38 Years Ago Today...Jets Last Game at Shea

Lith

"I again renew my offer to sit down and negotiate a refurbishing of Shea Stadium to make it into a first-class stadium suitable for the joint use of both baseball and football teams or, alternatively, to support his efforts to put together his efforts to put together a consortium to build a private stadium for his exclusive use. Leon, your efforts to conceal your true intentions remind me of a trick play and won't work. We hope Mr. Hess reconsiders and sits down and works with us to resolve this matter. Pending that action, we shall continue to seek another team."

Exactly what I have been saying for decades.  Hess knew he was going to GIANTS STADIUM and had no real desire to work toward refurbishing Shea.

As I said in an earlier post on JN,  Hess also had the resources and ability to borrow the money for a new stadium, with or without a group of investors.  But that was never going to happen because Hess was a shill, and a man without vision.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Todd throwing a pick late in the 4th qtr to BillSimpson was a great job. 4 picks to AJ Duhe was a great job? Todd was merely Sanchez before his time.
Walton was a backstabbing nose picking ex Giant who sucked as both an OC and HC.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Statistically 1981 & 82 were his best seasons. True he was awful against the Dolphins in the Mud Bowl and that was a bad intereception against the Bills. I believe Scott Dirking was open in the end zone and somehow he didn't see the LB that picked off the pass. Terrible!

22 hours ago, jgjet said:

Was there. Funniest thing was after everyone left, a station wagon went through the parking lot with one of the uprights and the flag was hanging off it so I guess it was sought of legal to drive like that. Crazy day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish smart phones and the internet were available  back then.  That would be great to see a photo online or a video on youtube or tic-tock

54 minutes ago, sciond said:

I was not at this game but Shea was damn miserable and cold in that upper deck to watch a football game in December....

worse IMHO than the old Meadowlands...

The last game, snuck in by handing the tickettaker a $10 bill. Had a seat back but a security guy took it from me on the way out. Friend of mine got one and engraved it.  And being a stupid metalhead teen, didn't wear any hat nor gloves, and had on a  denim jacket and a hoodie. The Jets/Saints game at Shea the week after John Lennon was murdered was as cold as I have ever been. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1