Cimini questions Saleh about team progress

Rhg1084

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It was fine, imo. He’s given a few strange quotes when pressed this year. He’s a rookie and he’s performing about as well as his rookie QB

The only way to remain even slightly positive about this team is to believe in the "rookie" argument. The coach, QB, and a good chunk of the roster are all doing this for the first time and learning what being on the big stage is like and will be much better in year 2. Or something like that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

might be the worst coach this team has ever had-I thought kotite and gase had that wrapped up and I NEVER thought I would be saying this but Gase is a far superior coach and he was AWFUL

enough with the excuses too-we are not only team that is young or has injuries-we have been beat up by back up qbs and teams all over have been hurt with injuries but still compete and the better ones still win-cards were without hopkins edwards and murray for weeks.

the saints that just kicked our ass-lost their starting QB and never got their best wr in thomas to play a down this season

the eagles just beat us with the mustache 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 3

Eventually Cimini was going to ask something like this. 13 games in and nothing you can really point to that makes you think this team is headed in a positive direction. More than likely next years team will be seen as a last place, top 5 pick team again. Really have no idea what the organization is trying to do anymore. Winning doesnt seem important.

• Post of the Week 1

When was the last time the Jets hired a Head Coach with previous success in this league? And Gase doesn't count.

Parcells lol. It's ridiculous that this team constantly trots out rookie HC after rookie HC and never considers giving somebody with proven success in this league a chance.

And no, I don't want to fire Robert Saleh right now. But for once I would love to see this team hire a guy with a decent track record. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can't wait to see the press conferences if we lose to the Dolphins and Jags.

Why? Everything is gonna be the same lol. We're gonna lose. We're gonna look bad on defense, be up and down on offense. Not sure why anyone is expecting change at this point. It's week 15. This is what they are. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think Saleh was going to get into the injury factor but he knew that would be making an excuse so he backed off lol. 

They weren't winning when they were healthy either. This soft tissue stuff integrates in the culture. Starts on the front end with the draft analysis- deep dives into a players football character and how willing they are to play a little banged up. The first thing Parcells fixed was the conga line into the trainers room.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Why? Everything is gonna be the same lol. We're gonna lose. We're gonna look bad on defense, be up and down on offense. Not sure why anyone is expecting change at this point. It's week 15. This is what they are. 

Because the Jags are a disaster too.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Eventually Cimini was going to ask something like this. 13 games in and nothing you can really point to that makes you think this team is headed in a positive direction. More than likely next years team will be seen as a last place, top 5 pick team again. Really have no idea what the organization is trying to do anymore. Winning doesnt seem important.

Here’s how bad it is. 
Forget winning. I can’t even see this team being competitive within the division the next 5 years.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, kmnj said:

might be the worst coach this team has ever had-I thought kotite and gase had that wrapped up and I NEVER thought I would be saying this but Gase is a far superior coach and he was AWFUL

enough with the excuses too-we are not only team that is young or has injuries-we have been beat up by back up qbs and teams all over have been hurt with injuries but still compete and the better ones still win-cards were without hopkins edwards and murray for weeks.

the saints that just kicked our ass-lost their starting QB and never got their best wr in thomas to play a down this season

C'mon give Gase this roster and he might have lost 18 games already in a 17 game season. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

One of the reasons that it is hard to hire a HC with a proven track record is that they seldom are available.  Mike McCarthy is doing ok with the Cowboys right now-that is who the Jets should have hired.  Plenty of coaches who were “elevated” to the role are doing well or ok.  Staley, Matt Lafleur, McVay, Flores, McDermott, etc.  

There is no reason that Saleh should also not be successful.  His staff will need some tweaking.  Lafleur has really improved in calling a game, but I wonder how the position coaches are doing.  WR needs an upgrade.  OL looks better.

Saleh and Ulbrich have had success coaching defense.   It is a player defense not a scheme defense, which means they need players.   They should also integrate some new coaches-LB maybe?  Something.

JD has to do better at getting players.   His 2020 draft and 2021 FAs are just killing this team.

I do think that the players are dogging injuries too quick, and the Jets are already shutting players down for next year.   If the Jets were competitive, players would be playing through injuries.  hopefully the new training staff can get the players working ASAP to be in better shape next season and reduce the injuries.  But yes, Parcells attacked that first, and he was right.  

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

When was the last time the Jets hired a Head Coach with previous success in this league? And Gase doesn't count.

Parcells lol. It's ridiculous that this team constantly trots out rookie HC after rookie HC and never considers giving somebody with proven success in this league a chance.

And no, I don't want to fire Robert Saleh right now. But for once I would love to see this team hire a guy with a decent track record. 

How many head coaches with a proven track record have seriously pursued this job since Parcells? The team can't force people to come coach here and even paying a premium isn't enticing if a lousy roster is going to produce three losing seasons before being fired. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Larz said:

He’s only mad because they had woody convinced that progress didn’t matter this year lol

It's good that Woody and his brother were born into billions. They'd be homeless vagrants flashing diners through the windows from the street if they were born poor.

57 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Being a Jets fan means pining for the last disaster HC we all just ran out of town once we see the next blunderbuss Woody drags in. Should've kept effing Herm at this point.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

"We expected to be better at this stage, but myself, the rest of the staff and the players are not performing at the level we expected to by this stage and that starts with me as the head coach." Heaven forbid Saleh admits that he hasn't been Vince Lombardi up until now. 

That and $5 gets you a cup of coffee.  So what does that answer actually accomplish?  How does it make the team better?  I'm sure Saleh knows its been a bad year,  but his job isn't to make you feel better.  

15 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

How many head coaches with a proven track record have seriously pursued this job since Parcells? The team can't force people to come coach here and even paying a premium isn't enticing if a lousy roster is going to produce three losing seasons before being fired. 

Yeah but the Jets can at least pursue them. When they got rid of Bowles I really wanted Jim Caldwell. Some don't like him, and he's just an example, but there's a guy with a track record of at least winning football games in this league. We can pick apart his resume, or someone else's, but I'm just always tired of the same old approach with this team.

It's always the up and coming defensive coordinator. Always. 

51 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

and parcells had a 1-15 team in the AFC championship two years later-parcells was the only hire that made sense in the modern day jets 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

"We expected to be better at this stage, but myself, the rest of the staff and the players are not performing at the level we expected to by this stage and that starts with me as the head coach." Heaven forbid Saleh admits that he hasn't been Vince Lombardi up until now. 

Think you nailed it.  It really wasn't a difficult question. 

54 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

But for once I would love to see this team hire a guy with a decent track record. 

I hear Jets fans say stuff like this, but just to be clear most of the top head coaches in this league:

A) Are on their first stint as an NFL Head Coach (Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, Sean McVay, Sean McDermott, etc.)

B) Were fired in their first stint as an NFL HC for failing. (Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll)

There aren't many guys who are proven winners who are available. Andy Reid to the Chiefs is the only one I can think of in twenty years... And those guys can usually pick their gig. They don't want to come to a team that has a history of losing, is in the same division as Belichick and is 2nd in their own city.

If the Jets ever nail the HC hire it's going to be because we finally hit a HR with a first year HC. 

• Upvote 4