why was Gregg Williams so much better with essentially the same guys?

freestater

Because Greg Williams scheme was more flexible. More blitzing. This scheme requires the right kind of players. We do not have the talent on D to run this scheme. Injuries have plagued this D. I we haven’t put any resources into rebuilding it. The last couple years we focused on rebuilding the offense. Plus hate to say it but Adams was actually good back in 2019. Also we lost and traded away key players like Steve Mclendon who was a good NT.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'd have to imagine 2 major reasons:

1) not having the horses to run the defense after using 2 offseasons of assets on offense (rightfully so)

2) reluctance to change the scheme when key players went down, Lawson, Joyner, Curry, and Huff. They decided learning the scheme is more important for the young players than muddying up assignments to field a more complete defense

Just my .02

19 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Oh look, another “why aren't we winning right now” thread. 

The plan is to evaluate rookie players this year and next and get ready to be a good team starting on 2023.  Accept it and stop with these terrible threads being opened just to whine more.

I think the op brings up a good point and a very valid question.