Jump to content

Is it possible that JD will survive if Zach is a bust


Wit

Recommended Posts

he will be around next year 100% woody and co hate paying guys that dont work for them anymore as will the terrible coaching staff he brought in

Joe's first draft was maybe one of the jets worst ever by who is still here and actual performance on the field

I believe Wilson is  bust  as well-he will end up (my opinion) worse then Geno at a higher  pick

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Sure if he drafts 4-5 starters in 2022 like he did in 2021 and 1 or 2 turn out to be studs you'd have to be a complete moron to fire him even if Wilson is a bust. Well, Woody Johnson does own the team so ...

u play to win the games-hello u play to win the games-his roster is terrible as his teams record-Wilson is going to bust out too-we just have to wait another year before anything happens to him or joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

He will be the GM next year. 

If the Jets are bad again and Zach never turns better in year 2, the question is HOW do you bring him back in 23? 

If the Jets turn it around next year and Zach starts to show something he will be here in 23. 

It doesn't have to go down like that.  It didn't in Arizona.

BUT, it would be ballsier.  Do we walk away from Zach, or is there too much talent and desire there?  Maybe it was easy for Steve Keim to walk away.  Maybe Josh Rosen was just a waste of a pick, it was glaringly obvious, and he did what he had to do. But it still took balls to then draft Murray.  Well, that worked out okay.

IF the team has a lot of good talent around him going into 2023, you don't get rid of him.  He is doing his job.  But the modern day NFL doesn't matter if you bring in HOF at multiple positions.  If you don't get the QB right, it won't matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have to imagine that JD's biggest regret right now is handing over the franchise to Zach Wilson.  I have to imagine he's learned his lesson and his #1 priority this offseason is bringing in a starter level QB who can rightfully compete in camp for the starting job.  There is absolutely no way in hell you go into next season with Zach as the unrivalled starter.  If that happens and Zach hasnt made an entire 180, JD will lose his job accordingly when the entire regime is flipped over, again.

It's just ******* wild that JD finally got his eyes on Zach Wilson and was like yep, this is the guy I'm trying my career too.  ******* mind-boggling. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Sure he can he just has to stumble into a decent Qb in place of the bust.

All while totally reluctant to try.

Bring in a FA/Trade vet, JD. Wish list:

  • Someone with at least as many years ahead of them as behind them 
  • Someone who has started at least 10 games
  • Someone who still has theoretical upside

Gardner Minshew's new mullet is 200% Sex Panther, 300% Jagr, and 500% gold  | This is the Loop | GolfDigest.comMitch Trubisky, Jets quarterback crush, declares for NFL draft - New York  Daily NewsTua Tagovailoa Is Playing Well, Which Is A Real Inconvenience If You're The  Dolphins | FiveThirtyEight

 

  • Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not get the impression that JD is anywhere near the hotseat. I think he has sold Woody & Chris on the long haul - using a decade of garbage drafting, free agency, etc. to support it. You even hear Saleh reference it quite often. They're not wrong, but time will run out.

To me - this offseason HAS to be the one where JD pushes his chips in on this team. He has punted for 2 offseasons in a row. He picked his players and he's done a lot more good than bad IMO. What he needs to do next is not only keep the momentum going in this upcoming draft, but put some significant players on this team in free agency.

No more quantity over quality - go all in... go get 2-3 premier players and then let's get to the draft

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

It doesn't have to go down like that.  It didn't in Arizona.

BUT, it would be ballsier.  Do we walk away from Zach, or is there too much talent and desire there?  Maybe it was easy for Steve Keim to walk away.  Maybe Josh Rosen was just a waste of a pick, it was glaringly obvious, and he did what he had to do. But it still took balls to then draft Murray.  Well, that worked out okay.

IF the team has a lot of good talent around him going into 2023, you don't get rid of him.  He is doing his job.  But the modern day NFL doesn't matter if you bring in HOF at multiple positions.  If you don't get the QB right, it won't matter.

So we are going down the Sam route? 

Zach gets 3 full seasons? I have to believe we know what we have after 2 seasons. Example, if in week 14 in 2022 Zach still cant throw the screen pass is anyone comfortable with that moving forward?? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If JD and Saleh build a good team there's tremendous value in that.  If he has another draft like the 21 draft this team will start to improve pretty quickly.  You can win a lot of games with a good team and average QB play.  In fact that's a type of team we lost to this week in the Saints.  The ability to hit on a high percentage of draft picks in order to build through the draft is much more valuable than the coin flip on a high 1st round QB prospect.

So yes, even if Zach completely fails there is a path to keep the staff and JD intact here.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I do not get the impression that JD is anywhere near the hotseat. I think he has sold Woody & Chris on the long haul - using a decade of garbage drafting, free agency, etc. to support it. You even hear Saleh reference it quite often. They're not wrong, but time will run out.

To me - this offseason HAS to be the one where JD pushes his chips in on this team. He has punted for 2 offseasons in a row. He picked his players and he's done a lot more good than bad IMO. What he needs to do next is not only keep the momentum going in this upcoming draft, but put some significant players on this team in free agency.

No more quantity over quality - go all in... go get 2-3 premier players and then let's get to the draft

his players are bad like really really bad K cole cant catch a cold-davis was a bad move too-only plus is we didnt sign kenny g

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lol people hyping up joes moves and joes drafts-joe's roster is terrible , joes record is terrible- his first draft was maybe one of the worst ever-this draft he drafted a bad qb to be the franchise QB- if a team has a avg or bad qb they then must lean on the defense =Joe's defense is one of the worst if not the worst in the league

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

So we are going down the Sam route? 

Zach gets 3 full seasons? I have to believe we know what we have after 2 seasons. Example, if in week 14 in 2022 Zach still cant throw the screen pass is anyone comfortable with that moving forward?? 

Potentially.  Zach could show decent improvement through the course of year 2 while still not being "there" so to speak and you'd want to give him another year to continue the climb.  If he ends the year still missing easy throws and showing poor accuracy, you cut your losses.

More than likely though I think we see continued improvement while still not having the answer in year 2 and it will be decided in year 3.

People can say that it's a wasted year if he doesn't end up being the guy after giving him a third year, but I really don't think so.  If the trajectory of the team as a whole is up, drafting or bringing in another QB gets a lot easier when then team is good ala Mac Jones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

The dude is something like 5-23 as a GM.  His hand picked coach + two drafts + 3 years worth of free agency.  The team sucks in all facets of the game.  There's more at stake for JD here than just Wilson's progression...

yep and some how people are tying to spin things-

the crazy thing is we have seen this movie before with Mac and Izadick already-some folks even though they saw the movie think that some how the ending will be different like the titanic reaches its destination and everybody had a great time on the ship

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

He will be judged by the team's performance, not this one pick - but it certainly doesn't bode well for the team's success if Zach Wilson continues on this bust trajectory.

This was part of the rationale behind keeping Sam another year (at least from JD's perspective). Once he made Zach his guy, he started the clock in earnest.

I thought he could/should have figured out the QB situation this offseason if he was not in "full bloom love" with one of the QBs. When he picked Zach, I assumed he was. Now that the decision was made, he has to wear it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

The dude is something like 5-23 as a GM.  His hand picked coach + two drafts + 3 years worth of free agency.  The team sucks in all facets of the game.  There's more at stake for JD here than just Wilson's progression...

His hand picked HC has no real talent to win with on the roster and is the youngest roster in the league.  You dont hire someone, put him in that situation and then think he has to win in year one or hes gone.  Thats fan speak

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's going to be here next year. This was the first year for his coaching staff and a slew of rookies. All of them will get a pass this year. The question is going to be whether he gets to stay in 2023. 

Another year like this no matter how much the roster improves is probably the end for Douglas. Hope that an improved roster brings an improved GM candidate and move on. 

If there is forward progress in spite of a failing Wilson then Douglas probably gets another year or two to keep things moving forward. Picking a QB at #2 is always a high risk/reward move and I would imagine Woody signed off on the pick which would give Douglas some insulation on that pick. Douglas has his work cut out for him. Aside from some of the 2021 picks there's not a lot of positives to point out as forward progress. He has to have a good draft, make some good FA moves, see improvement from most of the current roster, if Wilson has another bad year come in with a viable alternative and especially better coaching from his selected staff. That's a lot that needs to go right. A complete guess but Douglas probably needs seven or eight wins plus several close losses plus a strong pitch for the future to keep the job in 2023. I'd guess he needs a winning season but our schedule next year isn't going to be easy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Wit said:

Given that the rest of last years draft was pretty decent, if he has another decent draft but Zach isn’t good, can he retain his job?

Yes.  Another class or two like this year and he stays.  Finding 3-4 starters and a couple of backups is high-level stuff for any GM.  Especially if multiples show the ability to be elite level guys like Moore, AVT and Hall.  May end up adding MCI to that group as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

It doesn't have to go down like that.  It didn't in Arizona.

BUT, it would be ballsier.  Do we walk away from Zach, or is there too much talent and desire there?  Maybe it was easy for Steve Keim to walk away.  Maybe Josh Rosen was just a waste of a pick, it was glaringly obvious, and he did what he had to do. But it still took balls to then draft Murray.  Well, that worked out okay.

It certainly didn’t hurt from an optics perspective that Rosen was the 4th QB off the board in that draft.

The Jets took Wilson at # 2 when they reportedly could have traded down for a very enticing package of picks and still ended up taking Mac Jones, Fields, or perhaps even Wilson himself.

The draft capital spent on Wilson was enormous.  That wasn’t quite the case with the Rosen selection. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It certainly didn’t hurt from an optics perspective that Rosen was the 4th QB off the board in that draft.

The Jets took Wilson at # 2 when they reportedly could have traded down for a very enticing package of picks and still ended up taking Mac Jones, Fields, or perhaps even Wilson himself.

The draft capital spent on Wilson was enormous.  That wasn’t quite the case with the Rosen selection. 

Wilson can't hit a swing pass. He's as bad as Rosen was in Zona and in some ways worse. But Rosen is also a thoroughly dislikeable dbag, which didn't help his cause.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Ryan Pace has, so far, managed to survive Trubisky (who was also a number 2 overall pick), so I could see Douglas surviving if Wilson busts.

In Pace's defense, Trubisky has never looked anywhere near as bad as Wilson and he won 11 games his 2nd season.  29-21 as a starter.  Pretty stark contrast to Wilson, IMO.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

He'd need to bring in a credible QB2 in FA/Trade that performs well if he hopes to.

This ^^

Realistically? No, probably not. I'd guess Wilson ends up sinking JD and Saleh.

But for Douglas to survive Wilson busting he'd need to stumble into quality QB play without investing serious capital in the position -- signing Gardner Minshew to a reasonable contract, landing a stud in round 4 or later, etc.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JiFapono said:

In Pace's defense, Trubisky has never looked anywhere near as bad as Wilson and he won 11 games his 2nd season.  29-21 as a starter.  Pretty stark contrast to Wilson, IMO.

But unlike Trubisky, Mac Jones is the only rookie QB that has looked competent so far, compared to the likes of DeShaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes

Then again, Mahomes sat his first year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This ^^

Realistically? No, probably not. I'd guess Wilson ends up sinking JD and Saleh.

But for Douglas to survive Wilson busting he'd need to stumble into quality QB play without investing serious capital in the position -- signing Gardner Minshew to a reasonable contract, landing a stud in round 4 or later, etc.

If JD can't land a stud QB with the 2nd pick, how will he do it in the 4th round?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

In Pace's defense, Trubisky has never looked anywhere near as bad as Wilson and he won 11 games his 2nd season.  29-21 as a starter.  Pretty stark contrast to Wilson, IMO.

Trubisky was pretty terrible as a rookie (not Wilson terrible but pretty much nobody is.)

The difference is that he saw a massive leap in Year 2 when they canned John Fox and brought in Nagy.

There's not going to be a brand new staff with an offensive minded HC in Year 2 for Wilson.... This is it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...