Different perspective

Phillyjet

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Which is sort of weird because one of his strengths in college and even preseason was throwing balls at the proper pace. Likely a function of his grip it and rip it mentality. I think he will get there eventually. He's a rhythm guy we should be running more up tempo stuff with him. Also the swing pass was one of his weaknesses in college so we are not "protecting" him but trying to get him to throw a lot of those. He should be throwing outside the numbers way more often. Unlike what we were told in the offseason the "Shanahan" offense does not seem to be a great fit. He would be better in a Norv Turner style offense.

Lol….you think it’s the system?  You ran around all winter telling us how great Zach is going to be because he’s already played in THIS system in college.   Now he needs a Norv Turner offense?   When you are throwing lawn darts to RBs 10 yards away and have no feel or touch it’s not the system.   He has issues he needs to work out regardless of the system.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Lol….you think it’s the system?  You ran around all winter telling us how great Zach is going to be because he’s already played in THIS system in college.   Now he needs a Norv Turner offense?   When you are throwing lawn darts to RBs 10 yards away and have no feel or touch it’s not the system.   He has issues he needs to work out regardless of the system.  

Isn't it the same (or pretty similar to) the offense he ran at BYU?

10 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Isn't it the same (or pretty similar to) the offense he ran at BYU?

They switched to the outside zone scheme in 2020.   Pretty similar to the Jets current version.  People credited that to Zach’s improvement from 2019.   Now, apparently the system isn’t good for him anymore.   

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Serious question:

What does Zach do well?

At least with Darnold you could hang your hopes on a few things like mobility and making plays off script. 

What has ZW demonstrated that we should glean as a building block?

Handoffs? No fumbles? That's about it.

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Generally guys don’t become more accurate.  You can increase arm strength in the NFL but accuracy issues are typically tough to fix.  Allen is an anomaly, it’s rare to make that kind of leap.   He also posses elite traits.  His arm strength and athleticism are both elite.   He is also 6’5” 240 pounds.   He plays the QB position very different than Zach.  

Just amazing this cursed team.

They draft this kid and everything on tape is a nice tight spiral with zip on it and extremely accurate.  Something that is rarely seen out of him throughout the entire season.

Accuracy issues are almost impossible to fix at the highest level.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Serious question:

What does Zach do well?

At least with Darnold you could hang your hopes on a few things like mobility and making plays off script. 

What has ZW demonstrated that we should glean as a building block?

This is the thing.  We saw more out of Darnold than we see out of Wilson and I would argue with the same quality of weapons.  This is a bad omen.  

This is why I’m firmly off the Zach Wilson train.  I will gladly eat crow if he does a complete 180.  I want him to succeed.  The last thing I want for this team is to waste another 3 years only to see another QB fail however.  

I get it.  He will be here next year even though I think the writing is on the wall now.  I’m not a scout and don’t see him in practice so I will let them be the judge.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

As clowns like you tell us how relevant it is that even DBs can't catch his passes. When anyone that knows football should know that DBs are not WRs because they can't catch. But carry in with your irrelevance and dumb contradictions.

I can understand why you would feel it's other's fault that you lack basic reading comprehension.

Yes, him repeatedly throwing the ball where absolutely no one on the entire field has any chance to catch it is in fact a very slight improvement.  That reality is also an extraordinarily sad state of affairs, and in turn a complete indictment of Wilson, as I said from the beginning.

It certainly makes sense that would result in you having a complete meltdown for Wilson not being carried off on everyone's shoulders as ever-so-slightly less incompetent.

9 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

It's hard not to look at yesterday's game in a nutshell and be dispirited.  The accuracy issues that we saw from Wilson were certainly concerning.  But I offer a different perspective, and it's not one that necessarily still believes he is the savior.   Rather, coming into this game I thought it would be an interesting one from a developmental perspective.  No WR1, WR2, RB1, RB2, TE1.  What would he do?  Any QB would be in a difficult spot with that.  

He was a jittery rookie for sure; but he didn't seem overwhelmed.  The Saints DBs were all over his players.  Mims sh*t the bed.  The other guys couldn't get open.  And there were drops everywhere.  Yet, for all of that, Zach did not press.  I wished he would have gone to a hurry up a little earlier to try to get into a rhythm, but that's on LaFleur to realize that he's got to change it up when they came out flat.  But instead, he chose to play it close... did not press.  I actually thought that was a step forward.  Every qb has games like that, and recognizing that, he soldiered through.  Early in the season, this would have been a 4 INT game.  Would also have been nice to see the defense grab an INT or big play. We can count on one hand the number of turnovers by the defense this year over the course of 13 games.  Never seen that before in 40 years watching the game.   And we've had some bad teams. 

Now next week, we are likely to see the same (no weapons) but now he's faced the undermanned situation, I don't expect him to be as jittery.  We'll see.  I see this as an important spot in his development.  How does he bounce back?  We'll see.  But I don't think it's worth lurching to "he sucks" every time he has a bad game.  Let him take his lumps.  Let's see where he's at by the end of the year, and then how he enters year 2 with more weapons.  I just sense this feels a bit different.  He has the yips right now and has to work through them.  He doesn't feel like Darnold... maybe I'll be wrong... but I think Zach is going to be fine.   He is learning the ropes of the NFL, and I see some important development even during sh*tty weeks.  I would not be shocked to see a huge jump out of him coming into year 2.   How good, we'll find out over the next 12 months.   I think it's more likely he has a big jump than continues to regress.  

tend to agree but it was also about the worst loss of the whole season.  granted wilson was without davis, carter, and moore and of the rest only berrios and crowder are reliable but that just means the qb has to throw it where the wr can catch it and wilson missed many bunny throws not to mention the drops.  no telling what happens if he gets in some kind of a rhythm.  it would force the defense to play more honestly.  and just where was mims?  this guy is just not getting it.