One day the Braxton Berrios type of player will not be on this team

On 12/23/2021 at 3:09 PM, #27TheDominator said:

My God I hear this bullsh*t over and over.  Woodhead got cut because he blew chunks on special cover teams.  A team with Shonn Greene and Tomlinson did not need another RB.  They were short on WR and kept Clowney, not because he was faster, but because he was a much better special teamer and played WR where they were light at the time.  They had Brad Smith and McKnight who is top 4 all time in kick return average.  Watch Woodhead in kick off contain against the Dolphins and Ted Ginn Jr in 2009. Pretty sure that Westhoff would have strangled him if he got the chance.

yep.  woodhead was just the odd man out.  sure the jets liked him but not when his position was already covered and he didn't do other things.

as for berrios, he's kind of in the welker/chrebet mold.  maybe more chrebet.  in chrebet's best season he caught 86 but that was on the 96 team.  right now berrios is at 38 but he's also playing behind crowder who has 50. all of these guys showed up every game and did more than just pass receive.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Berrios deserves a spot on this team. He's a legit special team weapon, a reliable slot, and a good gadget player. I'm not saying he deserves a big contract but WR 4 or WR 5 money is 100% justified.

I hope the Jets re-sign Berrios, but I've no idea what a fair contract would be. He's primarily a kick and punt returner (and a damn good one) who can also play from the slot.  He doesn't catch a load of balls but, when you do throw it to him, he catches it.

If he makes it to FA, someone may pay him more than we want to. Hopefully, it doesn't get to that point and a deal is reached that works for both sides.

• Upvote 2

Egg on face. 

The career arc of Braxton Berrios is Cole Beasley. He's a reliable receiver who does best in the slot, but can be used in a variety of different ways and excels as a PR/KR. Ideally he's your 4th receiver, but you can do much worse than him operating as the #2/#3 option in spot work. 

I fully expect Braxton to re-sign with the Jets, likely a 4-year, $21 million range. 

EDIT: 4-year*

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

Doesn't get a good kick return - sucks. Does get a good kick return - sucks, it was all because of the other 10 guys. ?

Not sure what you mean about "not having games like this every week" ... there isn't one kick returner in the league that does. Do you know how many kick returns for TDs there have been this year? Eight. BB has 1 of those. Do you know how many players have had 3 returns 40+ yards this year? Three. BB is one of those. Do you know how many players have had 20 returns of 20+ yards this year? Four. BB is one of those. Do you know how many players have a kick return average of 30+ yards? Six. BB is one of those. (And three of those 6 only have one return all year).

Just keep digging just keep digging - Doryyy | Meme Generator

You missed the point completely.

Like I said I am now changing my position and admitting he has been playing better. The numbers don't lie, he has done well as a returner. I def didn't give him the credit he deserves. He has done well. But him getting that TD was not because he made some great move it was just scheme. The jets special teams deserves the accolades and berries himself agrees According to himself.

He still is not a great WR as discussed at length. It's not digging a whole being right and just not accepting the mobs ranting about him being such a good player.

We have seen this through out recent memory. In years past a sub par player will play good relative to the rest of our crap roster and get paid as a top performer at his position and role. The he under performs and most just say he didn't live up to the contract.

The story is as old as time. Most recent I think of crowder. Thankfully the GM righted the ship and gave him the contract he deserves relative to the league. And the mob hated it how could we not give the great crowder the money he deserves? Well guess what he did get what he deserves. A sub par contract for sub par WR. Not that crowder in certain positions can succeed. He can but he is not a number 1 or 2 Wr. This not paid like one.

Berrios is the same the jer nation mob on my post ridiculous position that he is a good or even above ave player is naive, and more importantly stupid. Even now posters are getting angry cause they want to waste money on him. Guess what he ain't going anywhere and even if he did no big deal.

Thankfully we have a gm that will not over pay this guy. He has done well. I stand corrected. Just because he did his job doesn't make him good or great. He simply had been a special teams guy. That itself tells you his talent. Idk why it is so hard for so many to accept.

Dude is a scrub a dub dub on a crap roster. He will be replaced by someone better. 

Joe Douglas will not make him high paid wr. As I rightly said he has earned his spot on the currently undertalented roster. And no matter how much @Sperm Edwards pretends he doesn't know what is going on. It will be good when his services are no longer needed

13 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He still is not a great WR as discussed at length. It's not digging a whole being right and just not accepting the mobs ranting about him being such a good player.

Nobody said that he was a great wide receiver. 

You've dug yourself a hole so big that you are approaching magma. 

Berrios is the same the jer nation mob on my post ridiculous position that he is a good or even above ave player is naive, and more importantly stupid.

Berrios is objectively a good overall player. He has cemented himself as one of the top returners in the league which already makes him a good player. He is by no means a great WR, but he doesn't have to be. He has a role as a backup, and a situational slot receiver. The team knows his place, and Berrios knows his place. You have to be stupid or naive to call other people stupid and naive in a thread where everyone has proven you wrong time and time again.

Even now posters are getting angry cause they want to waste money on him.

Who, besides you? 

Dude is a scrub a dub dub on a crap roster. He will be replaced by someone better. 

One of the top punt/kick returners in the league is a scrub? Only a moron would want Berrios off the team. Oh, never mind. 

This is fun. Please continue to defend your position. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Egg on face. 

The career arc of Braxton Berrios is Cole Beasley. He's a reliable receiver who does best in the slot, but can be used in a variety of different ways and excels as a PR/KR. Ideally he's your 4th receiver, but you can do much worse than him operating as the #2/#3 option in spot work. 

I fully expect Braxton to re-sign with the Jets, likely a 3-year, $21 million range. 

I love Berrios but 7 mill a year????????????????/  No way.  3 year deal for 12 million.  That is what hes worth.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Holy sh*t.  

If only we didn't have Braxton Berrios on this team we would not have won this meaningless December game and would have better draft position.  Can't you guys see how that makes the team better? 

Ehhh, learn how to draft, two best pass rushers in the league were not top 2 picks… 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I love Berrios but 7 mill a year????????????????/  No way.  3 year deal for 12 million.  That is what hes worth.

I meant 4-year, $21 million - putting him at roughly $5.25 million per year. 

With the salary cap continuously increasing, going to have to go above $5m per year IMO

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Like I said I am now changing my position and admitting he has been playing better. The numbers don't lie, he has done well as a returner. I def didn't give him the credit he deserves. He has done well. But him getting that TD was not because he made some great move it was just scheme. The jets special teams deserves the accolades and berries himself agrees According to himself.

We have seen this through out recent memory. In years past a sub par player will play good relative to the rest of our crap roster and get paid as a top performer at his position and role. The he under performs and most just say he didn't live up to the contract.

The story is as old as time. Most recent I think of crowder. Thankfully the GM righted the ship and gave him the contract he deserves relative to the league. And the mob hated it how could we not give the great crowder the money he deserves? Well guess what he did get what he deserves. A sub par contract for sub par WR. Not that crowder in certain positions can succeed. He can but he is not a number 1 or 2 Wr. This not paid like one.

Berrios is the same the jer nation mob on my post ridiculous position that he is a good or even above ave player is naive, and more importantly stupid. Even now posters are getting angry cause they want to waste money on him. Guess what he ain't going anywhere and even if he did no big deal.

Thankfully we have a gm that will not over pay this guy. He has done well. I stand corrected. Just because he did his job doesn't make him good or great. He simply had been a special teams guy. That itself tells you his talent. Idk why it is so hard for so many to accept.

Joe Douglas will not make him high paid wr. As I rightly said he has earned his spot on the currently undertalented roster. And no matter how much @Sperm Edwards pretends he doesn't know what is going on. It will be good when his services are no longer needed

Lol

You can say otherwise over and over, but I still don't know what you're talking about. He's been a better player than many higher draft picks that teams have retained, and would have a place on every/any roster this season. I'm totally confused how you think that's an indictment on Berrios.

Anytime you feel like it you can furnish the names of teams with 5 superior rostered WRs. Not 2 or even 4 -- fully 5 deep all of them demonstrably better, since that's at least how many they carry and you think he doesn't belong on the roster.

• Upvote 3

On 12/27/2021 at 1:32 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

flu dying GIF