Zach Wilson Is TERRIBLE!

SoFlaJets

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Totally unexplainable.

I watched lots of his college tape and his accuracy was PINPOINT, coupled with a “Mahomes type, rocket arm that can make Any Throw from Any Angle”.  That was actually the argument that made him a supposed no brainer top of the draft pick, the accuracy was so impressive that it really didn’t matter who is competition was or will be.....a receiver gets open, even slightly...BANG...the ball is right there.  That’s the reason Chris Simms confidently projected him as the #1 pick in the draft, a sure thing, and not even a toss up when comparing him to Trevor Lawrence as to who to draft.

How do you go from completing close to 75% of your passes your Senior year, 30 TDs, 3 INTs....to missing unobstructed layups in your own backfield by a mile.  A 10 year old kid in his backyard can hit some of the throws he has missed, badly, this year.

A lot of it is psychological along with the Jets being one of the most cursed franchises in all sports history.

We’ve gone from “he can hit All Throws, Off Platform, from Any Angle”....to...”Can you just complete a Screen Pass?”

I saw the same thing on his college film.

This is just crazy…

12 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

His protection at BYU was ridiculous. Always allowed him to get in rhythm and have a comfortable pocket. Those off platform throws are a lot easier when they aren't forced. There was always the question mark of how he'd hold up under pressure - He performed well in the few occasions where he was pressured last season but it was a small enough sample size to be insignificant and it's a whole different game when you have NFL defenders running at another speed all over you. 

I liked Zach coming out, eventually at least. I tend to end up liking the guys the Jets are getting (Fields was the exception) and I think a lot of us overlooked how comfortable that setting was in BYU. Other people did highlight it. But I doubt even they could have thought he'd look this bad. He should never have been playing this year and having him as the uncontested starter was just negligence on an unfathomable scale. I think Saleh and co. were cowardly to throw him out there, thinking of it as a free hit. They didn't to have the fans and media on their back as they persisted with a veteran. We've probably destroyed whatever could be salvaged of the kid because that pressure has came for him and it's clearly affecting him. He looks broken, like Hackenberg did at Penn St. 

He's just completely overwhelmed and every coach and player knows it. They had an out with Mike White and didn't take it, they could have given the kid a break and let him adjust at his own pace. It looks for all the world like a lost cause now. I've been saying it for week - Good QB, let alone great ones - They just never look like this, not at any point in their careers. These aren't standard rookie problems - He's missing high school level throws consistently. He's drowning out there. 

Good post, but I’m going to disagree with one thing you said.

Today was eye opening for me. I’ve never before said a QB looked scared while he was on the field. I have too much respect for what it takes for someone to play this game. I said it today about Wilson.
I noticed it in the first half, but didn’t want to believe my eyes. Then in the drive with 10 minutes left in the 4th, there were two plays where I just couldn’t deny it.

I was one of those “he should’ve sat for a year” guys, but not anymore. What I think is wrong with Wilson isn’t going to be fixed.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Sit down. Can it. 

davis mills had 2 seniors at RB and room of Walmart clerks at receiver and Wilson made him look like John Elway. 

enough of this trash. Zach had time to throw and missed his targets all day. 

Thank you someone else can see this sh*t. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I cant take this board after a loss. Why don't we discuss the first two drives where useless Johnson dropped easy big first down catches? Make those plays, extend the drives, score points and who knows, maybe the outcome is different 

They were bad drops.  No doubt.  How does that excuse the rest of the game for Wilson?  

He averaged 4.8 yards per attempt today.  4.8. 

Josh Rosen's career YPA is 5.8.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DoubleDown said:

I honestly don't get it. He didn't have these inaccuracy issues in college. 

It's a good question. I watched every throw he made last year and don't recall him just wildly missing guys.

NFL is a different animal. I believe his issues are mental/confidence and there is no guarantee he'll overcome those issues. He may just be a bust but I personally will not say that until the end of next year (assuming these issues don't get better by then).

I'll say this. Zach went into last year without his starting job being guaranteed. He fought and had to improve a lot to lead that BYU team. Let's see if he can make similar improvements going into year 2. I don't think he's a lost cause. You see talent there, he's just got to improve mentally and relax out there.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

His protection at BYU was ridiculous. Always allowed him to get in rhythm and have a comfortable pocket. Those off platform throws are a lot easier when they aren't forced. There was always the question mark of how he'd hold up under pressure - He performed well in the few occasions where he was pressured last season but it was a small enough sample size to be insignificant and it's a whole different game when you have NFL defenders running at another speed all over you. 

I liked Zach coming out, eventually at least. I tend to end up liking the guys the Jets are getting (Fields was the exception) and I think a lot of us overlooked how comfortable that setting was in BYU. Other people did highlight it. But I doubt even they could have thought he'd look this bad. He should never have been playing this year and having him as the uncontested starter was just negligence on an unfathomable scale. I think Saleh and co. were cowardly to throw him out there, thinking of it as a free hit. They didn't to have the fans and media on their back as they persisted with a veteran. We've probably destroyed whatever could be salvaged of the kid because that pressure has came for him and it's clearly affecting him. He looks broken, like Hackenberg did at Penn St. 

He's just completely overwhelmed and every coach and player knows it. They had an out with Mike White and didn't take it, they could have given the kid a break and let him adjust at his own pace. It looks for all the world like a lost cause now. I've been saying it for week - Good QB, let alone great ones - They just never look like this, not at any point in their careers. These aren't standard rookie problems - He's missing high school level throws consistently. He's drowning out there. 

I agree. Those first 2 games killed him. His protection here is also pretty good, but you're right about that.

At the end of his Sophomore year at BYU there were many questions on whether or not he would start the next year, and he came out on fire. It was more than an easy schedule kind of level, you can find many examples of Zach making perfect passes in between CBs' arms to the receiver. That's why most people overlooked the easy schedule part, because he could throw completions to receivers who weren't open. The difference in protection from BYU to game was was probably so crazy it shook him, because he's playing worse than he normally does.

So I totally agree with you, but I also think if you can put his starting job into serious question, I think he can deoverwhelm himself over the offseason and the competition will motivate him.

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I can 100% verify this. Add @JiFapono and @Integrity28 to this. It’s almost like they got an early bootleg copy of this. Me? I’m just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk. 

I wish this was something I was proud of.  I had concerns and some of this was to be expected but honestly, I didnt think it would be this tragic.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I feel baited by threads like these because really there's no one to blame but ourselves -- and I guess JD. 

We have got to get out of this "A QB will save the Jets" mentality.

Zach hasn't been as advertised but that doesn't mean we have to be losers. They fcked it up when they put him out there with no competition. We need to get back to treating the position like a chess match. Its the OC and play-calling that matters. Call in the play, and let the player execute. 

Clearly Zach's not ready.

Mac Jones was billed as a plug and play guy. "but no ceiling!".... Who the fck cares. Ceilings are so overvauled. There's like 3 QBs at any given time who can do what you're asking of the position the way we are. Chasing waterfalls. Just get a guy who can execute. 

Aaron Rodgers is Football quarterback phenom, blah blah- dude has played in the same number of superbowls, as Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan and 10000 other guys who just executed the play call. Statistically speaking, we would have been better off trading back and taking Mac Jones.

Mac Jones would look like Greg McElroy if this God forsaken team had taken him. 

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I feel baited by threads like these because really there's no one to blame but ourselves -- and I guess JD. 

We have got to get out of this "A QB will save the Jets" mentality.

Zach hasn't been as advertised but that doesn't mean we have to be losers. They fcked it up when they put him out there with no competition. We need to get back to treating the position like a chess match. Its the OC and play-calling that matters. Call in the play, and let the player execute. 

Clearly Zach's not ready.

Mac Jones was billed as a plug and play guy. "but no ceiling!".... Who the fck cares. Ceilings are so overvauled. There's like 3 QBs at any given time who can do what you're asking of the position the way we are. Chasing waterfalls. Just get a guy who can execute. 

Aaron Rodgers is Football quarterback phenom, blah blah- dude has played in the same number of superbowls, as Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan and 10000 other guys who just executed the play call. Statistically speaking, we would have been better off trading back and taking Mac Jones.

Break the bank for Adams and Rogers. 
let’s go 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

He is worse than Geno Smith, He is worse than Sam Darnold, he's probably right down there in Christian Hackenberg territory had he ever played. This kid has shown NOTHING. NOTHING, he is not worthy of starting another NFL game, he has no upside. I've never seen a pro QB so consistently MISS wide open players with NO pressure on him. He bounced  a screen pass today for God sake! Anyone who thinks that he should be given the starting job in 2022 is blind.

F### Zach and the fat bast## who drafted him.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Mac Jones would look like Greg McElroy if this God forsaken team had taken him. 

No, he wouldn’t. 

and honestly, your post is symptomatic of what I’m getting at. “We need He-Man to win”.. no, you really don’t.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, BallinPB said:

A lot of these “analysts” and “experts” voice their opinions and they don’t watch every game or analyze every play.  Do I think Chris Simms took a full day + to review Zach Wilson  game tape?  Absolutely not.  

I was on board with Zach and thought he would succeed.  

Others here particularly in the draft forum were not.  I never post there but you have guys there who offer really thorough analysis of players and I believe @win4everdid an extensive breakdown of Wilson voicing his concerns.  I believe he saw bad pocket presence, locking onto receivers etc.  

The website is still up because I'm an idiot and left it on auto-renew, and only realized it when I saw the bill, lol.  

I'm not out on Wilson, I thought he was an physical upside pick, much like Lance.  The arm strength and off-platform ability are great tools to have, but there were a ton of concerns about him for rookie season.  

1.  Mac Jones was an impossible scouting option, because that team was loaded.  I mean, he could have stared down his first WR and still put up a Heisman season.  Having two top what 12 pick receivers, plus a really good WR in Metchie, a first round RB, elite OL is just impossible to screw up.  He could have been anywhere between Leinart to Pennington, and no one knew for sure.  He's shading much closer to Pennington as of now.  

2.  A lot of folks argued that the competition factor was negated by the lack of talent at BYU.  I think @JiFaponocan attest to the pushback on suggesting that Wilson was playing some losers that were clearly outmatched.  It was so bad, I wrote a whole article, asking people to explain the defense: 

https://jetsfilmreview.com/2021/04/12/zach-wilson-explain-this-defense/

It wasn't that these guys were physically outmatched, they were mentally outmatched.  I forgot who it was (I think it's in that write-up) but they had a team that played off-coverage in zone.  Except he has his back to the receiver, which meant an out-route just couldn't be stopped.  He did this over and over again (not that Wilson looked at that guy each time), but guy was facing inside, looking at the QB, which left the out-route to be an easy pitch and catch opportunity anytime they wanted it.  This is where Wilson's arm hides mental issues on the defensive side.  Most conference QBs can't make that out throw without putting some air under the ball, allowing the CB to recover, especially across hash marks.  These guys are used to playing those guys, thus can't adjust to someone of the caliber of Wilson.  

There was another one, that was actually part of the Wilson highlights, where he looked off a safety, and then hit the seam route.  My issue was, as soon as Wilson looked at the safety, the guy completely ran to the other side like the ball was thrown.  A good safety slides a couple of steps, but this guy bit like Ashtyn Davis and just ran away from the play.  That's not eye manipulation as much as idiotic response from the defense.  

3.  I argued for Justin Fields (not that he's doing great either) because his running ability adds a dimension to the offense that allows for a transition.  That his ceiling was near Wilson's, but his flaws were more easily correctable.  

Saying all that, I don't think Wilson is a bust.  There's potential, but they need talent around him.  Corey Davis is a good No. 2, but he shouldn't be the No. 1 guy.  They need to go find a receiver that actually threatens the defense.  I'd make Adams the highest paid WR if I could, or make Godwin a top 5 guy.  This offense looks a lot better with Moore in it because he's the only one that is a one on one nightmare.  No one cares if Crowder runs 5 yard slants or if Corey Davis runs to the sideline.  They need to get weapons, and honestly I'd double dip and go for someone in the draft as well.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Yeah, no. I have not defended anyone really. I have said that a few games into a career is early, and I have said this is a dumpster fire in every way from coaching, to personnel. 

You are a complete troll, nothing else. What do you want credit for? Your number 1 QB in the draft was Trevor Lawrence, he has been every bit as bad as ZW. You run around acting like Minshaw is Kurt Warner. You don't know anything about the QB position other than to play extremely high odds. Yeah, who the Jets draft is going to suck. REally going out on a limb there pal.

I ranked the QBs before the draft. My analysis for Zach had nothing to do with him coming to the Jets. Unlike your defense of him, which has everything to do with that (see: your criticism of Lawrence).

Even when you criticize, you strengthen my position.

Facts over feelings, Frank.