Saleh Thinks Becton Will Return; Won’t Speculate On His Position

JetNation

NY Jets Injury Report

Robert Saleh spoke to the media on Wednesday and gave injury updates for the NY Jets Roster.  An interesting exchange took place when Saleh was asked about Mekhi Becton returning. More on that below, first here is the injury update.

Elijah Moore is dealing with a quad, he’s day-to-day. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, he’s day-to-day. Tevin Coleman and Michael Carter II are in the concussion protocol. Trevon Wesco is day-to-day with an ankle. Ryan Griffin is day-to-day with an ankle. (Sheldon) is day-to-day with a knee. None of them are practicing today.

Keelan Cole is back off the COVID list and is practicing.

Mike White is still going through the return to play as it pertains to COVID. Kind of similar to (Denzel) Mims, because had two weeks, there’s a process that they have to go through to get him back. So, we’re working through that.

How serious is Elijah’s injury? Is that related to the injury he suffered in training camp?

We’ll know more as the week goes on. I’m still hopeful that he’ll be able to make it Sunday. No, it came on really late, so I didn’t have any detail on Monday. Didn’t really get a hold of it until really Tuesday.

Mekhi Becton Update

No update yet. It’s really the same. He hasn’t had a setback or anything, just everyone is different in terms of how they heal and all that stuff. So, hopefully we can get something going soon, but it’s all the same.

Was he supposed to be on the field, like field work?

He’s still doing field work.

Everyone is different and some people take a little longer, but this was originally a four-to-six recovery, then went four-to-eight. We’re now about a month past that eight-week timetable, is it alarming at all that he’s not…?

No, because his was different. You’re right, it was different in terms of, if you guys remember there was that talk of whether or not there was going to be surgery to shut it down, too. So, his was a little bit different than any other one. Always felt like it was going to be more, personally, just because the way it was spoken was different than (Conor) McDermott’s. So, I’m not at all surprised or discouraged. He’s going to heal, he’ll be back, and he’ll be fine.

Are you still think he’ll be back this season?

Hopefully, yeah, I’m still hopeful.

How do you balance that with only five games left? When does it become too late than it’s worth getting him out there on the field? 

No, I don’t think it’s ever too late. I think he’s got a desire to play for his teammates, play for his family and all that. So, whether it’s one game, two games, I don’t think it really matters to him, he just wants to get back on the field.

Where would he play if he came back?

I’ll speculate on that one later.

With Mekhi though, is there a point where you have to say like, “Okay, if he’s not back by here, we’re just going to shut it down?”

No, I’m not ready to even think about that one yet

NY Jets Injury Report

The post Saleh Thinks Becton Will Return; Won’t Speculate On His Position appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Becton needs to shut it down for the year and come back 50 pounds lighter next year.   The last thing this team needs is another excuse for why Becton is out of shape and overweight.    Maybe LT, maybe RT, maybe RG - regardless...dude needs to get in shape and figure out how to stay on the field.  

He needs to figure out if he wants to play football. The Jets should have flagged this before the draft...but alas. Im not confident. Seems like a pampered headcase, which is like the polar opposite personality of a starting NFL tackle.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He needs to figure out if he wants to play football. The Jets should have flagged this before the draft...but alas. Im not confident. Seems like a pampered headcase, which is like the polar opposite personality of a starting NFL tackle.

What exactly says hes pampered or a head case?  That he had a player rollup on his knee and it gave out?  Or that he doesnt want to play football?

Which one does it fall under?  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What exactly says hes pampered or a head case?  That he had a player rollup on his knee and it gave out?  Or that he doesnt want to play football?

Tapping out games, missing the entire offseason, taking his time to get back, not controlling his diet. The Pauline article referenced all of this…

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Tapping out games, missing the entire offseason, taking his time to get back, not controlling his diet. The Pauline article referenced all of this…

Tapping out of games?  When youre hurt?  

Who says he wasnt controlling his diet or took his time to get back from wherever youre imagining he was at one time 

None of this makes him pampered or a head case.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He took himself out of games all the time last season. Playing nicked up is part of being a nfl lineman

I love how you just know how he felt when he took himself out of games a couple of times last year.

And how all his injuries are in his head, not physical.  As in being pampered or a head case.  And it should have been picked up pre draft.  Should have asked, are you pampered or a head case?  Will you take yourself out of a few games if you feel something is wrong in your body?  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I love how you just know how he felt when he took himself out of games a couple of times last year.

And how all his injuries are in his head, not physical.  As in being pampered or a head case.  And it should have been picked up pre draft.  Should have asked, are you pampered or a head case?  Will you take yourself out of a few games if you feel something is wrong in your body?  

A starting offensive lineman taking himself out of games is not a starting olineman. Playing nicked up is part of the job. Ask Brick or any other successful player. Your LT tapping out is unheard of. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What exactly says hes pampered or a head case?  That he had a player rollup on his knee and it gave out?  Which one does that fall under?  

Yeah in the absence of leaks & whispers to corroborate, that was a bit much for me, too. 

Truth is this could be the best thing anyway while he’s been hurt. It’s no secret he’s not a finished product, and instead of seeing the team suffer through 1-2 scrub tackles while he’s out, he’s seeing two NFL veterans performing, and presumably is taking note of what they’re doing right and picking their brains.

He’s also seeing that the team isn’t rushing to get him back onto the field at all costs either, just because he was a high draft pick with serious ability, unique upside, and a mostly very promising rookie season.

It’s been nice having the #3 OT on the field for 3 months and it isn’t a McDermott or Edoga type, without drawing conclusions about how that therefore means Becton is a bust himself. Sometimes the truth is good enough: he’s a large man who got his ankle rolled by a large man, and the team has the depth-luxury of not even needing him out there right now.

• Upvote 1

I

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I still wonder if he’s ready to return but has been advised to act like he’s still recovering and not quite ready yet. 

There’s nowhere to put him right now. While Fant’s description of flipping sides was surely an exaggeration, flipping isn’t nothing. Hasn’t Becton been playing the same position for years? So suddenly playing RT, in his first return to the field after months, isn’t going to be seamless. 

The way things are right now a healthy Fant can’t be pulled (or even moved). Maybe you could argue Moses, but even with the occasional whiff, on balance this 30 yr old must-start veteran is having another above average season. He hasn’t earned a benching, and that won’t be a good look for Saleh to do so to give Becton his first live snaps at RT.

So where does Becton fit right now, where it immediately makes the OL better? Not by talent and upside - Becton has more than either starter - but I mean in production where the team is better off benching someone else right now? Even more difficult to rationalize benching either one with a rookie QB who’s still got some pocket presence issues of his own. 

They may as well pretend Becton’s still not ready to return from his injury, at least until one of the starting tackles gets injured himself. Seems that’s the best way to save face for both the player and the GM, because until something changes independent of Becton’s availability, neither starting tackle right now should be pulled. 

I don't see it.  I think they would just rotate him in for a series on either side.  Maybe both.  Plenty of teams have done that.  It would limit the amount of plays he'd have to know backwards and forwards and probably keep him from looking as lost as week 1.  Who is their #1 backup tackle right now?  Anybody goes down and you are flopping guys around and probably ending up with Van Roten and Feeney on the field at the same time.  You think these guys are willingly signing up for that because Fant has played well? 

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I

I don't see it.  I think they would just rotate him in for a series on either side.  Maybe both.  Plenty of teams have done that.  It would limit the amount of plays he'd have to know backwards and forwards and probably keep him from looking as lost as week 1.  Who is their #1 backup tackle right now?  Anybody goes down and you are flopping guys around and probably ending up with Van Roten and Feeney on the field at the same time.  You think these guys are willingly signing up for that because Fant has played well? 

Yep.

If Fant goes down, and Becton’s ready to play (health-wise) his sub-in is easy.

If Moses goes down, while it’s easy for armchair coaches to say leave Fant alone at LT and put Becton at RT, that might make the line worse than moving Fant. Maybe that is the right move, but absent a whole lot of live practice reps at RT, this will be an area where Becton won’t be able to rely upon nearly the years of muscle memory he’s got on the left side.

Even before this career-year at LT, one of Fant’s strengths is his versatility; I don’t automatically assume Becton will be as versatile (let alone suddenly versatile). The overall line might be better with Becton at LT and Fant at RT, even if individually Fant is the superior LT the way he’s playing right now, especially over a just-activated Becton. I wonder if they’re privately drilling him at RT, where he previously got zero drills/reps.

There’s also some silver lining in that it’s in some ways a good problem to have (when he can return): the NYJ have 3 starter-worthy tackles: 2 of them are fits at LT, at least 2 of them can fit at RT, and all 3 have displayed above-average NFL-level ability on the field in their most recent healthy seasons. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, everything you said is true and could you imagine if they pull one the two tackles to put Becton in and he gets hurt again? The play right now for the team is to keep him strengthening, rehabbing and I hope to God fitted for  those nifty knee braces the NCAA kids wear.

Let the old dudes play because honestly they have both earned it. If one of them gets dinged up you and Becton is  ready let him come in and  hopefully he plays well gets some of his confidence back in himself as well as the confidence of the  staff and team. Zach showed last game a small flicker of the light turning on in his head and throwing any variable at him that isn’t necessary is just plain stupid. It’s bad enough injuries are likely costing him Davis, Michael Carter and possibly Moore this week. No others distractions needed, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

I think you have to look at how douglas’ draft picks in 2020 are viewed by the coaching staff, which was not here then.  Becton mims and Perine all are not faring well.  Perine seems like an obvious cut.  Mims seems like an obvious trade candidate.  And truth, i would not be surprised if they now see becton as a trade candidate, where they know they have 2 good first rounders coming up and they can use 1 on a pass rusher and the other on a tackle who is a better fit for their scheme.  

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

Becton needs to shut it down for the year and come back 50 pounds lighter next year.   The last thing this team needs is another excuse for why Becton is out of shape and overweight.    Maybe LT, maybe RT, maybe RG - regardless...dude needs to get in shape and figure out how to stay on the field.  

I do not get this at all. Everyone here is saying Becton is fat, one poster said obese. When I look at this guy, I don't  see a fat guy. 

• Upvote 1

The team is keeping him out to protect him at this point and I don't  mean from further injury. If he comes in and sucks, the outcry  will be deafening. Fant is doing yeoman's work filling in so there is no need to get Becton on the field. Shut him down the rest of the season and bring him back as the starterl next season. The decision will be what to do with Moses. I would say he is probably the odd man out. Fant is just more versatile.  

38 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

A starting offensive lineman taking himself out of games is not a starting olineman. Playing nicked up is part of the job. Ask Brick or any other successful player. Your LT tapping out is unheard of. 

Pure nonsense.  Would be for any position.  Hes played less than one season and youre carrying on like theres a long history here of him taking himself out for periods of time.

Brick being one of the least injured OL in history is a pointless comparison at this point of time.  You have no clue what Bectons future will look like, he could get Brick like lucky and not get injured ever again.  Happens.  

Youre LT tapping out is only unheard of if you dont actually watch football.  Happens all the time 

Head case, slow healer, not motivated…. Whatever to all that, it’s irrelevant. Simple, the situation is he’s just not as good as the guys who are currently starting. The worst situation is not that Becton gets reinjured, it’s that his piss poor blocking gets someone else injured.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

another brilliant post - yeah guys a “piss poor” blocker. - christ what is wrong with people?

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is what Becton looked like on July 3rd. He gets his knee rolled up by GVR and the narrative is that he's fat and out of shape. Apparently now we're adding in mental issues. Cool guys ??.

Yeah, it's amazing how him getting injured in a fashion that could happen to any OL in the league on any play has resulted in him being labeled a fat, lazy bust AND somehow erased his (very good) rookie season. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, everything you said is true and could you imagine if they pull one the two tackles to put Becton in and he gets hurt again? The play right now for the team is to keep him strengthening, rehabbing and I hope to God fitted for  those nifty knee braces the NCAA kids wear.

Let the old dudes play because honestly they have both earned it. If one of them gets dinged up you and Becton is  ready let him come in and  hopefully he plays well gets some of his confidence back in himself as well as the confidence of the  staff and team. Zach showed last game a small flicker of the light turning on in his head and throwing any variable at him that isn’t necessary is just plain stupid. It’s bad enough injuries are likely costing him Davis, Michael Carter and possibly Moore this week. No others distractions needed, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

Or,

You put Becton back at left tackle over Fant, he sucks, and Zach re injures his knee because a pass rusher crushed him because instead of Fant (who almost never gives up pressure) you put in Becton who hasn't played in 12 weeks.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is what Becton looked like on July 3rd. He gets his knee rolled up by GVR and the narrative is that he's fat and out of shape. Apparently now we're adding in mental issues. Cool guys ??.

On September 17th he was said to be out 4-8 weeks. It's now 12 weeks later and he isn't even able to practice. Sorry but how is that not an indictment on either his toughness, dedication to the game or overall ability to stay in shape?   

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

On September 17th he was said to be out 4-8 weeks. It's now 12 weeks later and he isn't even able to practice. Sorry but how is that not an indictment on either his toughness, dedication to the game or overall ability to stay in shape?   

It’s possible they downplayed his injury.  It’s also possible they’re not rushing to throw him back in there with the OL playing better and wilson looking better post injury than he did 6 weeks ago.  Also it’s safer to not have him reinjure himself if you want to trade him.

9 hours ago, JetNation said:

NY Jets Injury Report

Robert Saleh spoke to the media on Wednesday and gave injury updates for the NY Jets Roster.  An interesting exchange took place when Saleh was asked about Mekhi Becton returning. More on that below, first here is the injury update.

Elijah Moore is dealing with a quad, he’s day-to-day. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, he’s day-to-day. Tevin Coleman and Michael Carter II are in the concussion protocol. Trevon Wesco is day-to-day with an ankle. Ryan Griffin is day-to-day with an ankle. (Sheldon) is day-to-day with a knee. None of them are practicing today.

Keelan Cole is back off the COVID list and is practicing.

Mike White is still going through the return to play as it pertains to COVID. Kind of similar to (Denzel) Mims, because had two weeks, there’s a process that they have to go through to get him back. So, we’re working through that.

How serious is Elijah’s injury? Is that related to the injury he suffered in training camp?

We’ll know more as the week goes on. I’m still hopeful that he’ll be able to make it Sunday. No, it came on really late, so I didn’t have any detail on Monday. Didn’t really get a hold of it until really Tuesday.

Mekhi Becton Update

No update yet. It’s really the same. He hasn’t had a setback or anything, just everyone is different in terms of how they heal and all that stuff. So, hopefully we can get something going soon, but it’s all the same.

Was he supposed to be on the field, like field work?

He’s still doing field work.

Everyone is different and some people take a little longer, but this was originally a four-to-six recovery, then went four-to-eight. We’re now about a month past that eight-week timetable, is it alarming at all that he’s not…?

No, because his was different. You’re right, it was different in terms of, if you guys remember there was that talk of whether or not there was going to be surgery to shut it down, too. So, his was a little bit different than any other one. Always felt like it was going to be more, personally, just because the way it was spoken was different than (Conor) McDermott’s. So, I’m not at all surprised or discouraged. He’s going to heal, he’ll be back, and he’ll be fine.

Are you still think he’ll be back this season?

Hopefully, yeah, I’m still hopeful.

How do you balance that with only five games left? When does it become too late than it’s worth getting him out there on the field? 

No, I don’t think it’s ever too late. I think he’s got a desire to play for his teammates, play for his family and all that. So, whether it’s one game, two games, I don’t think it really matters to him, he just wants to get back on the field.

Where would he play if he came back?

I’ll speculate on that one later.

With Mekhi though, is there a point where you have to say like, “Okay, if he’s not back by here, we’re just going to shut it down?”

No, I’m not ready to even think about that one yet

NY Jets Injury Report

The post Saleh Thinks Becton Will Return; Won’t Speculate On His Position appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

If they pull Fant and stick Becton in to mess up the line just to make JD's draft pick significant, it will confirm that amateur hour is in full swing in the Jets front office.

Becton can perhaps play inside or better yet, used to get some trade value for the 2022 draft.  It was a bad pick.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s the narrative they prefer for him. The whole fat, lazy thing you see applied to certain players. 

• Upvote 1