Players calling out Rhule in Carolina

jetstream23

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Right?

Zach Wilson may be god awful but at least after watching Darnold suck for three years the NFL level we didn't double down and pay him more. Wilson at least had a chance to be good.

You bite your tongue sir.  According to @kelticwizard and @Uncle Nicco it's still too early to give up on Darnold.  

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Typical SOJ fan. Find a guy in the draft the Jets passed on who is succeeding and repeat year after year how the GM blew it by not drafting him.  Great insight. By the way, Claypool has regressed.  He's not looking like the next Jerry Rice.  Moore was having a better season, but that doesn't fit the narrative.  

Typical delusional nonsense. Portraying every critique as some innate pessimism when fans like you are part of why the franchise is in the state it’s in. Always clutching for positives no matter how much it conflicts with reality. No standards, no problems. You are Woody Johnson’s dream customer.

This reflex some have to defend Joe Douglas is nothing short of weird. By and objective measure he is failing miserably at his job and still some speak of him as a saviour. The David Koresh of Jetnation. You would have been defending Adams over Mahomes no doubt. 11 f*cking years without a playoff spot. 5-24 over the last two years. Worst points differential in football in that time. And still the sheep balk at any criticism of their master as if this whole operation anything other than a catastrophe.

Claypool doesn’t have to look like Jerry Rice. Heck looking like Justin Mccareins would be enough to put Mims to shame. He can’t play. He doesn’t play. He will be out of football soon. Imagine criticising a bad gm for bad picks. Imagine having to point to one of the few good picks he’s made to defend the absolute washout that was the 2020 draft, a draft that looks absolutely stocked with elite talent not even two years in. It’s just pathetic. 

And how is Tristan Wirfs looking btw? Has he regressed?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Typical delusional nonsense. Portraying every critique as some innate pessimism when fans like you are part of why the franchise is in the state it’s in. Always clutching for positives no matter how much it conflicts with reality. No standards, no problems. You are Woody Johnson’s dream customer.

This reflex some have to defend Joe Douglas is nothing short of weird. By and objective measure he is failing miserably at his job and still some speak of him as a saviour. The David Koresh of Jetnation. You would have been defending Adams over Mahomes no doubt. 11 f*cking years without a playoff spot. 5-24 over the last two years. Worst points differential in football in that time. And still the sheep balk at any criticism of their master as if this whole operation anything other than a catastrophe.

Claypool doesn’t have to look like Jerry Rice. Heck looking like Justin Mccareins would be enough to put Mims to shame. He can’t play. He doesn’t play. He will be out of football soon. Imagine criticising a bad gm for bad picks. Imagine having to point to one of the few good picks he’s made to defend the absolute washout that was the 2020 draft, a draft that looks absolutely stocked with elite talent not even two years in. It’s just pathetic. 

And how is Tristan Wirfs looking btw? Has he regressed?

You obviously hate your life and your mother didn't breast feed you causing lifelong psychological trauma. That's why you can't see the positives about a sports balls team.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Possibly. Although one basic issue this roster has is that it is littered with rookies. 

I really think, regardless of what we do in the draft, that we need a major spending spree in free agency. We need quality veterans who know how to prepare and play in the NFL. This team consistently looks out of position and makes stupid mistakes at an alarming rate. 

No matter what he do in the draft, we need a big FA period. 

I don't disagree. Among those veterans, he'll have to make a move of some type for a veteran QB no matter how much he liked (or still likes) Wilson. Barring a miraculous accuracy turnaround over the last 4 games he clearly can't just bet the whole season on Wilson starting every game. 

It'll be interesting to see if he still stays his planned course and is conservative in FA. A GM who's been hoarding this many draft picks - specifically, so many high picks in this upcoming draft - doesn't typically seek to add a handful of expensive FA starters a month before that draft.

But this team really sucks, so I would hope he doesn't sign us up for another season of too many too-green starters.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't disagree. Among those veterans, he'll have to make a move of some type for a veteran QB no matter how much he liked (or still likes) Wilson. Barring a miraculous accuracy turnaround over the last 4 games he clearly can't just bet the whole season on Wilson starting every game. 

It'll be interesting to see if he still stays his planned course and is conservative in FA. A GM who's been hoarding this many draft picks - specifically, so many high picks in this upcoming draft - doesn't typically seek to add a handful of expensive FA starters a month before that draft.

But this team really sucks, so I would hope he doesn't sign us up for another season of too many too-green starters.

He also shouldn't have bet this season on Wilson starting every game when guys like Trubisky/Minshew/Tyrod were essentially free in football terms. Very young team could've benefited from a stabilizing force when Wilson got hurt, which JD himself acknowledged with his desperado trade for Flacco. Too little, too late. Huge whiff.

I also -- and this isn't very woke -- think steel is forged in fire and when you mollycoddle your QB you often times end up with mush.

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

He also shouldn't have bet this season on Wilson starting every game when guys like Trubisky/Minshew/Tyrod were essentially free in football terms. Very young team could've benefited from a stabilizing force when Wilson got hurt, which JD himself acknowledged with his desperado trade for Flacco. Too little, too late. Huge whiff.

I also -- and this isn't very woke -- think steel is forged in fire and when you mollycoddle your QB you often times end up with mush.

It was some bad timing with Flacco. He wasn't going to get in in time to actually use him that first week. Then White has the game of his life from out of nowhere. Then Flacco gets covid. Lol.

No argument from me that going into the season with just Wilson plus the winner of the White/Morgan battle was dereliction of duty. What GM heads into the season with zero QBs who've thrown a pass in an NFL game, let alone with a first time OC and other first year coaches and what'll be a lot of young players (if not a lot of rookies) all over the place? A veteran QB can be a serious stabilizing force for a young team, even if he's not all that on the field (or not all that anymore). 

For his own reasons he had his heart set on Flacco in a QB2+QBC+mentor role. Well if you've got your heart set on it then do it; don't pussyfoot around over a couple million while your starting QB is in the 7-figure range, and instead end up with nothing. I could've also seen him go with Beathard or Mullins if he wanted to go super-cheap, just because of familiarity with the offense.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It was some bad timing with Flacco. He wasn't going to get in in time to actually use him that first week. Then White has the game of his life from out of nowhere. Then Flacco gets covid. Lol.

No argument from me that going into the season with just Wilson plus the winner of the White/Morgan battle was dereliction of duty. What GM heads into the season with zero QBs who've thrown a pass in an NFL game, let alone with a first time OC and other first year coaches and what'll be a lot of young players (if not a lot of rookies) all over the place? A veteran QB can be a serious stabilizing force for a young team, even if he's not all that on the field (or not all that anymore). 

For his own reasons he had his heart set on Flacco in a QB2+QBC+mentor role. Well if you've got your heart set on it then do it; don't pussyfoot around over a couple million while your starting QB is in the 7-figure range, and instead end up with nothing. I could've also seen him go with Beathard or Mullins if he wanted to go super-cheap, just because of familiarity with the offense.

People make mistakes and even though this one was pretty glaring, let's see/hope JD learned from this one and solidifies his QB plan for 2022.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

People make mistakes and even though this one was pretty glaring, let's see/hope JD learned from this one and solidifies his QB plan for 2022.

I don't think it's that uncommon with a lot of lesser-experienced GMs. If they're not going overboard with veterans, like Maccagnan, they're trying to be too frugal to keep other options open, like Idzik and in some cases like this, Douglas. 

As they do this longer they get a better appreciation for how to achieve this balance. And as they do it for longer and the team is underperforming for longer, I'd think they're less likely to err on the frugal side just in the interest of self-preservation. 

Douglas doesn't seem totally Idzik on the anti-spending front. His problem is more that most of those he spends on have either been terrible mistakes, or they looked like terrible mistakes initially. The latter can be due to coaching, playing next to incompetents, or both. Or perhaps last year, less familiarity with a new team (bad players were even worse in Sept-Oct than Nov-Dec). e.g. Fant  at $9MM per looked like a ridiculous hedge - with a lot of risk - when the opportunity was there to get a far more proven, serious star, starting tackle instead (Conklin) for $4MM more. And after 1 year the decision looked even worse. Now this year? It seems he's just better-suited for LT. Despite his size he's not a punishing run blocker, and maybe he's just more comfortable sliding to his left once he got his sea legs back under him.

However it ended up, I'm not one to do dirty things to a gift horse's mouth. 29 year-old starting left tackle for $9MM, have him again for an un-guaranteed $9MM next year, with ample opportunity to extend beyond that for age 31+ -- I'll take it. And whether it's Becton or someone else, the task of filling the other tackle job is that much easier, and less costly (whether in dollars or in draft position).

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Let’s face it the Joe Brady hype was out of hand though and his expectations in the NFL a bit unrealistic.  Let’s look at the offense he coached at LSU.

Joe Burrow

Ja’Marr Chase

Justin Jefferson

Terrance Marshall

Clyde Edwards-Helair

Lloyd Cushenberry

Saahdiq Charles 

Thaddeus Moss

I’m probably missing some others, but it’s not like he took a roster full of a average talent and coached them up   That team was as loaded as we have seen in recent memory   

absolutely true, I'm just pointing out the overreactionary nature of things around the NFL.. Things are usually not as great or as bad as common fan or media perception point them out to be.  Case in point Brady, one year he's the second coming, legitimately next year he's fired. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

absolutely true, I'm just pointing out the overreactionary nature of things around the NFL.. Things are usually not as great or as bad as common fan or media perception point them out to be.  Case in point Brady, one year he's the second coming, legitimately next year he's fired. 

It's about momentum though. String together a few good years in a row, you can survive the disaster year. Have one good year and one bad? Yeah, you're not going to get a lot of cover.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:38 AM, slimjasi said:

Possibly. Although one basic issue this roster has is that it is littered with rookies. 

I really think, regardless of what we do in the draft, that we need a major spending spree in free agency. We need quality veterans who know how to prepare and play in the NFL. This team consistently looks out of position and makes stupid mistakes at an alarming rate. 

No matter what he do in the draft, we need a big FA period. 

Would have been nice to reel in a top WR but that hinged on how well Zach was going to play and he sucks balls so looks like that's not happening. Unless we go back to my pipe dream of Aaron Rodgers and Davonte Adams which would probably turn our offense into a top five unit over night . On the realistic side of things at least the other 3 QB's we have showed that our offense could be very explosive when we were the number 1 offense in the NFL over a 4 week span when Zach was out due to Injury.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think it's that uncommon with a lot of lesser-experienced GMs. If they're not going overboard with veterans, like Maccagnan, they're trying to be too frugal to keep other options open, like Idzik and in some cases like this, Douglas. 

As they do this longer they get a better appreciation for how to achieve this balance. And as they do it for longer and the team is underperforming for longer, I'd think they're less likely to err on the frugal side just in the interest of self-preservation. 

Douglas doesn't seem totally Idzik on the anti-spending front. His problem is more that most of those he spends on have either been terrible mistakes, or they looked like terrible mistakes initially. The latter can be due to coaching, playing next to incompetents, or both. Or perhaps last year, less familiarity with a new team (bad players were even worse in Sept-Oct than Nov-Dec). e.g. Fant  at $9MM per looked like a ridiculous hedge - with a lot of risk - when the opportunity was there to get a far more proven, serious star, starting tackle instead (Conklin) for $4MM more. And after 1 year the decision looked even worse. Now this year? It seems he's just better-suited for LT. Despite his size he's not a punishing run blocker, and maybe he's just more comfortable sliding to his left once he got his sea legs back under him.

However it ended up, I'm not one to do dirty things to a gift horse's mouth. 29 year-old starting left tackle for $9MM, have him again for an un-guaranteed $9MM next year, with ample opportunity to extend beyond that for age 31+ -- I'll take it. And whether it's Becton or someone else, the task of filling the other tackle job is that much easier, and less costly (whether in dollars or in draft position).

Since Van Rotten was removed the Jets OL has played very well. It was going to take time with this new scheme and I said in the beginning of the year probably 6-8 games before they began to get it going but I really think Rotten had  to be removed to realize the full potential of this OL. That being said how do you say no to Moses or Fant for a guy like Becton ? He can't deal with speed rushers and so teams will rotate those guys to the right side to take advantage of that fact. There is also the fact he's injury prone and misses both snaps and extended time. If it were me I would keep all three and let Becton try and beat out one of the other two, unfortunately I don't see that panning out and its obvious to me Becton can't carry his huge frame on weak feet, ankles and knees.

• Upvote 1