One day the Braxton Berrios type of player will not be on this team

BornJetsFan1983

Berrios is a quality player, the problem is when he's your best option it's not good for an offense.  With Moore and Davis healthy, with the RBs healthy, with arguing more talent he becomes much more dangerous.  There no reason to even consider moving on from him

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This thread needs to become the new "Wes Welker?  Seriously?" thread so you can get dunked on repeatedly for eternity.  

Let's assume Berrios is a JAG.

I'm enthralled by the suggestion that the Jets -- of all teams -- will create a JAG-free Super Team before the Sun exhausts its hydrogen-fuel supply.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This thread needs to become the new "Wes Welker?  Seriously?" thread so you can get dunked on repeatedly for eternity.  

I am not familiar with the wes Weller thread... But berrios is no Weller that is for sure. The dunks are not as spectacular as you think. 

Nothing presented in this thread has done anything to show anyone that we don't need better players. Like i said. 

People like yourself just love to suck on some berries and pretend he is great. He is not. And when he is replace with a more naturally talented player that had a chance to develop into a WR1 2 or 3 you won't be complaining. You will just forget that you ever had your berries hard on. It's fine. Whatever

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I am not familiar with the wes Weller thread... But berrios is no Weller that is for sure. The dunks are not as spectacular as you think. 

Nothing presented in this thread has done anything to show anyone that we don't need better players. Like i said. 

People like yourself just love to suck on some berries and pretend he is great. He is not. And when he is replace with a more naturally talented player that had a chance to develop into a WR1 2 or 3 you won't be complaining. You will just forget that you ever had your berries hard on. It's fine. Whatever

Hahahahaha

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Name one team in the whole NFL who wouldn't be better with better players, or wouldn't want better players? :-) 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Did you just double down on this terrible take after 2 weeks in a row of Braxton Berrios proving his worth and showing that he's a long-term fixture and part of the future of this team?  

Impressive.  I appreciate the commitment to your wrongness. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Sometimes we get so caught up in Wilson etc. bring good or how Corey Davis doesn't live up to expectation etc. But the really big things people just dismiss or dont bring up is how bad our roster really is. We have tons of below average jags, that might pop off a play here or there in their 5000 attempts and look good every now and then, but DAMN, we need to upgrade this roster. 

Some people want to extend this guys or other like him. He is a scrub player. Sorry no offense but he is not a playing ball anywhere else. I like to think and debate about our line and other positions but drafting well is really the only way to get better. And for Joe D. part in all this he has been upgrading us, this last draft especially.

I can not wait till we no longer have these guys on the squad, they are god damn practice squad guys.  

SOme of this is also just bad team management like what we see in Baltimore wiht thier RB's. they had a great back in Tyson - young athletic, good player, and then they run Bell, devaonte and every other run down back in the league to replace him. Why the hell we got COleman, Ty johnson out there all year? It took way too many weeks to get Carter the ball. but look at this kid walter. He should be the back up, 

so drafting is great but we also have to lose this hold on to scrub mentality. Braxton should be gone. Rant over. Also i hate Berrios.

Berrios deserves an extension. He is the exact player winning teams have. He can play offense in a pinch and is great on special teams. Players like Berrios push out players who may be more talented but lack heart and consistency. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

One of the criticisms that I saw listed is that Berrios never makes a guy miss in the return game. On Sunday on one Dolphins punt the gunner was bearing down on Berrios and had him right in his sights - should have been a 2-3 yard return at best, but Berrios juked the guy so bad he never laid a finger on him and the return went for 10+ yards instead.

Never makes guys miss ... except when he does. :D  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

One of the criticisms that I saw listed is that Berrios never makes a guy miss in the return game. On Sunday on one Dolphins punt the gunner was bearing down on Berrios and had him right in his sights - should have been a 2-3 yard return at best, but Berrios juked the guy so bad he never laid a finger on him and the return went for 10+ yards instead.

Never makes guys miss ... except when he does. :D  

He is -- as of last week -- #2 in avg. yards per return. I don't care about style points. I care about results.

• Upvote 2

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/kickoff-returns/2021/REG/all/kickreturnsyards/DESC

@BornJetsFan1983

You need to study this chart in depth. Not only is Berrios NOT a JAG, I would argue that he has been an elite kick returner this year. 

The man is 3rd in the league in kickoff return yards and before you spew out "well that's because we get scored on all the time", he is about middle of the league in number of returns. 

Also, amazingly, he has a catch percentage of 70.1%, only trailing Jamison Crowder, meaning, when Zach throws him the ball... he actually catches it. 

We need about 5 more of Braxton Berrios. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

He is -- as of last week -- #2 in avg. yards per return. I don't care about style points. I care about results.

To be fair, a good blocking scheme / return team can make an average returner look good. But the play that I saw Sunday was all on Berrios - without that jitter he's nailed for minimal gain. All those yards were "his" rather than "team yards" so to speak.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

To be fair, a good blocking scheme / return team can make an average returner look good. But the play that I saw Sunday was all on Berrios - without that jitter he's nailed for minimal gain. All those yards were "his" rather than "team yards" so to speak.

I hear you. I still stick to my tried-and-true player eval model: "Good players play good football."

Once you open Pandora's Box (was it the player or his supporting cast?) you just get into a k-hole of paralysis by analysis IMHO.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JiFapono said:

You got to give it to him, look how excited he is to be dunked on!  It's really a perfect gif.  Well done.

You guys love this guy ... Well enjoy him while you can because one we have a decent NFL roster he is going to be bye bye.

I seriously never understood this love of crap players...berries cager, cotchery name a underwhelming WR that doesn't make a team anywhere else.

I mean I'm all for rooting for the team but you guys of keep my original comment and point and that it will be good when our 5th wr is someone good.

18 hours ago, VUJetsfan said:

Berrios deserves an extension. He is the exact player winning teams have. He can play offense in a pinch and is great on special teams. Players like Berrios push out players who may be more talented but lack heart and consistency. 

Well he can take snaps in the offense sure. But he doesn't play well. Winning team have guy with high upside in his spot usually. .. rooks getting up to speed etc..

Berries doesn't push any one out he is there because we don't have anyone better...outhe guys who should be in his spot are our new number 1 wr and and mims. Mims is trash so no worry and Moore has already ascended the depth chart.

12 hours ago, JTJet said:

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/kickoff-returns/2021/REG/all/kickreturnsyards/DESC

@BornJetsFan1983

You need to study this chart in depth. Not only is Berrios NOT a JAG, I would argue that he has been an elite kick returner this year. 

The man is 3rd in the league in kickoff return yards and before you spew out "well that's because we get scored on all the time", he is about middle of the league in number of returns. 

Also, amazingly, he has a catch percentage of 70.1%, only trailing Jamison Crowder, meaning, when Zach throws him the ball... he actually catches it. 

We need about 5 more of Braxton Berrios. 

When we have seen anyone throw to berrios more he doesn't get open. Hey don't take away from his achievement. He has his role on the team I'm just saying it will be good when guys like Moore who we draft are that wr 5 guy. Instead with our sh*tty roster...we have him in the rear.

Huh? I'm I don't think there is one team that wouldn't want better players...ahhh ummm... good observation by you I guess....
This seems to be the premise of your entire argument in this thread, I was just rewording it for you.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

When we have seen anyone throw to berrios more he doesn't get open. Hey don't take away from his achievement. He has his role on the team I'm just saying it will be good when guys like Moore who we draft are that wr 5 guy. Instead with our sh*tty roster...we have him in the rear.

Stop digging your hole deeper, and submit. You lost the argument like 4 pages ago. 

Most WR4/5s are not players you draft, a great majority are undrafted FAs. 

Berrios produces for the limited role he is used.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Well he can take snaps in the offense sure. But he doesn't play well. Winning team have guy with high upside in his spot usually. .. rooks getting up to speed etc..

Berries doesn't push any one out he is there because we don't have anyone better...outhe guys who should be in his spot are our new number 1 wr and and mims. Mims is trash so no worry and Moore has already ascended the depth chart.

I think your expectations on depth and talent are a bit off. If you're expecting teams to be so talent stacked that they are spending high second round draft picks on a #4 / #5 WR ... that's not reality. In my opinion, anyway.

Here's what the mighty Pats have as their #4, #5 and #6 WRs:

10 catches for 169 yards, 0 TDs

1 catch for 46 yards, 0 TDs

1 catch for 22 yards, 0 TDs; 5 rushes for 23 yards, 0 TDs; 24  punt returns for 289 yards (12 yards avg); 14 KO returns for 346 yards (24.7 yards avg)

Would any of those guys start on other NFL teams any more than Berrios?

33 catches for 329 yards, 1 TD; 7 rushes, 54 yards 1 TD; 14 punt returns for 189 yards (13.5 yards avg); 23 KO returns for 659 yards (28.6 yards avg)

Berrios is currently outperforming all three of these players combined (and one of those three is a former first round pick).

Why does such a strong team as NE have such JAG depth? Because all teams do. You can't have a roster full of stars and high draft picks. It's not a Jet thing, it's a league thing. Berrios, as a #4 / #5 WR and special teams returner, is better than a lot of teams have in that same spot.

Rather than being symbolic of what is wrong with the Jets, Berrios is one of the (few) things that we've actually got right.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I think your expectations on depth and talent are a bit off. If you're expecting teams to be so talent stacked that they are spending high second round draft picks on a #4 / #5 WR ... that's not reality. In my opinion, anyway.

Here's what the mighty Pats have as their #4, #5 and #6 WRs:

10 catches for 169 yards, 0 TDs

1 catch for 46 yards, 0 TDs

1 catch for 22 yards, 0 TDs; 5 rushes for 23 yards, 0 TDs; 24  punt returns for 289 yards (12 yards avg); 14 KO returns for 346 yards (24.7 yards avg)

Would any of those guys start on other NFL teams any more than Berrios?

33 catches for 329 yards, 1 TD; 7 rushes, 54 yards 1 TD; 14 punt returns for 189 yards (13.5 yards avg); 23 KO returns for 659 yards (28.6 yards avg)

Berrios is currently outperforming all three of these players combined (and one of those three is a former first round pick).

Why does such a strong team as NE have such JAG depth? Because all teams do. You can't have a roster full of stars and high draft picks. It's not a Jet thing, it's a league thing. Berrios, as a #4 / #5 WR and special teams returner, is better than a lot of teams have in that same spot.

Rather than being symbolic of what is wrong with the Jets, Berrios is one of the (few) things that we've actually got right.

The thread should really end with this. 

@BornJetsFan1983 dont attempt a reply to his comment. You've failed at your mission.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1