Meanwhile, the New York Post

jetstream23

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I just like that Wilson is the problem but Trevor not a peep about how bad he is

That's because Meyer is "taking one for the team" and deflecting attention onto himself to protect his rookie QB. :D  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, tfine said:

All of the New York teams stink because the owners are trash….they know they will never lose money because of the big market…so they’ve become the men behind the curtain collecting fat checks…say what you want about Steinbrenner but winning was everything to that man.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah but when the Giants were winning it was because of their ownership being stellar.  Mara is a NFL god.  Well now hes trash?  When the Yankees were losing it wasnt because of George.   When we went to the playoffs 4 or 5 out of 7 years was Woody smarter?    

The Mets lose money when they suck.  They dont make money because theyre in a big market.  

Most times owners get too much credit or too much of the blame.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Excellent point about the Bengals. Last year their fans were screaming to fire their HC. Guess it takes a few seasons to even look competitive when the team rebuilds.

Saleh is getting more time no matter what, but Jets fans are just fed up at this point and rightfully so. 

Everyone sucks until proven otherwise

42 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Honestly if I'm the Jets I'm revoking any press credentials the NYP might have with them. They have in fact sucked over the last 10 years but to put a giant photo of a rookie head coach up there with "LOSERVILLE" plastered on him as if to imply he's been responsible for all that is just complete garbage. 

I am no fan of Saleh, but I agree that lumping Saleh in with Judge is unfair at this point. Judge has been there for 2 years and the team has spent a ton on free agents. That team is not rebuilding, it was built to win now. 

If the Jets are on the way to another 5-12 type year next year then Saleh will deserve that treatment. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Honestly if I'm the Jets I'm revoking any press credentials the NYP might have with them. They have in fact sucked over the last 10 years but to put a giant photo of a rookie head coach up there with "LOSERVILLE" plastered on him as if to imply he's been responsible for all that is just complete garbage. 

Press credentials only get pulled on very rare, Manish-like situations.  Simple criticism is not a good enough one.  The NYP drops headlines like these all the time, damn the torpedoes.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Press credentials only get pulled on very rare, Manish-like situations.  Simple criticism is not a good enough one.  The NYP drops headlines like these all the time, damn the torpedoes.

It's not just simple criticism, that's the point. They're straight up insulting Saleh and the organization. Loserville plastered across the guys chest while pointing at 10 years of losing seasons? I mean c'mon.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's not just simple criticism, that's the point. They're straight up insulting Saleh and the organization. Loserville plastered across the guys chest? I mean c'mon.

Tactless and bush league?  Absolutely.  Enough to get their credentials pulled?  Extremely unlikely. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

There are no self made billionaires. 

In a sense this is true. It takes an army to create that level of wealth. But like the army, the soldiers are fungible.

If none of Carnegie's workers had never been born, Carnegie would've hired others and still been a billionaire. If there was no Carnegie...

Bezos is probably the closest thing to a self-made billionaire alive today. He put it all on the line, double mortgaged his house, quit his job, was supported on his wife's meager salary to pursue a dream to sell books online.

Those who take the greatest risk, earn the greatest reward. Or ruin themselves in the process.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So when Bill Gates was toiling away in his garage day after day, what help was he getting, exactly? 

Very interesting chapter on Gates in the Malcom Gladwell classic "Outliers." The title is brilliant because the whole book painstaking seeks to prove that there are no outliers. Success can be traced to the root and explained. Hard work, slavish devotion to self-improvement, and yes, a bit of luck. Gates' luck was that his high school received a gift (like $10,000 I think) and was one of the first high schools in the US to have a dedicated computer that students could reserve time on. But no one made him sit in the chair 10 hours a day coding.

8 minutes ago, peebag said:

I'm guessing his millionaire lawyer dad had something to do with it.

Sounds like the case against Mac Jones before the draft. "But he had weaponz at Alabama, therefore, no credit for you!"

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Very interesting chapter on Gates in the Malcom Gladwell classic "Outliers." The title is brilliant because the whole book painstaking seeks to prove that there are no outliers. Success can be traced to the root and explained. Hard work, slavish devotion to self-improvement, and yes, a bit of luck. Gates' luck was that his elite private school received an gift (like $10,000 a think) and was one of the first high schools in the US to have a dedicated computer that students could reserve time on.

I read Gladwell’s David vs Goliath, that made a fairly similar point, too.

@Uncle Nicco could sure use some training about outliers, that’s for sure. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, peebag said:

I'm guessing his millionaire lawyer dad had something to do with it.

Ok, fair enough.  But the overall point we’re making here is that billionaires (the first in their family, not talking about those who inherit the kingdom, like Woody) still generally have to generate something new (a product/invention/service) to build wealth like that, which takes an enormous amount of sweat equity.

Suggesting otherwise is just an easy way for people to try to explain away why billionaires exist as simple luck.  It sure makes it easier for folks to cope with not being well off financially when viewing the world thru that prism. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I read Gladwell’s David vs Goliath, that made a fairly similar point, too.

@Uncle Nicco could sure use some training about outliers, that’s for sure. 

Imagine Nico buying "Outliers" thinking he had found his new bible and the first sentence in the intro "There are no outliers" lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ok, fair enough.  But the overall point we’re making here is that billionaires (the first in their family, not talking about those who inherit the kingdom, like Woody) still generally have to generate something new (a product/invention/service) to build wealth like that, which takes an enormous amount of sweat equity.

Suggesting otherwise is just an easy way for people to try to explain away why billionaires exist as simple luck.  It sure makes it easier for folks to cope with not being well off financially when viewing the world thru that prism. 

The point would be valid if Gates went to law school and took over his father's practice and clients.

No one forced him to sit in the chair in high school and code for 10 hours a day. And I'm sure his "millionaire lawyer father" was none too pleased about Gates dropping out of Harvard, either.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

The point would be valid if Gates went to law school and took over his father's practice and clients.

No one forced him to sit in the chair in high school and code for 10 hours a day. And I'm sure his "millionaire lawyer father" was none to pleased about Gates dropping out of Harvard, either.

Yep.  It would be an easy justification for his Dad to have pulled the “safety net” out from under him at the time, that’s for sure.  

Maybe his Dad helped him financially during that process, maybe not.  And certainly you need money to get to Harvard in the first place.  But Gates 100 % had to grind on his own. 

So I guess you could say Gates was born on first base, maybe even second base, but still had to get home on his own. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  It would be an easy justification for his Dad to have pulled the “safety net” out from under him at the time, that’s for sure.  

Maybe his Dad helped him financially during that process, maybe not.  And certainly you need money to get to Harvard in the first place.  But Gates 100 % had to grind on his own. 

So I guess you could say Gates was born on first base, maybe even second base, but still had to get home on his own. 

When I was in college -- I, like probably thousands of others -- had the idea for a video-sharing site where anyone could upload their funny videos for others to view and comment on. What did I do with that idea? Absolutely nothing. I instead played sports, drank beer, and chased girls.

An idea -- no matter how great -- is worthless without execution.

It's all in the follow-through.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So when Bill Gates was toiling away in his garage day after day, what help was he getting, exactly? 

I don't know - That private school education and the connections his extravagantly wealthy parents had probably helped. Not the best example. 

Even the most exceptional individuals rely on work done by others before them and others around them but the billionaires in particular have to rely on a system that allows such gross resource accumulation to begin with. 

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

I don't know - That private school education and the connections his extravagantly wealthy parents had probably helped. Not the best example. 

Even the most exceptional individuals rely on work done by others before them and others around them but the billionaires in particular have to rely on a system that allows such gross resource accumulation to begin with. 

Ok.  How about Bezos?  Horrible human being, yes, but what help did he get?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The system can't explain it thought since we all (assuming most of us are in the United States) operate in the same system.

I don't want to turn this into a political discussion but the one thing that really annoys me is when billionaires (more specifically, their companies) pay little to no tax to support the system they benefitted from. However, even if Amazon paid the fullest tax under the law, Bezos would still be a billionaire only less so (and a better citizen and person, but that's not what we are talking about).

And also, something separates Bill Gates from the tens of thousands of Billy Madisons of the world.