Where do you stand on ZW?

Where do you stand concerning Zach Wilson  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Did you want to draft Zach Wilson @ #2 overall

2. 2. Do you think Zach Wilson is a franchise qb?

• Yes
    • No
    • It’s still early but I have faith he will become a very good qb
    • It’s still early but I’m very concerned with what I see
  3. 3. Should JD bring in a veteran next year to compete with ZW

4. 4. Would you move on from Zach Wilson

• No. it’s too early to tell and he needs more time
    • I’d Move on. I’ve seen enough

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Y’all are insufferable.

Trevor Lawrence with 4 picks today. Zach had none with his top 4 weapons out and Ty Johnson and Keelan Cole playing whack-a-mole with every pass thrown at them.

with all due respect, Wilson accuracy is bad and getting worse.  IN the HC presser he said he had some drops on him well coach, I know you want to spin a positive tone, but two of the three passes to TJ in the 1st Q were behind him... others were thrown in the dirt, wide or above the WR.  

To me he seems to have lost confidence coupled with inaccuracy has IMHO a deterioration in his fundamentals which I thought were not great to begin with. 

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You can’t waste the draft capital on a bust and have the Pats grab a quality starter 14 picks later and survive.   Saleh and Douglas both need to go if Zach can’t be salvaged.   The rebuild through the draft depends on successfully drafting.  

I doubt Saleh had much to do with Wilson tbh. 

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This 100% 

My biggest issue with the Zach critics is that they seem to have had their mind made up prior to the season, and now anything he does remotely badly is amplified times 100. 

The same people that want to jettison him after 9 games or whatever, are mostly the same people willing to excuse JD after 44 games, or not give Saleh his extremely sizable fair share of the blame. 

The fact people wont take into account the ridiculous team the kid is playing with is mind boggling. 

This game was lost by Ty Johnson/Denzel Mims/the entire defense, Zach is partially to blame but not nearly as much as the others. 

So I didn’t want to draft Zach and We are stuck with him for the foreseeable future. I’m as big a Zach hater as there is on this site. 

But I’m willing to give him props when he makes a nice play or has a good game. The problem is that, objectively speaking, there weren’t many good plays today and he has been struggling all season long.

Everyone here wants Zach to succeed. We are all jets fans. We all want the same thing. If Zach turns out to be pat mahomes ill become his biggest supporter. And so would all the other “haters”. It just doesn’t look very promising right now.

also JD gets blame, Saleh gets blame. The defense gets blame. The Wrs get blame. But ZW was the 2nd overall pick. All eyes are on him. And as of right now, I am not impressed.

• Upvote 1

You usually know what you have with a quarterback in their first season. How many QBs have gone from terrible to elite? There are maybe a half dozen examples with Peyton Manning being the most notable. Zach could turn it around but people should absolutely be concerned with what they've seen so far.

6 minutes ago, hawk said:

That's all fine and dandy.  What excuses are there for bounce passes in the NFL.  It is still the NFL, correct?  I mean it does happen in the NBA.

How about standing in the pocket with no one around a d throwing the ball 10 - 15 feet too high.  

How about not one single pass that hit a receiver where it should be?

Would it really make a difference if it was Moore or Davis?  How about Randy Moss or Jerry Rice?  

The excuses for this kid are insufferable.  He is gawd awful!

This is a prime example of the type of people I'm talking about. 

"What excuses are there for bounce passes" - no mention of the ridiculous drops. 

"Standing in the pocket" - no mention of running for his life the other half of the time. 

"Not one single pass where it should be" - just false and an extreme take. 

"He is gawwwwwddd awfullll" - derp derp derp

The GM on down to the water boys are awful right now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

So I didn’t want to draft Zach and We are stuck with him for the foreseeable future. I’m as big a Zach hater as there is on this site. 

But I’m willing to give him props when he makes a nice play or has a good game. The problem is that, objectively speaking, there weren’t many good plays today and he has been struggling all season long.

Everyone here wants Zach to succeed. We are all jets fans. We all want the same thing. If Zach turns out to be pat mahomes ill become his biggest supporter. And so would all the other “haters”. It just doesn’t look very promising right now.

also JD gets blame, Saleh gets blame. The defense gets blame. The Wrs get blame. But ZW was the 2nd overall pick. All eyes are on him. And as of right now, I am not impressed.

This is a reasonable take and I greatly respect this. I talked myself into the Zach pick right before it happened.

Yes, it doesnt look very promising but wanting to jettison our 1st round pick after 9 games is ridiculous, which is what a good vocal 33.7% of the board wants to do. 

I want to see Zach play with at least 50% of his starting offense at least once. That isnt much to ask for. I believe ultimately in treating the root cause of the issue (JD), not the symptoms. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He threw one straight at Demario Davis' chest.

Oh I forgot the drops only count when they're from Jets. 

He threw one straight at Demario Davis' chest? Lmao.Yeah a bad throw bullet that deflected off his chest. Seen it many times, even from the great NFL Qbs but definitly cut Zach right? He's definitly a bust. Expecting a rookie QB to be successful without his top five weapons, multiple drops out the gate and penalties that stopped any momentum building?. This all in a season where we are starting first and second-year players, many who were not expected to play even close to this much , or were picked up off of other teams practice squads, who are learning on the fly. Why isn't Zach Wilson good every game? I mean we must be doing something so wrong considering all the other rookie quarterbacks are basking in success, no ? Some of you guys have the poise of hysrerical elementary school kids.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Copernicus said:

He threw one straight at Demario Davis' chest? Lmao.Yeah a bad throw bullet that deflected off his chest. Seen it many times, even from the great NFL Qbs but definitly cut Zach right? He's definitly a bust. Expecting a rookie QB to be successful without his top five weapons, multiple drops out the gate and penalties that stopped any momentum building?. This all in a season where we are starting first and second-year players, many who were not expected to play even close to this much , or were picked up off of other teams practice squads, who are learning on the fly. Why isn't Zach Wilson good every game? I mean we must be doing something so wrong considering all the other rookie quarterbacks are basking in success, no ? Some of you guys have the poise of hysrerical elementary school kids.

Demented post.

He was statistically the worst QB with all of those weapons. You're struggling to grasp reality my guy. He's was exceptionally bad today and has been exceptionally bad all season. 

27 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

He was successful last week, gutted out a win on the road against the Texans after coming off a major knee injury that sidelined him for multiple weeks. Before you criticize the win against the lowly Texans ask Jaguar fans if they'd trade most of Lawrence's performances for the progress of ANY gutzy road win. Zach struggled today with ZERO help from his recievers and rbs who had multiple drops right out the gate. Expecting your rookie QB to carry the team when they dont even come close to doing thier own jobs?. My god, our receivers were awful, dreadful, and did ZERO to help and compounded this with multiple drops and penlties to stop any momentum and drives yet somehow this game was close into the 3d quarter. 

Cut Zach!!!! Some of you guys are like hysterical school kids

Please explain his inaccuracy for the entire season.  His WR are not acrobats and BTW the thee pass he threw to TJ, two were behind him.= one he had to almost stop and the other hit him in the right shoulder pad while running right... 9 pts. 200 yrds QBR around 59%... while you're answering the initial question how about answering this one too:  Is any good QB supposed to elevate the players around him? Just asking? 

Finally, he has his own QBC and still looks lost, has trouble going through his progressions and his decision making is well ... you fill in the blanks.  I hope he gets better but indicators are that he may not... 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Ding.... Ding..... Ding!!!

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

9 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

It's not just this game.

Zach has had few bright spots this season and has put a lot of bad football on tape.

Darnold had a better rookie year with an inferior offense around him. That's saying something. 

Wilson is missing easy throws and open receivers routinely.

This isn't week two. I think it's fair to start questioning the decision. 

As it stands right now, kid needs to take a massive, massive jump to be a mediocre starter in this league. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Perspective:
Playing QB well in the NFL is incredibly difficult to do. There are 32 NFL teams and only about 15 to 20 people on the planet who can play QB well - not great, just well.
100% true

And unless things change the kid doesn't look like one of the 20 aforementioned people.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It's  pretty well known I wanted Fields. I was even told by @Mogglez to become a Bears fan. That said I'm not sure if we would be any better with Fields but at least Fields doesn't  seem this inaccurate.

I was told the same thing by the same person. Fields issues when I have watched him have to do with getting the ball out quicker (which was the same criticism of him coming out). He's still struggling with that, but it is improving little by little. That being said, his accuracy has been solid when I've watched him and he is playing in an offense that is a bad fit for his skillset (unlike Wilson, who we were continuously told was a perfect fit for the Shanahan offense). 

The other thing about Fields is that since he has been out, the offense has continued to be just as bad with Andy Dalton (unlike the Jets where every other QB on the roster has outperformed Wilson in the same offense). 

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It's not just this game.

Zach has had few bright spots this season and has put a lot of bad football on tape.

Darnold had a better rookie year with an inferior offense around him. That's saying something. 

Wilson is missing easy throws and open receivers routinely.

This isn't week two. I think it's fair to start questioning the decision. 

As it stands right now, kid needs to take a massive, massive jump to be a mediocre starter in this league. 

Darnold and Geno (who both suck) looked better at this stage of their rookie seasons than Wilson has. Let that sync in. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

He has the tools but he is way too raw to be running an NFL offense with any consistency. He needs competition in the pre-season. The Jets have shown time and time again that they have no idea what they are doing, and it doesn't matter who the GM is. How many more QBs will this franchise ruin?

There is no preseason anymore. In 3 games he’ll be lucky to play 4 full quarters. NFL QBs learn on the job

unfortunately it's still too early to tell.  when all facets of the team are performing then it's possible to really take a hard look at the qb.  the jets are always having major trouble somewhere.  as for a vet qb, just who?  it's doubtful the jets would pay any vet much more than 10 milion.  there aren't many vinny's out there who can come in and be successful.

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

unfortunately it's still too early to tell.  when all facets of the team are performing then it's possible to really take a hard look at the qb.  the jets are always having major trouble somewhere.  as for a vet qb, just who?  it's doubtful the jets would pay any vet much more than 10 milion.  there aren't many vinny's out there who can come in and be successful.

There are a bunch of decent qb free agents this off-season. Jacoby brissett, Jameis Winston, teddy bridgewater, tyrod Taylor, Mitch trubisky , nick foles. 

also could trade a 3 or 4 for jimmy G.

one of those guys should be brought in to compete/ push Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

There are a lot more indications that he will be bad than there are that he will be good.

I appreciate everyone desperately wants him to succeed but at some point you have to accept the reality of what you're seeing. What we're hoping for with Zach is almost unprecedented improvement for a modern NFL QB. That is not a good position to be in for a GM and coach who really can't afford another season like this one.

Unless you’re a QB coach, your guess is as good as mine. I know we’ve seen this movie may too many times with finding a FQB but the truth is we as fans have to simply wait. In 2 years from know we’re either looking back saying boy we’re we worried for no reason,or we’re complaining about just how inept the new GM, head coach and newly drafted QB all are.

patience. I hope you’re wrong.

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Here’s where I stand on Zach Wilson.

1.  I didn’t want him.  I think I said something to the effect last October that I “wouldn’t touch him with a 10 foot pole.”

2.  The Jets drafted him, so I’ll support him.  

3.  I didn’t think they should have started him this year. It’s steep learning curve from the MWC to the NFL.  STEEP.  Plus I never will agree that the great QBs can just be plopped in anywhere and be great.  Plopping in a player who needs seasoning to an awful team is generally a recipe for disaster.

4. I’ll try to be balanced and point out good and bad.

5.  There has been much more area of concern than signs of hope.

6.  He’s improved, significantly, in reading defenses and taking unnecessary chances.  

7.  He suffered an injury that can impact throwing mechanics.  He has other big issues with mechanics, and I haven’t watched early in the season to compare so could be way off, but I can tell for sure now that he is not driving off his drive leg like he should.  He’s all torso most throws.

8.  I wouldn’t give up on him.  Challenge him.  Make him compete and make him have to get better.

Here, here!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish Jet said:

I'd be shocked if we don't bring in a Bridgewater or Garoppolo type to compete next year. I think that's the smart play. If Zach improves enough then he plays but if not Douglas and Saleh can at least see what the rest of the roster can do while having a chance of competing. 

If given a REAL chance, either one of those guys beats out Zack Wilson.  By a mile.

Can’t think of a better way to ruin the kid than what JD planned for him. 

yes, coach Knapp was part of that plan and that was tragic and obviously unpredictable, but just throwing him out there, ready or not, with very young first time OC and an offense that  is notoriously difficult to install with no veteran (JJ doesn’t count ) is incomprehensible and professional malfeasance 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I kept selling myself on excuses for why Mark couldn’t move the ball we needed him to. 

On Geno etc.

on Darnold etc. 

On Wilson etc. 

I was sold on his “lightning fast processor”. Guy is throwing NO ONE open. 

There is so much invested by GMs and HCs that they won't allow themselves to see that a mistake has been made.   They just plod on through and fail some more.  Right now?   Wilson looks worse than the names you mentioned, who were each disasters in their own way.  The future for us does not look great.