Jump to content

..which OL will the jets bring back in 2022 ?


rox
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Jets' offensive line has exceeded expectations in 2021, especially given that they've been without Mekhi Becton for essentially the entirety of the season. But while the unit has performed rather well this year, it's unclear what the future holds.

In reality, only two of the five starting spots are set in stone for 2022. Becton will return as a starter while Alijah Vera-Tucker will likely start alongside him at left guard. The remaining three spots could theoretically see some turnover.Center Connor McGovern has played better than most Jets fans will give him credit for in 2021, but the Jets could technically save nearly $9 million by cutting him in the offseason if they wanted to.The same is true for George Fant who has put together the best season of his career starting in place of Becton at left tackle. But again, with Becton returning, the Jets could save $9.65 million by cutting ties with him. It remains a possibility.

There's also Morgan Moses who has performed admirably at right tackle all year. Moses is set to be a free agent but has proven to be a reliable stop-gap and could be brought back in 2022.Right guard remains a question mark too. It's unlikely that Greg Van Roten is back next season, at least not as a starter. The Jet could cut him and save $3.5 million with $0 in dead cap. But what about Laurent Duvernay-Tardif ?  The likes of McGovern, Fant, Moses, and Duvernay-Tardif will each look to make their case to return as starters in 2022. The Jets won't replace all of them, but it's highly unlikely that all four are with the team next season, at least certainly not as starters.

 - -   https://thejetpress.com/posts/4-biggest-questions-ny-jets-roster-2022#slideshow-top-bar-_uplp58ndh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly it would not surprise me if they traded becton. There were reports that he was lazy which they did not tolerate with Herndon. I could see them moving him if the value is right and if he doesn't get it togeather by the end of the season. Avt I think is honestly the only lock to be back next year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the key to having a great oline is to have player consistency.  they should try to have the same players as long as there aren't any obvious ones that can't do the job or are on the decline.  imo becton and avt are pretty much locks.  mcgovern and fant are probable, duverney is a maybe, i think moses goes elsewhere.  cvr is out and i am guessing feeney will be close behind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, docdhc said:

They have a ton of cap space. Why cut McGovern and Fant to save 18 mill that they’d have to spend on someone else?  Unless they sign an all pro free agent OL I hope they keep those 2. 

They won't / shouldn't. Just speculation in order to fill out an article IMHO.

Only guys I see not being here next year are Moses, GVR and Feeney. Moses may move on due to numbers at tackle.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think JD outsmarts himself and let’s Moses go, keeps the others and tries to draft or scrounge for RG and depth.  Clark is also coming back.  Feeney, GVR and Edoga should not be on the roster.  
 

Becton should play RT in 2022.  Let’s try that. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Listening to Green Beans latest, Im also excited to build on the depth of the OLINE with our current practice squad players like Isaih Williams and Ross Pierschbacher.

 

- Williams knows what the Jets are looking for out of their offensive linemen. The 28-year-old appeared in two games for the 49ers last season, playing in John Benton’s zone-blocking scheme. Benton and Matt LaFleur’s familiarity with Williams likely led New York to take a late offseason flier on the interior offensive lineman.

 

- Pierschbacher was a four-year starter at Alabama and during that time won a pair of National Championships. Although the most intriguing part isn’t the hardware, it is absolutely the versatility. During the 2017 campaign, the talented ex-Alabama star shifted to the left side at guard. Then as a senior, he jumped to the center spot and absolute dominated earning second-team conference and All-American honors.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the key to having a great oline is to have player consistency.  they should try to have the same players as long as there aren't any obvious ones that can't do the job or are on the decline.  imo becton and avt are pretty much locks.  mcgovern and fant are probable, duverney is a maybe, i think moses goes elsewhere.  cvr is out and i am guessing feeney will be close behind.

I think Fant and McGovern are nearly the locks that Becton and ATV are. LDT and Moses are 30, which isn’t terribly old for an OL, but I don’t think I see both of them getting resigned. Neither will have a huge market, either. I could see JD trying to upgrade that RG spot before going back to LDT. The line has gotten better over the course of the season, I really don’t expect them to **** with it too much. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I think Fant and McGovern are nearly the locks that Becton and ATV are. LDT and Moses are 30, which isn’t terribly old for an OL, but I don’t think I see both of them getting resigned. Neither will have a huge market, either. I could see JD trying to upgrade that RG spot before going back to LDT. The line has gotten better over the course of the season, I really don’t expect them to **** with it too much. 

this ^^    possibly just some  "fine-tuning" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, slats said:

I think Fant and McGovern are nearly the locks that Becton and ATV are. LDT and Moses are 30, which isn’t terribly old for an OL, but I don’t think I see both of them getting resigned. Neither will have a huge market, either. I could see JD trying to upgrade that RG spot before going back to LDT. The line has gotten better over the course of the season, I really don’t expect them to **** with it too much. 

I think LDT can be in the mix to compete for the RG spot, but is in no way handed the spot. If he signs a contract that reflects this then great, but if he is looking for starter money I think you let him "test the market", as they say. ;-)

There'll be other players brought in to compete, likely a couple of backup types in FA and I'm sure there'll be a draft pick, plus the PS guys etc. Best man wins, second best is the backup and so on.

Moses I see going elsewhere and we draft someone and / or bring in a FA as depth at tackle. The watch out here is that we can't only have a "developmental prospect" as depth, you need a guy who you can feel OK about starting at RT in case of injury to either Becton or Fant.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

keep it as is except Moses who leaves and Becton moves over.  its not broken dont try to change it.

resign LDT. 

remember how it took a few games for our OL to get use to each other. we dont want that again. we will have to deal with Becton learning a new spot (RT) lets not go crazy with anything else.

it would be a great help to Zach playing with the same guys and not having a few new ones to learn to play with. you can always draft depth later in the 4th rd

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Jets O-Line is in good shape. The biggest question mark is Becton.

They have Becton-AVT-McGovern-LDT-Fant when everyone is healthy.

McGovern and Fant have turned into reliable starters. The Jets will probably look to upgrade at RG. Maybe they pay a FA like Scherff, or maybe they draft a player like Linderbaum and slide McGovern over to guard.

The question they have to answer is about Becton. When healthy, he can play. But durability is a big concern. Jets are going to have to either re-sign Morgan Moses as insurance or look to the draft as insurance.

They could also try moving AVT out to right tackle and Fant to LT in the case Becton is out. It's easier to find quality backup interior lineman than it is to find tackles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I would LIKE the Jets to do:

-Cut ties with Feeney, GVR and Alex Lewis. If they let other low end backups go too, I'm fine with that. But its time to find another starter at RG. 

-Restructure Fant to extend his contract and lessen his salary cap hit. He's a keeper. 

-Let Moses walk. His play this year, at his age, simply does not justify a new contract. 

-Draft a top O-lineman. Now this all depends on how the draft plays out. Do I want the Jets to pass on a top Pass Rusher like Hutchinson or even Thibodeaux if he slides? do I want the Jets to pass on Stingley, who looks like a legit shut down CB the likes of which we haven't had since Revis? Certainly not. But the Jets will most likely have 2 picks in the top 10 and Evan Neal and Ekwonu will most certainly be there. Maybe there's too much value in the very top of the draft at other positions and we target a top tier G later on in Rd. 2 or via trade-up. I just want the Jets to keep building the O-line with young blue-chip prospects. 

The foundation of this O-line is Becton and AVT. That's about it. People talk about Becton being 'lazy' and the Jets potentially trading him because he gets hurt all the time. This is nonsense. He isn't going anywhere- in the next couple of years at least. It would not surprise me one bit if the Jets kept Fant and still drafted Neal because of his immense upside. I also would not be surprised if the Jets drafted Linderbaum by trading up (assuming he slides to the bottom of Rd 1) even while keeping McGovern. Kenyon Green might also be in the conversation of late first round trade up targets. It really depends on how the draft falls. 

For next year I'm looking at the following starters:

Becton, AVT, McGovern, Rookie/Duvernay, Fant 

OR

Becton, AVT, McGovern, Duvernay, Fant/Rookie

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, PepPep said:

What I would LIKE the Jets to do:

-Cut ties with Feeney, GVR and Alex Lewis. If they let other low end backups go too, I'm fine with that. But its time to find another starter at RG. 

-Restructure Fant to extend his contract and lessen his salary cap hit. He's a keeper. 

-Let Moses walk. His play this year, at his age, simply does not justify a new contract. 

-Draft a top O-lineman. Now this all depends on how the draft plays out. Do I want the Jets to pass on a top Pass Rusher like Hutchinson or even Thibodeaux if he slides? do I want the Jets to pass on Stingley, who looks like a legit shut down CB the likes of which we haven't had since Revis? Certainly not. But the Jets will most likely have 2 picks in the top 10 and Evan Neal and Ekwonu will most certainly be there. Maybe there's too much value in the very top of the draft at other positions and we target a top tier G later on in Rd. 2 or via trade-up. I just want the Jets to keep building the O-line with young blue-chip prospects. 

The foundation of this O-line is Becton and AVT. That's about it. People talk about Becton being 'lazy' and the Jets potentially trading him because he gets hurt all the time. This is nonsense. He isn't going anywhere- in the next couple of years at least. It would not surprise me one bit if the Jets kept Fant and still drafted Neal because of his immense upside. I also would not be surprised if the Jets drafted Linderbaum by trading up (assuming he slides to the bottom of Rd 1) even while keeping McGovern. Kenyon Green might also be in the conversation of late first round trade up targets. It really depends on how the draft falls. 

For next year I'm looking at the following starters:

Becton, AVT, McGovern, Rookie/Duvernay, Fant 

OR

Becton, AVT, McGovern, Duvernay, Fant/Rookie

 

I was just about type up something extremely close to this.  
 

I’d like to see a high draft pick on an interior lineman and if there is a good potential tackle in the mid rounds, do it.  
 

This team had 0 depth to fix the horrendous GVR start.   You should have 7 playable OLine.  
 

Green from A&M is amazing.  They say G but he looks like he could play up and down the line.   I would take him early. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

After LT, Center is the most pivotal position on the line. McGovern was good in Denver b4 he came here, sucked last year but now he's back to being OK. But if JD thinks he can upgrade? He'd do it in a heartbeat.

McGovern has settled in and now blends in with other centers. Upgrading center is not a priority at the moment, but it's been too long since we have had a top center like Mangold. I have forgotten what it's like not to think about the center. You only talk about the center when they are bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doitny said:

keep it as is except Moses who leaves and Becton moves over.  its not broken dont try to change it.

resign LDT. 

remember how it took a few games for our OL to get use to each other. we dont want that again. we will have to deal with Becton learning a new spot (RT) lets not go crazy with anything else.

it would be a great help to Zach playing with the same guys and not having a few new ones to learn to play with. you can always draft depth later in the 4th rd

 

Becton played enough RT in college for it not to be a problem. His health is the bigger question. I have no doubt that Becton can play at a high level at RT.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Jets go in one of two directions to give them a little flexibility. In both of them Becton-AVT-McGovern-Fant get brought back. There’s also a pretty vanilla third scenario and fourth heavy draft capital scenario fans would love or hate that’s starting to feel unlikely.

One is bringing in a free agent like James Daniels - who’s been playing guard for the Bears but played some center as well and was a center at Iowa. Daniels is 24, improving, and a great zone scheme fit. These are the kinds of guys Douglas likes to sign to three years deals and if they’re amenable it’s a win-win as after three good years they hit FA again in their 20’s with a shot for another good deal.

Daniels would be great because he can plug in at RG and either stick there or potentially be a built in center replacement for McGovern - the positional versatility is also classic Douglas. If they sign him they can bring in a tackle in the second or third round to play the swing tackle role Moses has played which is a pretty key role with how often Becton has missed time - and develop that guy to take over for Fant after he expires after next season or potentially Becton if he doesn’t start to show consistency. Bernhard Raimann would be a great fit for that. They’d also probably draft an interior OL in the fourth or fifth round to take over the spot that’ll be vacated by McGovern the following season - Daniels’ positional versatility leaves some flexibility there.

The first higher draft capital scenario is basically bringing in a replacement level guard in FA and drafting either Evan Neal or Ikem Ekwonu with one of the first two picks. Neal and Ekwonu both have tackle and guard experience in college and so they could fill the RG hole this season and then take over for Fant the following year and potentially Becton down the road. That scenario gives a higher end potential Becton replacement and I think really makes more sense if they’re seriously concerned about his future. Then they’d draft a guard and/or a center day three with C and RG likely opening up the following offseason. It’s a potential way to add talent if they like those guys and does offer flexibility but the shuffling around seems like it wouldn’t be super beneficial.

The boring scenario is a twist on the first where they bring in a guard - Scherff, Laken Tomlinson - with zone experience and then do the day two tackle day three center thing. Daniels to me feels like more of a Douglas move but this is certainly viable and clean.

Fourth would be a twist on the second but instead of Neal/Ekwonu they’d draft Tyler Linderbaum and kick McGovern to guard. Linderbaum is probably one of the most sure things in this class but they’d likely be following with a tackle day two as well for the Moses role and that does seem like a pretty hefty investment.

Obviously after I laid out this long post they’ll do none of these things but at least I had fun writing it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2021 at 12:10 PM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

McGovern has settled in and now blends in with other centers. Upgrading center is not a priority at the moment, but it's been too long since we have had a top center like Mangold. I have forgotten what it's like not to think about the center. You only talk about the center when they are bad. 

I agree....but know JD came from that area of football, if a top young C falls to us in the draft, this is one position he won't be able to bring himself to skip over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...