One day the Braxton Berrios type of player will not be on this team

Would love to hang on to Berrios, kid is rock solid on special teams and a solid contributor. I'm not talking big money by any means but I think it would be silly to let him walk.

For those wondering here is his over the cap valuation. Green line is what his salary is, the dots are what he should be paid compared to other WRs around the league

Screenshot_20211208-184130_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Name a team that has a better 5th wr then berrios.  

Crickets.........................................................................

sorry didn't see this till now. Not crickets. I mean every damn team in the league man, just look at the last three we played,, Eagles., texans, and hell the dolphins all have a better back up that berrios.  Is he going to start over andre roberts? Quez? Raegor? Waddle? 

F no way. 

Again just because he had one good return one game does not make him good. This is like when people were asking for crowder to nbe our nUmber 1 WR. No bro. That is insane. We need better talent. A better player should be returning the ball for us or be our WR5, one more talented would have maybe more than one good return in a season. Again he is just a result of bad drafts and poor depth But your question is silly, just what team in the league would he actually start or return kicks for in the league?

Best he could do if not on the jets is be some teams place holder until he is replaced. You acting like the guys is good and deserves his spot, news flash every guys on field on S team plays "hard" doesntm make him good or good for th eteam. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

58 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Jets fans who hate Berrios are weird.

Excellent special teams player, contributes from scrimmage, has the confidence of the QBs and coaches, plays hard, doesn't make mistakes.

Yeah...what a terrible guy to have as a depth player on your team.

how is he excellent? he makes mistakes on returns, literally on the last cuople game he lets one go by and then down it on the 1 yard line. This is what im talking about, some fans are in this fantasy land and think about all these other problem areas to get better but Special teams is very important and we need to get better talent there. berrois is trash heap material and doesnt start any other team in the league. Maybe a couple, someone else has to have terrible WR depth, but you know what they do they play a more talented player...example is Miami with waddle but not the jets we roll out Berrios because he plays hard??!! wtf. pretty cole would too, colman haha also. 

We need to stop letting guys like Berrios be our team. And I for one think that day is coming alot sooner than you think. Joe keep drafting like he has been it literally could be next year. Maybe a rook and some UDFA types...Keenan Cole becomes the WR 5. that would be a good day 

• WTF? 1

54 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

This line of thinking is delusional.  As if no other team in the league has players like Berrios.  Remember that JAG Danny Woodhead?

It’s the same thing with the OL.  Apparently we need 4 first rounders on the line for it to not be total trash.  News flash: every team in the league has talent issues at certain areas.  Berrios as WR5 is not one of them.

Tell me your don't really know what you're talking about with out telling me you really don't know what you are talking about? 

Danny Woodhead had a great career and played far better on the patriots and the Chargers than he ever did here. He was the damn RB 2 for the chargers for a number of years. And we let him walk out of here. He is perfect example in the other direction of your point.

Berrios most definitely is a problem of bad drafting. He is not very talented as a WR and has very little upside in his role. It would be far better to have someone else in his spot. 

Eveyr time someone tries to disagree with my point they argue in my favor, weird. 

Also we dont need 4 first rounders to have a good line, but here you go again making my point better drafting fixes our Berrios problem. A couple upside draft picks int he 2nd, 3rd, 4th round should would help that line out a lot and clear some cap and space (looking at you ROten and the other guy) to help secure and extend younger talented guys. Anyway yeah this comment is is well idk, dont think it makes the point you think it does

21 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

You are right that many players on this roster need to be upgraded. But if Berrios is producing, why can’t he be a viable option for third or fourth receiver going forward? His return was awesome the other day. And he seems to run decent routes. He seems like he can catch the ball. He’s not a number two, but I actually think he would be a contributing player on a lot of teams. 

Is he producing? I just feel like, and yes this is just opinion, so it is what it is, but wouldnt a more talented runner with better hands be better? 

He had one good return, great. Remember Leon Washington? he was also not that huge great starting player but at least he was crazy good at punts and had upside. Miami has waddle take some returns, that is because he has the talent. Berrios as seen in his starting audition season, does not run good routes, consistently can not get open or catch the ball. 

People on here act like he is some good player. If he gets cut he will stay cut. That is not the depth player i want. I want the depth player that if we lose the starter can make plays. Berrious literally has shown us he does not have that ability and every return and route he takes is a waste because some one like Moore or walter should be given a chance. They have upside. 

What team would he contribute to? not trying to be facetious, but honestly.

Another poster asked me to name a team who had a better WR 5 and i was hard pressed to find one, even just out of the teams we have played. I dont know who he plays for if not the jets. And i know that is just resulting from horrible depth and drafts but just like kicker we could get a guy off the street to perform better. AND WE SHOULD!

"Name one then Born Jets fan" - asks some random Jet Nation poster...Ok i will how about walter the RB that we just played the other night...he would be great returning kicks or running a couple routes...much higher upside than berrios.

Berrios sucks.

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Berrios most definitely is a problem of bad drafting. He is not very talented as a WR and has very little upside in his role. It would be far better to have someone else in his spot. 

please explain how he is not talented as a WR. I mean, your saying it with nothing of support makes you look silly. Then you go on to say it would be better to have "someone else" in his spot. Why?  Who?

Is there a better 2nd-string slot receiver? no, there's not. Better kick or punt returner? no. And, really, the only guy who has made more BIG PLAYS is Moore. And really just recently.

This Berrios hate, along with the Bechton and the ________ fill in the blank hate of actually good players on the Jets is really baffling. Until I realize that not everyone is blessed with insight or ability to see beyond the simplistic or "measureables".

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Naturally you want to upgrade any position but Berrios is waaaay on the bottom of the list of our concerns at this time 

that is also true. 

I agree. 

It will be nice as our drafting continues to improve that one day the Berrios problem will be a thing of the past. BUT an argument can be made that getting good returns should be much higher in our list of concerns. After that one good return we got a score and started hot. Led to three TD's to an underperforming Offense and QB.

You might even argue that if we did put a higher concern on it and got some one good to do returns that we might end up with a couple good returns a game potentially giving that struggling offense a chance. Tough for anyone to start at the 10 or 1 yard line.

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Tell me your don't really know what you're talking about with out telling me you really don't know what you are talking about? 

Danny Woodhead had a great career and played far better on the patriots and the Chargers than he ever did here. He was the damn RB 2 for the chargers for a number of years. And we let him walk out of here. He is perfect example in the other direction of your point.

Eveyr time someone tries to disagree with my point they argue in my favor, weird. 

Also we dont need 4 first rounders to have a good line, but here you go again making my point better drafting fixes our Berrios problem. A couple upside draft picks int he 2nd, 3rd, 4th round should would help that line out a lot and clear some cap and space (looking at you ROten and the other guy) to help secure and extend younger talented guys. Anyway yeah this comment is is well idk, dont think it makes the point you think it does

My comment regarding the OL was sarcastic.  The point is JAGs can be serviceable and develop into good players hence Danny Woodhead.  Not a star runner or pass catcher but turned into an effective piece on good/decent teams.  

But clearly, as you mentioned in your OP, you have an unwarranted issue with Berrios that I don't care to delve any further into.  You could have named 20 other players better suited to direct your ire.  Berrios > Mims.

Also you don't seem to be able to form an argument effectively so all I can say is go Jets.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Blitz said:

Why the hell are you so obsessed over Berrios?

He’s a good reliable returner and 4th receiver who we pay very little, in fact extend his ass! Kid actually shows up and contributes. 

cause he is a symptom of a bad team. He makes us worse but giving us sh*t returns and not getting open consistently when he runs routes. Also he could be upgraded but letting someone more talented get those opportunities literally today. But starting any number of better players.

Those players could even be guys like Walter that cost nothing and would be much better for the team. 

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Name one then Born Jets fan" - asks some random Jet Nation poster...Ok i will how about walter the RB that we just played the other night...he would be great returning kicks or running a couple routes...much higher upside than berrio

So you want to replace the the NFLs kick off return leader and quality depth  receiver with a random practice squad RB?……

• Post of the Week 1

i mean, wow, it'd be one thing if dude were dropping balls or running the wrong routes. Or dropping punts, leaving return yards out there. But he's not. 

He's just doing his job. He was doing his job so well that earlier in the year 'astute' Jets fans were upset that the offense was "run through" him. It wasn't. It's just that when a play needed to be made, he was available and able to make them.

What's not to like? What's to hate?

• Sympathy 1

Berrios is a scrub  but since he is our scrub and works hard blah, blah he should be on the team in the eyes of many fans.  I agree he is not the biggest issue on the team but I get the OPs point.  The fact that we have Jeff Smith and Berrios active every Sunday tells you everything you need to know about our WR  and special teams depth. 

Just now, Nick Blitz said:

So you want to replace the the NFLs kick off return leader and quality depth  receiver with a random practice squad RB?……

please DO NOT TELL ME my little brother is leading in kick off return yardage. and these....dummies are dissing him? WTF is wrong with people???

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, phill1c said:

please explain how he is not talented as a WR. I mean, your saying it with nothing of support makes you look silly. Then you go on to say it would be better to have "someone else" in his spot. Why?  Who?

Is there a better 2nd-string slot receiver? no, there's not. Better kick or punt returner? no. And, really, the only guy who has made more BIG PLAYS is Moore. And really just recently.

This Berrios hate, along with the Bechton and the ________ fill in the blank hate of actually good players on the Jets is really baffling. Until I realize that not everyone is blessed with insight or ability to see beyond the simplistic or "measureables".

because he is bargain bin player we took to learn the game plan for the Patriots a number of years ago.

our WR 1, 2, 3, and 4 for a start. Also that kid walter that just started as our RB 3 the other night. But really any other player that has better hands or stronger guy. 

There is a better 2nd string guy, Keenan Cole, Smith,  But also the point my original post was making is that with better drafting this problem goes away, we draft another WR or get a good starter like Keenan Cole in FA and then those guys as well. 

It is not baffling at all. Berrios is not a good WR. Period. Full stop. He is also not a good Return man. Period. Full stop. And that is because he cant consistently catch, get open or have a big return. It is really quite simple. 

Please do not try to conflate other players hate on me. Becton sure had some wieght issues but is going to be jsut fine if he can stay healthy. Also he example of fixing the berrios problem if we have drafted WR int he higher rounds a few more time or at all really, Berrios would not be here.

I just can not agree with you in the slightest. 

What in the world makes you think Cole a better slot receiver? He's barely a good outside WR.

Wait, you're basing this solely the physical measurables. You're completely ignoring anything beyond that. I fully understand, guys that really don't understand that size isn't everything, especially in the WR position.

9 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

My comment regarding the OL was sarcastic.  The point is JAGs can be serviceable and develop into good players hence Danny Woodhead.  Not a star runner or pass catcher but turned into an effective piece on good/decent teams.  

But clearly, as you mentioned in your OP, you have an unwarranted issue with Berrios that I don't care to delve any further into.  You could have named 20 other players better suited to direct your ire.  Berrios > Mims.

Also you don't seem to be able to form an argument effectively so all I can say is go Jets.

ok sarcastic. Yes Jags are serviceable. Danny was always good just misused here - but that is another conversation. But he was more than effective he played great for the chargers and was even their lead back for a number of games. Anyway

I do not have unwarranted issues with him. It is warranted as laid out. No upside, poor hands and not much to show for his part. He is what he is, but would not be starter elsewhere. 26 reception for 250 yards. whoo hoo!! look i don't expect much from him but him not being able to get open or catch the ball is big, then add in not being a very good return man, he just should be replaced and will be sooner than later.

Some posters have mention "oh he is the best returner in the league or something to the effect of him being good....This is classic misdirection and a spin move to get past the eye check. He returns more than most and so has some yards but we are ranked almost dead last in Special teams because he is not that good.

Other would like to give you an inflated measurement of his success. But if you watch the games and see him not make anyone miss, not break away, hell the letting the ball bounce to the 1 yard line, Look I know I shouldn't really blame him for that one. It can happen to anyone and does but damn, but c'mon dude is just bad.

Berrious is a practice squad guy playing a starting role for us cause our roster sucks. This shouldnt need to be really explained much.

17 minutes ago, Nick Blitz said:

kick off return leader really? wow please where can I look up this magical and wise stat? um yes i would love to replace him wiht anyone that can maybe make a guy miss once and a while.

5 minutes ago, phill1c said:

What in the world makes you think Cole a better slot receiver? He's barely a good outside WR.

Wait, you're basing this solely the physical measurables. You're completely ignoring anything beyond that. I fully understand, guys that really don't understand that size isn't everything, especially in the WR position.

because he is a better overall WR with better hands. Dont read what Im not saying. I just said he would be a better return man cause he is more talented. Faster too I think.

No not solely physical measurements - hands, agility play a big part, Cole is capable of making someone miss a tackle which I think is important.

Im not ignoring anything, More is a great example of a smaller guy capable of being in a role not normally done by someone his size. He is smaller but he can move. He woudl be a great returner for us. But I dont really like our WR1 to be our returner. It would better to have someone else say cole or that walter kid.

22 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Berrios is a scrub  but since he is our scrub and works hard blah, blah he should be on the team in the eyes of many fans.  I agree he is not the biggest issue on the team but I get the OPs point.  The fact that we have Jeff Smith and Berrios active every Sunday tells you everything you need to know about our WR  and special teams depth. 

Glasses Off Hold Up GIF - Glasses Off Hold Up Wait - Discover & Share GIFs

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I feel like every team has players like berrios. You can’t have a 53 man roster full of 1st and 2nd round picks.

Berrios is a good return man and solid wr out of the slot. He is really a backup to crowder. He will end the season with about 400 yards receiving as the 5th option. Which is Not bad at all.

I think you are right. Every team does have a WR5 type of guys, just theirs are a little more talented or at least have some sort of upside. We are a draft or two away from having that better WR5 type btw. We just have drafted bad and not had that 2nd or 3rd round WR or UDFA WR on the roster in the wings that is being coached up. 

Berrios is what he is. And not getting better. He has been given the opportunity and does little with it. He is about 250 yards so far so we will see what he is at the end of the year. But the thing is with his opportunities he should be doing better. But drops, not getting open etc.

Look i agree without to a point, it is what it is, but we have a problem when him and SMith our our 5 and 6 guys. We need better talent and maybe as soon as next off season we will have better upside guys. 

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Utterly idiotic take. Give me a smart, tough, high effort guy like Berrios over a loser like Mims any day. 

no one is arguing for Mims over Berrios. But good try i guess. way to miss the topic and argument from the top. Identifying your self as not being part of the conversation is the best way to let people know they should ignore your idiotic take...

I used your word in my comment, see that? its fun writing words...