Zach Wilson Wins Pepsi Rookie of the Week: MERGED

9 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Shocked that EY would argue about Zach Wilson winning a silly award rather than not winning it. 

Shocked I tell you. 

The goalposts keep moving…

This feels like the right time to bring out the @jgb classic, “you’re entitled to your opinion, but you’re not entitled to mine.”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

This feels like the right time to bring out the @jgb classic, “you’re entitled to your opinion, but you’re not entitled to mine.”

It's nice to get validation once in awhile that I'm not just screaming into the void. Thanks, doc!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Classic EY can never let a good narrative die. 

Well done, what next, the Jets massive social media following stuffed the ballot box for Zach? Oh, already did that one.  

Lets just say, as a Jet I'd prefer he win these worthless awards rather than not win them.

But you keep arguing.  You’re entitled to your opinion. Doesn’t change mine.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I still can't believe he won an award for last week's performance. I thought it was a joke at first.

That's because you probably spend too much time on this site.

He was very good last week, but there are people so engrained in their pre-draft dislike for him, they can't see it even when he plays well.  

And they are so vocal about and really convinced of it - it's hard to see through.

He played very well Sunday (not perfect) and is showing massive improvement from his earlier games.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

36 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I still can't believe he won an award for last week's performance. I thought it was a joke at first.

I wonder if your exasperation is the result of having warped expectations of rookies? 

The reality is that most rookie QBs struggle to varying degrees, regardless of career outcomes. Guys like Justin Herbert, Kyler Murray, Andrew Luck, Baker Mayfield, RG III, Russell Wilson, and Dan Marino are the exception, not the rule. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

but there are people so engrained in their pre-draft dislike for him, they can't see it even when he plays well.  

And they are so vocal about and really convinced of it - it's hard to see through.

They are the modern day ACM--the Anti-Chad Militia.

Now they are the AZM. 

And by God, they are not going to let you forget it.  Ad nauseum. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Classic EY can never let a good narrative die. 

Well done, what next, the Jets massive social media following stuffed the ballot box for Zach? Oh, already did that one.  

Lets just say, as a Jet I'd prefer he win these worthless awards rather than not win them.

But you keep arguing.  You’re entitled to your opinion. Doesn’t change mine.

You're pushing with an argument with someone who's first response to you in this thread was that they agreed with you... So, I wouldn't go around talking about other people's narratives.

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

You're pushing with an argument with someone who's first response to you in this thread was that they agreed with you... So, I wouldn't go around talking about other people's narratives.

Your Sanchez take seemd a bit more facetious rather than agreement, given your other takes in this thread.  

I never once said he deserved any award, that he played lights out, that he was fantastic.  None of that.  

All I said was if SOMEONE is going to win the award, I'd prefer it be a Jet, specifically Zach, rather than him not win the award.

And it he strings together a few more, that wouldn't suck either.

Would you agree with that? 

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Your Sanchez take seemd a bit more facetious rather than agreement, given your other takes in this thread.  

I never once said he deserved any award, that he played lights out, that he was fantastic.  None of that.  

All I said was if SOMEONE is going to win the award, I'd prefer it be a Jet, specifically Zach, rather than him not win the award.

And it he strings together a few more, that wouldn't suck either.

Would you agree with that? 

I would like him to play well.  If that earns him awards great.  But, I'm keeping the horse ahead of the cart.

In my view, he did not have a game deserving of an award.  I'm not sure getting one, under those circumstances is a good thing.  I'm not sure it's a terribly bad thing either, but I return to sentence 1: I would like him to play well.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I would like him to play well.  If that earns him awards great.  But, I'm keeping the horse ahead of the cart.

In my view, he did not have a game deserving of an award.  I'm not sure getting one, under those circumstances is a good thing.  I'm not sure it's a terribly bad thing either, but I return to sentence 1: I would like him to play well.

I will allow this.  

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I wonder if your exasperation is the result of having warped expectations of rookies? 

The reality is that most rookie QBs struggle to varying degrees, regardless of career outcomes. Guys like Justin Herbert, Kyler Murray, Andrew Luck, Baker Mayfield, RG III, Russell Wilson, and Dan Marino are the exception, not the rule. 

And even guys like that..

Luck threw 18int's his rookie year with a 54% completion %

RGIII basically ran his rookie year

Russell Wilson averaged less than 200 yards per game.

Every situation is different - as you stated, successful rookie years is by far the exception to the norm and even when you look at them - they're often not exactly as good as advertised. 

No one's saying Zach has been good this year - but he's shown what he's capable of and has continued to get better.

18 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I had that album in college. Listened to it a 1000 times.  

I thought the line was "He just smiled and gave me a bite of his sandwich". Didn't understand he said "vegemite" until about 2 years ago.

I won my copy playing coke & pepsi at a friend's confirmation reception.

And before you ask: no, it was not in 2018. 

I’ve never been big on weekly or Evelyn monthly awards BUT I was pretty happy from what I saw from Wilson.  Besides the one bad pick I thought he showed good progress.  Look I get it there are a group out there that want him to be a franchise QB right away but realistically it’s going to take some time.  Elijah Moore got off to a slow start but now he looks as good as advertised probably better.  I have hope the same thing will be true for Wilson 

• Upvote 1

I didn't think he was the best rookie on the field last week in the NFL. The Jets offense didn't do enough to stay with Philly last Sunday as a matter of fact they were shut out in the 2nd half. But if he can start taking what a defense gives him and plays the short game better and there are indications of it with his arm the Jets could set up big plays he can complete those kinds of passes. 

Basically Zach has the talent to become what Jets fans have been yearning for years from their starting Qb. A smart Qb who can take what a defense gives him but make big plays including long passing plays. It doesn't mean he's going to be that kind of a player, a true franchise Qb not just an OK starter or game manager. There aren't too many of them. But he shows that kind of ability. Not sure if the other Qbs in his class have this kind of a ceiling. We'll see. 

On 12/9/2021 at 10:02 PM, x1dal said:

Three first half TDs , 3 snaps in the third Q, 100+ yards passing in 4th Q. Countless drops. Wilson played spectacularly last week. Yes he had a pick, Brady throws one of those every other week. 

Producing 18 points of offense (21 with a competent kicker) counts for "spectacular" now. 

Ah, Nico.  This post didn't age well today.  Good night, sweet prince.  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

To be fair he was pretty good last week aside from that garbage half of the game.

No he was average.  I guess if you’re talking in relative terms since he is a rookie then you can say he was good.

The stats say it was mediocre QB play from Zach last week.   Middle of the pack.  

• Upvote 1