to be picked up later.  this isn't to say he won't go in the first round just after other skill type positions are exhausted.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I dont think anyone of those guys are good enough to deter you from taking a top end talent at edge, besides, you can never have enough.  Just look at the only successful 49'ers defense that Saleh has ever run, they had all sorts of pass rushers.  That said, I dont think the top 2 are there when the Jets pick so, I like Stingley at this point.  He's a freak top, 5 corner in the league type talent, IMO.

Stingley had one good year and two years with injuries and lesser play.  I d be concerned about taking a boom or bust player that high especially when this defense is predicated on pash rush, more than elite cornerback play.  id take Hutchinson and the lineman from Alabama who is a monster and can play anywhere on the line.   In the NFL, the game is won in the trenches and at QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

TL.jpg

With two first round picks that could land in the top 10, plenty of Jets fans have been calling for the team to draft Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum.  The pick would make sense for plenty of reasons, but JetNation RadioAM takes a look at why it’s less likely than you may think.

We also talk about Zach Wilson’s progress, the team’s depth at wide receiver heading in to next season and the updated kicking situation.

The post Jets a Lock to Draft Linderbaum if he’s There? Not so fast, Jets fans appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

im thinkin that  RT T RG LG LB CB S S

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

After Schmitt, Fields Sweeney, Mawae, Mangold... You need another elite center to continue the line.  Grab him. 

I want to add here.  He is a super solid character guy, is a leader and the brains of the operation.  He'll certainly be calling the signals for the line wherever he winds up going.  That quality of player at that position is invaluable.  Worth all 391 lbs in gold.  This would be a Mangini pick.  I hope it is a JD pick too.

Don't mess this one up, Joe.

If you get the chance, make the pick even if it has to be in the top five. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

TL.jpg

With two first round picks that could land in the top 10, plenty of Jets fans have been calling for the team to draft Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum.  The pick would make sense for plenty of reasons, but JetNation RadioAM takes a look at why it’s less likely than you may think.

We also talk about Zach Wilson’s progress, the team’s depth at wide receiver heading in to next season and the updated kicking situation.

The post Jets a Lock to Draft Linderbaum if he’s There? Not so fast, Jets fans appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

I like this guy, thank you!

30 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Stingley had one good year and two years with injuries and lesser play.  I d be concerned about taking a boom or bust player that high especially when this defense is predicated on pash rush, more than elite cornerback play.  id take Hutchinson and the lineman from Alabama who is a monster and can play anywhere on the line.   In the NFL, the game is won in the trenches and at QB.

Cool.  Not passionate enough to argue either way, it's Dec. but if you read my post, I was working off the idea Hutch wont be there but my preference would be a passer rusher as well.  Have no clue where Neal goes, he might go #1 overall, honestly.  As of today, I think it will be some combo of Neal, Hutch, Kayvon but like I said in my original post, it's way too early to know anything right now.

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Jet fans are funny. When the year started it was all about building the line to protect zach and respect the notion that an elite O line is the key to a dominating offense.

jet O line juuuussssst starts to play well? We dont need any more O line guys. Weve got George Fant and Fatty McCrushedknees

Word. Jets Oline overall is average right now. We just played a couple of cream puff teams and the Oline did pretty good so now people think its solid for next year. 

That being said, taking a center in the top 10 is crazy. 

Just now, genot said:

We need a WR more than an edge rusher. To me. It s corner first, WR second.After that it's linebacker, linebacker, TE.

Which is sad since at the start of the season WR was supposed to be our strong position

28 minutes ago, Barton said:

Word. Jets Oline overall is average right now. We just played a couple of cream puff teams and the Oline did pretty good so now people think its solid for next year. 

That being said, taking a center in the top 10 is crazy. 

I don’t think you can take a tackle like Neal unless you’re prepared to admit Becton is a bust and/or exiled. 

• Upvote 3

holy sh*t. does anybody watch the games on Sunday. ANOTHER 1st rd pick on the OL when people run thru our defense like there not there? 

only loser org, draft 3 OL in the 1st rd. Atlanta . Detroit....  the best teams do not. the teams developing QBs do not. but the NY Jets, we have to? in 3 STRAIGHT YEARS!!!

just think of this 5 first rd picks in 3 straight years and 3 of them will be in on the OL. only using 2 on the rest of a team that roster needs so much help. no wonder people have no respect for us. thats a Joke. 

and trading back doesnt matter. im sure GMs dream of having 5 top 15 picks in 3 years. you dont waste them like this.

every other team gets by with zero or 1 pick on the OL. about 6 or 7 avg teams have 2. but us, the NY Jets will be the 1st team to figure out how to win with 3. smh.

and im talking about drafting 1st rd OL not signing them as free agents which btw should tell you something that so many are not with the team that drafted them. 

this idea is worst than drafting the Saftey. whats next forgetting defense all together and drafting a RB with the other pick. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Jet fans are funny. When the year started it was all about building the line to protect zach and respect the notion that an elite O line is the key to a dominating offense.

jet O line juuuussssst starts to play well? We dont need any more O line guys. Weve got George Fant and Fatty McCrushedknees

Totally agree. Crazy how people tend to over value veterans on a 3 win team. Wake up people, with few exceptions, our veterans stink and would never crack the starting lineup on a contending team.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

As of now, the Jets appear to be in draft never never land again, although I heard Walter Football say that 1-2 QBs will find their way into the top 3.  Yes, we don’t believe it now, but it always happens. 

For these top picks, EDGE, OL and WR seem the way to go.  If the Jets like Linderbaum and/or Kyle Hamilton, they should trade down. 

will never take Hamilton or any safety with a first round pick. In fact, I wouldn't go safety until 3rd or later. You just cannot used the Jamal pick on another safety so you can't pay him in a few years because its not a premium position.

9 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

will never take Hamilton or any safety with a first round pick. In fact, I wouldn't go safety until 3rd or later. You just cannot used the Jamal pick on another safety so you can't pay him in a few years because its not a premium position.

Thing is though Hamilton is a top 3 talent overall in this class. I get the positional value argument about not drafting a safety that high, but if you get a top 3 guy at say pick ten overall you really should consider it. Safety is a big hole on this roster and Hamilton would immediately make that an area of strength on this team. He is an unreal talent. 

Also, while this class is deep in the middle rounds, there are a lot of players who will be drafted outside the top 10 who would be second rounders in other years. I get the trading down argument, but lets say you trade down to pick 20 or so, you're basically picking a 2nd round talent with that pick in this draft. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think you can take a tackle like Neal unless you’re prepared to admit Becton is a bust and/or exiled. 

Not necessarily... Becton can be moved to RT to avoid paying either Moses or Fant if that were the case.

3 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The oline is not complete, and the Jets must continue to invest in it with high picks. Drafting an elite lock at C gets rid of McG's salary and sets you up for a decade at the position. The line is ok, but nothing special currently. You build a castle on a strong and solid foundation. The money you save on getting old high priced vets on the oline allows you to invest in LBs, DBs, TEs, ect. Draft him with the second first round pick if he's that good. If he any thing like Mangold you draft him. The offense turned to sh*t when Mangold went down on that rare occasion. Average isn't good enough for the oline.  

Mangold was drafted at the very bottom of round 1 - pick #29, a whopping four picks away from being in round 2 - not inside the top 10. The HOF center we had before him was originally drafted in that range (#36 overall). The best young center in the game from last year's draft went way down at #63 to KC while people were convinced he represented value in the mid-20s. And it's harder to replace a young receiver like Moore than a young iOLman like Humphrey. Meanwhile Humphrey is a 320-pound tank.

With his team fielding the #32 defense, if this melonhead drafts a 280-290 pound center in (or even near) the top 10 overall picks in the draft, when he's got a competent 28 year-old veteran center already under contract, returning in the same blocking system, it's a fireable offense. 

This team is far, far more in need of a game-changer (or 5) on defense than wasting a top 10 pick to upgrade from an average center to a prospect you hope will be an above average center. That magnitude of upgrade isn't worth anywhere near a top 10 overall pick, and it's questionable whether that level upgrade is even worth a top 10 pick in round 2. 

I will never understand where people get the idea that it's even loosely bordering on wisdom for a team to invest 3 top 15 overall picks on the OL in 3 consecutive drafts: a draft strategy employed by zero SB winners, SB losers, or even WC teams in NFL history. 

You take a player in the top 10 who keeps you from spending $20-25MM/year (even more if you're talking QB) on a veteran, at the type of position you typically need to find in the top 10 picks or trade multiple 1sts to grab one; not a $10-12MM/year veteran at a position where most probowlers come from rounds 2 or later (and a handful of the top 10-15 were from round 6 outright or undrafted).

• Humphrey #63
  • Linsley #161
  • Kelce #191
  • Ragnow #18
    • Evan Brown undrafted (the guy filling in for Ragnow this year, and apparently isn't half bad)
  • Allen #111
  • Roullier #199
  • Tretter #122
  • Jensen #203
  • McGovern #144
  • B.Jones #99
  • Andrews undrafted
  • Bozeman #215
  • Paradis #207 (was great in Den, but blows since getting paid)
  • Biadasz #146 (terrible start this year, but hasn't allowed one pressure or hurry in over a month, nor a sack all season)

The track record for drafting a center in round 1 has been pretty bad over the last 4-5 years. Ragnow is the only one who's lived up to expectations.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Mangold was drafted at the very bottom of round 1 - pick #29, a whopping four picks away from being in round 2 - not inside the top 10. The HOF center we had before him was originally drafted in that range (#36 overall). The best young center in the game from last year's draft went way down at #63 to KC while people were convinced he represented value in the mid-20s. And it's harder to replace a young receiver like Moore than a young iOLman like Humphrey. Meanwhile Humphrey is a 320-pound tank.

With his team fielding the #32 defense, if this melonhead drafts a 280-290 pound center in (or even near) the top 10 overall picks in the draft, when he's got a competent 28 year-old veteran center already under contract, returning in the same blocking system, it's a fireable offense. 

This team is far, far more in need of a game-changer (or 5) on defense than wasting a top 10 pick to upgrade from an average center to a prospect you hope will be an above average center. That magnitude of upgrade isn't worth anywhere near a top 10 overall pick, and it's questionable whether that level upgrade is even worth a top 10 pick in round 2. 

I will never understand where people get the idea that it's even loosely bordering on wisdom for a team to invest 3 top 15 overall picks on the OL in 3 consecutive drafts: a draft strategy employed by zero SB winners, SB losers, or even WC teams in NFL history. 

You take a player in the top 10 who keeps you from spending $20-25MM/year (even more if you're talking QB) on a veteran, at the type of position you typically need to find in the top 10 picks or trade multiple 1sts to grab one; not a $10-12MM/year veteran at a position where most probowlers come from rounds 2 or later (and a handful of the top 10-15 were from round 6 outright or undrafted).

• Humphrey #63
  • Linsley #161
  • Kelce #191
  • Ragnow #18
    • Evan Brown undrafted (the guy filling in for Ragnow this year, and apparently isn't half bad)
  • Allen #111
  • Roullier #199
  • Tretter #122
  • Jensen #203
  • McGovern #144
  • B.Jones #99
  • Andrews undrafted
  • Bozeman #215
  • Paradis #207 (was great in Den, but blows since getting paid)
  • Biadasz #146 (terrible start this year, but hasn't allowed one pressure or hurry in over a month, nor a sack all season)

The track record for drafting a center in round 1 has been pretty bad over the last 4-5 years. Ragnow is the only one who's lived up to expectations.

hard to argue against this. well said.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Our HC says hold my craft beer and watch this.  1/2 pick is very much in site with this dumpster fire

That's fair but my only dissagrement is that Saleh strikes me as a guy that drinks Mango Bud Light Seltzer.

• Haha 2