Where do you stand on ZW?

Where do you stand concerning Zach Wilson  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Did you want to draft Zach Wilson @ #2 overall

2. 2. Do you think Zach Wilson is a franchise qb?

• Yes
    • No
    • It’s still early but I have faith he will become a very good qb
    • It’s still early but I’m very concerned with what I see
  3. 3. Should JD bring in a veteran next year to compete with ZW

4. 4. Would you move on from Zach Wilson

• No. it’s too early to tell and he needs more time
    • I’d Move on. I’ve seen enough

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Can’t think of a better way to ruin the kid than what JD planned for him. 

yes, coach Knapp was part of that plan and that was tragic and obviously unpredictable, but just throwing him out there, ready or not, with very young first time OC and an offense that  is notoriously difficult to install with no veteran (JJ doesn’t count ) is incomprehensible and professional malfeasance 

We are gonna need a bigger Wilson excuse Twister mat.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I'd be shocked if we don't bring in a Bridgewater or Garoppolo type to compete next year. I think that's the smart play. If Zach improves enough then he plays but if not Douglas and Saleh can at least see what the rest of the roster can do while having a chance of competing. 

I think I'd be afraid if we brought in Jimmy G.  I'm still hoping either:

A) Zach turns it around and looks like a FQB (even though, right now, it doesn't feel like it's possible)

B ) The Jets go 0-17 and are in position to draft Bryce Young.

Jimmy G would bring meaningless wins on a non-solid foundation (journeyman QB).

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

man, step off 

I'm done with listening to excuses. Davis Mills is doing more with less in HOU. In fact everyone is. NE has debatably surrounded Mac Jones with less talent at times this year.

Zach has been total horsesh*t... problem is some of you thought he was going to wake up and play NFL football after playing in a lawn chair last year.

Seriously.

There’s a very simple question here, that cuts through all the bullsh*t, and all the excuses…

Does Zach Wilson make good throws?

The answer to that is overwhelmingly no.

We get it, the team stinks, the team is hurt, etc. But when Wilson drops back to pass, far more often then not, he doesn’t throw the ball accurately or on time.  Who’s running the routes and who’s catching or dropping the ball is irrelevant to that.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Perspective:

Playing QB well in the NFL is incredibly difficult to do. There are 32 NFL teams and only about 15 to 20 people on the planet who can play QB well - not great, just well.

Agreed.  All the more reason to assume that the guy who isn’t doing it well is closer to the billions of people on this planet who can’t, as opposed to the 20 that can.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Great, Lawrence sucks, too.    I agree.   It does not change that Wilson looks horrible.  And not on complex issues.  Simple stuff like hitting wide open receivers, shorting throws, sailing balls, and generally making awful decisions.   IMO, the Wilson pick was a huge mistake and will set this franchise back another 2-3 years if we stick with him.

I get what you're saying about the picking Wilson was a huge mistake, but so far, neither of Lawrence, Fields, Lance or Wilson are looking good so far. Granted, not all are regularly missing 4 yard passes.

Sticking Darnold didn't seem like a viable option (I remember being infuriated last year by the number of open receivers being missed and all the ints). We've been hearing since last year how weak this year's QB class was going to be. Where does that leave us? Going with Foles? Dalton? Trading away the draft for Watson (with the possible suspension)?

I'm not sure there is evidence of a winning scenario.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I'd be shocked if we don't bring in a Bridgewater or Garoppolo type to compete next year. I think that's the smart play. If Zach improves enough then he plays but if not Douglas and Saleh can at least see what the rest of the roster can do while having a chance of competing. 

Why would this shock you?  Zach is currently the 4th best QB on this roster, and he’s still starting.  Why would you think they’d bring in someone meaningfully better?

9 minutes ago, fastmover said:

I see a Qb that the game is still moving too fast for, which is messing up his internal clock.  He’s inconsistent because of it.  He has periods where he’s in sync and periods he’s out of sync.  I’m waiting for it to all slow down for him. 

Semper Fi

Gonna be waiting a long time.

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

A) Zach turns it around and looks like a FQB (even though, right now, it doesn't feel like it's possible)

0-17 or anything within 5 wins of that sees Douglas, Saleh and Wilson out the door. I'm not saying I necessarily want Jimmy G but everyone in this organisation desperately needs to start playing some competitive games. We are pushing for the worst points differential in the league for the second season in a row and are only behind the intentionally tanking Houston Texans - I don't think people realise how impressively bad that is in a league designed for parity. It highlights how much of a failure Douglas has really been. 

Garoppolo or Bridgewater at least give their teams a chance to be good in the right situation. They'll let people evaluate the roster Douglas has put together and see whether his work is worth persisting with or not. I don't anyone is suggesting either guy as a long term starter - They'll not get that position anywhere anymore as every team is constantly looking for that franchise QB. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Icer said:

I was done with Darnold and ready to take a shot at a new QB. Of the guys available at #2 (I wanted Lawrence, still do), he was the one I'd pick but I had reservations. He hasn't done anything on the field all that well except for a few breakdown plays against the TItans, and I feel much worse about him than I did about Darnold at this point in their careers.

I don't think he's going to be here after JD and Saleh get axed in a few years, but I still think he should play--not just in the short term but next year as well. People want to bring up Rosen, but there's no Kyler Murray waiting in the wings for us. 

While there may be no Kyler Murray waiting for us it doesn’t mean you can’t move on from a QB that you determine to be a bust.

Also after seeing the major struggles of sure thing Trevor Lawrence, who knows what these QBs will actually be once they get into an NFL game.  

5 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Why would this shock you?  Zach is currently the 4th best QB on this roster, and he’s still starting.  Why would you think they’d bring in someone meaningfully better?

Because their jobs depend on it. I think having a QB controversy is much less appealing when the alternative is White or Flacco. I don't think they want to get tied down to them long term either.

I think Wilson is much worse than anyone could have expected and I think they viewed it as a free hit where he can develop. Next year they will not be afforded that. If he's playing like this every week heads will roll. 

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

He’s looking worse the Darnold so far, do you think we have a chance at Arch Manning or will his grand dad refuse the Jets?

Just ran some numbers, because why not...

Darnold after 9 games: 159 / 289 (55%) for 1934 yards (6.7 YPA), 11 TDs & 14 ints
Wilson after 9 games: 141 / 243 (58%) for 1,539 yards (6.3 YPA), 6 TDs & 11 ints

Darnold may have been better after 9 games, though honestly, it's a low bar...

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

He’s looking worse the Darnold so far, do you think we have a chance at Arch Manning or will his grand dad refuse the Jets?

The Jets will use up another Top 5 pick on another "generational" QB talent before Arch Manning enters the draft, so this won't be an issue.

10 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Just ran some numbers, because why not...

Darnold after 9 games: 159 / 289 (55%) for 1934 yards (6.7 YPA), 11 TDs & 14 ints
Wilson after 9 games: 141 / 243 (58%) for 1,539 yards (6.3 YPA), 6 TDs & 11 ints

Darnold may have been better after 9 games, though honestly, it's a low bar...

Unless Zach starts showing out over the next 4 games, the year end stats are going to show a much greater disparity.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, xJayce said:

I get what you're saying about the picking Wilson was a huge mistake, but so far, neither of Lawrence, Fields, Lance or Wilson are looking good so far. Granted, not all are regularly missing 4 yard passes.

Sticking Darnold didn't seem like a viable option (I remember being infuriated last year by the number of open receivers being missed and all the ints). We've been hearing since last year how weak this year's QB class was going to be. Where does that leave us? Going with Foles? Dalton? Trading away the draft for Watson (with the possible suspension)?

I'm not sure there is evidence of a winning scenario.

Many of us advocated for trading down, drafting a talent like Chase or Pitts, keeping Sam another year and see what happens.

Moving on from Darnold looked like it was the right call after he imploded this year. But at this point a few weeks later, moving onto Zach seems like the bigger mistake.  

• Post of the Week 2

23 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Many of us advocated for trading down, drafting a talent like Chase or Pitts, keeping Sam another year and see what happens.

Moving on from Darnold looked like it was the right call after he imploded this year. But at this point a few weeks later, moving onto Zach seems like the bigger mistake.  

I definitely was not a fan of sticking with Darnold (I can't remember which game it was, but Sam had been struggling earlier in the season, and then he had a game with 4 ints at one point in 2020 I believe, I and was done).

I liked the trade down option. but I was happier starting with a new QB. I was really on the fence from everything I had been hearing about Wilson (not liked, only one good year, very poor competition, etc). Maybe both options were possible (trading back and picking another QB), but management felt they had their FQB sitting at #2.

Just unfortunate that said new QB has so much ramp up required to be considered "barely acceptable".

11 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Yeah, I remember Sam showing some promise in the last few games after returning from injury.

Darnold actually had the Highest QB Rating in the NFL over that small sample size of the last 4 games of his Rookie year.

Was a big tease and had me giving full support until it became apparent that he is not even a starting QB in this league.

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

Since 2009, there have been 39 rookie QBs who have started at least 9 games.  Looking at all their stats after 9, Zach ranks

• 34th in passer rating (65.6)
  • 32nd in Yards per Attempt (6.1)
  • 36th in TD % (2.1%)
  • 31st in Int % (3.9%)
  • 28th in completion % (56%)

Other guys who are consistently ranked in the bottom 10 with Wilson:

Geno Smith
Blake Bortles
Josh Freeman
Josh Rosen
Matthew Stafford
Josh Allen
Blaine Gabbert
Jimmy Clausen
DeShone Kizer

I want him to be good.  I am rooting for him every week.  But he has not been.  Deck was stacked against him today, but when he had time, and open receivers, he was inaccurate.  Better decision making, but bad inaccurate throws. 

9 games in, the book is not written, but most of the guys who have performed at same level as Zach are not starting caliber QBs.  This is what I fear Wilson will be.  Hope I am wrong.

So we gotta hope we beats the odds. And is an outlier. Easy. 

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Seriously.

There’s a very simple question here, that cuts through all the bullsh*t, and all the excuses…

Does Zach Wilson make good throws?

The answer to that is overwhelmingly no.

We get it, the team stinks, the team is hurt, etc. But when Wilson drops back to pass, far more often then not, he doesn’t throw the ball accurately or on time.  Who’s running the routes and who’s catching or dropping the ball is irrelevant to that.

I also think it’s weird that we’re like seven months into this process and Wilson is still allergic staying in the pocket. 

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Yeah what people fail to understand is sticking with Darnold another year even if it was a mistake was not putting all your eggs in the Darnold basket, It would have been easy to move on from him after the year and you would either have Chase, Pitts, or a sh*t load of picks from trading down.  A failed Darnold would have been a far better situation then wasting 3 years on a bust which IMO was a high likely hood.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

You can’t waste the draft capital on a bust and have the Pats grab a quality starter 14 picks later and survive.   Saleh and Douglas both need to go if Zach can’t be salvaged.   The rebuild through the draft depends on successfully drafting.  

JD survives if he drafts another 4-5 players like he did this year. 

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Time for Jets to go big for a $$$ vet QB if/when Wilson busts. Can draft one too if the team wants but enough is enough. If you can’t build it, buy it.

2 hours ago, undertow said:

Yeah what people fail to understand is sticking with Darnold another year even if it was a mistake was not putting all your eggs in the Darnold basket, It would have been easy to move on from him after the year and you would either have Chase, Pitts, or a sh*t load of picks from trading down.  A failed Darnold would have been a far better situation then wasting 3 years on a bust which IMO was a high likely hood.  

Again: then you get nothing for Darnold in trade.

The move was to trade Darnold and bring in a vet/sacrificial lamb for 2021 @Jetsfan80

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, jgb said:

Time for Jets to go big for a $$$ vet QB if/when Wilson busts. Can draft one too if the team wants but enough is enough. If you can’t build it, buy it.

Again: then you get nothing for Darnold in trade.

The move was to trade Darnold and bring in a vet/sacrificial lamb for 2021 @Jetsfan80

Yeah that would have turned out to be the best decision but I think keeping Darnold and not getting a 2nd and 4th is still a far better situation then we are in now....I mean unless WIlson develops into a top ten QB which right now is a 100-1 shot.  We made the worst possible choice imo.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, undertow said:

Yeah that would have turned out to be the best decision but I think keeping Darnold and not getting a 2nd and 4th is still a far better situation then we are in now....I mean unless WIlson develops into a top ten QB which right now is a 100-1 shot.  We made the worst possible choice imo.

We did make the worst choice. Keeping Darnold would’ve been 2nd worse, though.