One day the Braxton Berrios type of player will not be on this team

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Oh, he's definitely not a starter. But he's a perfect No. 4 WR - excellent special teamer, can be a viable injury fill-in if need be, and works well as the second slot guy in 4 WR sets. Few NFL teams are going to have starting caliber WRs as their No. 4 or 5 guy, so if anyone has that expectation, that's on them. 

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't know if I would say perfect.  He is a little short and I don't think he has had much success as an outside receiver.  I think they'd have been happy if Cole had been able to take over all of his roles, but Berrios has been better if more limited in the WR roles he fills.  

6 hours ago, jamesr said:

Evidence already presented several times in this thread show he has not had a single drop all year. So please elaborate on how he has "failed with drops"???

Someone needs to take your shovel away, seriously. :D  

No offense meant to you but I think you missed the argument. I was clearly talking about berrios overall, as I said is he is not a good wr and had dropped passes when put in prominent role. Also couldn't really get open (talent) consistently and as the talent of the roster improves so will our Wr 5. 

Soooo...I mean you're welcome to disagree and go full man love to him like others but at least try to stay in the topic. 

And let's just say he never had one drop that would not matter in the slightest. He still make little of his opportunities and a better player would be better to have on the team. 

Not sure how you feel good about being on the other side of that one chief!

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

No offense meant to you but I think you missed the argument. I was clearly talking about berrios overall, as I said is he is not a good wr and had dropped passes when put in prominent role. Also couldn't really get open (talent) consistently and as the talent of the roster improves so will our Wr 5. 

Soooo...I mean you're welcome to disagree and go full man love to him like others but at least try to stay in the topic. 

And let's just say he never had one drop that would not matter in the slightest. He still make little of his opportunities and a better player would be better to have on the team. 

Not sure how you feel good about being on the other side of that one chief!

Moving the Goalposts. …to make sure you'll never become an… | by Polojko |  Geek Culture | Medium

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, jamesr said:

He has a high amount of total yardage because of the amount of kicks he has returned. That is where quantity comes in. I think he is ranked 10th in total yardage.

He has a high average yards per return because of the yardage he gains on each return. This is where quality comes in. I think he ranks 1st or 2nd on that.

So his quality (average return yards) is better than his quantity (total yards). Hence he is seen as a valuable player at the return position - he provides more yardage per return than most other players on other teams.

Same happens with all other positions - guys can get a lot of yards through a lot of touches (I can hear Savage69 yelling "COMPILER" about Curtis Martin right now :D). Others get their yardage on far fewer touches - these are the guys that teams tend to value far more.

Yeah I might have had that wrong...I still want to look at that closer. I looked at some stat...and thought it was the most yards verse someone less opportunities etc..anyway My main point as I have said is that a better player would do better than him and as the roster talent rises he will be replaced  and that is a good thing. 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No, someone had the angle on him and caught him. 

Also he ran 80 yards, players do slow down after that long a gain and get caught by someone who only had to run a portion of that to catch him.  Doesnt mean they suck, not even close 

Youre overthinking it to try and prove an 80 yard return was meaningless and he he sucks because it wasnt a 90 yard return.  Making it two wrong points

Disagree. I think I'm just saying accurately at that , that it was not meaningless. But if we had a better player that he would have got a TD..and that there would be more big returns..

Running the field sure people get tired ...but we are talking nfl caliber WR. You may find it hard to believe but a starting caliber player would have made it. It's not a lineman. It's a wr. They should be able to run the field man.

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Like I said It will be nice. You just wrote that it's fine that a wr can't run the field

Hey Aunt Faaola, what do you mean by can't run the field?  He ran 77th percentile in the 40.  He was 85th percentile in the 3 cone.  I bet most of the sh*theads you want to replace him with run worse.  

• Haha 2

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Hey Aunt Faaola, what do you mean by can't run the field?  He ran 77th percentile in the 40.  He was 85th percentile in the 3 cone.  I bet most of the sh*theads you want to replace him with run worse.  

Lol, who is aunt faaola? He got tired and slowed down. 

Yes his 40 and 3 come is very relevant today.

I only want to replace him with a better wr. Fast would be one of those qualities I would look for.

To be clear a faster and better WR say a little bigger ...is in your opinion a sh*t heads?

Interesting take...

6 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Disagree. I think I'm just saying accurately at that , that it was not meaningless. But if we had a better player that he would have got a TD..and that there would be more big returns..

Running the field sure people get tired ...but we are talking nfl caliber WR. You may find it hard to believe but a starting caliber player would have made it. It's not a lineman. It's a wr. They should be able to run the field man.

An argument can be made that he would have had a td if Griffin had held his block and not fallen over. 

the fact remains that he’s tops of the league as far as the return game, and is a solid contributor in the passing game. He’s not a super star, but he doesn’t have to be. He is simply a dependable player. Every team needs dependable players. But it’s ok, you have the right to be wrong.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Considering about a dozen posters have dunked on you, likely not.  

By dunked you mean not really addressed what I said and just kind of love berrios because he has had a couple good plays. The beautiful thing about jetnation and just because a bunch a posters disagree doesn't make them right. My point is still accurate and my opinion that it will be nice to have more talented player on the team is good.

Berrios is scrub. will be replaced

There are others that don't want to "dunked" on by a few trolls that don't post. It's all good. I don't mind. It's laughable some of these takes.

Just now, the Claw said:

An argument can be made that he would have had a td if Griffin had held his block and not fallen over. 

the fact remains that he’s tops of the league as far as the return game, and is a solid contributor in the passing game. He’s not a super star, but he doesn’t have to be. He is simply a dependable player. Every team needs dependable players. But it’s ok, you have the right to be wrong.

Oh for sure if I was wrong sure...but we probably just have different definitions of dependable. To me that is a guy that can get open consistently. That is not him. That one play or not our Returner should have more big plays and returns. A wr that was better would.

Again I hear your point of view but just think we will be better off with a more naturally gifted and talented player.

Their should be more plays from him given his opportunity. Hell mins had a Big pass earlier in the season, does that mean he is a good WR? No. He is simple not a good WR. Niether is Berrios.

look he is fine as a WR 5 for now..but it will be nice when our roster get better than we have someone with more upside in that spot.

27 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

My main point as I have said is that a better player would do better than him and as the roster talent rises he will be replaced  and that is a good thing. 

Couldn't you say the same about every player in the league? "A better player would do better than him" is a fairly vague point to try to make about one player in particular.

Better players are good - I'm not arguing they're not. But better players cost more money, and you have to look at getting the best value  for money that you can at many positions - mainly the lower end of the roster like your #4 and #5 WR, #4 and #5 DB, #3 RB etc. If these guys can fill a role on offense / defense and also ST, you get more value, and right now Berrios provides value at WR and ST for us.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You are confirmed to be a troll. I would say that you suck as a troll, but you reeled me in, and I swallowed the hook, line, and sinker. Good job!

Confirmed??!!! Damnit. I'm just a guy who wants a better than berrios on the team. Elevating the roster. If that makes me a troll I wear the title proudly!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Oh for sure if I was wrong sure...but we probably just have different definitions of dependable. To me that is a guy that can get open consistently. That is not him. That one play or not our Returner should have more big plays and returns. A wr that was better would.

Again I hear your point of view but just think we will be better off with a more naturally gifted and talented player.

Their should be more plays from him given his opportunity. Hell mins had a Big pass earlier in the season, does that mean he is a good WR? No. He is simple not a good WR. Niether is Berrios.

look he is fine as a WR 5 for now..but it will be nice when our roster get better than we have someone with more upside in that spot.

I guess I just dont understand your point of view. The guy is not a #1 receiver and I don’t think anyone is saying he is. When the ball is thrown his way, though, he tends to be successful. He’s kind of the perfect KR/PR in that you’re getting great production without risking injury to your “better” players (I don’t want Moore returning kicks and punts, do you?). Could he score more TDs? Sure, but even the best ever don’t break too many over the course of a season. 

I would love it if the AFC Pro Bowl team was made up of nothing but Jets players, but that’s just not possible. Berrios has been a solid contributor for a club that desperately needs solid contributors. If Corey Davis, for one example, was more like Berrios he might justify his contract. 

i respect your disagreement, but it’s a little silly at this point, imo.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Couldn't you say the same about every player in the league? "A better player would do better than him" is a fairly vague point to try to make about one player in particular.

Better players are good - I'm not arguing they're not. But better players cost more money, and you have to look at getting the best value  for money that you can at many positions - mainly the lower end of the roster like your #4 and #5 WR, #4 and #5 DB, #3 RB etc. If these guys can fill a role on offense / defense and also ST, you get more value, and right now Berrios provides value at WR and ST for us.

Yes agreed ?

Your right with this take. I do not disagree. My post was just saying when we have a better roster and we draft a guy like Moore he becomes the Wr 4 or 5 and that will be Great. Right now Moore walked in as our number 1 or close to it because of bad drafting.

That was my point. Berrios only has his role cause we have bad roster.

4 minutes ago, the Claw said:

I guess I just dont understand your point of view. The guy is not a #1 receiver and I don’t think anyone is saying he is. When the ball is thrown his way, though, he tends to be successful. He’s kind of the perfect KR/PR in that you’re getting great production without risking injury to your “better” players (I don’t want Moore returning kicks and punts, do you?). Could he score more TDs? Sure, but even the best ever don’t break too many over the course of a season. 

I would love it if the AFC Pro Bowl team was made up of nothing but Jets players, but that’s just not possible. Berrios has been a solid contributor for a club that desperately needs solid contributors. If Corey Davis, for one example, was more like Berrios he might justify his contract. 

i respect your disagreement, but it’s a little silly at this point, imo.

Fair enough and good Corey Davis comment. I think you'd agree that our drafted wr like say mins or Moore should be in that berrios role. When we have a better roster they will. 

And that is all I'm saying, that's not silly. Its something we can look forward to. 

I also don't buy berrios is some great returner for us. But maybe I'm wrong...maybe he average play is a lot better than I think.many on here seem to think so. But even with that said a better WR would be more beneficial to the team.

43 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Do you understand the concept of angles?  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Like I said It will be nice. You just wrote that it's fine that a wr can't run the field

And now I get it.  You have no idea what you tread, because I never said and are claiming I said things that I didn’t say.

And actually are making the case that Berrios can’t run the field.  I’m done with this, you aren’t able to take in what everyone is telling you.  
Keep telling yourself that 80 yard returns are bad and that tackling someone after having the angle proves that player if a WR can’t run the field

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And now I get it.  You have no idea what you tread, because I never said and are claiming I said things that I didn’t say.

And actually are making the case that Berrios can’t run the field.  I’m done with this, you aren’t able to take in what everyone is telling you.  
Keep telling yourself that 80 yard returns are bad and that tackling someone after having the angle proves that player if a WR can’t run the field

I can't remember the guy's name, but he made a GREAT play to save that TD. I remember giving credit to him at the time. I don't get mad when the other team makes a great play. The fact that someone could possibly put a negative spin on an 80 yard return is beyond me.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I can't remember the guy's name, but he made a GREAT play to save that TD. I remember giving credit to him at the time. I don't get mad when the other team makes a great play. The fact that someone could possibly put a negative spin on an 80 yard return is beyond me.

Because it SHOULD have been a 140 yard return. 

• Haha 4

On 12/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Sometimes we get so caught up in Wilson etc. bring good or how Corey Davis doesn't live up to expectation etc. But the really big things people just dismiss or dont bring up is how bad our roster really is. We have tons of below average jags, that might pop off a play here or there in their 5000 attempts and look good every now and then, but DAMN, we need to upgrade this roster. 

Some people want to extend this guys or other like him. He is a scrub player. Sorry no offense but he is not a playing ball anywhere else. I like to think and debate about our line and other positions but drafting well is really the only way to get better. And for Joe D. part in all this he has been upgrading us, this last draft especially.

I can not wait till we no longer have these guys on the squad, they are god damn practice squad guys.  

SOme of this is also just bad team management like what we see in Baltimore wiht thier RB's. they had a great back in Tyson - young athletic, good player, and then they run Bell, devaonte and every other run down back in the league to replace him. Why the hell we got COleman, Ty johnson out there all year? It took way too many weeks to get Carter the ball. but look at this kid walter. He should be the back up, 

so drafting is great but we also have to lose this hold on to scrub mentality. Braxton should be gone. Rant over. Also i hate Berrios.

LOL thats a fine rant and all but you're wrong. 

Every team has players like Berrios. Bottom of the roster players that contribute on special teams, don't eat up much salary cap and are good locker room guys. Do you NEED players like that? Maybe not. But pretty much every team has them in some capacity. You can call him a 'scrub' or a JAG but he is a depth player who contributes on special teams- and again, doesn't eat up cap space and didn't cost you a draft pick.   

You're wrong. Rant over. lol. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Yes agreed ?

Your right with this take. I do not disagree. My post was just saying when we have a better roster and we draft a guy like Moore he becomes the Wr 4 or 5 and that will be Great. Right now Moore walked in as our number 1 or close to it because of bad drafting.

That was my point. Berrios only has his role cause we have bad roster.

i bet you cut Berrios next year and a good team picks him up and he plays well for them. 

there is always a role for a guy like Berrios at WR4 or WR5. the guy has 4 drops in 3 years( 104 targets ) and zero on 36 targets this year.  why would you not want this guy.

he plays between 19-30 % of the snaps and catches everything thrown at him. every team wants someone like that.

and WR is our deepest position. do you really think someone as good as Moore or Cole would be fine sitting the bench and getting 19% of the snaps? no they would be gone the sec they could. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Epps made the tackle on the opening KO return.

• Upvote 1