One day the Braxton Berrios type of player will not be on this team

BornJetsFan1983

Every single team in the league wants a guy like Berrios on the team.  The guy gives 100% on every play and will do anything asked of him, isn't injured, and he makes plays.  While he may not be the most physically gifted of athletes, he has wicked quick acceleration, we saw it in the Houston game.

Bottom line, if we released Berrios tomorrow, he would be picked up by another team tomorrow.  He's proven himself this year.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He drafted Becton over Justin Jefferson,  Tristan Wirfs, and CeeDee Lamb

and this is why you dont use top draft picks on the OL.

even if Becton didnt get hurt and played well he would be as good as Fant is playing now. but imagine how much better we would be with a weapon like Jefferson or Lamb. 

crazy stat. in 3 years and over 104 targets Berrios has 4 drops. and none this year in 36 targets.

the kid does everything asked of him yet he always is the butt of jokes.

oh poor Sam had scrubs like Berrios to throw to thats why he wasnt good....

omg how dare Saleh play Berrios over Mims. who the hell wants to see Berrios when we have the " Great Mims " on our team. fire Saleh...

i would keep Berrios. he is a reliable backup 

• Upvote 4

I appreciate Berrios. 

It might be that I pay attention more to the Jets roster over other teams but I feel like Jets have way too many undersized players on offense than any other team. Seems like we have 5 or 6 skill players under 6'. I'm not a fan of this. We need more power forwards and less point guards.

11 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Is he producing? .

Berrios sucks.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm

Typically when you suck, you dont lead the league in something positive and typically, when you lead the league in something positive, you are producing.  

Fun thread!

Yds/Kick Return
1. Braxton Berrios  NYJ 28.9
2. Tony Pollard  DAL 28.8
3. Devin Duvernay  BAL 25.5
4. Byron Pringle  KAN 25.4
5. DeAndre Carter  WAS 25.0
6. Isaiah McKenzie  BUF 24.9
7. Jakeem Grant  CHI 24.4
8. Godwin Igwebuike  DET 24.2
9. Jamal Agnew  JAX 23.9
10. Deonte Harris  NOR 23.6
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Sometimes we get so caught up in Wilson etc. bring good or how Corey Davis doesn't live up to expectation etc. But the really big things people just dismiss or dont bring up is how bad our roster really is. We have tons of below average jags, that might pop off a play here or there in their 5000 attempts and look good every now and then, but DAMN, we need to upgrade this roster. 

Some people want to extend this guys or other like him. He is a scrub player. Sorry no offense but he is not a playing ball anywhere else. I like to think and debate about our line and other positions but drafting well is really the only way to get better. And for Joe D. part in all this he has been upgrading us, this last draft especially.

I can not wait till we no longer have these guys on the squad, they are god damn practice squad guys.  

SOme of this is also just bad team management like what we see in Baltimore wiht thier RB's. they had a great back in Tyson - young athletic, good player, and then they run Bell, devaonte and every other run down back in the league to replace him. Why the hell we got COleman, Ty johnson out there all year? It took way too many weeks to get Carter the ball. but look at this kid walter. He should be the back up, 

so drafting is great but we also have to lose this hold on to scrub mentality. Braxton should be gone. Rant over. Also i hate Berrios.

I get being upset about the talent level on the roster but Berrios is just fine.  He's not a scrub.  He just has a bigger role on this team than he would on a more talented team.  But he's still a quality player.  I think good teams actually need guys like this.

Regardless, next year is year 1 of a complete rebuild.  

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Top 10 returner? Based on?

Ranked by who? Love to see that....that's like saying a team has a great run defense when in actuality they just can't stop the pass or vice versa...no they aren't..

Correct me if I'm wrong but berrios is the guy who can't make a guy miss and basically just does a fair catch repeatedly right? Sorry but who ranks him good? 

Hes top 5 in both KR and PR.  Leads the league in KR Yardage I believe.  

Thinking the roster will be better the day we dont have Berrios on it is where you went wrong.  Its any number of scrubs but hes not one of them

• Upvote 1

i won't be a hypocrite because earlier in the year i stated a post where if Berrios is your #1 target, you have issues. I stand by that because he is not a 1,2 or 3 receiver, however, to say we should not have that type of player on the roster is simply incorrect. Say what you want about the guy but he has earned his spot on this roster. Ha plays multiple positions and most important when a ball his thrown his way he typically catches it.

He is not as gifted or hyped as some of the other guys, but players like him are an asset when used properly and not relied upon to be the major source of offense. I believe earlier in the year, the Jets were trending that way. Now I believe they have found the sweet spot for him and personally I would like to see him part of the future of this team. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Ranked by who? Love to see that....that's like saying a team has a great run defense when in actuality they just can't stop the pass or vice versa...no they aren't..

Correct me if I'm wrong but berrios is the guy who can't make a guy miss and basically just does a fair catch repeatedly right? Sorry but who ranks him good? 

Go look at his stats. His punt return and KO return averages are at the near top.

https://www.google.com/search?q=punt+return+average+2021&oq=punt+return+ave&aqs=chrome.2.0i512j69i57j0i512l2j0i22i30l5.12921j0j7&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/kickoff-returns/2021/REG/all/kickreturnsaverageyards/desc

I'm going to add this. On a team with not a lot of talent, complaining about a guy that is ranking not in the top 10 as I said but the top 5 for what we actually acquired him for is about silliest thing I have seen on this site, and that is quite a statement 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

His playing time and numbers are down because he’s (by far) the least experienced of the slot receivers on the team, while they’re paying two 28 yr old veterans $5MM apiece. Since he’s showing value on special teams and is outright faster than Crowder or Cole, he makes the most sense of the 3 to have on returns.

Can’t catch, lol. This year Berrios has zero drops and a 73% catch rate, on the receiving end of a QB who’s shown serious short-yardage touch and ball placement issues, and is only rarely given the opportunity to get any real rhythm with a starting QB. On top of being #1 and #3 in KOR and PR average, he also has zero drops on returns, which is like a kicker nailing XPs: areas where you never credit or even notice the absence of a problem. 

The Jets should be so lucky that even 1 in 10 late rounders + UDFAs + waiver wire additions should be as productive and reliable and drama-free as Berrios. 

With the team 3-9, and more-heralded WRs Mims and Davis (and frankly, Cole) underperforming relative to expectations this season, isolating Berrios as a thread-worthy team problem is just about the silliest take on a website that’s had some pretty silly takes this year. 

This is like complaining about winning only $1000 on a scratch-off lottery ticket.

Well said. Maybe there was something to Berrios leading the team in targets to after week 3 or 4 or whatever is was.  lol

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I found it hilarious when everyone was giving him credit for the opening return. A got damn actual Jet could have gone through the gap. He couldn’t make one man miss and would have been caught from behind anyways.

Awful.

It's also posts like this which keep us from getting five stars on The Google.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Berrios as kickoff returner:

2nd in average for returners with 10 or more returns - 28.9

10th in total yards - 520

Berrios as punt returner:

5th in average for punt returns - 13.6 (9 returns)

3rd in fair catches - 18

Zero fumbles

Is Berrios the TOP returner? No, but he is ONE of the top returners. He is better at kickoff returns than punt returns. His combined numbers as a kick and punt returner still leaves him in the top 15, which makes him a top returner in the league. 

I don't see a single person agreeing with you about Berrios, so let's agree that none of us agree with you and move on.

• Like 1

if berrios was a starting wr for us i’d agree with this post - but as others have already stated he is key special teams guy ( anyone miss jeremy kerley fair catching every punt?) and doesn’t make mistakes when he does play as wr- is he a guy you build an offense around? of course not but he is a guy that can have a role on a playoff team

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

LMFAO.  I thought the bench Wilson this week post was bad but this might take the cake.  

just think of how great this could be if we included the video of zach's girlfriend and mom telling people to kiss their butt after last Sunday? Good times indeed.

7 hours ago, jamesr said:

There's a useful site called NFL.com ... it has things called "stats" that let people rate players.

Here's where Berrios ranks as a kick returner ...

image.thumb.png.abd0b81bb24ef37219d1ee74096294f0.png

That's fifth in the league AT LEAST, though most rankings would remove the guys with only 1 or 2 returns so he'd be second.

Here's where Berrios ranks as a punt returner ...

image.thumb.png.844f626904029b8b8eb439a2f29d0d20.png

That's fifth in the league AT LEAST, though most rankings would remove the guys with only 1 or 2 returns so he'd be third.

Second in kick returns and third in punt returns - as ranked by the league itself. At worst top 5 in both. Hopefully that answers your questions.

/End this garbage thread