One day the Braxton Berrios type of player will not be on this team

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

Saleh was right in keeping Berrios active and that bum Mims on the bench to start the season.  Thank You Robert Saleh! Thank You!

as big of waste that berrios offers, mims would be worse it seems. Saleh can only play the games wiht the players he has. But it woudl be nice to see saleh give someone else the opportunity.

59 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

sorry didn't see this till now. Not crickets. I mean every damn team in the league man, just look at the last three we played,, Eagles., texans, and hell the dolphins all have a better back up that berrios.  Is he going to start over andre roberts? Quez? Raegor? Waddle? 

F no way. 

Again just because he had one good return one game does not make him good. This is like when people were asking for crowder to nbe our nUmber 1 WR. No bro. That is insane. We need better talent. A better player should be returning the ball for us or be our WR5, one more talented would have maybe more than one good return in a season. Again he is just a result of bad drafts and poor depth But your question is silly, just what team in the league would he actually start or return kicks for in the league?

Best he could do if not on the jets is be some teams place holder until he is replaced. You acting like the guys is good and deserves his spot, news flash every guys on field on S team plays "hard" doesntm make him good or good for th eteam. 

54 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

how is he excellent? he makes mistakes on returns, literally on the last cuople game he lets one go by and then down it on the 1 yard line. This is what im talking about, some fans are in this fantasy land and think about all these other problem areas to get better but Special teams is very important and we need to get better talent there. berrois is trash heap material and doesnt start any other team in the league. Maybe a couple, someone else has to have terrible WR depth, but you know what they do they play a more talented player...example is Miami with waddle but not the jets we roll out Berrios because he plays hard??!! wtf. pretty cole would too, colman haha also. 

We need to stop letting guys like Berrios be our team. And I for one think that day is coming alot sooner than you think. Joe keep drafting like he has been it literally could be next year. Maybe a rook and some UDFA types...Keenan Cole becomes the WR 5. that would be a good day 

49 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Tell me your don't really know what you're talking about with out telling me you really don't know what you are talking about? 

Danny Woodhead had a great career and played far better on the patriots and the Chargers than he ever did here. He was the damn RB 2 for the chargers for a number of years. And we let him walk out of here. He is perfect example in the other direction of your point.

Berrios most definitely is a problem of bad drafting. He is not very talented as a WR and has very little upside in his role. It would be far better to have someone else in his spot. 

Eveyr time someone tries to disagree with my point they argue in my favor, weird. 

Also we dont need 4 first rounders to have a good line, but here you go again making my point better drafting fixes our Berrios problem. A couple upside draft picks int he 2nd, 3rd, 4th round should would help that line out a lot and clear some cap and space (looking at you ROten and the other guy) to help secure and extend younger talented guys. Anyway yeah this comment is is well idk, dont think it makes the point you think it does

40 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Is he producing? I just feel like, and yes this is just opinion, so it is what it is, but wouldnt a more talented runner with better hands be better? 

He had one good return, great. Remember Leon Washington? he was also not that huge great starting player but at least he was crazy good at punts and had upside. Miami has waddle take some returns, that is because he has the talent. Berrios as seen in his starting audition season, does not run good routes, consistently can not get open or catch the ball. 

People on here act like he is some good player. If he gets cut he will stay cut. That is not the depth player i want. I want the depth player that if we lose the starter can make plays. Berrious literally has shown us he does not have that ability and every return and route he takes is a waste because some one like Moore or walter should be given a chance. They have upside. 

What team would he contribute to? not trying to be facetious, but honestly.

Another poster asked me to name a team who had a better WR 5 and i was hard pressed to find one, even just out of the teams we have played. I dont know who he plays for if not the jets. And i know that is just resulting from horrible depth and drafts but just like kicker we could get a guy off the street to perform better. AND WE SHOULD!

"Name one then Born Jets fan" - asks some random Jet Nation poster...Ok i will how about walter the RB that we just played the other night...he would be great returning kicks or running a couple routes...much higher upside than berrios.

Berrios sucks.

37 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

that is also true. 

I agree. 

It will be nice as our drafting continues to improve that one day the Berrios problem will be a thing of the past. BUT an argument can be made that getting good returns should be much higher in our list of concerns. After that one good return we got a score and started hot. Led to three TD's to an underperforming Offense and QB.

You might even argue that if we did put a higher concern on it and got some one good to do returns that we might end up with a couple good returns a game potentially giving that struggling offense a chance. Tough for anyone to start at the 10 or 1 yard line.

35 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

cause he is a symptom of a bad team. He makes us worse but giving us sh*t returns and not getting open consistently when he runs routes. Also he could be upgraded but letting someone more talented get those opportunities literally today. But starting any number of better players.

Those players could even be guys like Walter that cost nothing and would be much better for the team. 

27 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

because he is bargain bin player we took to learn the game plan for the Patriots a number of years ago.

our WR 1, 2, 3, and 4 for a start. Also that kid walter that just started as our RB 3 the other night. But really any other player that has better hands or stronger guy. 

There is a better 2nd string guy, Keenan Cole, Smith,  But also the point my original post was making is that with better drafting this problem goes away, we draft another WR or get a good starter like Keenan Cole in FA and then those guys as well. 

It is not baffling at all. Berrios is not a good WR. Period. Full stop. He is also not a good Return man. Period. Full stop. And that is because he cant consistently catch, get open or have a big return. It is really quite simple. 

Please do not try to conflate other players hate on me. Becton sure had some wieght issues but is going to be jsut fine if he can stay healthy. Also he example of fixing the berrios problem if we have drafted WR int he higher rounds a few more time or at all really, Berrios would not be here.

I just can not agree with you in the slightest. 

15 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

ok sarcastic. Yes Jags are serviceable. Danny was always good just misused here - but that is another conversation. But he was more than effective he played great for the chargers and was even their lead back for a number of games. Anyway

I do not have unwarranted issues with him. It is warranted as laid out. No upside, poor hands and not much to show for his part. He is what he is, but would not be starter elsewhere. 26 reception for 250 yards. whoo hoo!! look i don't expect much from him but him not being able to get open or catch the ball is big, then add in not being a very good return man, he just should be replaced and will be sooner than later.

Some posters have mention "oh he is the best returner in the league or something to the effect of him being good....This is classic misdirection and a spin move to get past the eye check. He returns more than most and so has some yards but we are ranked almost dead last in Special teams because he is not that good.

Other would like to give you an inflated measurement of his success. But if you watch the games and see him not make anyone miss, not break away, hell the letting the ball bounce to the 1 yard line, Look I know I shouldn't really blame him for that one. It can happen to anyone and does but damn, but c'mon dude is just bad.

Berrious is a practice squad guy playing a starting role for us cause our roster sucks. This shouldnt need to be really explained much.

14 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

kick off return leader really? wow please where can I look up this magical and wise stat? um yes i would love to replace him wiht anyone that can maybe make a guy miss once and a while.

11 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

because he is a better overall WR with better hands. Dont read what Im not saying. I just said he would be a better return man cause he is more talented. Faster too I think.

No not solely physical measurements - hands, agility play a big part, Cole is capable of making someone miss a tackle which I think is important.

Im not ignoring anything, More is a great example of a smaller guy capable of being in a role not normally done by someone his size. He is smaller but he can move. He woudl be a great returner for us. But I dont really like our WR1 to be our returner. It would better to have someone else say cole or that walter kid.

10 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I dont think so. Maybe your just confused?

6 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think you are right. Every team does have a WR5 type of guys, just theirs are a little more talented or at least have some sort of upside. We are a draft or two away from having that better WR5 type btw. We just have drafted bad and not had that 2nd or 3rd round WR or UDFA WR on the roster in the wings that is being coached up. 

Berrios is what he is. And not getting better. He has been given the opportunity and does little with it. He is about 250 yards so far so we will see what he is at the end of the year. But the thing is with his opportunities he should be doing better. But drops, not getting open etc.

Look i agree without to a point, it is what it is, but we have a problem when him and SMith our our 5 and 6 guys. We need better talent and maybe as soon as next off season we will have better upside guys. 

4 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

no one is arguing for Mims over Berrios. But good try i guess. way to miss the topic and argument from the top. Identifying your self as not being part of the conversation is the best way to let people know they should ignore your idiotic take...

I used your word in my comment, see that? its fun writing words...

A.

Mean Girls Stalker GIF

B.

Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I found it hilarious when everyone was giving him credit for the opening return. A got damn actual Jet could have gone through the gap. He couldn’t make one man miss and would have been caught from behind anyways.

Awful.

He’s not really a kick returner though. Probably the only guy in the roster willing to do it.

2 hours ago, Hex said:

Name a team that has a WR that gets as much playing time as Berrios

That could be because of the answer to Joes question.  The one conveniently unanswered.  

How much time did Berrios get vs the Eagles?  Or the Texans?  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I found it hilarious when everyone was giving him credit for the opening return. A got damn actual Jet could have gone through the gap. He couldn’t make one man miss and would have been caught from behind anyways.

Awful.

Theres a good reason why you find it hilarious to actually give him credit for his return.  

It was awful?  

Read Liths post, maybe you'll learn

3 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

This line of thinking is delusional.  As if no other team in the league has players like Berrios.  Remember that JAG Danny Woodhead?

It’s the same thing with the OL.  Apparently we need 4 first rounders on the line for it to not be total trash.  News flash: every team in the league has talent issues at certain areas.  Berrios as WR5 is not one of them.

And these are the kinds of players you come to rely on when you start paying your QB over $30M a year.  Teams like the Packers and Saints have been talent-poor at the middle/bottom of their rosters for a long time now.  (But not the Pats of course - they just cheat and circumvent the cap).

Granted, we aren’t paying our QB yet, and thus shouldn’t be relying on players like these, but this is what you get when you draft poorly for over a decade.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And these are the kinds of players you come to rely on when you start paying your QB over $30M a year.

Granted, we aren’t yet, and this shouldn’t be relying on players like these, but this is what you get when you draft poorly for over a decade.

Berrios is neither the problem nor the solution with this team

• Upvote 1

Berrios as kickoff returner:

2nd in average for returners with 10 or more returns - 28.9

10th in total yards - 520

Berrios as punt returner:

5th in average for punt returns - 13.6 (9 returns)

3rd in fair catches - 18

Zero fumbles

He is one of the top kickoff returners in the league. I change my rating of his punt return skills to middle of the pack, and that is ok. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Sometimes we get so caught up in Wilson etc. bring good or how Corey Davis doesn't live up to expectation etc. But the really big things people just dismiss or dont bring up is how bad our roster really is. We have tons of below average jags, that might pop off a play here or there in their 5000 attempts and look good every now and then, but DAMN, we need to upgrade this roster. 

Some people want to extend this guys or other like him. He is a scrub player. Sorry no offense but he is not a playing ball anywhere else. I like to think and debate about our line and other positions but drafting well is really the only way to get better. And for Joe D. part in all this he has been upgrading us, this last draft especially.

I can not wait till we no longer have these guys on the squad, they are god damn practice squad guys.  

SOme of this is also just bad team management like what we see in Baltimore wiht thier RB's. they had a great back in Tyson - young athletic, good player, and then they run Bell, devaonte and every other run down back in the league to replace him. Why the hell we got COleman, Ty johnson out there all year? It took way too many weeks to get Carter the ball. but look at this kid walter. He should be the back up, 

so drafting is great but we also have to lose this hold on to scrub mentality. Braxton should be gone. Rant over. Also i hate Berrios.

I'll tell ya what Born there are role players on the best rosters in the NFL sometimes losing those guys hurts the roster even more than you would think even if you don't lose starters. Remember back in the 09 10 days when we lost a few blocking TE's and our running game started to suffer for it ? Those players a lot of the time go unseen but they make some nice plays and they certainly have a role. Berrios is that type of guy He by no means should be a starter but he can spell a starter in the slot, he can perform on special teams, and that is valuable to the team. Unless of course you expect every player to just be great across the board and that's never ever going to happen. 

Carter got the ball in the beginning of the year but he's not the type of back you want running between the tackle at a regular rate because it will break him down since he's more of a receiving back. So while I agree I would love to see Ty and Coleman out of here I would also like to see the Jets target a stud RB early in the draft and use Carter the way he should be used and not force him to take  a beating. Ty is not a consistent back he shows flashes but in no way is he the guy and IMHO we need a RB we can rely on to take the bulk of the carries with a guy like Carter getting about 5-10 carries and 7-10 looks in the passing game . Walter is nothing more than another Carter type but not as good as Carter or the way Carter was starting to play before he got hurt.

You can't down play the role players because every roster has them and Berrios while not a starter can provide toughness to the offense and on ST

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

There is an in-between those two. 

He’s a very useful cog in a machine trying to right itself. 

We need playermakers and difference makers but we still need useful cogs. 

He is a type of guy every team needs. Still believe my summation is accurate.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Sometimes we get so caught up in Wilson etc. bring good or how Corey Davis doesn't live up to expectation etc. But the really big things people just dismiss or dont bring up is how bad our roster really is. We have tons of below average jags, that might pop off a play here or there in their 5000 attempts and look good every now and then, but DAMN, we need to upgrade this roster. 

Some people want to extend this guys or other like him. He is a scrub player. Sorry no offense but he is not a playing ball anywhere else. I like to think and debate about our line and other positions but drafting well is really the only way to get better. And for Joe D. part in all this he has been upgrading us, this last draft especially.

I can not wait till we no longer have these guys on the squad, they are god damn practice squad guys.  

SOme of this is also just bad team management like what we see in Baltimore wiht thier RB's. they had a great back in Tyson - young athletic, good player, and then they run Bell, devaonte and every other run down back in the league to replace him. Why the hell we got COleman, Ty johnson out there all year? It took way too many weeks to get Carter the ball. but look at this kid walter. He should be the back up, 

so drafting is great but we also have to lose this hold on to scrub mentality. Braxton should be gone. Rant over. Also i hate Berrios.

Wayner Chrebet may be my absolute favorite all time Jet / Player, and I am sure someone said he was a scrub at one point also.  

***I am not saying Berrios is Chrebet, or ever will be***

I am saying it takes all kinds, and I will take the underdog every time with some talent and heart over all the talent with no desire.   

• Upvote 1

Here's some of his highlight catches last year under Gsae. He was Sam's better outlet WR. I think he was our top WR Gase's first year. Take a look:

Braxton Berrios Highlights 2020-2021 NFL Season - YouTube

Plus since Berrios is not our top WR threat, other teams rarely 'game plan' to stop him, so he seems to just go about anywhere he wants and he's never dbl teamed. He always seems wide open.

38 minutes ago, hawk said:

Wayner Chrebet may be my absolute favorite all time Jet / Player, and I am sure someone said he was a scrub at one point also.  

***I am not saying Berrios is Chrebet, or ever will be***

I am saying it takes all kinds, and I will take the underdog every time with some talent and heart over all the talent with no desire.   

With good QB play and opportunities, given Berrios' effort, there's no reason I don't believe he could become a Cotchery/Edelman type wr.

If any team is getting rid of 5th WRs because they don't have the same output as a starter, they're probably a dumpster fire.

If that said team was a dumpster fire before, then now they're...

What's worse than a dumpster fire? 

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Mean while Barrios was brought in as a return specialist.  He became a WR because everyone else either sucked or was hurt.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

cause he is a symptom of a bad team. He makes us worse but giving us sh*t returns and not getting open consistently when he runs routes. Also he could be upgraded but letting someone more talented get those opportunities literally today. But starting any number of better players.

Those players could even be guys like Walter that cost nothing and would be much better for the team. 

The guy us like a top 10 returner. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

THE WHO WILL AND SHOULD BE ON THIS TEAM EXPERT HAS SPOKEN YOU GUYS!

M not sure what I like more In hat I said this or that you found it.

Either way it's awesome. I'm not sure why this was my hill, it was just a simple observation. That I believe is still accurate. It will be nice not relying on him as a return man or 5th wr. I don't disagree with all the points people making bit they don't necessarily disagree with mine either.

berries is not some great return man tho. I don't buy that and a commenter just said oh patriots would take him and he get 110 receptions... No he wouldn't make the team. He is on our team bwcause our talent sucks. That's it.

he will be gone and someone with potential will replace him eventually. This is a good thing

2 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

With good QB play and opportunities, given Berrios' effort, there's no reason I don't believe he could become a Cotchery/Edelman type wr.

Chrebet  is one of my fav all time jets, but he was an undrafted guy that earned his spot and couple play with the best of them. That is not berries and no berries could never be an edlemen type. Cotchery... Um I think maybe

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The guy us like a top 10 returner. 

Top 10 returner? Based on?

Ranked by who? Love to see that....that's like saying a team has a great run defense when in actuality they just can't stop the pass or vice versa...no they aren't..

Correct me if I'm wrong but berrios is the guy who can't make a guy miss and basically just does a fair catch repeatedly right? Sorry but who ranks him good? 

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I'll tell ya what Born there are role players on the best rosters in the NFL sometimes losing those guys hurts the roster even more than you would think even if you don't lose starters. Remember back in the 09 10 days when we lost a few blocking TE's and our running game started to suffer for it ? Those players a lot of the time go unseen but they make some nice plays and they certainly have a role. Berrios is that type of guy He by no means should be a starter but he can spell a starter in the slot, he can perform on special teams, and that is valuable to the team. Unless of course you expect every player to just be great across the board and that's never ever going to happen. 

Carter got the ball in the beginning of the year but he's not the type of back you want running between the tackle at a regular rate because it will break him down since he's more of a receiving back. So while I agree I would love to see Ty and Coleman out of here I would also like to see the Jets target a stud RB early in the draft and use Carter the way he should be used and not force him to take  a beating. Ty is not a consistent back he shows flashes but in no way is he the guy and IMHO we need a RB we can rely on to take the bulk of the carries with a guy like Carter getting about 5-10 carries and 7-10 looks in the passing game . Walter is nothing more than another Carter type but not as good as Carter or the way Carter was starting to play before he got hurt.

You can't down play the role players because every roster has them and Berrios while not a starter can provide toughness to the offense and on ST

I generally agree with you all good point but don't you think someone more talent might do better, someone that can make a guy miss or power through a tackle?

I mean I don't agree berrios does what you imply, I know he has yard but isn't that more of him just having more returns? Quantity or quality?

Better drafting will lead to someone being the WR 5 that could start somewhere else and maybe give us quality, plus sadly probably quantity too but you know what I'm saying..

I mean maybe we just disagree that's fine but I think you'd probably agree with me. Berries is not that valuable role guy he is just the guy in the role.