Jump to content

Saleh Thinks Becton Will Return; Won’t Speculate On His Position


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

On September 17th he was said to be out 4-8 weeks. It's now 12 weeks later and he isn't even able to practice. Sorry but how is that not an indictment on either his toughness, dedication to the game or overall ability to stay in shape?   

How is this not you guessing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All interesting.

Don't agree with all the negative posts but there is (possibly) some truth to it.  We all know players whose only risk to success is "a knife and fork".  Becton falls in that category.  So the criticism is understandable.

Some athletes across pro sports have used their new found wealth to hire in consultants who take over a large part of their personal life controlling diet and exercise.  The "I'm going to remake my body" set.  Many succeed.  For some it just show.

Becton hasn't gone down that road.  There's nothing to say he can't make the necessary changes on his own.  It's probably harder going it alone.  But it sure leaves him open to criticism.

The studied lack of endorsement by Saleh is troubling.  He was more supportive at the beginning of the season.

This could all be a tempest in a teapot, but...  Saleh and JD are in a position to accept a hit by moving on from Becton.  This draft is rich in OT's specifically and OL's overall.  Jets could trade down with the Seattle pick and still get an excellent OT.  Drafting a good RT leaves the Jets in position to field a strong OL without Becton.  Fant starts at LT.

That puts the ball in Becton's court.  Want to play.  Beat out Fant, otherwise sit.  As Fant is quoted as saying, it's about the competition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, addage said:

All interesting.

Don't agree with all the negative posts but there is (possibly) some truth to it.  We all know players whose only risk to success is "a knife and fork".  Becton falls in that category.  So the criticism is understandable.

Some athletes across pro sports have used their new found wealth to hire in consultants who take over a large part of their personal life controlling diet and exercise.  The "I'm going to remake my body" set.  Many succeed.  For some it just show.

Becton hasn't gone down that road.  There's nothing to say he can't make the necessary changes on his own.  It's probably harder going it alone.  But it sure leaves him open to criticism.

The studied lack of endorsement by Saleh is troubling.  He was more supportive at the beginning of the season.

This could all be a tempest in a teapot, but...  Saleh and JD are in a position to accept a hit by moving on from Becton.  This draft is rich in OT's specifically and OL's overall.  Jets could trade down with the Seattle pick and still get an excellent OT.  Drafting a good RT leaves the Jets in position to field a strong OL without Becton.  Fant starts at LT.

That puts the ball in Becton's court.  Want to play.  Beat out Fant, otherwise sit.  As Fant is quoted as saying, it's about the competition.

He already remade his body once. He started out at Louisville the same way he started out here, a human false start penalty because he can't get the corner and tries to cheat out. It took him two years to get into the kind of shape where he could get by with sheer size blocking college rushers out of spread sets and then run a fast enough 40 to fool people into thinking it was translatable.

Think of the mechanics of having to get to the same spot with a kick and slide that the roid freak across from you is trying to get to by charging straight at it. Now imagine you're morbidly obese and rich. This is just not going to happen. You are better off hoping Wilson gets taller so they can stick Becton at guard.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There’s nowhere to put him right now. While Fant’s description of flipping sides was surely an exaggeration, flipping isn’t nothing. Hasn’t Becton been playing the same position for years? So suddenly playing RT, in his first return to the field after months, isn’t going to be seamless

He played RT extensively in college. 

Wirfs was the correct pick. JD f-ed up. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

He already remade his body once. He started out at Louisville the same way he started out here, a human false start penalty because he can't get the corner and tries to cheat out. It took him two years to get into the kind of shape where he could get by with sheer size blocking college rushers out of spread sets and then run a fast enough 40 to fool people into thinking it was translatable.

Think of the mechanics of having to get to the same spot with a kick and slide that the roid freak across from you is trying to get to by charging straight at it. Now imagine you're morbidly obese and rich. This is just not going to happen. You are better off hoping Wilson gets taller so they can stick Becton at guard.

Big Ticket is turning out to be much more like Big Raincheck. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


another brilliant post - yeah guys a “piss poor” blocker. - christ what is wrong with people?


Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app


His pass blocking has been suspect until his injury. There was a clear improvement the moment Fant moved over. Becton’s footwork and technique has been awful, which explains why Carl Lawson are his lunch all preseason. A struggling LT gets QB’s killed. Our OL is playing very well right now, I see no way that Becton deserves a starting role, certainly not at LT.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s possible they downplayed his injury.  It’s also possible they’re not rushing to throw him back in there with the OL playing better and wilson looking better post injury than he did 6 weeks ago.  Also it’s safer to not have him reinjure himself if you want to trade him.

It's 12 weeks after a 4-8 week injury window.  No one is talking about rushing him back. 

Wilson, who is far more valuable,  is playing despite dealing with an injury.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

He already remade his body once. He started out at Louisville the same way he started out here, a human false start penalty because he can't get the corner and tries to cheat out. It took him two years to get into the kind of shape where he could get by with sheer size blocking college rushers out of spread sets and then run a fast enough 40 to fool people into thinking it was translatable.

Think of the mechanics of having to get to the same spot with a kick and slide that the roid freak across from you is trying to get to by charging straight at it. Now imagine you're morbidly obese and rich. This is just not going to happen. You are better off hoping Wilson gets taller so they can stick Becton at guard.

Tall Larry Allen is the last hope. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, freestater said:

He played RT extensively in college. 

Wirfs was the correct pick. JD f-ed up. 

He tried to land a unicorn instead of making the percentage play. Even if Douglas didn't know we were going to be running a Shanahan offense, Wirfs was definitely a better fit for more potential schemes, Becton maybe a better fit for fewer.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

He already remade his body once. He started out at Louisville the same way he started out here, a human false start penalty because he can't get the corner and tries to cheat out. It took him two years to get into the kind of shape where he could get by with sheer size blocking college rushers out of spread sets and then run a fast enough 40 to fool people into thinking it was translatable.

Think of the mechanics of having to get to the same spot with a kick and slide that the roid freak across from you is trying to get to by charging straight at it. Now imagine you're morbidly obese and rich. This is just not going to happen. You are better off hoping Wilson gets taller so they can stick Becton at guard.

He had 5 false start penalties last year - the first one didn't happen until week 7. Started out a human false start penalty. Sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

 


His pass blocking has been suspect until his injury. There was a clear improvement the moment Fant moved over. Becton’s footwork and technique has been awful, which explains why Carl Lawson are his lunch all preseason. A struggling LT gets QB’s killed. Our OL is playing very well right now, I see no way that Becton deserves a starting role, certainly not at LT.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

His pass blocking was fine last year. Losing to a speed rusher in shorts is meaningless. The Jets pass protection didn't get together until several weeks into the season. A lot of that had to do with learning the new scheme. Becton played all of 48 snaps w1.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I still wonder if he’s ready to return but has been advised to act like he’s still recovering and not quite ready yet. 

There’s nowhere to put him right now. While Fant’s description of flipping sides was surely an exaggeration, flipping isn’t nothing. Hasn’t Becton been playing the same position for years? So suddenly playing RT, in his first return to the field after months, isn’t going to be seamless. 

The way things are right now a healthy Fant can’t be pulled (or even moved). Maybe you could argue Moses, but even with the occasional whiff, on balance this 30 yr old must-start veteran is having another above average season. He hasn’t earned a benching, and that won’t be a good look for Saleh to do so to give Becton his first live snaps at RT.

So where does Becton fit right now, where it immediately makes the OL better? Not by talent and upside - Becton has more than either starter - but I mean in production where the team is better off benching someone else right now? Even more difficult to rationalize benching either one with a rookie QB who’s still got some pocket presence issues of his own. 

They may as well pretend Becton’s still not ready to return from his injury, at least until one of the starting tackles gets injured himself. Seems that’s the best way to save face for both the player and the GM, because until something changes independent of Becton’s availability, neither starting tackle right now should be pulled. 

I bet he cant fit in his car right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He needs to figure out if he wants to play football. The Jets should have flagged this before the draft...but alas. Im not confident. Seems like a pampered headcase, which is like the polar opposite personality of a starting NFL tackle.

God damnit they don't make those knee caps like they use to!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Epic bust the only thing bigger is his weight

he will be heading into his third season next year of his 4 year contract(jets do have an option for a 5) 

Joe made a terrible mistake on Becton and on Mims just the plain truth based on actual play on the field and where they were drafted

if wilson busts out too(god i hope he does not) Joe will have made some historically bad draft picks

In fairness to Wilson he should have at least all of next year to prove himself and Joe will be here at least until the end of next year

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • At this point we have to conclude that Becton was not the right pick there and was a bad pick generally.
  • My theory is that he did really focus and prepare in all ways for the NFL draft so he could punch his Big Ticket.  That preparation carried him into the regular season, and he played decently.  But this off season he did not prepare as well, and he was not prepared to play football when he showed up in July.
  • I think the installation of a new training team probably hurt Becton here for lack of continuity.
  • If Becton wanted the Big Ticket, the next step was a LT second contract.  That should be taken away from him.  He should start working at RG/RT.  Extend Fant at LT and consider drafting one-that could be the BPA when the Jets pick.   Becton is actually stil worth the pick if he can man RT for the next 2-3 years.  Let's start with that and move forward, admitting the mistake if necessary. 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Head case, slow healer, not motivated…. Whatever to all that, it’s irrelevant. Simple, the situation is he’s just not as good as the guys who are currently starting. The worst situation is not that Becton gets reinjured, it’s that his piss poor blocking gets someone else injured.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Piss poor blocking? 

Your takes are ridiculous

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

It’s the narrative they prefer for him. The whole fat, lazy thing you see applied to certain players. 

Remember when it was reserved for Quinnen?  He was lazy and fat and we'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

He looked horrendous all camp, prior to the injury.

i don't think you can discount this despite what we saw last year.  he's clearly not a fit in the new offensive system (which we see can actually work at times) and it's not that much of a stretch that the jets just want him healed come january so they can start shopping him while he still has value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

 


His pass blocking has been suspect until his injury. There was a clear improvement the moment Fant moved over. Becton’s footwork and technique has been awful, which explains why Carl Lawson are his lunch all preseason. A struggling LT gets QB’s killed. Our OL is playing very well right now, I see no way that Becton deserves a starting role, certainly not at LT.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Yeah, he got who killed exactly?  

When did camp, in shorts, become the regular season?  

Teams kill for a LT like Becton.  Dumb fans complain about things like footwork and weight of OL.  Or imagine that Fant has played better than Becton did a year ago or in the opener

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Dude was considered one of the best players on the team last year as a rookie. Now he's supposedly a piss poor blocker after being injured. People are dumb.

 

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Yeah, it's amazing how him getting injured in a fashion that could happen to any OL in the league on any play has resulted in him being labeled a fat, lazy bust AND somehow erased his (very good) rookie season. 

The degree to which people are turning on the kid is baffling to me. I don't know if they're projecting the training camp stories of him struggling or whatnot but I'm still very high on him.

Injuries are concerning though.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

When Becton is in the Iverson stratosphere, he can loaf in practice.  Until then, he's a guy with questionable conditioning who had a good, but also wildly overrated rookie campaign, and I'm going to assume his camp performance was relevant.  Especially when he is in week 11 of a 4-8 week injury.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, freestater said:

He played RT extensively in college. 

Wirfs was the correct pick. JD f-ed up. 

Well that’s something at least. Fant flipped far more recently and made a thing about it, but at least he’s played that way before. I’d expect some short term growing pain anyway after a longer interval since the last live action, even at LT, which is why I was saying I don’t see where he’d go right now  

On picking him over Wirfs, I don’t think many are still happy about it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, he got who killed exactly?  

When did camp, in shorts, become the regular season?  

Teams kill for a LT like Becton.  Dumb fans complain about things like footwork and weight of OL.  Or imagine that Fant has played better than Becton did a year ago or in the opener

fant is playing next to avt.  becton played next to lewis.  avt has to have helped.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...