Mike Tomlin

Just now, bostonmajet said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Tomlin was handed a winning football team with a winning QB. He has just watched the team get worse and Ben get older. Not sure he is the guy to take a young poor team and coach them and a rookie QB up. IMO.

He was handed a quarterback and great team 14 years ago.  

Helped rebuild the team twice in that time around the quarterback, but now he must find another one.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2021 at 11:16 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

There have been some "is (or should) Mike Tomlin be on the hot seat in Pittsburgh?" rumors lately.  Of course, there have been similar rumors in recent years too and it obviously hasn't happened (and probably won't).  For the sake of argument, though, let's say the Steelers were foolish enough to fire him after this season.  And let's also assume that Tomlin would agree to come here.  Do you think JD would even consider firing Saleh after 1 year?

I'd definitely want that to happen but I don't think JD would do it.

There are a lot of hypotheticals in that scenario, but just playing along... 

New coach = new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive system.

We have seen numerous young QBs struggle when changing out the offensive systems after their first season. They need some stability in the first couple of years to get comfortable. This no doubt puts Wilson back a bit (and he may already be behind according to some people), so looking at delaying the offensive growth by 0.5 to maybe even a full season.

Depending on what happens with the DC they'll want to bring in (if Tomlin comes in, Ulbrich is gone), they may need to retool the defence. The timing here is great as my belief is that this is already part of the plan this off season. With a few high draft picks, Tomlin and his DC would be able to hit the ground running, though most likely there would be a LOT of young players coming in.

Tomlin may also be able to bring in some players from Pitts as well, getting some vets on the team that already know the system.

I won't speak to the improvements on coaching as I don't know that any coach would be able to show success with this roster at the moment. That being said, Tomlin has been around for a while, and comes in with a track record. Is that because he had a good QB? Or is that superior coaching? Hard to say...

Overall, feels like Tomlin may help accelerate the Jets looking competitive at most parts, but maybe not QB.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:16 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

There have been some "is (or should) Mike Tomlin be on the hot seat in Pittsburgh?" rumors lately.  Of course, there have been similar rumors in recent years too and it obviously hasn't happened (and probably won't).  For the sake of argument, though, let's say the Steelers were foolish enough to fire him after this season.  And let's also assume that Tomlin would agree to come here.  Do you think JD would even consider firing Saleh after 1 year?

I'd definitely want that to happen but I don't think JD would do it.

I think if the Jets pulled the plug on Salleh, Tomlinson would “Thanks but no thanks”. 

• Upvote 1