Jump to content

I keep seeing Stingley mocked to us...


Sammybighead
 Share

Recommended Posts

I agree with the doubts over Stingley, the predraft process is going to be huge for him, as it stands there are way too many question marks over him to have him as a top 10 selection, let alone top 5. I would take Hamilton over him easily, even accounting for positional value, but there's a long way to go until the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Stingley is the most interesting prospect as it pertains to the Jets. 

I wouldn't be shocked if some teams have him as #1 overall on their board. CB is viewed by many as a premium position, and Stingley does have a lot to like about his game.
 

He was the #1 recruit in the country (overall - not just for CBs) as a senior in high school

His freshman year he was probably the best cornerback in the country. 

He has ideal size - 6'1 & 195

He ran a 4.3 40 time as a high schooler, he also posted a vertical of 42 inches AS A HIGH SCHOOLER. Just for some context Jaycee Horn ran a 4.4 and had a 41.5 vertical in the combine last year. Patrick Peterson ran a 4.31 with a vertical of 38 inches. Cromartie ran a 4.38 with a vertical of 38-42.

Marshon Lattimore - who is the only one I see with a ATRAS and RAS at 10 according to this: https://ras.football/2017/01/17/cb-relative-athletic-scores-ras-table/

came in at 6'0 193 with a 40 of 4.36 and vertical of 38.5

Needless to say he is a freak athlete. 

He is apparently an extremely hard worker - and seems to be more of a quiet kid and not a head case (not sure on that interviews will be huge). 

I only bring this up to say - someone will fall in love with this kid. In a draft where there are no QBs worthy of trading up in the top 5 - I believe he is our best chance of getting someone to pay to move up. If the top two go Hutch and Thibs - I am hoping the Jets get Neal. If Neal goes in the top three I'd love to trade back and get more picks - and I believe Stingley will be the guy a team will trade up for. 

I just don't see the Jets/JD drafting a CB early - but if they did go with Stingley - who I wouldn't want us to pick - I have no doubt I'll talk myself into him come next September. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This defense relies way more on initial front four pressure and quality safety play than a lockdown man-to-man corner.

Hall at least looks like a competent starter, Carter II looks like a quality nickel, Echols has shown flashes, etc.

I’d take Hamilton over Stingley.

In fact, coming away from the 1st with an EDGE like Karlaftis or Ojabo and Hamilton added to the secondary is kinda what I’m hoping for.

Unless a guy like Jessie Bates hits FA and the Jets bring him in, Hamilton is a prime candidate for one of those 1st rounders whether you like it or not. A 6’4 220 safety with his athleticism, range and playmaking ability would work wonders for the backend of this defense.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know the prospects well as I'm just starting to read about everyone to distract myself from this abysmal season.

That said, if we're not sold on Saleh or this scheme, why would forego the opportunity to draft an elite corner because "his scheme doesn't require one"?

Realistically, both Douglas and Saleh will be on the hot seat, so they might do the classic "all-in" approach and accelerate the rebuild - meaning we spend big in free agency and draft with the goal of improving the week one roster, foregoing 'building the right way', to save their skins.

In that scenario, I think it's unlikely we draft a corner like Stingley and instead take a pass rusher - maybe even trade up for Kayvon T or Hutch.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2021 at 2:43 PM, Untouchable said:

This defense relies way more on initial front four pressure and quality safety play than a lockdown man-to-man corner.

Hall at least looks like a competent starter, Carter II looks like a quality nickel, Echols has shown flashes, etc.

I’d take Hamilton over Stingley.

In fact, coming away from the 1st with an EDGE like Karlaftis or Ojabo and Hamilton added to the secondary is kinda what I’m hoping for.

Unless a guy like Jessie Bates hits FA and the Jets bring him in, Hamilton is a prime candidate for one of those 1st rounders whether you like it or not. A 6’4 220 safety with his athleticism, range and playmaking ability would work wonders for the backend of this defense.

I feel like people who think the Jets are gonna draft secondary help high aren't paying attention....Douglas obviously doesn't value the positions that high.  He hasn't payed either Adams or Maye, has used a ton of mid / late round picks on the position, and like you said the defense relies way more on pressure up front.  It's far more likely these positions are filled in free agency and later in the draft.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Get used to it until we are able to crack into the top 3 picks.  Seems like, as of now, the draft is considered to have 4 blue chip prospects (Thibs, Hutch, Neal and Stingley) and with the fourth pick you can expect to see the Jets getting mocked whoever is left in that group.

Actually, Hamilton is more of a blue-chip than Stingley.  The position dampens that a bit, but he's the real deal.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I don't know the prospects well as I'm just starting to read about everyone to distract myself from this abysmal season.

That said, if we're not sold on Saleh or this scheme, why would forego the opportunity to draft an elite corner because "his scheme doesn't require one"?

Realistically, both Douglas and Saleh will be on the hot seat, so they might do the classic "all-in" approach and accelerate the rebuild - meaning we spend big in free agency and draft with the goal of improving the week one roster, foregoing 'building the right way', to save their skins.

In that scenario, I think it's unlikely we draft a corner like Stingley and instead take a pass rusher - maybe even trade up for Kayvon T or Hutch.

I think after so many years of Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles playing outside in and focusing on corner play so they could blitz in all kinds of fun ways, we've grown accustomed to thinking elite corners are a must and they're not. Corner play is obviously important but I think as you're building a team it's the front first and the corners later. Particularly since defensive linemen can last a while and once a corner loses a step he's toast.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I don't know the prospects well as I'm just starting to read about everyone to distract myself from this abysmal season.

That said, if we're not sold on Saleh or this scheme, why would forego the opportunity to draft an elite corner because "his scheme doesn't require one"?

Realistically, both Douglas and Saleh will be on the hot seat, so they might do the classic "all-in" approach and accelerate the rebuild - meaning we spend big in free agency and draft with the goal of improving the week one roster, foregoing 'building the right way', to save their skins.

In that scenario, I think it's unlikely we draft a corner like Stingley and instead take a pass rusher - maybe even trade up for Kayvon T or Hutch.

The problem is whether we like it or not JD and Saleh are attached to the hip. If JD was just brought on or had 10 more years on his contract he could easily say well this Saleh may not be around long and long term drafting Stingley make sense. However, JD doesn't have the luxury of looking at a world post-Saleh b/c he likely won't be a part of it. I think they are all in on this scheme and ZW for the foreseeable future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

The problem is whether we like it or not JD and Saleh are attached to the hip. If JD was just brought on or had 10 more years on his contract he could easily say well this Saleh may not be around long and long term drafting Stingley make sense. However, JD doesn't have the luxury of looking at a world post-Saleh b/c he likely won't be a part of it. I think they are all in on this scheme and ZW for the foreseeable future. 

Agree with this take.

I had high hopes for Lawson in this scheme, and his training camp was excellent, but that injury was brutal and I've got to think all parties involved cannot gamble their jobs on him being effective next year.

They need a Bosa type player to make this scheme work effectively.

I think they're going to trade up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Since 2000 the Ravens (who always have good CBs) have only ever drafted a CB earlier than the 4th round once - Marlon Humphrey.

Based on how Douglas drafted last season, unless he thinks Stingley is a sure fire all-pro, he'll wait until round 3 or later to address CB.

 

 

Solid observation.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2021 at 8:48 AM, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I think Stingley is the most interesting prospect as it pertains to the Jets. 

I wouldn't be shocked if some teams have him as #1 overall on their board. CB is viewed by many as a premium position, and Stingley does have a lot to like about his game.
 

He was the #1 recruit in the country (overall - not just for CBs) as a senior in high school

His freshman year he was probably the best cornerback in the country. 

He has ideal size - 6'1 & 195

He ran a 4.3 40 time as a high schooler, he also posted a vertical of 42 inches AS A HIGH SCHOOLER. Just for some context Jaycee Horn ran a 4.4 and had a 41.5 vertical in the combine last year. Patrick Peterson ran a 4.31 with a vertical of 38 inches. Cromartie ran a 4.38 with a vertical of 38-42.

Marshon Lattimore - who is the only one I see with a ATRAS and RAS at 10 according to this: https://ras.football/2017/01/17/cb-relative-athletic-scores-ras-table/

came in at 6'0 193 with a 40 of 4.36 and vertical of 38.5

Needless to say he is a freak athlete. 

He is apparently an extremely hard worker - and seems to be more of a quiet kid and not a head case (not sure on that interviews will be huge). 

I only bring this up to say - someone will fall in love with this kid. In a draft where there are no QBs worthy of trading up in the top 5 - I believe he is our best chance of getting someone to pay to move up. If the top two go Hutch and Thibs - I am hoping the Jets get Neal. If Neal goes in the top three I'd love to trade back and get more picks - and I believe Stingley will be the guy a team will trade up for. 

I just don't see the Jets/JD drafting a CB early - but if they did go with Stingley - who I wouldn't want us to pick - I have no doubt I'll talk myself into him come next September. 

 

I agree. There's a great chance Stingley and Hamilton will the sitting there at 4 and there will be teams out there who love those two prospects because of their immense upside. Jets need help in the secondary but I just don't see JD addressing those positions at #4. Would be a nice spot to trade down. Falcons are sitting there at 9 and would make sense. They currently have one of the worst secondaries in the league and could use a shut down CB or playmaking Safety. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I keep seeing this as well. Seems very groupthink to me that nearly every draft has him in the top 10, with many having him in the top 5. I dont know how you justify any secondary player that high in this new era of nfl, let alone one who hasnt shown anything in years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...