Jets a Lock to Draft Linderbaum if he’s There? Not so fast, Jets fans

JetNation

TL.jpg

With two first round picks that could land in the top 10, plenty of Jets fans have been calling for the team to draft Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum.  The pick would make sense for plenty of reasons, but JetNation RadioAM takes a look at why it’s less likely than you may think.

We also talk about Zach Wilson’s progress, the team’s depth at wide receiver heading in to next season and the updated kicking situation.

The post Jets a Lock to Draft Linderbaum if he’s There? Not so fast, Jets fans appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

I think he is more in play if the Seahawks continue winning. 

Jameson Williams officially caught my eye last week and I think he's a sleeper pick for the Jets with their second 1. Presumably we'll be losing either Cole or Crowder (or both), and adding a young potential stud to pair with Moore / Davis could be the move

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The other issue is that McGovern is playing much better than he was earlier in the year. 

If you are telling me that you are moving McGovern to guard, I could live with it, but it seems unwise to use a top 10 pick on a center (which is unusual to begin with) when we already have an above average center on the roster. 

Yet another issue is that there are other good centers in this draft that could be had in rounds 2-4. 

Agreed.  OL is probably the strongest unit on the team.  I think they do need an additional IOL but I dont know that they need to use a top 10 pick on it when the OL is very good as it is.  That seems like a luxury pick for a team who is loaded and looking to make minor upgrades and tweaks.  I feel like if you're a building team and you dont need to address a position, take advantage of that and build other premium positions.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I think he is more in play if the Seahawks continue winning. 

Jameson Williams officially caught my eye last week and I think he's a sleeper pick for the Jets with their second 1. Presumably we'll be losing either Cole or Crowder (or both), and adding a young potential stud to pair with Moore / Davis could be the move

Agreed, I think the Jets probably beat the Jags and pick 3 or 4.  As it looks now, I'd probably go best edge/or Stingley and I'd love Williams as the 2nd pick, that kid is special. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

aiden hutchins, then linderbaum. its so easy stop overthinking

and if there was a killer wr in this draft id consider it, but there isnt

At this point, I want Hutchinson, Linderbaum, Wydermyer and McDuffie with the top 4 picks, possibly all in the top 40.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This.

Its Aidan Hutchinson. 

And hes a virtual lock to go 1/2. So unless we get a top 2 pick, just let that idea go. 

• Upvote 2

Whatever his name is. Who cares. Are you his mom?

Actually he is not a "lock" to go 1/2. The only "lock" is that other edge guy that I wont even try to spell. Wait until the overrated qbs start shooting up. Happens every year. I can see Hutchinson going in top 6. Its NOT a pipe dream

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

and if there was a killer wr in this draft id consider it, but there isnt

While still very early, this seems like a very uniformed post.  Aidan Hutchinson will either go 1 or 2 and the Jets are probably pick 4 or 5.    Also, there are many killer WR's in this draft.  2 of which or both of Jameson Williams and Drake London, I could see going somewhere between 6-12.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

While still very early, this seems like a very uniformed post.  Aidan Hutchinson will either go 1 or 2 and the Jets are probably pick 4 or 5.    Also, there are many killer WR's in this draft.  2 of which or both of Jameson Williams and Drake London, I could see going somewhere between 6-12.

As usual, you are wrong, but gleefully go through life as a smart person. Good luck son

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Agreed, I think the Jets probably beat the Jags and pick 3 or 4.  As it looks now, I'd probably go best edge/or Stingley and I'd love Williams as the 2nd pick, that kid is special. 

With Carl Lawson, JFM, Huff I just do not see Edge being a 1st round need unless one of the Top 2 fall to us, and I would never draft a first round QB this year.

19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The other issue is that McGovern is playing much better than he was earlier in the year. 

If you are telling me that you are moving McGovern to guard, I could live with it, but it seems unwise to use a top 10 pick on a center (which is unusual to begin with) when we already have an above average center on the roster. 

Yet another issue is that there are other good centers in this draft that could be had in rounds 2-4. 

OK but in what world does McGovern playing at an acceptable level preclude us from trying to build a long term dominant offensive line? There are players at every position in rounds 2-4. If you think the guy is going to be a dominant center and you're drafting in a reasonable position you take him and don't look back IMO. McGovern shouldn't even be part of the equation.

That said - given the current draft position I think you'd have to trade down to make it a reasonable pick. Not taking a center in the top 10.

• Upvote 1

As of now, the Jets appear to be in draft never never land again, although I heard Walter Football say that 1-2 QBs will find their way into the top 3.  Yes, we don’t believe it now, but it always happens. 

For these top picks, EDGE, OL and WR seem the way to go.  If the Jets like Linderbaum and/or Kyle Hamilton, they should trade down. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

As usual, you are wrong, but gleefully go through life as a smart person. Good luck son

What specifically am I wrong about?  That it is still very early?  The spelling of a Heisman trophy finalist?  That he will go 1 or 2?  Or that Drake London and Jameson Williams are killer WR's that could potentially both go 6-12? 

Just want to clarify to make sure I continue my gleeful ways, Daddy.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

With Carl Lawson, JFM, Huff I just do not see Edge being a 1st round need unless one of the Top 2 fall to us, and I would never draft a first round QB this year.

I dont think anyone of those guys are good enough to deter you from taking a top end talent at edge, besides, you can never have enough.  Just look at the only successful 49'ers defense that Saleh has ever run, they had all sorts of pass rushers.  That said, I dont think the top 2 are there when the Jets pick so, I like Stingley at this point.  He's a freak top, 5 corner in the league type talent, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

OK but in what world does McGovern playing at an acceptable level preclude us from trying to build a long term dominant offensive line? There are players at every position in rounds 2-4. If you think the guy is going to be a dominant center and you're drafting in a reasonable position you take him and don't look back IMO. McGovern shouldn't even be part of the equation.

That said - given the current draft position I think you'd have to trade down to make it a reasonable pick. Not taking a center in the top 10.

Fair. 

I'm never going to be mad about adding elite offensive line talent to this roster. I'm just not sure using a top 10 pick on a center makes the most sense for this roster right now. If we have two top 10 picks, I want two premier players on defense. If I did use one of the picks on offense, I'd be most interested in a tight end (but I don't know of a top 10 pick-worthy TE in this draft)

If we trade down as you suggest, I'm cool with it. 

• Upvote 2

So much depends on where the Jets' two picks end up.  I'd definitely grab Hutchinson if he's there. 

I'd rate Linderbaum higher than most b/c he's the best C prospect in many years, there's a huge dropoff after him at that position in the draft, and McGovern (who's okay, but overrated by some here) could easily slide to RG, thus improving two spots on the OL with one pick.  Suddenly, the IOL could be top 5 quaility.

The Jets also need an OT badly, at least for depth and development, but the draft seems to be very deep with them, so a nice one could be grabbed with one of the two second rounders.  I'd love to see the Jets top four picks as edge, Linderbaum, OT, and best defender on the board.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

We have Fant who has allowed 1 sack all season and Becton who was drafted 11 overall last year. We aren't drafting a LT. Stop.

5 good games doesn't have me convinced Fant isn't the long term answer.  Neither is Becton.

I'm not saying to take a LT, but they need that more than a C.  

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We have Fant who has allowed 1 sack all season and Becton who was drafted 11 overall last year. We aren't drafting a LT. Stop.

Fant's not a great run blocker and will be a FA after next year.  Becton can't be counted on for anything.  The Jets do need to draft an OT. But, I would agree not to take one in the first round.  There'll be lots of good ones well into the 2nd round.

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Fair. 

I'm never going to be mad about adding elite offensive line talent to this roster. I'm just not sure using a top 10 pick on a center makes the most sense for this roster right now. If we have two top 10 picks, I want two premier players on defense. If I did use one of the picks on offense, I'd be most interested in a tight end (but I don't know of a top 10 pick-worthy TE in this draft)

If we trade down as you suggest, I'm cool with it. 

There's an outside shot Linderbaum could be there for our first second round pick. I'm hoping we can get one of the top edge rushers and a CB or LB with the top two picks if we can't trade out.

• Upvote 1