What do we think “The Plan” is?

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Someone else gets it.

Its plain as day.  We are heading in the right direction and we have the right people here.  Super exciting time to be a Jets fan.

2023 the winning begins.  Get ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jessica-jones-ep4-34-31.gif?w=300

some will wait as Lomg as they can

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We will be much more competitive and win 6-8 games.  For a young team in year 2 of a ground up rebuild, that is a step in the right direction and a huge success.  That is positive my friend.

There is no universe where being preemptively ok with a losing season a year and half in advance is "being positive".

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Saleh is always extremely confident when talking about the plan they have in place. Normally I think it’s all fluff and they know nothing but the more he speaks on it and seeing this tweet from today:

He’s seems so overly confident in what’s going to happen that I can’t ignore it. “The EXACT direction” “CRYSTAL clear”.  
What do we think the plan is?

I think he believes in his ability to coach up younger players.  All of the project safety/linebacker hybrids and corners they drafted this year are probably starting to click in the film room.  That makes him confident that it will translate to the field and they will play fast.

The offense is also very close to putting it all together with the improved line and Zach starting to play within the system.  Zach might be killing it in meetings and Monday morning film review.  Showing the coaches he sees what he missed and then is slowly improving.

Hopefully he sees that 90%of the problems are easily fixed from game experience and that all of the units are really close to being good.

That and he sees the draft capitol JD has accrued along with how well they drafted as a front office this year and he's excited about adding another solid group.

This is me just guessing though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

A team needs a better plan than "build through the draft."

What type of players do they want?  Are they a physical team (Ravens)?  A fast team (Seahawks)?  A smart team (Patriots).  You need a vision and then use the draft to find the players.  I guess the Rams are not trying to build through the draft, but even if you are building through the draft, you need more.  

On offense, the Jets appear to be building a wide-zone run offense with WCO principles.  Mims was not a fit, and Becton may not be either.  AVT and Moore are.  There is more work to do. 

On defense, the Jets appear to be building a Seahawk/49er style 4-3.  They need more DL and LBS generally.  They will fish for DBs in the lower rounds.   Personally, for East Rutherford I would have preferred a Ravens/Steelers/Patriots defense, like Rex ran.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is no universe where being preemptively ok with a losing season a year and half in advance is "being positive".

No one is happy with losing, but I think it's just an understanding of what they're trying to do and accepting that they have a plan.  Which is far more than we saw with Mac. 

Personally, I like the plan and am okay with the sacrifice - I've wanted to see this team do it right for a long - I'm glad we did...the hardest part is behind us now.

It's all growth from here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

building through the draft is one of the worst overused statements-almost every gm says their plan is to build through the draft and it will take time and patience. The reality is most of the gms fail at doing this in particular Jet GMS. As I posted Mac and Izadick fed fans the same nonsense and they failed bigly.  Anybody can say they have plan actually executing it and having actual results is a different story.

Look how easy it is. If the Jets hired you tomorrow-here is your opening presser-   hey folks my plan is to first evaluate the talent on the roster then look at ways we can improve the team. Free agency will offer some options to fill in some holes but our plan is to build for the future and draft a good core of young players that can be our foundation for success for many years to come. Please understand that Rome was not built in a day and this will be a slow ongoing process but the goal is long term success.

What’s your point? 

• Upvote 1

I think by playing the young guys and the castoffs it’s making it easier to identify where the weak spots are and what can drastically make this team better if greatly improved. 

Tight End - If you can add someone like Geiski, it would be a massive upgrade. 

Corner - But you don’t desperately need a number 1 guy.  Someone to hold down the 2nd spot. 

Linebacker - speed however you can get it. 

Safety - Someone like Justin Reid would do wonders. 

And pass rushers in the draft is just obvious. 

Have the tough talk with Becton that he’s playing somewhere besides LT.

I see the plan. I see the light. Follow Lord Saleh!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Saleh is always extremely confident when talking about the plan they have in place. Normally I think it’s all fluff and they know nothing but the more he speaks on it and seeing this tweet from today:

He’s seems so overly confident in what’s going to happen that I can’t ignore it. “The EXACT direction” “CRYSTAL clear”.  

Pretty easy to see what I think he's saying.  Saleh is hinting that he has seen enough to know what players he likes and who he wants to replace.  He has a sense of who fits this system and who does not.

I hate these kinds of statements because it really is a, "don't look at how we're doing now, just trust us when we say we know what we're going to do."  It goes against one the core ways I learn to believe in anyone, watch what they do and not what they say.

With all that said, we've known this is both a young team that's playing the most rookies of any NFL team AND that the talent is really lacking, particularly on defense.  We also know that Saleh & Co. have been here for about 9 months now so this has 100% been an evaluation year.

But let's get specific about his comment that he seems to know "the exact direction this organization needs to go in the offseason."...

1. Does that mean they KNOW that Wilson is a QB they can build around?

2. Does that mean they KNOW that Becton is their longterm LT or do they now KNOW he can't be trusted to be durable enough and the "direction the organization needs to go" is to Draft another OT?

3. Does that mean they KNOW enough about the CBs that they have a wishlist of what they want to do in the offseason?  Is that wishlist to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a CB or is it that those CBs are good enough if the scheme is fulfilled better with pass rushers and LBs who can cover TEs?

4. Does that mean they KNOW they want to extend Quinnen Williams this offseason and that he's a building block?

5. Does that mean they now KNOW that Elijah Moore might be the ONLY really good longterm WR on this roster?

I might have my own answers or opinions on those questions but the only thing that matters is whether Saleh and JD now do.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Someone else gets it.

Its plain as day.  We are heading in the right direction and we have the right people here.  Super exciting time to be a Jets fan.

2023 the winning begins.  Get ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you’ve been Mr. Pollyanna but I actually agree.

I actually have tremendous optimism right now in Salah, Joe Douglas and more cautiously, Zach. 

Again I say- watch the possibilities open up with a clean cap.  Just imagine this scenario.  We sign Chris Godwin (hell maybe Devante Adams). Draft Evan Neal or Ikwonu for the OL.  Draft or sign a decent TE.  Zach continues to develop.  All of that is within reach- actually possible if not probable with our cap and draft capital.  That’s a top 8 offense.  Mike Lafeur has been crushing it. 

2023 and 2024 window. I think playoffs and sustained success start there.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, David Harris said:

2023 and 2024 window. I think playoffs and sustained success start there.

Oh look, another "optimist" who has already written off the 2022 season in Week 14 of the 2021 season.

I guess "it's a process" and expecting anything prior to the GM's fifth season is just asking for too much around here.

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

. D seems all about the Edge rushing and we have to get it or we will continue to give up so many points the O will have to score an average of 30 points a game to have a chance to win each week. That leaves a no margin for error.

I just fundamentally disagree with this. We have Carl Lawson, JFM, Huff, Shaq Lawson all of whom are capable at the EDGE. Our defense needs linebackers and someone to clog up the middle for the run, and safety help WELL before EDGE. If we lose out and we can get one of the 2 elite ones fine, but it is not a position to target. We need speed at linebacker and safety most of all. Just my opinion.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh look, another "optimist" who has already written off the 2022 season in Week 14 of the 2021 season.

I guess "it's a process" and expecting anything prior to the GM's fifth season is just asking for too much around here.

Do you think that we can win with a bunch of second-years and rookies? We might have competitive losses but statistics and history suggest that teams don't just rocket up out of nowhere after 1 year. Sure, some do, but the majority of teams don't. It takes another year or two. And the argument that the GM would be a fifth year is totally opinion because he technically had to spend the first few years gutting the Macc team

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

What a bunch of fluff that statement is.:rolleyes:

So I guess by next season we'll at least maybe know what direction we might need to go in to maybe at some point be a contender eventually.  Clear as mud.

Thanks Coach.  Got it.

Is it fluff like pressers, rookie of the week awards or the plan that players claim they understand 

The plan is as clear as day.  Anyone who needs help with it isn’t paying attention

4 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I'm still hopeful that he'll be correct but these types of statements don't really amount to much.  The clouds are clearing?  Why?  Because we haven't allowed 40+ points against the past 3 weeks?  Talk is cheap.  Though I'll add one exception.  If he's saying this to keep Zach optimistic then that's fine, as this franchise has a lot riding on Zach maintaining his confidence.

image.png.51363dbb602505351904ef11400b465f.png

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm still hopeful that he'll be correct but these types of statements don't really amount to much.  The clouds are clearing?  Why?  Because we haven't allowed 40+ points against the past 3 weeks?  Talk is cheap.  Though I'll add one exception.  If he's saying this to keep Zach optimistic then that's fine, as this franchise has a lot riding on Zach maintaining his confidence.

image.png.51363dbb602505351904ef11400b465f.png

Posting the standings from this season mean you don’t understand. It’s not about this season, never has been. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Posting the standings from this season mean you don’t understand. It’s not about this season, never has been. 

Theyre trying to develop some young starters and a whole lot of young players designated to be depth while developing an inexpensive, young QB at the same time.  If they wind up with a few starters from the last years iffy draft, a couple from this years draft and a few next year, supplement them with FAs and ZW takes a step forward, its working

Its not complicated.  There are a notable few who dont understand more than numbers and thing without context they are the answer to every question

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Like anyone doesn't understand that?  My point is where is he getting that the clouds are clearing?

OLine has the system down so you know what you have.  QB RB and some WRs showing out now.   1/2 the D is garbage and showing that.  

There are some players on the roster who could be parts of a really good team.  And some who will need to move on.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

OLine has the system down so you know what you have.  QB RB and some WRs showing out now.   1/2 the D is garbage and showing that.  

There are some players on the roster who could be parts of a really good team.  And some who will need to move on.  

Every team in the NFL can say that.