..do the jets have any long-term pieces at linebacker or safety ?

rox

At the moment, you could make the case that the Jets have maybe one (or two) starting-caliber player at linebacker and safety. It's unclear what the future holds for the Jets at either position.

C.J. Mosley hasn't necessarily been bad in 2021, but it's very clear that he's not the player he used to be — or at least he's not playing like it. That said, the Jets are locked into Mosley's contract at least through 2022 meaning that he isn't going anywhere until 2023.Mosley will be a starter next season. But has Quincy Williams done enough to convince the Jets that he's deserving of a starting role as well? That much remains to be seen.

The former waiver-wire pickup has exceeded expectations in 2021 and even stolen the starting job away from free-agent signing Jarrad Davis. If Williams excels down the stretch, he might just convince the Jets to keep him around as a starter in 2022.Meanwhile, the safety position remains a complete unknown for Gang Green. Ashtyn Davis and Elijah Riley have each shown promise at points, but it would be a hard sell to count on either as a starter in 2022.

However, with over a month to play, a lot can still happen. Maybe one of them manages to emerge as a candidate to start next year with a standout finish this season.The Jets will surely be keeping a close eye on these two positions over the final stretch of the season.

- -  https://thejetpress.com/posts/4-biggest-questions-ny-jets-roster-2022#slideshow-top-bar-_io5a7nopz

I think Saleh believes he can coach up all the projects they drafted this year.

I don't think our long term Mike or Sam is on the team, but the Will probably is.

I still believe in Davis too.  He hasn't played a lot of football in his life so the learning curve is steep, but he has another year to get the lights to turn on. 

• Upvote 3

Ashtyn Davis is much improved from last season. He’s at just about league average. Elijah Riley is just below league average. Neither is great but both can have roles going forward. 

The team must either sign Jessie Bates Jr. or use a draft pick in the first 3 rounds on a safety. I personally favor Jalen Pitre.

As for LB, just throw out the whole thing. Quincy Williams and Mosley are the only two that have a case to return next year. Devin Lloyd is the dream but Nakobe Dean and Brandon Smith are great consolation prizes.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Asyton Davis is going to get a full year next year as a starting safety.  So we have 1 of 2 safety spots locked down.

Quincy Williams and either Hamsah or Sherwood should be long term pieces moving forward.

And obviously with all the draft picks we have I am sure a new safety and lb will be drafted.

Hamsah and Sherwood, the 2 college safeties turned LBs have been a big disappointment.  Sherwood with an achiles tear is really a question mark for next year.  Hamsah has been injured a lot also and hasn't really shown even flashes of potential. Hoping to find a Fred Warner from these 2 seems very unlikely.  Hopefully they will invest a higher draft pick or better free agent on the linebacking position next year.

Maybe but there’s a very real chance they don’t. The Mosley contract is a problem. I do think Maye and Joyner were potentially a good safety duo for this season but obviously injuries proved problematic and neither is signed past the season.

Davis and Riley should be on the team next year but at least one should be backing up. The free agent safety class is pretty good and I could see one of those guys being the big ticket free agent item.

As much nickel as they run one three down linebacker is potentially a huge addition. Mosley, Williams, Sherwood, Nasirildeen, and Cashman are all signed next season so I don’t think they overhaul the unit but I think one big piece goes a long way and they add the other once Mosley is cuttable.

• Sympathy 1

Respect JDs strategy of going double LBs in mid round hoping to hit on one of them. Looks like no dice on this one but nice try. 

Gunna have to spend a second rounder on one this year which is fine. Rather use a draft pick on LB than a safety tbh - use late picks or FA on safety. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

If this defensive coaching staff wasn't so dammed stubborn, I believe they would or SHOULD end this Sherwood and Nasirildeen experiment right now. Agree not sure what Sherwood is going to be coming off the injury, but Nasir should be considered back at Safety next year. Davis and Nasir should be a good tandem, unless they were both playing the same position in college. Both can hit and cover with their speed, and I would love for this CS to make those adjustments.

- Mosley will have to wait another year to be cut thanks to the opt out

- Quincy Williams deserves to come back even if just for depth but I like his upside

- Jarrad Davis is gone, would like to invest a top pick in LB

- Ashtyn Davis will likely be plugged in as 1 of the 2 Safeties for next season

- I'd like to bring back Joyner and draft another Safety, I do like Marcus Williams as well.

On this god awful D? No one is worth keeping long term. Prove me wrong. Each and every one of these players stink like a steaming pile of turd. Teams run at will. Pass at will. Can’t stop drives. It’s not like it’s an elite D and we can’t tell if a player is great or the scheme is making them look great. It’s a total sh*tbag D and it wouldn’t have been hard to standout. If you release everyone you can from this D and play undrafted rookies, it wouldn’t be much worse. That’s how bad this D is. Minshew looked like Jesus for christ sake. 

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

If this defensive coaching staff wasn't so dammed stubborn, I believe they would or SHOULD end this Sherwood and Nasirildeen experiment right now. Agree not sure what Sherwood is going to be coming off the injury, but Nasir should be considered back at Safety next year. Davis and Nasir should be a good tandem, unless they were both playing the same position in college. Both can hit and cover with their speed, and I would love for this CS to make those adjustments.

I don't think it is stubbornness as much as there is a lack of talent. There are some. serviceable players, but most of them would be rotation or backups on other teams. We have some depth if we can get some starters. We need LBs, Safeties, and probably a CB. The LBs are weak against the run and the secondary gets burned without a great pass rush.