Jump to content

Mount Rushmore Of Rock Guitarist


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are the four who have influenced my listening and playing the most. Pete Townshend--Best right hand and overall rhythm player ever in rock. Jimmy Page--The music as well as his cutting

Eddie Van Halen Billy Gibbons Jimi Hendrix  Prince 

I love everything Pixies.  I love Frank Black and I even love The Breeders, Kim Deal's band (popular song, Cannonball). See, I wouldnt consider Johnny Cash, country.  More Rock-a-Billy IMO.  But

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

I had to look up Mark Knopfler. I had no idea who he was. 

Along with many other guitar greats, the guys on that list would point to Knopfler being incredibly talented and influential.  He has a very unique style.  Read the article below.

"Mark Knopfler has has done it all: recorded massive hit records, written critically acclaimed soundtrack work and collaborated with heroes and contemporaries alike. Here's what some of his fellow guitarists had to say about him..."

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/ever-wondered-what-mark-knopflers-contemporaries-have-to-say-about-him

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Along with many other guitar greats, the guys on that list would point to Knopfler being incredibly talented and influential.  He has a very unique style.  Read the article below.

"Mark Knopfler has has done it all: recorded massive hit records, written critically acclaimed soundtrack work and collaborated with heroes and contemporaries alike. Here's what some of his fellow guitarists had to say about him..."

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/ever-wondered-what-mark-knopflers-contemporaries-have-to-say-about-him

Too funny, my late father-in-law was not a rock fan but he loved Knoppfler's country music.  He had no idea who the band or Knoppfler was and I saw the album cover and I was like "Money For Nothing!"

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Shout out to John McLaughlin and Johnny Winter. Don't believe either was mentioned

 

Some would argue they're on the Mount

 

Not to mention some jazz guitarists like Burrell, Benson et al

McClaughlin! Loved the Mahavishnu Orchestra. 

He played guitar on a song on one of my all time favorite albums, The Desert Song on Stanley Clarke’s  School Days.  

Worked security at a George Benson college concert in 1979. 

This Masquerade. So great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

Not sure if I posted it here or in the other music thread but his acoustic version of Testify on the 12 string is off the charts. I think it was an MTV Unplugged show. 

thanks.  Maybe something me and my wife never heard before?  Not sure, but if so..  can't wait.  The recent documentary series was nothing short of outstanding for me since I was pretty young and knew little of the beginnings.  If you're a big fan, it is a much watch.  Stevie did a live show in fall 1984 at Capital theater in Passaic that I was supposed to go to, but couldn't.  There's a you tube of half the show, although it says full concert.  Never got to see him live.  Had my chance right there.  No one knows where the other half of the concert is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

McClaughlin! Loved the Mahavishnu Orchestra. 

He played guitar on a song on one of my all time favorite albums, The Desert Song on Stanley Clarke’s  School Days.  

Worked security at a George Benson college concert in 1979. 

This Masquerade. So great. 

George Benson is a GREAT guitarist.  In the jazz world… he is well respected.   McLaughlin also.  Both aren’t ROCK guitarists so not mentioned here correctly but are top of the field. IMO.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Shout out to John McLaughlin and Johnny Winter. Don't believe either was mentioned

 

Some would argue they're on the Mount

 

Not to mention some jazz guitarists like Burrell, Benson et al

I wake up EVERY morning to Pandora. I created a channel called the Joe Pass channel.  I listen to all the greats of jazz guitar every morning.  I played string bass in a jazz duet with a guitarist for many years. He was a Berklee grad, I went to Fredonia.  Those were fun years.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dcat said:

thanks.  Maybe something me and my wife never heard before?  Not sure, but if so..  can't wait.  The recent documentary series was nothing short of outstanding for me since I was pretty young and knew little of the beginnings.  If you're a big fan, it is a much watch.  Stevie did a live show in fall 1984 at Capital theater in Passaic that I was supposed to go to, but couldn't.  There's a you tube of half the show, although it says full concert.  Never got to see him live.  Had my chance right there.  No one knows where the other half of the concert is. 

Never saw SRV live, he died before I became a fan do I’m trying to see every great guitarist/musician before they go. 

Saw BB King, EVH and Tom Petty a year or 3 before he died. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Never saw SRV live, he died before I became a fan do I’m trying to see every great guitarist/musician before they go. 

Saw BB King, EVH and Tom Petty a year or 3 before he died. 

The 1st concert I took my kids to about 15 years ago was Tom Petty.  He left us too soon.  Opening act was the Black Crows.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The 1st concert I took my kids to about 15 years ago was Tom Petty.  He left us too soon.  Opening act was the Black Crows.  

lol we saw him a few years ago at MSG and these kids were sitting in front of us and they were blown away by the opening act. And we’re singing along and cheering at every song and they say “this guy is incredible, who is he?”

Steve Winwood. They say youth is wasted in the young. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

lol we saw him a few years ago at MSG and these kids were sitting in front of us and they were blown away by the opening act. And we’re singing along and cheering at every song and they say “this guy is incredible, who is he?”

Steve Winwood. They say youth is wasted in the young. 

I saw Winwood live on stage (or at least tried to) with Traffic at the Palladium, then Academy of Music IIRC, down on 14th St. back around 1978 or 79.  Too bad the show only lasted about 30 minutes and they were booed off with things being thrown at the stage.  Chris Wood was as high as a kite and couldn't stand up or walk, let alone play sax or flute.  They tried to play Low Spark... stopped three times.  After about 30 minutes of tuning starting trying to get Chris Wood sober enough, they left.  So much for my live experience with Steve Winwood.  Memories.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...