Kiper moves Hutchinson to #1 overall

Michigan senior DE Aidan Hutchinson has moved to the top spot of ESPN NFL Draft Analyst Mel Kiper's "Big Board".

Hutchinson (6'6/269) has played his way to the Heisman Trophy ceremony on December 11th, and now, also, onto the top spot of Kiper's draft board. The senior defensive end set Michigan's single-season sack record (14.0) and recorded three sacks in Michigan's wins over Penn State and Ohio State. Kiper believes that the no. 1 overall draft pick in the 2022 NFL Draft will come down to either Hutchinson or Oregon EDGE rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux, who he currently has at no. 2. Kiper has also elevated Michigan EDGE rusher David Ojabo to no. 9 on his board, after Ojabo's 11 sack season.

RELATED: 
SOURCE: The Detroit News
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Michigan senior DE Aidan Hutchinson has moved to the top spot of ESPN NFL Draft Analyst Mel Kiper's "Big Board".

Hutchinson (6'6/269) has played his way to the Heisman Trophy ceremony on December 11th, and now, also, onto the top spot of Kiper's draft board. The senior defensive end set Michigan's single-season sack record (14.0) and recorded three sacks in Michigan's wins over Penn State and Ohio State. Kiper believes that the no. 1 overall draft pick in the 2022 NFL Draft will come down to either Hutchinson or Oregon EDGE rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux, who he currently has at no. 2. Kiper has also elevated Michigan EDGE rusher David Ojabo to no. 9 on his board, after Ojabo's 11 sack season.

RELATED: 
SOURCE: The Detroit News

Really hard to say what Detroit will do

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If we miss out on the top 2 edge guys, I see us trading back to around 10-12.  With the way fant is playing and becton going to get moved to RT, we dont need a top end tackle.  Trade back a few spots and keep stockpiling picks.  Maybe someone comes up for a qb.

I'm not a draft expert and don't claim to know what I'm talking about but I think I would trade down as well.  I believe JD is capable of making smart picks (2021 good > 2020 bad) and stockpiling picks gives us more options in the early-mid rounds to reach for players we like if need be.

Also, assuming we fix some holes in FA, we can rely on less rookies immediately starting, and having more picks in the mid rounds can really help shape up this roster for the future.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It has been 100% been proven on these forums over the last decade that any of a dozen people on here would have drafted vastly better than the Jets talent wise and team building wise

Yeah but people go over board with it...I get liking the draft and doing work on it but people get deluded. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

Yeah but people go over board with it...I get liking the draft and doing work on it but people get deluded. 

When your team has been as bad as the jets have been for years, and the team has almost no trust built up with good success moves then this is what you get.

The alternative is for people to say F*** it and ignore the Jets.  There has to be some kind of pay off for fans that hang around these forums as much as some of us do.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

When your team has been as bad as the jets have been for years, and the team has almost no trust built up with good success moves then this is what you get.

The alternative is for people to say F*** it and ignore the Jets.  There has to be some kind of pay off for fans that hang around these forums as much as some of us do.

Oh don't get me wrong looking forward to the draft and doing work on it is fun, so is the excitement of getting new players.  The silliness comes when people start getting into arguments and become arrogant about players that they have no clue if they are gonna translate to the pros. It's a lot of fun if you don't get emotional about it.  

• Upvote 3

The reason that the QB's aren't getting all the hype early on is because none of the big blue blood schools are having QB's come out this year.

There is some talent in this draft, and the momentum will get rolling during the draft process.  I really do think we'll have a shot at trading back if we want to.