Saleh Thinks Becton Will Return; Won’t Speculate On His Position

JetNation

If u listened to Salehs press conference today, he mention that george fant has been fantastic.  He then talked about how hes played, guard, RT and now has really never had a home at a certain position until now.

If u read btwn what Saleh is telling you, its that hes the LT movie forward.  Becton will be moved to RT this offseason.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well that’s something at least. Fant flipped far more recently and made a thing about it, but at least he’s played that way before. I’d expect some short term growing pain anyway after a longer interval since the last live action, even at LT, which is why I was saying I don’t see where he’d go right now  

On picking him over Wirfs, I don’t think many are still happy about it. 

When people imagine Wirfs here, do they imagine him playing LT in an Adam Gase offense protecting Sam Darnold? Do they think his injury would look super cool when GVR rolled up his knee? Would he even have been facing Carl Lawson in training camp?

I'm guessing they just imagine RT protecting HOF QB who gets rid of the ball on time every play Wirfs instead. 

Wirfs has objectively been the better player. He is also playing a different position in a different situation. The comparison is usually lacking context and depth. Would he have performed better than Becton here? I don't think the answer is as straight forward as people make it seem.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If u listened to Salehs press conference today, he mention that george fant has been fantastic.  He then talked about how hes played, guard, RT and now has really never had a home at a certain position until now.

If u read btwn what Saleh is telling you, its that hes the LT movie forward.  Becton will be moved to RT this offseason.

Becton has played a grand total 15 games in 2 years. He has no "hold"/"right" to the LT job, so if Fant is doing a good job, then he deserves to stay at LT. Becton can work himself back into shape and re-take the job at some point but I have no problem moving Becton to RT or even RG depending on where the team needs him heading into next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

When people imagine Wirfs here, do they imagine him playing LT in an Adam Gase offense protecting Sam Darnold? Do they think his injury would look super cool when GVR rolled up his knee? Would he even have been facing Carl Lawson in training camp?

I'm guessing they just imagine RT protecting HOF QB who gets rid of the ball on time every play Wirfs instead. 

Wirfs has objectively been the better player. He is also playing a different position in a different situation. The comparison is usually lacking context and depth. Would he have performed better than Becton here? I don't think the answer is as straight forward as people make it seem.

Oh I totally agree it's not an even comparison (when each is on the field). Playing LT for a QB who holds the ball isn't remotely the same as playing RT for a QB who gets the ball out in 2 seconds. Also he didn't have any enormous humans roll over his ankle while he was putting his weight on it.

But even with that, I still come back to the first sentence of your last paragraph.