Mike Tomlin

There have been some "is (or should) Mike Tomlin be on the hot seat in Pittsburgh?" rumors lately.  Of course, there have been similar rumors in recent years too and it obviously hasn't happened (and probably won't).  For the sake of argument, though, let's say the Steelers were foolish enough to fire him after this season.  And let's also assume that Tomlin would agree to come here.  Do you think JD would even consider firing Saleh after 1 year?

I'd definitely want that to happen but I don't think JD would do it.

• Thumb Down 5
  • Haha 1

I can't see Woody wanting to pay for two head coaches all over again, Douglas actively pursuing another head coach a year after hiring Saleh, or Tomlin wanting to come here. This is a hypo where Tomlin pitches himself to the Jets to get Douglas interested. I'm not sure there is a blood pact between Douglas and Saleh that would keep him here under this highly unlikely scenario. This is so far out of the realm of possibility that I'm not sure what we get out of guessing what Douglas might think. 

• Sympathy 1

No Way What GIF by Paramount Network

Did you hear what he said when the rumors about USC?  "I got one of the best jobs in all of professional sports". 

To quote the man himself on the chances, if fired, he would go to the Jets, "never say never...but never".

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm fine keeping Saleh, but while he was a good DC, there is no indication he is one of the best young HCs in the NFL. He's made plenty of really bad mistakes and his teams have gotten walked all over. His only salvation is that Lafleur has resurrected this offense. 

With that said, Tomlin was gifted a HOF QB his entire career. Not sure there is any proof that he could win without one.  

Tomlin never had a losing season, went 8-8 without Ben, with mason rudolph who is one of the literal worst QBs in the entire NFL. 

Tomlin is one of the most underrated coaches IMO

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Robert Saleh is one of the best, young coaches in the nfl.

I'm a Saleh fan but we simply can't say this yet.  I'm still hopeful and he deserves more time, certainly if Gase got TWO years as a repeat head coach.  Is Saleh a rookie HC that needs to figure out his way like Pete Carroll with the Jets, like Belichick with the Browns?  We don't know.

Joe Douglas and Woody Johnson would have 0 interest in Tomlin.

False

All jet fans want are quick fixes.  Its really insane.

True, most Jets fans are very impatient.

We have a plan for long term success that is going to take some time.

We have a plan.  Unknown as to whether it will result in long term success but I certainly prefer the draft/develop approach to the sign/buy free agent approach.

Open your eyes, see the brilliance in what Joe and Robert are doing and enjoy the fact that we are going to be one of the best franchises in the nfl for years to come starting in 2023.

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

• Haha 2

I think this would be a disaster. Not because I don’t like Tomlin or because I love Saleh, but because this would be three years in a row that JD has to acquire players for a different coach. It’s highly unlikely the team would be successful with this kind of instability. On top of that, I’m sure the Johnsons are sick of paying two HC salaries for so many years in a row.  I would very much like Tomlin as coach of the Jets, but last year was the time to do that. Unfortunately that ship has sailed.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2021 at 5:24 PM, the Claw said:

I think this would be a disaster. Not because I don’t like Tomlin or because I love Saleh, but because this would be three years in a row that JD has to acquire players for a different coach. It’s highly unlikely the team would be successful with this kind of instability. On top of that, I’m sure the Johnsons are sick of paying two HC salaries for so many years in a row.  I would very much like Tomlin as coach of the Jets, but last year was the time to do that. Unfortunately that ship has sailed.

If Douglas was truly acquiring players for Adam Gase entering last season then he’s truly even dumber than I thought.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:34 AM, Barton said:

Tomlin is ehh. If you notice, his team always shoots themselves in the foot. 

totally not true.

Perceptions like this are born out of holding outliers like B.B. as some sort of realistic measure of success. Tomlin has been wildly successful during his HC'ing career. Superbowl Wins is not the KPI

If Tomlin were to be interested, I'd send Saleh packing in a heartbeat for him.

With that said, if Saleh is going, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that Douglas should hang around for even another second, considering he has been more incompetent for longer.  You find a new GM who meshes well with Tomlin as part of the deal.

• Upvote 1

I hope Saleh can learn from this year.  

Not be married to a defensive system that has obvious warts.  I want him to be flexible with his assistants and possibly make difficult changes when necessary. 

Be the CEO he's striving to be.  

Year three might result in a new DC if the defense doesn't make some improvements. 

The Steelers never fire their HC, but If they did decide to mutually part ways, the organization who would actually be the perfect fit for him is the NY Giants.
Tomlin could have a say in both the new GM hire and the QB. The Rooney and the Mara families are mirror images, both old school, actually linked in marriage, and both own historic franchises.

Dark horse team would be the Bears. Another well respected, historic franchise with a young QB.

No way is he leaving the Steelers for the Jets, lol

25 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I hope Saleh can learn from this year.  

Not be married to a defensive system that has obvious warts.  I want him to be flexible with his assistants and possibly make difficult changes when necessary. 

Be the CEO he's striving to be.  

Year three might result in a new DC if the defense doesn't make some improvements. 

I hope Saleh doesn't wait that long

If Ulbrich is still struggling in the middle of next season, it's clear he won't improve

On 12/10/2021 at 12:07 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

You think it's completely out of the question that the Steelers move on from Tomlin?

yes it is.

but Tomlin might want to leave them, but only for his dream job. 

he was born in Virgina and was drafted by the Baltimore Colts, his hometown team. if he wanted to go anywhere it would be for the Colts or back home to Baltimore. 

On 12/10/2021 at 12:03 PM, kevinc855 said:

Tomlin is a proven commodity. 

Saleh is an unknown.

But judging by the way JD does FA and drafts.....we like to gamble here. So we will stay with the unknown. Because god for ******* bid we had to pay someone you know? 

There are more than a few teams that would uprdade what they think they have at HC with what they think Tomlin would add.  Theyre not during their HC either.  And few have first year HCs

This board was filled to the gills with posters who shlt themselves when CJ let Saleh go home to think over the Jets offer.  Shlt themselves because they thought we lost Saleh to Detroit or wherever he was going to sign

Now not only do so many of the clueless want to fire Saleh partly through his first season, they blame the same Johnson family for hiring him.

Jets fans at their best

• Haha 1