It’s not supposed to be like this

Green Ghost

7 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Watching games definitely isn’t fun anymore. It’s more for the comedic value in it at this point. 

Comedic value is a good choice of words. I’m laughing at things that used to bother me.
I was finding humor in watching our rookie QB and defense flounder around out there.

They just look hopeless.

• Upvote 1

I stay interested because I don't think this is going to be going on forever. It seems this is the first year the Johnsons are not meddling with the product. Not sure JD is the guy to be running the show but it seems there is at least some resemblance to a front office  for once. This is probably the closest I have seen since Dick Steinberg. It's just a shame we have to watch this clown show while they figure out how to get things right.  

• Upvote 3

Yeah, I had them on in the background and just felt amusement at how pitifully they played. Watching Zach throw the ball like it was a wayward balloon left me shaking my head in disbelief. I was wondering if he had some hidden injury that was screwing up his accuracy, but it didn't appear to be the case. Once Kamara got his sea legs, it was a bloodbath, as usual. At this point they are only watchable for comedic value. Although the rest of the season may enter the realm of Shakespearean tragedy.

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I stay interested because I don't think this is going to be going on forever. It seems this is the first year the Johnsons are not meddling with the product. Not sure JD is the guy to be running the show but it seems there is at least some resemblance to a front office  for once. This is probably the closest I have seen since Dick Steinberg. It's just a shame we have to watch this clown show while they figure out how to get things right.  

I applaud your optimism, Cowbell. 👍

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I’ve been watching this team longer than most of you. I go back to just before the ‘64 season. I remember being excited when the Jets took both Namath and John Huarte in that year’s draft. Both my dad and grandfather were Giant fans, but I decided to switch to the Jets… big move for a young boy, lol.

We all know the history of this team. Like a lot of you I held season tickets for years back when they played in Shea and then Giants Stadium (I still hate calling it that).

The last few years have been really bad, but for some reason this year is different. Maybe it’s because of what we just went through with Darnold, but I have no patience left for this team and Zach Wilson. I’m sick of watching this mess. The names change, the results don’t.

I watched yesterday, and to be completely honest, I took a perverse pleasure out of watching the Saints turn what was a close game into a blowout. Instead of rooting for the Jets to come back I found myself hoping/wanting to see a beat down. I’m not trying to be a d**k here, and this isn’t another “I’ve had it with this team” threads, I’m not going anywhere.
I can’t figure out if the Jets have made me hate them, or if I’m just not happy with the way they’re trying to rebuild?

I’m curious if I’m the only one who feels this way. It doesn’t make sense to turn on a game involving the team you rooted for all your life and wanting to see them get embarrassed. Like my thread title says, “it’s not supposed to be like this”, but for me it is. 

I haven’t watched near as long as you. But I posted almost the exact thing after the game yesterday. As miserable as that was to watch- they earned that final score.

It's really sad. It's the same thing every week. I can't remember the last game I was really invested in. I don't miss a game but when you know the team stinks and the season isn't going anywhere, and before you blink they are 1-5, wins and losses don't bother me as much.

Maybe the early games of the 2016 season was the last time I was really invested in this team the way I used to be. Because they were coming off a good season (loss at Buffalo aside) and there were some expectations. 

I yearn for the days of Doug Brien missing FG's in the divisional round in Pittsburgh. 

I have had another recent thought that actually explains much of what is happening with the Jets now.  

The Jets experienced some success during the first 10 years of the Johnson Regime due to the foundation laid by Parcells, some good draft picks by Mangini and moves by Tannenbaum, combined the fact that many of the NFL teams had older ownership that was not really capable.

Today, in their division alone the Jets have to compete against BB and Kraft Patriots, a Pegula Bills who got their act together and the Ross owned Dolphins.   Look at all of the other NFL teams that have found decent QBs and draft picks.   The Jets have to be excellent just to keep up.

A good GM can make substantial progress with a team in 2 off seasons.   JD’s problem is that of 2 drafts and 2 FA classes, only 1 of each were in any way decent or additive.  So he basically needs to hit a home run on both in 2022 just to move the team forward.  Will he be able to do that?  Do the Johnsons let him?  

The better answer to me would be for the Johnsons to sell the team and let someone else figure it out.  The Johnsons seem to be the common denominator.  

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I’ve been watching this team longer than most of you. I go back to just before the ‘64 season. I remember being excited when the Jets took both Namath and John Huarte in that year’s draft. Both my dad and grandfather were Giant fans, but I decided to switch to the Jets… big move for a young boy, lol.

We all know the history of this team. Like a lot of you I held season tickets for years back when they played in Shea and then Giants Stadium (I still hate calling it that).

The last few years have been really bad, but for some reason this year is different. Maybe it’s because of what we just went through with Darnold, but I have no patience left for this team and Zach Wilson. I’m sick of watching this mess. The names change, the results don’t.

I watched yesterday, and to be completely honest, I took a perverse pleasure out of watching the Saints turn what was a close game into a blowout. Instead of rooting for the Jets to come back I found myself hoping/wanting to see a beat down. I’m not trying to be a d**k here, and this isn’t another “I’ve had it with this team” threads, I’m not going anywhere.
I can’t figure out if the Jets have made me hate them, or if I’m just not happy with the way they’re trying to rebuild?

I’m curious if I’m the only one who feels this way. It doesn’t make sense to turn on a game involving the team you rooted for all your life and wanting to see them get embarrassed. Like my thread title says, “it’s not supposed to be like this”, but for me it is. 

Apathy is the only sane coping mechanism.

Every year I care less and less. The game day attendance indicates I am not alone.

What I don't think the Johnson's understand is that a generation of children in the area don't care about this team either - and likely never will. Why would they?

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Maybe it’s because of what we just went through with Darnold, but I have no patience left for this team and Zach Wilson. I’m sick of watching this mess. The names change, the results don’t.

The SOJ part of your fandom is slowly taking over. 
Tell yourself it’s not about this year and refrain from throwing anything at your TV.

by the way, a tip of the hat for being a fan from practically day 1.

At least you saw a championship 

• Upvote 1

There are so many diehard fans throwing in the towel it's amazing to me that after 11 putrid, embarrassing years the Jets have anything left from a fan base.  Does anyone here have anyone on the inside that knows how the business side is doing?  I know they print money because they are a NFL franchise but the product has completely sucked for a crazy long time.

I have a buddy that is an executive with the Phillies and you'd be shocked at how few season ticket holders they have...and the game experience and team is so much better than the Jets.

Would love to know how the biz side is...

• Upvote 1

I can’t figure out if the Jetews have made me hate them, or if I’m just not happy with the way they’re trying to rebuild?

You have a some years on me. I started watching during the 71-72 season. So I have half a century of suffering. I watch every play of every game and have just come to the conclusion I am going to die spending me life rooting a loser. With it comes a healthy dose of cynicism though that I feel I have put in the time to have earned the right. For me it's like watching a train wreck, I know the result but I watch anyway and I can't look away.

So every year I get the NFL package and watch like an abused child.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, WowOhWow said:

There are so many diehard fans throwing in the towel it's amazing to me that after 11 putrid, embarrassing years the Jets have anything left from a fan base.  Does anyone here have anyone on the inside that knows how the business side is doing?  I know they print money because they are a NFL franchise but the product has completely sucked for a crazy long time.

I have a buddy that is an executive with the Phillies and you'd be shocked at how few season ticket holders they have...and the game experience and team is so much better than the Jets.

Would love to know how the biz side is...

Woody is a fine businessman and provides a top notch product along with a superb in game experience. Find a new slant.

• Haha 1

Yeah I have my moments and I had the same thoughts as you yesterday.   I'm just tired of all of the losing.   However, if I take a step back and take QB out of the equation, things start to look better.   They won't be a playoff team next year but they will be a lot better.  I look at the offense and see an improved OL.   The jets finally found what looks like a very nice WR in Moore.  The rookies on Offense from this draft look good (Again take the QB out of this).   I look at the offense and see the Jets need a TE and another RB to help Carter.    OL is ok for now.   The Jets could use another WR but starting Moore, Davis, and Berrios in the slot is better than they have had in a long time (minus this year).   On Defense, the Jets could be primed to get another Passrusher, but I like Lawson and Huff.    The need a #1 cornerback, Linebacker and safeties.  

I like where the TEAM is headed, but yeah Wilson sucking so bad makes it very hard.   What has always killed me is why can't the Jets draft even an average QB.   They are all so, so bad.    

• Upvote 3

I watched yesterday, and to be completely honest, I took a perverse pleasure out of watching the Saints turn what was a close game into a blowout. Instead of rooting for the Jets to come back I found myself hoping/wanting to see a beat down. I’m not trying to be a d**k here, and this isn’t another “I’ve had it with this team” threads, . 

You're in good company with this one...

There's a very good portion of this board that have been hoping for Wilson to fail from the very beginning.  It's very nice to see you being honest about it.  I wish more would follow...

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You sound like my wife after sex.  Never ends.

For all you single dudes out there: 

1. Get a big glass jar.

2. Get 1,000 marbles.

3. Put a marble in the jar every time you have sex with your girlfriend.

4. After you marry her, remove a marble every time you have sex.

The jar will never be empty.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I can't be upset in a season where I expected it to be a controlled disaster. I took one look at the roster, and I knew that this team wasn't winning more than three games. They might exceed my expectations and win four or five. I expected this season to be filled with downs and a few ups. I have this delusion that 2022 will be a year of leaps and bounds, and I hope that my delusion turns into a reality. Too many things have to go right at the same time for this team to compete in 2022, but hope is all I have. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

For all you single dudes out there: 

1. Get a big glass jar.

2. Get 1,000 marbles.

3. Put a marble in the jar every time you have sex with your girlfriend.

4. After you marry her, remove a marble every time you have sex.

The jar will never be empty.

Does the sex have to be with my wife?

• Haha 3