2021 Jets defense is historically bad.

sec101row23

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

The LBers (aside from Quincy) are all terrible fits for this scheme. I believe they hold on to Mosely another year and then can him in the 2023 offseason. His cap hit won’t be monstrous at that point.

Mosely is the least of our problems on D right now.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The LBers (aside from Quincy) are all terrible fits for this scheme. I believe they hold on to Mosely another year and then can him in the 2023 offseason. His cap hit won’t be monstrous at that point.

They shouldn’t all be terrible fits though.  Mosley is really the only holdover that’s been getting regular playing time.  The rest were brought in here by this current staff, we shouldn’t have that many terrible fits.  

• Upvote 3

I think the Jets expected major growing pains on defense but also had some unexpected failures and injuries that led to this mess. 

1. Young CB's that have potential but still need to learn and get better. Carter 2, Echols, Hall. Remember those were the starters coming into the season. And they were backed up by young, inexperienced CBs as well- Guidry, Dunn, Pinnock, etc. 

2. Injuries to the Safety position. Maye, Nas, Joyner all struggled with injuries. Even Neasman. In general the safety position only had Davis- a second year player as its stalwart. 

3. Failure at the LB position. Mainly with Davis. He's been really disappointing. In general it seems like the LBs on this team, apart from Mosely, have been underwhelming. Williams has shown some flashes, but as a unit they have looked pretty bad. 

4. Injury to our potentially top Pass Rusher in Lawson. This guy was going to be a major part of this defense. He was not only going to add pressure off the edge but open up everyone else's game- QW, Rankins, JFM...Instead he is out all year, the LBs are underperforming and this talented Dline is rendered much less impactful as a unit. 

*I would also add that when you have a bunch of new/young players in a new system, whether they are perfect for the system or not, its going to take time to figure it out for them and get an understanding how it runs in the NFL. Because its always going to be different than in college, especially what Saleh runs. 

• Upvote 1

....And if we're talking about 'fixing' the defense the solution is clear. Draft a CB and LB high in the draft. They have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and those selections need to be CB, OG/OT, TE and LB in no particular order. 

Stingley, Green/Ikonwu/Neal, Wydermyer, Brandon Smith would be a nice haul. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

These numbers don’t lie.  We all knew this defense was bad but these numbers show it’s one of the worst in the last 2 decades.  

Ok so not as bad as I thought. Literally thought it was THE worse overall in points allowed…ever.  There’s still time.

“Part of the plan”. 

Thank you Saleh!

22 minutes ago, PepPep said:

....And if we're talking about 'fixing' the defense the solution is clear. Draft a CB and LB high in the draft. They have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and those selections need to be CB, OG/OT, TE and LB in no particular order. 

Stingley, Green/Ikonwu/Neal, Wydermyer, Brandon Smith would be a nice haul. 

With the amount of voids this team has, I’d be losses if we didn’t trade down from one of our top 6 picks into the teens and pick up a future first along with another second this year maybe? Hopefully the Adams’ pick so we can continue claiming victory for another year.

Jets draft defense for 20 years in a row and now we are in the fix the defense mode.

My worst fear is coming true.

After actually trying to add offense for a year or so and still FAR away for building an offense e are already talking about total defense drafts.

Worst thing to happen  to this team coach aside was hiring a Dcentric coach who is floundering.

It will b another proud NY jets draft when we draft a pass rusher, safety and LB with three of our 1st 4 picks.

• Upvote 1

This could be a historically bad roster on defense as well.

How many guys would start for other NFL teams?

I think we have one bonafide starter at LB.... Mosely.

In the Secondary we have one guy who should be a CB2, Bryce Hall.  Nobody else should be starting outside of maybe Michael Carter II as a slot/nickel CB.

That's 66% of the defense, everyone behind the DLine.

As for the DLine we have QW, JFM, and a rotation of slightly above average guys some of whom are one-year rentals like Shaq who replaces Carl at the Lawson position. ?

Saleh wants to run a penetrating, attacking DLine which makes it susceptible against the run if the run-fits aren't right on a particular play.  In San Francisco this was fine because if the RB got through the DLine he would have a 3-yard gain when sure-tackling LBs got him.  Those RBs here seem to go for 8 yards.

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jets draft defense for 20 years in a row and now we are in the fix the defense mode.

My worst fear is coming true.

After actually trying to add offense for a year or so and still FAR away for building an offense e are already talking about total defense drafts.

Worst thing to happen  to this team coach aside was hiring a Dcentric coach who is floundering.

It will b another proud NY jets draft when we draft a pass rusher, safety and LB with three of our 1st 4 picks.

Share a similar fear.

But taking Thibodeaux or Hutch if available seems like a no brainer.

The Jets hired a defensive coach whose defensive plan generally was to draft a lot of DL and defense generally (doing a good job scouting lower round draft picks) and telling them to go play.  We don’t have the players for this defense.

If, Saleh needed, let’s say, 14 NFL quality players to run his defense the right way, how many are on the field now?  I would not even include Mosley because he is not really a fit.  

If through the draft, prior drafts and FA the Jets are able to add 4+ New players to this defense, I think they go from atrocious to ok.