One day the Braxton Berrios type of player will not be on this team

On 1/5/2022 at 10:25 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

So even after all these years you can't admit that Sam Darnold was simply bad?  3 different regimes and coaching staffs have worked with him and none have gotten anything but lousy QB play out of him, but its ALL the Jets' fault?

The simple truth is he's a mush who wasn't good in the first place.  We were all so enamored with his Rose Bowl performance that we overlooked his many flaws and red flags.  Like when he led all of FBS in turnovers his final year at USC, and one scout called his footwork so bad that he looked like a "cow on skates".  4 years later and his footwork still looks terrible and he can't stop turning the ball over.  Did Adam Gase cause all that?

You have a complete inability to just admit when your bad takes are bad.

darnold had all the promise in the world and gase trashed him. Darnold had a good rookie season, just cause you say its not so, doesnt make that the truth any more than Berrios is some all star player. Not factually correct. im not sure what to tell you.

lol i have bad takes all the time just like everyone else but Darbold is classic story of a team ruining a prospect and Berrios has played some good special teams, that doesnt make him a good WR/Player we need to pay. It just doesnt.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:47 AM, Jetfuel66 said:

Couldn't disagree with you more bro. Berrios is 10x the Receiver Roberts was. Not only that, he is a threat on Jet sweeps and is also tough as nails. He is rapidly becoming an emotional leader on this team and you can tell that his tough catches over the middle inspire his teammates.

I'm not sure what your agenda is with this player but I feel your criticism is unwarranted and I for one am thrilled that he is on this team.

I am also thrilled that JD signed him after NE cut him and I will be more excited when he signs his extension.

The Jets need more players with the heart that Berrios plays with. Maybe Mims should watch him and learn. 

fair enough.

RObert did the same as him on Special teams, so arguing about who is a better WR, well I would say both a not exactly good. Thye are WR 4's or worse. I think we could agree on that. 

I dont knwo what an emotional leader is but lets just say I agree with you on that. No agenda other than wanting a better team. 

I want to see what JD does with him. Unlike someone like Adams, Berrios wont have that much value for trade but I think maybe we can get a late rounder for him. But who knows maybe he is signed here and extended. I wouldn't mind that as long as its not too much. Not Top money.

I could see him getting the crowder type of deal.

On 1/6/2022 at 6:35 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

@BornJetsFan1983 dreams of the day when a Touchdown machine like Braxton Berrios is off the roster.

man I thought you guys were serious this whole time, now I see you are just trolling me. lol good one. You guys got me. I really thought i had to explain over and over how he is nto that great of a WR and having someone better would be good for the team...BUT.....

Yes Yes of course Berrios is the basically Davante Adams what was I thinking??? Pay him all the money right?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

fair enough.

RObert did the same as him on Special teams, so arguing about who is a better WR, well I would say both a not exactly good. Thye are WR 4's or worse. I think we could agree on that. 

I dont knwo what an emotional leader is but lets just say I agree with you on that. No agenda other than wanting a better team. 

I want to see what JD does with him. Unlike someone like Adams, Berrios wont have that much value for trade but I think maybe we can get a late rounder for him. But who knows maybe he is signed here and extended. I wouldn't mind that as long as its not too much. Not Top money.

Douglas is not trading Berrios for a late round pick and if he did - he would get roasted and deservedly so. I would agree you have to be careful in how much you resign him for but he is not going to be on the cheap. Jets are going to be close to top dollar for Berrios because other teams will scoop him up in a heartbeat. 

Significantly overpay - no, but he has earned a fair to slightly overpay contract.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

fair enough.

Braxton Berrios will be a free agent when the new league year starts.  Why would anybody trade anything for him?  I think your entire premise is comical, but the one thing we agree on is that Berrios is not worth the franchise tag.  Therefore, there is no way to get anything for him in trade without signing him to a contract.  I don't see how that helps anybody. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

People that let Sam Darnold down: Todd Bowles, Adam Gase, Matt Rhule, Jeremy Bates, Dowell Loggains, and Joe Brady.

People that didn't:  Sam Darnold

Is that how this works? 

I think you missed the commentary. Sam just had his potential crushed by Gase. FULL STOP. Not the same player since. He is crap, never developed and now just um...crap.

See CAR. 

No doubt Sam is responsible but he had a whole lotta help to his current situation. He was always a good guy and many of us just hoped he could turn it around once he got away from Gase. Sadly no.

1 minute ago, Trotter said:

Douglas is not trading Berrios for a late round pick and if he did - he would get roasted and deservedly so. I would agree you have to be careful in how much you resign him for but he is not going to be on the cheap. Jets are going to be close to top dollar for Berrios because other teams will scoop him up in a heartbeat. 

Significantly overpay - no, but he has earned a fair to slightly overpay contract.  

Im very interested in seeing what JD does because that kind of thought was the same thing they said about crowder. Crowder was going to be needed, he played well for us, someone else would take him in a heart beat. BUT in reality he signed here for much less than what fans here wanted to pay him.

I expect similar for Mr. Berrios. I think he will get offered a team friendly average type of contract. not over paying at all.

A contract extension that he will sign. I don't think he will even try to get more. It will be interesting cause if you are right. then His special teams value will be that difference. But I think Joe see's it like i do. you pay guys that make a difference that you cant get similar play from a up and coming rookie or FA. And I think that there is always some rook or cheap FA that can fill that role pretty well.  

THe money should be for good WR's//etc/

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Braxton Berrios will be a free agent when the new league year starts.  Why would anybody trade anything for him?  I think your entire premise is comical, but the one thing we agree on is that Berrios is not worth the franchise tag.  Therefore, there is no way to get anything for him in trade without signing him to a contract.  I don't see how that helps anybody. 

If you can convince some other team that he is so good maybe they can get a late rounder for him, stranger things have happened.  I think he might just extend for minimum money, he has to like his role here and if Joe is willing to have him, he would jump all over that, JD wont give him the money the Berrios fan club thinks he is worth but could extend him.

But yes I agree - no one with any sense would pay him or trade for him. He is a scrub player.

The whole premise is comical to you? That when we have good drafts our WR 4/5 type of guys will be players with more upside? Im not sure how that is comical but ok.

Let me ask you @#27TheDominator you think Berrios is a TD machine like Davante Adams - as suggested earlier in this thread? That he should be extended by over paying him? Your comments make you seem a little more rational than some of the crazy comments I have been reading.

• WTF? 1

41 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

darnold had all the promise in the world and gase trashed him. Darnold had a good rookie season, just cause you say its not so, doesnt make that the truth any more than Berrios is some all star player. Not factually correct. im not sure what to tell you.

lol i have bad takes all the time just like everyone else but Darbold is classic story of a team ruining a prospect and Berrios has played some good special teams, that doesnt make him a good WR/Player we need to pay. It just doesnt.

So did Matt Rhule continue that ruining process or.....

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think you missed the commentary. Sam just had his potential crushed by Gase. FULL STOP. Not the same player since. He is crap, never developed and now just um...crap.

See CAR. 

No doubt Sam is responsible but he had a whole lotta help to his current situation. He was always a good guy and many of us just hoped he could turn it around once he got away from Gase. Sadly no.

His play in Carolina is proof that he sucks.  He had every opportunity to succeed there in a fresh start, when he didn't deserve to be the unquestioned QB1 from the jump or be handed a 5th year option.  Good coaches, good supporting personnel on offense, and a very good defense.  He failed.  Rhule handed him a lifeline, and he failed.  There is no one to blame for that but Sam Darnold. 

If he was so mentally fractured by mean old Adam Gase that it impacted his play in Carolina, then that means Darnold is also even more weak-minded than we thought.  It does not help your case.

Darnold sucks.  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He accelerated it. 

There is a vast conspiracy among NFL coaches to make sure Sam Darnold never develops. 

Poor Sam had Adam Gase PTSD and it impacted his ability to play in a completely different city with significantly better circumstances.  So crazy how Adam Gase hasn't been sent to prison yet for an 8th Amendment violation.  

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Think we’ve seen the last of Berrios. Unless he doesn’t get any other suitors which I doubt he’s gonna want more then the Jets are willing to pay. 

I'd personally be willing to "overpay" Berrios a bit to keep him. He seems to stay healthy, Wilson seems to like throwing to him, and he's a really good return guy. 

• Upvote 3

Why the heck is this thread still being brought up? It's clear that Berrios, even though he may not be a #1 WR, is a much needed player on any team.

End of story. There's nothing that you can argue that can counter the fact that a cheap, reliable, fast WR is always going to be on a team like the Jets, even if they are lower on the depth chart.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Ask @BornJetsFan1983.  I don't even know the word for the number of times he's "doubled down" on his bad take.  I lost track after he quintupled down.  What's the one for 12?  Dodecadoubled down?

Something like that. 

On the bright side, at least his take wasn't as bad as @cookiemonsta911's Meyer hot take. That one went cold in awesome fashion.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Hex said:

Something like that. 

On the bright side, at least his take wasn't as bad as @cookiemonsta911's Meyer hot take. That one went cold in awesome fashion.

At least cookiemonsta had the good sense to go ahead and get himself banned after that one.  He put himself out of his misery. 

BornJF1983 just keeps coming back for more abuse.  He may be a masochist.  Which would not be particularly surprising given that just being a Jets fan makes it more likely that you're a masochist than the average populous.  

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At least cookiemonsta had the good sense to go ahead and get himself banned after that one.  He put himself out of his misery. 

BornJF1983 just keeps coming back for more abuse.  He may be a masochist.  Which would not be particularly surprising given that just being a Jets fan makes it more likely that you're a masochist than the average populous.  

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, I bet that 90% of trollers on this site are actually Jets fans like they say they are but lost their sanity 20 years ago

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

His play in Carolina is proof that he sucks.  He had every opportunity to succeed there in a fresh start, when he didn't deserve to be the unquestioned QB1 from the jump or be handed a 5th year option.  Good coaches, good supporting personnel on offense, and a very good defense.  He failed.  Rhule handed him a lifeline, and he failed.  There is no one to blame for that but Sam Darnold. 

If he was so mentally fractured by mean old Adam Gase that it impacted his play in Carolina, then that means Darnold is also even more weak-minded than we thought.  It does not help your case.

Darnold sucks.  

Darnold did terrible in CAR. That was literally my point I'm not sure you going into detail disagrees with me. Its not a simple thing of being weak minded, hard to explain if you never played sports but its kind of like you learn to do things bad and because of situation you have been in, it molds your play and limits potential you once had. Its pretty common and well known thing to happen to players. 

Darnold does in fact suck now.

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol you knuckleheads making foolish arguments is not really abuse. I mean its a weird hill to make your last stand, the berrios is great thing, but hey whatever floats youre boat. 

51 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What people arent taking into account is Berrios is getting better and better.  He hasnt hit his ceiling yet.  This is really the 1st year he has ever gotten a real opportunity to play.

No one thought Edelman was any good his 1st few years in the league.  But he kept getting better and better each year and then when he got playing time, he exploded.

Berrios will keep getting better and better the more he plays.  He is a very important signing for Joe D and I think the Jets have big plans for him in this offense next year.

Well this is true, he has been playing better as the season has gone, I think he has had an opportunity before when he was a number 1 or 2 WR during the season, getting tons of laying time, but this year he does seem to at least making more plays. Maybe he will be decent at some point.

55 minutes ago, Hex said:

Why the heck is this thread still being brought up? It's clear that Berrios, even though he may not be a #1 WR, is a much needed player on any team.

End of story. There's nothing that you can argue that can counter the fact that a cheap, reliable, fast WR is always going to be on a team like the Jets, even if they are lower on the depth chart.

lol reread my very first post. The post is about it will be nice when we have good players from drafts making Berrios obsolete. 

And maybe read the pages that follow too because some people here are directly opposing your facts, they woudl like to make him an expensive WR on the guise the he is some game breaking WR that we need. This of course is ridiculous. 

Also reliable? in what? not in getting open and being a good WR option.