One day the Braxton Berrios type of player will not be on this team

I hope we never get to the point where we don't have a player like Berrios. He is very valuable to this team. Decent returner, and pretty solid as a 5th receiver. I am not saying it has to be Berrios going forward but decent playmakers with special teams value are part of the core of any successful NFL team

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I understand the concept, but you're approaching this the wrong way.

All teams need players like Berrios.  Depth guys who can get the job done when called upon but are not SO good that they demand huge salaries and starting positions.

You just can't have a roster full of Pro-Bowl players.  No team does.

The better thread would be "One Day the Corey Davis Type Player Will Not be on This Team"

In other words, a guy who is getting starter money to be the "#1" WR who doesn't have the talent to be the #1 WR.

That's the bigger problem.  Berrios is perfect for the role he plays on the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, jamesr said:

There's a useful site called NFL.com ... it has things called "stats" that let people rate players.

Here's where Berrios ranks as a kick returner ...

image.thumb.png.abd0b81bb24ef37219d1ee74096294f0.png

That's fifth in the league AT LEAST, though most rankings would remove the guys with only 1 or 2 returns so he'd be second.

Here's where Berrios ranks as a punt returner ...

image.thumb.png.844f626904029b8b8eb439a2f29d0d20.png

That's fifth in the league AT LEAST, though most rankings would remove the guys with only 1 or 2 returns so he'd be third.

Second in kick returns and third in punt returns - as ranked by the league itself. At worst top 5 in both. Hopefully that answers your questions.

Dang Bro. I made a note never to argue with you. Show some mercy.

Live view of jamesr ending this thread.

brock lesnar sport GIF by WWE

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

JAGS?  Those are the best kick returners we ever had. 

Right, but the point is kick returners (even good ones) on traditionally good teams aren't typically among the most celebrated players on a team unless they are in the GOAT conversation among KR's/PR's. 

Like, I can't remember too many kick/punt returners on Super Bowl winners off the top of my head, for instance.  lol.  And the only great non-SB winning KR/PR I can think of at the moment is Dante Hall.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think my issue is more "wanting/expecting guys like Berrios to play #1/#2 WR" as opposed to "Berrios returns kicks, and plays #5 WR".

I maintain that Berrios should not be a starting NFL WR.  He's not Wayne Chrebet or Julian Edelman.

But as a depth player, and return/specials guy, he is clearly contributing.

And as we have sadly seen in recent years, many of our #1/#2 WR's have been made of literal tissue paper, so having motivated, try-hard depth guys with durability, as Berrios seems to be, IS in fact of value.

I just don't want to see him starting, same as I felt about Danny Woodhead. 

We should be able to do better at those #1/#2 spots IMO.  Even if we mostly don't.

Fully agreed with all of this.  I guess the only thing I would say to this is its not Berrios' fault that he was put in position be in the WR1/WR2 spot.  Which of course you aren't suggesting.  But it seemed like the OP had a weird personal vendetta against Berrios for some reason when his vitriol should be directed at Douglas and/or the coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right, but the point is kick returners (even good ones) on traditionally good teams aren't typically among the most celebrated players on a team unless they are in the GOAT conversation among KR's/PR's. 

Like, I can't remember too many kick/punt returners on Super Bowl winners off the top of my head, for instance.  lol.  And the only great non-SB winning KR/PR I can think of at the moment is Dante Hall.

Ah.  Got it.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fully agreed with all of this.  I guess the only thing I would say to this is its not Berrios' fault that he was put in position be in the WR1/WR2 spot.  Which of course you aren't suggesting.  But it seemed like the OP had a weird personal vendetta against Berrios for some reason when his vitriol should be directed at Douglas and/or the coaching staff.

In fairness, in the past, I probably seemed like I had a "personal vendetta" against all small underdog WR's myself.

I've always thought there was a portion of our fanbase utterly desperate to re-live the Chrebet thing.  

You can never go back, man.  Nostalgia is great, I proudly wear my Chrebet jersey, and will love him as a fan forever.

Not every short physically limited try-hard guy is Wayne Chrebet.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In fairness, in the past, I probably seemed like I had a "personal vendetta" against all small underdog WR's myself.

I've always thought there was a portion of our fanbase utterly desperate to re-live the Chrebet thing.  

You can never go back, man.  Nostalgia is great, I proudly wear my Chrebet jersey, and will love him as a fan forever.

Not every short physically limited try-hard guy is Wayne Chrebet.

No, you can never go back, but as Jets fans, all we have is a past that had some nice moments and maybe a little bit of hope for the future.  The present always sucks (or at least SEEMS to suck at the time).  

I never buy jerseys anymore (not just because it seems immature to wear one as an adult) because current players always end up disappointing me.  But if I still wore jerseys, I'd rock a Chrebet (the reason my lame username has an 80 in it), because he can't disappoint me.

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think my issue is more "wanting/expecting guys like Berrios to play #1/#2 WR" as opposed to "Berrios returns kicks, and plays #5 WR".

I maintain that Berrios should not be a starting NFL WR.  He's not Wayne Chrebet or Julian Edelman.

But as a depth player, and return/specials guy, he is clearly contributing.

And as we have sadly seen in recent years, many of our #1/#2 WR's have been made of literal tissue paper, so having motivated, try-hard depth guys with durability, as Berrios seems to be, IS in fact of value.

I just don't want to see him starting, same as I felt about Danny Woodhead. 

We should be able to do better at those #1/#2 spots IMO.  Even if we mostly don't.

If Berrios was Wayne Chrebet or Edelman, he wouldn't be a 5th WR

• Upvote 1

I meant to respond to this yesterday. Any dumbass that doesn't realize that guys like Braxton Berrios are what you build the bottom of your roster with have their head jammed up their ass.

He's not a superstar ..he's a consummate professional. I'll take Berrios over Corey Davis any day. Lol it's not even close. JD is confidently building the bottom of this roster so that we don't fall off when one of the three Superstars we have takes a plunge. That's how you build a team.

That's why Berrios was on the Patriots practice squad. You can wish you had 53 guys like him. Oh a humble guy who shows up to work everyday and does anything you ask? You don't see Denzel Mims doing that do you? No he's worried about being Antonio Brown and a Diva.

Mike Devito, Jericho Cotchery, Ty Johnson, Leon Washington, Bart Scott, Wallace Wright, Willie Colon. Etc. These are the guys that actually make up a football team. They're out there all the time, game in and out and you don't even notice because they're doing their job! Berrios is one of those guys and I hope we lock him up for a few more years.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Berrios is exactly the type of player you want on your team.

The Patriots have built a dynasty using guys like him in specific roles. In fact, if the Jets cut him today, he'd be in Foxboro tomorrow.

It's only a problem when he is the only guy you send to the Pro Bowl.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I never buy jerseys anymore (not just because it seems immature to wear one as an adult).....

As an aside, I never understood this.  We all look like morons as it is being obsessed as we are with these silly sports.  I don't think wearing the clothing of a Fan makes us more or less silly to the non-sports-concerned public, lol.

I'll be honest, I could give two sh*ts what someone thinks of me when I wear my gear.  So I'm a big fat old grey dude rocking a Nat's Scherzer jersey (a Sherzey, if you will) or a Mangold Jersey?  So what.  I love my team.  GFY to folks who don't get it.

JMO.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Berrios is not a bad player. I respect him

Agree fully.  Berrios gives 100 %.  He wants to play football and it shows.   Oddly enough, his "patron" was Gase.  No Gase, probably no Berrios.  Not exactly the same, but reminds me a bit of Kotite and Wayne Chrebet.  No Kotite, no Chrebet.

And Keyshawn Johnson didnt seem to think that "flashlight" Chrebet belonged on the same roster with "stars" like himself. 

I'll take a worker/player with good skills and big-time drive over a fancy diva any day.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Devon Hester was the reason the Bears made it to the SB in 07.

Desmond Howard's return for TD was a big reason the Packers won in 96

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Devon Hester was the reason the Bears made it to the SB in 07.

Desmond Howard's return for TD was a big reason the Packers won in 96

Right.  And I said "I can't remember too many", not "I can't remember any".  Can you name any other Super Bowl KR/PR's beyond those 2 over the last 25 years without looking it up?  Not trying to be a d**k, I legit can't remember any beyond the 2 you just listed (who I had in mind when I said what I said).  

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As an aside, I never understood this.  We all look like morons as it is being obsessed as we are with these silly sports.  I don't think wearing the clothing of a Fan makes us more or less silly to the non-sports-concerned public, lol.

I'll be honest, I could give two sh*ts what someone thinks of me when I wear my gear.  So I'm a big fat old grey dude rocking a Nat's Scherzer jersey (a Sherzey, if you will) or a Mangold Jersey?  So what.  I love my team.  GFY to folks who don't get it.

JMO.

I don't necessarily have a problem with other grown men wearing jerseys, its just folks who wear jerseys tend to be much more likely to be a toolbag/jerk than the average population, lol.  And I don't just mean that they're jerks when drunk in a stadium.  Negative experiences with folks in jerseys made me not want to wear a jersey ever again.  

In short, the jerkoffs ruined it for me, otherwise I'd still probably rock a jersey from time to time when I felt like it.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right.  And I said "I can't remember too many", not "I can't remember any".  Can you name any other Super Bowl KR/PR's beyond those 2 over the last 25 years without looking it up?  Not trying to be a d**k, I legit can't remember any beyond the 2 you just listed (who I had in mind when I said what I said).  

Outside of Tyreek Hill? 

The guy on the Ravens 2000 SB team. Forget his name.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Outside of Tyreek Hill? 

The guy on the Ravens 2000 SB team. Forget his name.

Yeah, I wouldn't really count Hill since he's one of the game's best WR's who also happens to be an excellent returner as well.  Gotta be thought of as a KR/PR first to be memorable in that sense.  

I can't remember that Raven either!  

Did Ted Ginn make it it to a SB?  Maybe with New Orleans?