Zach Wilson Is TERRIBLE!

SoFlaJets

17 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

anyone ever hear of Tyler Huntley? Undrafted qb. Lamar Jackson’s backup. Yea me neither. But he’s still better than Zach Wilson

D88E4872-1788-4E80-9285-F16FA513C6CC.thumb.jpeg.b043a839d5bca172f86635c69fb6ceab.jpeg

72642A53-069B-47BB-B93A-D3EA0B412007.thumb.jpeg.f86b33e3e2368184e6a65d73cba86e35.jpeg

anyone want to guess how many times zach Wilson has thrown for 270 yards?

EB976B72-ACED-415A-86BD-7945D2386635.thumb.jpeg.a1f1a8357a3ccbddb6b82af082af6d95.jpeg

once!

You’re an idiot

this is the level of analysis Jet fans have

sad!

• Thumb Down 4

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He isn't terrible because he is a rookie going through growing pains just like Lawrence and Fields. 

He was missing his top 3 offensive weapons yesterday and the ones that he was throwing too had more drops than I can count. 

Was he good? No. He was bad yesterday. But a young QB going through growing pains isn't going to have a good game passing to Ty Johnson and Keelan Cole and whoever the Jets put out there at tight end. 

At least Lawrence had James Robinson (who was elite last year) and Marvin Jones Jr yesterday and still had 4 INTs. 

Lawrence and Fields suck. Wilson sucks. I'm confused as to why people keep bringing up Lawrence as if his struggles show that this is just fine. Why not bring up Herbert, Burrow, Tua, Murray, Jones, Baker, Jackson, Watson or the countless other QB's, good and bad, who adapted just fine to the NFL. 

Wilson sucked with his weapons as well as without. He was the 31st or 32nd ranked starter in just about every category before that game. The excuses are nonsense, laughable, ridiculous. It's sad to read this sh*t.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

29 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He isn't terrible because he is a rookie going through growing pains just like Lawrence and Fields. 

He was missing his top 3 offensive weapons yesterday and the ones that he was throwing too had more drops than I can count. 

Was he good? No. He was bad yesterday. But a young QB going through growing pains isn't going to have a good game passing to Ty Johnson and Keelan Cole and whoever the Jets put out there at tight end. 

At least Lawrence had James Robinson (who was elite last year) and Marvin Jones Jr yesterday and still had 4 INTs. 

Dear lord, it's like 2018 all over again....

I'd have thought that might have taught some of you a lesson about these things, but I guess not.  

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, maury77 said:

3. You cannot give up on him after one season. It would somehow make arguably the worst franchise in the league look even worse. 

4. He could still theoretically pan out, but I'm not betting on it. 

5. I don't think you can bring in veteran competition next year because it would be a tacit admission that you make a mistake and both Saleh and Douglas's egos will not allow it. 

6. I think the first time you could legitimately bring in a vet to compete against Wilson is 2023. 

There's no way you can just saddle yourself with him as the guy "just because." Losing every game because the QB isn't an NFL caliber player makes the franchise look worse than anything.

Strong consideration needs to be given to giving him the Josh Rosen treatment and if not at a minimum a competent veteran QB needs to be brought in. The other players, coaches, and fans all deserve better than this.

• Upvote 1

It's weird to me that people are defending him because of "weapons" or inexperience or other side data points.

Are you watching the games?

He can't play. Like, he cannot do the absolute bare minimum things required to be an NFL QB. He isn't just the worst starting QB in the NFL, he's not worthy of an active roster spot.

He cannot make simple checkdown throws. 90% of the passes he throws are in the dirt, three yards behind the receiver, or airmailed over their heads. He is terrified in clean pockets, has terrible feet, has terrible instincts.

Zach Wilson is much, much worse than Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, or Sam Darnold ever were. He looks like a guy who isn't even close to being an NFL player.

• Upvote 4

He is obviously talented, but has struggled with his mechanics and managing his energy in game. Just like BYU did before his last season there, challenge him by bringing in a vet to compete. 

If his experience in college showed anything its that he doesn't shrink in the face of competition. if he does, we have insurance. if he doesn't we have the guy we saw vs. tenessee more consistently and win a bunch. 

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There's no way you can just saddle yourself with him as the guy "just because." Losing every game because the QB isn't an NFL caliber player makes the franchise look worse than anything.

Strong consideration needs to be given to giving him the Josh Rosen treatment and if not at a minimum a competent veteran QB needs to be brought in. The other players, coaches, and fans all deserve better than this.

I don’t disagree with you, I just don’t think what you are describing is going to happen. Not a chance.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They were bad drops.  No doubt.  How does that excuse the rest of the game for Wilson?  

He averaged 4.8 yards per attempt today.  4.8. 

Josh Rosen's career YPA is 5.8.

Good question, here's my answer. The offense never had a chance to get into any flow or rhythm because of the early drops. Nothing can kill the offense like coming out of the locker room and going three and out four straight times. Comparing stats to others makes little sense when evaluating the game.

I was at the game as always, unfortunately. From my seats 232A, I have a great view of the developing play. Out of 38 attempts, I would say there were five throws that were awful. The throw in the dirt was after he avoided the rush and did not reset, the others were just bad throws, so what.

2 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

He is obviously talented, but has struggled with his mechanics and managing his energy in game. Just like BYU did before his last season there, challenge him by bringing in a vet to compete. 

If his experience in college showed anything its that he doesn't shrink in the face of competition. if he does, we have insurance. if he doesn't we have the guy we saw vs. tenessee more consistently and win a bunch. 

I'm fully on board with this. 

Sanchez, Geno, and Darnold were all coddled. Do it differently this time. Bring in a guy to push Wilson to be better. His accuracy issues are fixable if he works at it and wants to be great. 

Either Wilson gets better and becomes the QB we want or he doesn't and maybe we are at least not a total laughingstock with whomever we bring in. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Good question, here's my answer. The offense never had a chance to get into any flow or rhythm because of the early drops. Nothing can kill the offense like coming out of the locker room and going three and out four straight times. Comparing stats to others makes little sense when evaluating the game.

I was at the game as always, unfortunately. From my seats 232A, I have a great view of the developing play. Out of 38 attempts, I would say there were five throws that were awful. The throw in the dirt was after he avoided the rush and did not reset, the others were just bad throws, so what.

Drops weren’t the only reason we started with four straight 3-and-outs.  And if a QB is going to be a decent pro he can’t let those first several drives “carry over” to the remaining ones.  If a QB becomes incapacitated by a poor start and can’t bounce back whatsoever, then he’s not a pro QB. 

And Ok.  So you counted 5 awful throws.  How about the throws that were simply not good or didn’t lead a receiver?  Did you have a count on those?  And how many “good throws” did you count?

“So what?”  Uhh, if you think your # 2 picked QB playing like dog-sh*t, and not just this past Sunday, is NBD, then I guess you’re just the kind of fan that’s cool with being given a terrible product week after week.  Since you were one of the few to actually attend the game I can imagine your brain has to work extra hard to justify making the trip to the stadium.  

33 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's weird to me that people are defending him because of "weapons" or inexperience or other side data points.

He can't play. Like, he cannot do the absolute bare minimum things required to be an NFL QB. He isn't just the worst starting QB in the NFL, he's not worthy of an active roster spot.

He cannot make simple checkdown throws. 90% of the passes he throws are in the dirt, three yards behind the receiver, or airmailed over their heads. He is terrified in clean pockets, has terrible feet, has terrible instincts.

Zach Wilson is much, much worse than Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, or Sam Darnold ever were. He looks like a guy who isn't even close to being an NFL player.

If he was anyone other than the #2 pick in the draft, both fans and the GM would have already cut him from the roster based on the objective lack of quality of his play to-date.

I agree, Sanchez, Geno, even Darnold were all noticeably better than Wilson has been so far.  

This kid looks like what he is, a small school, played no real competition, disaster of a misguided pick.

And no, it doesn't matter that Fields this, or Lawrence that, bringing them in is deflection at best. 

Wilson's play, on it's own, is not NFL-level worthy.  So far.  Sadly, I think the Wilson homers are correct, as bad as he is, this GM and this organization is too dumb to see what is right in front of them, and will double down on Wilson next year without any legitimate competition.

Same ol' Jets, same ol' Jets Fans.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I just want to add here that the vast majority of fans are not blindly defending Zach. We're upset/concerned of course, however, i'm not giving up on a rookie. Period. End of discussion. He gets until end of next year. If you can see the future at this point, congrats, but I can't. I want to be 100% certain he's not the guy. 2 seasons is not unreasonable to grant a rookie QB to see if he can develop.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Drops weren’t the only reason we started with four straight 3-and-outs.  And if a QB is going to be a decent pro he can’t let those first several drives “carry over” to the remaining ones.  If a QB becomes incapacitated by a poor start and can’t bounce back whatsoever, then he’s not a pro QB. 

And Ok.  So you counted 5 awful throws.  How about the throws that were simply not good or didn’t lead a receiver?  Did you have a count on those?  And how many “good throws” did you count?

“So what?”  Uhh, if you think your # 2 picked QB playing like dog-sh*t, and not just this past Sunday, is NBD, then I guess you’re just the kind of fan that’s cool with being given a terrible product week after week.  Since you were one of the few to actually attend the game I can imagine your brain has to work extra hard to justify making the trip to the stadium.  

Remember last week when some of you were getting on him for bad throws, and then the all 22 was posted to prove that the bad throws were actually bad routes?  Same with yesterday. Yes, he had bad throws, it will happen every game. Maybe based on the lineup he was forced to play with the timing was off? Maybe the wrong routes were run, again? Maybe you're right, maybe Wilson is no good. But, at 22 years old, I'll give him some time. 

Now I need to make some money, enjoy the day

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If he was anyone other than the #2 pick in the draft, both fans and the GM would have already cut him from the roster based on the objective lack of quality of his play to-date.

I agree, Sanchez, Geno, even Darnold were all noticeably better than Wilson has been so far.  

This kid looks like what he is, a small school, played no real competition, disaster of a misguided pick.

And no, it doesn't matter than Fields this, or Lawrence that, bringing them in is deflection at best. 

Wilson's play, on it's own, is not NFL-level worthy.  So far.  Sadly, I think the Wilson homers are correct, as bad as he is, this GM and this organization is too dumb to see what is right in front of them, and will double down on Wilson next year without any legitimate competition.

Same ol' Jets, same ol' Jets Fans.

This is 100% false. If this was true, Hackenberg wouldn't have been on the team multiple years. He was god awful and couldn't hit anything after multiple years.

My guess is the GM and organization are concerned, however, to say they're "too dumb" is ridiculous. They may in fact be dumb, no argument, but not for this reason. Not kicking a 22 year old rookie QB to the curb after 9 starts is the new measure of "dumb"? C'mon man.

Your post is more a panic reaction than zach dropping back to pass...

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

I think the only game that I really enjoyed watching this whole season was the one that Mike White started against the Bengals when the ball was coming out and going to where it was supposed to go. I am willing to bet anyone on this board that Mike White isn't a Jet next season and the team he ends up on will be really happy that Joe Douglas and his stellar 5-24 record as the gm here was stupid enough to release him without getting a thing for him.

JD hasn't shown himself to be the type of GM who lets a quality player go without getting anything in return. And White may be a solid backup but he isn't winning anything for you. He won't take you anywhere other than mediocrity. Zach Wilson may be a bust but if he is not, at least he has the talent to take you to the top. I have not seen that from White. And if JD DOES decide to let White walk without getting anything in return I won't lose sleep over it. As long as a vet QB is brought in as backup.  

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

fwiw, of all the concerns I had with Zach, level of comp. was not the highest on the list.  I think it tends to be a little overblown in the analysis process but to answer your question, Pat Mahomes played 10x the level of competition.  He had defining moments that Wilson never had in college for example: 735 yards and 5 TD's vs. Oklahoma, 585 and 6 vs. Baylor twice, 370 and 4 vs. LSU.

But you bring up the whole problem with the Wilson analysis.  It was a huge stretch to think he was in the Mahomes caliber of athlete, arm strength, competitor, etc.  Mahomes is a freak.  They're not the same at all and people fell in love with a side arm throw or 2 here and there and some off script stuff and made huge leaps to be the first to make a hot take and Chris Simms is a blow hard.

I had similar reservations about Mahomes coming out .... and they were valid. Mahomes is an outlier with his play style, he just happens to have an absolutely elite arm and mind that allow him to make plays that 99.99% of other QB prospects can't make. To put it in blackjack terms, just because I hit on 18 and got a 3 shouldn't make that the routine play moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

This is 100% false. If this was true, Hackenberg wouldn't have been on the team multiple years. He was god awful and couldn't hit anything after multiple years.

My guess is the GM and organization are concerned, however, to say they're "too dumb" is ridiculous. They may in fact be dumb, no argument, but not for this reason. Not kicking a 22 year old rookie QB to the curb after 9 starts is the new measure of "dumb"? C'mon man.

Your post is more a panic reaction than zach dropping back to pass...

No panic at all, I've simply seen this movie before, more than once, and I know the ending.

Hell, I could write most of the Wilson-defenders posts before they do, they're that level of predictable/recycled from the Darnold/Geno/Sacnhez Eras.

Needs Time.  Weapons.  Rookie.  Better than he looked.  Drops.  Can't expect much.  WR's are to blame. Go root for someone else.  Maybe in two years.  Etc, etc, etc.

And yes, this organization is unquestionably dumb, the results speak far more loudly than all the homer posts combined ever will.

A smart organization sees clearly that their pick was bad, and changes course asap, because QB is the most vital position on the field.  Doesn't mean cutting Zach, it means bringing in legit competition, and making Zach EARN his playing time, not have it handed to him because of draft slot.  "Learn while losing" is a fantasy.  And lets be clear, Zach will lose any competition against almost anyone right now.  He's that bad.  He needs to sit and watch and learn if he's going to have any chance as a Pro-level QB.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, FactsOnly said:

2x rookie of the week despite the worst coaching staff, offensive line, defense, offensive weapons, and OC across the league?

Wilson is a gem

learn the sport 

58 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493be95ga42dr261pg555d4

He forgot to mention that it's the "Pepsi Zero Sugar Rookie of the Week"

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

I’ll keep saying it. He looks terrible but i’ll reserve judgement until end of next season. Everyone wants to know yesterday what tomorrow’s answers are.

Personal theory, I just think he’s a scared, nervous child out there right now. When he relaxes he looks good. I think he went into yesterday terrified because he was missing guys. I believe his emotions are severely impacting his play, making simple tasks very difficult. Kid needs to slam 2 doubles of whiskey before he runs out onto the field.

You and I are seeing the same things. The difference is it seems you think he’s salvageable.

I was on the let’s give this time train until yesterday (against my better judgement) but not any more. The kid is a bust.

JD isn’t any better. All we heard about this guy is how great he is at evaluating talent. All he’s shown is an ability to tear down a team. Think about how many bodies he’s brought in, and the hit rate on them. It’s abysmal.

Saleh is lost as a HC. Getting lost among yesterday’s sh**show is the terrible clock management at the end of the first half, and then kicking off after the late FG instead of trying an onside kick.

Anyone who sees this mess turning around with this group is hoping against hope right now. This is a failure on every level.

GM

CS

on field talent

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Dear lord, it's like 2018 all over again....

I'd have thought that might have taught some of you a lesson about these things, but I guess not.  

I never understand the rush to be the first to call a player a bust. 

There were idiots on this forum calling Moore a bust after a rough start. Then he was the best rookie WR for a 6 week stretch (yes, way better than chase during that stretch). 

Not sure what those clowns through they were getting from bashing Moore that early and not sure what SOJFs like you get from calling Wilson a bust early. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Lawrence and Fields suck. Wilson sucks. I'm confused as to why people keep bringing up Lawrence as if his struggles show that this is just fine. Why not bring up Herbert, Burrow, Tua, Murray, Jones, Baker, Jackson, Watson or the countless other QB's, good and bad, who adapted just fine to the NFL. 

Wilson sucked with his weapons as well as without. He was the 31st or 32nd ranked starter in just about every category before that game. The excuses are nonsense, laughable, ridiculous. It's sad to read this sh*t.

LMAO at suggesting Tua has played well. You pretty much lose all credibility when the Dolphins are pretty much ready to move on from Tua. Yet you lump him in with Herbert. Comical. 

It's like some of you just started watching football. 

52 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agreed.

If this kid were a 4th round pick he’d be PS fodder. He’s going to go down in Jets lore as “JD’s folly”.

16 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I had similar reservations about Mahomes coming out .... and they were valid. Mahomes is an outlier with his play style, he just happens to have an absolutely elite arm and mind that allow him to make plays that 99.99% of other QB prospects can't make. To put it in blackjack terms, just because I hit on 18 and got a 3 shouldn't make that the routine play moving forward. 

As did I, which is why I preferred Watson but at the end of the day, his talent and magic was undeniable and shown to be so over a longer period of time vs. a higher level of competition, so I wanted him but you know, Jamal Adams instead.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

As did I, which is why I preferred Watson but at the end of the day, his talent and magic was undeniable and shown to be so over a longer period of time vs. a higher level of competition, so I wanted him but you know, Jamal Adams instead.

That Adams pick is shaping up to be “O’Brien over Marino” bad.

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Im going to leave you on one last word of wisdom. People who are great, or even good, don't need to tell others how good they are. Greatness is recognized. Michael Jordan didnt need to tell anyone how great he was, everyone knew it. If you are truly the QB guru you believe yourself to be, everyone will recognize it, and you don't have to tell everyone, 10x per day how great of a QB guru you are. Enjoy your trolling.

Glad you’ve conceded because I can only hook you and drag you in the boat once. Time to move on to more challenging prey.