Is it possible that JD will survive if Zach is a bust

Wit

ok i got a couple of observations.

1st. SF never called us to trade for the 2OA. or did we forget. 

2. Wilson had a great preseason. i posted all his throws. no bouncers or fireballs. was leading his receivers. so there was no one on this board or on the CS who didnt believe he wasnt ready in week 1.

looking back i dont know when we bench him.

after the Denver game? so he plays 3 games which 2 are awful and you bench him? not good for his confidence.

next week he has his best game vs Tenn. Atlanta wasnt pretty but we were in that game till the end.

gets hurts vs NE. looked good on his throws for the short time he was there.

comes back and does enough to beat Houston. well we rushed for 157yds so he just had to game manage. do you sit him then after a win? 

Phila was his best half of football. missed 1 throw. gets 3 TDs. last week was bad but were at the end of the year. now its ride or die time. makes no sense to sit him anymore.

so tell me when do you sit him?

26 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Why should we assume the Jets coaching staff can develop him?  They went all in on him and handed him the job when he wasn't ready.  They sold us on he needed all the reps to develop.

I wouldn't dump either WIlson or Lawrence.  I would dump both Saleh and Meyer and not give them another chance at developing them.  

I probably wouldn't let Rhule sign another QB to a long term deal either.  

Interesting. Keep Wilson and dump Saleh. Never happening, but interesting 

11 minutes ago, doitny said:

They knew we were taking Wilson with the 2 pick.  The Eagles wanted Wilson and didn't think they could get him at 3 because we were locked in.  We sent Douglas, Saleh and Lefleur to his pro day.  It was pretty obvious we weren't trading out.  

I have no issue with the pick.  The Jets and the media certainly sold everyone on him being the pick and being ready to start day 1. 

29 minutes ago, Biggs said:

They knew we were taking Wilson with the 2 pick.  The Eagles wanted Wilson and didn't think they could get him at 3 because we were locked in.  We sent Douglas, Saleh and Lefleur to his pro day.  It was pretty obvious we weren't trading out.  

I have no issue with the pick.  The Jets and the media certainly sold everyone on him being the pick and being ready to start day 1. 

i agree. im just wrote that cause i see people here think that they called us and JD turned them down.

you never quite know what someone is willing to pay if they dont make you an offer. just maybe if JD got a call he might have changed his mind. 

47 minutes ago, doitny said:

ok i got a couple of observations.

2. Wilson had a great preseason. i posted all his throws. no bouncers or fireballs. was leading his receivers. so there was no one on this board or on the CS who didnt believe he wasnt ready in week 1.

looking back i dont know when we bench him.

after the Denver game? so he plays 3 games which 2 are awful and you bench him? not good for his confidence.

next week he has his best game vs Tenn. Atlanta wasnt pretty but we were in that game till the end.

gets hurts vs NE. looked good on his throws for the short time he was there.

comes back and does enough to beat Houston. well we rushed for 157yds so he just had to game manage. do you sit him then after a win? 

Phila was his best half of football. missed 1 throw. gets 3 TDs. last week was bad but were at the end of the year. now its ride or die time. makes no sense to sit him anymore.

so tell me when do you sit him?

Easy.....in 5 weeks.?

• Haha 1

He will desperately try.

If they can land a Bridgewater or Garoppolo in the offseason and they scrape 8-9 wins then I think he'll get another year. He can point to progress and if we've got to that win total with an above average QB then there's obviously been improvements to the team.

If he's all in with Zach and we have a repeat of this season's debacle then it will be the end of Saleh, Douglas and Wilson. The latter may stick around but certainly not as a starter. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

If I were JD, I'd be looking into Jimmy G as a backup if he is cut.

1) Pushes Zach

2) Allows him to continue drafting to support either QB

3) If JD has a successful hit rate in his next 2 drafts then I think he can survive Zach flopping

I'm sure a lot of people would want him to get canned but I think it would be a mistake. I think he's shown success in trades, waiver claims, and UDFAs. I think his drafts have been about league average (2020 doesn't look great but I'm not sure that is from a lack of talent)

I’ve seen two people bring up Jimmy G in the last 24 hours.

Im not disagreeing, but I’m curious. Are you under the impression you’ll get him on a cheap deal? If I had to guess, he’ll get a higher Aav than Zach has next year. He’s going to get starter money not backup.

If you’re okay with that, fine. I just don’t see why you’d keep Wilson around though. He’s not beating out someone like JG.

28 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He will desperately try.

If they can land a Bridgewater or Garoppolo in the offseason and they scrape 8-9 wins then I think he'll get another year. He can point to progress and if we've got to that win total with an above average QB then there's obviously been improvements to the team.

If he's all in with Zach and we have a repeat of this season's debacle then it will be the end of Saleh, Douglas and Wilson. The latter may stick around but certainly not as a starter. 

we could have 6-7 wins right now with a last years defense. this defensive scheme was the biggest mistake they made. hurst Zach too ,to constinly play from behind 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’ve seen two people bring up Jimmy G in the last 24 hours.

Im not disagreeing, but I’m curious. Are you under the impression you’ll get him on a cheap deal? If I had to guess, he’ll get a higher Aav than Zach has next year. He’s going to get starter money not backup.

If you’re okay with that, fine. I just don’t see why you’d keep Wilson around though. He’s not beating out someone like JG.

I'd be fine with Jimmy G around $15m which is double Zachs cap hit for next year if he's cut. I just don't want to trade for him at $24m.

20 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd be fine with Jimmy G around $15m which is double Zachs cap hit for next year if he's cut. I just don't want to trade for him at $24m.

That’s what I thought, and I agree with you. Where we differ is I can’t see keeping Wilson around if we sign JG.

The only reason he’ll be available this offseason is because the 49ers will have made the either/or choice to go with Lance. It makes no sense to me, (or SF) to keep both. Why should the Jets?

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You are living in fantasy land.

Wilson is going to be on the roster next year. 

You’re not following me. I agree Wilson will be back, I just feel it’s dumb to do it AND bring in Jimmy G.

I don’t understand the people who think it makes sense to bring in JG AND have Wilson here.
I’m thinking like the 49ers here… why would you want a highly paid competent proven NFL QB in his prime on the same roster with the QB you used the #2 pick on a year earlier?
It makes no sense, and to be honest, it’s unfair to Wilson. Either you believe in him or you don’t. You bring in Garoppollo you’re telling him you don’t.

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re not following me. I agree Wilson will be back, I just feel it’s dumb to do it.

I don’t understand the people who think it makes sense to bring in JG AND have Wilson here.

But the Jets aren't bringing in Jimmy G. That's fantasy stuff. 

Listen to what Saleh said today in the press conference when asked about Mims and his struggles. He talked about needing to give young players "three years" to figure it out. The Jets are going to try and build around the young core they have. I'm just telling you. You guys are wasting your time dreaming about big name free agent QBs this year. The earliest that would happen is 2023. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

A lot of QBs take massive leaps in year 2 - this is what you hope happens here. 

Very true, but for most of these guys (Goff, Trubisky) it coincided with a HC change. This was the promise of Adam Gase and Darnold. ?

We're gonna have the same HC and OC... So while I really hope we see major progress there isn't that same catalyst.

Just now, Green Ghost said:

Again, try to follow along my friend. I’m not the one who brought up JG, @Barry McCockinner and @bla bla bla did.

I’m just replying to their posts and saying why I disagree.

Ok, that's fine

While we are talking about guys who have no chance of being Jets next year, I suggest we trade for Ben Simmons. Talented young player. Just needs a change of scenery. 

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Very true, but for most of these guys (Goff, Trubisky) it coincided with a HC change. This was the promise of Adam Gase and Darnold. ?

We're gonna have the same HC and OC... So while I really hope we see major progress there isn't that same catalyst.

I like leaving young QBs in the same system for a few years, but I personally think it's less about the system in general and more about the guy just getting reps and figuring out how to play in the NFL. And you can work on a lot of basic weaknesses over the offseason.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Ok, that's fine

While we are talking about guys who have no chance of being Jets next year, I suggest we trade for Ben Simmons. Talented young player. Just needs a change of scenery. 

That’s fair game, ? it’s what we do here, just throw out opinions and talk about them.

We aren’t GMs, we’re just a bunch of fans bouncing s**t off each other. Don’t take it seriously. Our opinions have no bearing on what the Jets will do.

Just now, Green Ghost said:

That’s fair game, ? it’s what we do here, just throw out opinions and talk about them.

We aren’t GMs, we’re just a bunch of fans bouncing s**t off each other. Don’t take it seriously. Our opinions have no bearing on what the Jets will do.

Oh, believe me, I rarely take people here too seriously. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re not following me. I agree Wilson will be back, I just feel it’s dumb to do it AND bring in Jimmy G.

I’m thinking like the 49ers here… why would you want a highly paid competent proven NFL QB in his prime on the same roster with the QB you used the #2 pick on a year earlier?
It makes no sense, and to be honest, it’s unfair to Wilson. Either you believe in him or you don’t. You bring in Garoppollo you’re telling him you don’t.

I was only mentioning it because someone else brought it up and it made a lot of sense to me.

Jimmy G is a 30 year old average starter quality QB who knows the system and can play the role of backup who can easily step in and start if Wilson continues to struggle. You give the #2 pick the benefit of the doubt but I think you have to have a legit backup plan if you're JD. 

It's probably the exact role Jimmy G will be playing in SF next year if he stays there.

The Jets have to add a bunch of talent and start winning games in 2022. JD's job depends on it, Saleh's future depends on it and the guys in the locker room aren't going to accept losing every week because the team drafted a rookie in 2021 that isn't getting the job done. If they add a bunch of talent and aren't winning games because Wilson isn't progressing - you have to have a guy who can step in and steady the ship IMO.

I'm not saying I expect Wilson to continue to struggle but you have to be prepared for the realistic scenario that he does.

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I was only mentioning it because someone else brought it up and it made a lot of sense to me.

Jimmy G is a 30 year old average starter quality QB who knows the system and can play the role of backup who can easily step in and start if Wilson continues to struggle. You give the #2 pick the benefit of the doubt but I think you have to have a legit backup plan if you're JD. 

It's probably the exact role Jimmy G will be playing in SF next year if he stays there.

The Jets have to add a bunch of talent and start winning games in 2022. JD's job depends on it and the guys in the locker room aren't going to accept losing every week because the team drafted a rookie in 2021 that isn't getting the job done. If they add a bunch of talent and aren't winning games because Wilson isn't progressing - you have to have a guy who can step in and steady the ship IMO.

I'm not saying I expect Wilson to continue to struggle but you have to be prepared for the realistic scenario that he does.

I think the only thing we differ on is what the market will be for Garoppolo.

I think you feel he’s going to be viewed as, and get backup money?

I think he’s going to be thought of as a starter, and paid like one.

Let’s see how it plays out.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I think the only thing we differ on is what the market will be for Garoppolo. I think you feel he’s going to be viewed as, and get backup money. I think he’s going to be thought of as a starter, and paid like one.

Let’s see how it plays out.

The scenario the other poster proposed was making a trade for him. He's under contract in 2022. I didn't consider the salary cap impact but you're right - it would be a huge cap number for a backup QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I like leaving young QBs in the same system for a few years, but I personally think it's less about the system in general and more about the guy just getting reps and figuring out how to play in the NFL. And you can work on a lot of basic weaknesses over the offseason.

I mean, it depends.

If you look at Jared Goff "the system" is night and day with McVay vs. everyone else.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets have to add a bunch of talent and start winning games in 2022. JD's job depends on it, Saleh's future depends on it and the guys in the locker room aren't going to accept losing every week because the team drafted a rookie in 2021 that isn't getting the job done. If they add a bunch of talent and aren't winning games because Wilson isn't progressing - you have to have a guy who can step in and steady the ship IMO.

I'd be fine with it but I suspect Jimmy G is too "high profile" for that role in the sense that it would generate too much instant drama/QB chatter that JD and RS wouldn't want.

I think they'd want someone like Marcus Mariota who could blend into the background and nobody would think about starting until it was clear that's where they should go.

If JD can't land a stud QB with the 2nd pick, how will he do it in the 4th round?

There were no studs to land. The mistake wasn’t missing, the mistake was jumping in the first place. We could have traded down, held onto Sam and brought in Minshew or Trubisky to compete with Sam use the capital of the #2 overall to stockpile talent that we desperately need. I think JD jumped because of the optics of passing on a QB at 2 vs actuAlly thinking Zach was a worthy QB at 2.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

There were no studs to land. The mistake wasn’t missing, the mistake was jumping in the first place. We could have traded down, held onto Sam and brought in Minshew or Trubisky to compete with Sam use the capital of the #2 overall to stockpile talent that we desperately need. I think JD jumped because of the optics of passing on a QB at 2 vs actuAlly thinking Zach was a worthy QB at 2.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think the problem is that it did matter who the GM was, one of those QBs would be drafted. Nobody expected this (except you). Darnold is failing worse than Bridgewater did in Carolina, so that wasn't a viable option. The reality is that failure seems bound to happen, hopefully Zach learns how to play football and then slows it down.

Joe is working on nailing three picks for the jets all bust team

becton-waste of space and joe took the wrong lineman

mims-he is now officially stephen him and d smith although he actually is the worst of the three

Wilson -he is terrible and anybody that watches football can see it no matter how many excuses are made-he looks worse than Geno and it not even close -he has the same skillset as browning nagle but was drafted higher

if joe is building an all bust team his core is excellent-lineman that cant get on the field and is not really skilled to play his position, a non star wr that cant get on the field but when he does , he cant catch and commits penalties and likes to take plays off, then you got Wislon who cant hit the side of a barn and he too sees ghosts and his coach even said as much saying his confidence is poor

way to go joe

5 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

That’s what I thought, and I agree with you. Where we differ is I can’t see keeping Wilson around if we sign JG.

The only reason he’ll be available this offseason is because the 49ers will have made the either/or choice to go with Lance. It makes no sense to me, (or SF) to keep both. Why should the Jets?

I think it doesn't make sense for the 49ers to keep Jimmy G at $27m and Lance since they are trying to win a ring and need the space.

I would sign off on Jimmy G at $15m for us though. The $12m is the difference. I'm not opposed to having Wilson learn from Jimmy G for a year or at least compete with one another.

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

But the Jets aren't bringing in Jimmy G. That's fantasy stuff. 

Listen to what Saleh said today in the press conference when asked about Mims and his struggles. He talked about needing to give young players "three years" to figure it out. The Jets are going to try and build around the young core they have. I'm just telling you. You guys are wasting your time dreaming about big name free agent QBs this year. The earliest that would happen is 2023. 

This team is going to be built on the draft. Jimmy G at $15m for the year is not really that farfetched if he thinks he can perform well for a season and get get a new contract after.

It would make even more sense to come to the Jets who play the same system and gives you a chance to go against BB. Do I think it's going to happen, probably not, but I don't think it's a 0% chance.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

This team is going to be built on the draft. Jimmy G at $15m for the year is not really that farfetched if he thinks he can perform well for a season and get get a new contract after.

It would make even more sense to come to the Jets who play the same system and gives you a chance to go against BB. Do I think it's going to happen, probably not, but I don't think it's a 0% chance.

In 2023? Sure. But I just don’t see the jets investing 15M on a QB in Zach’s second year. 

something unforeseen would have to happen to Douglas. I also doubt that he would have interest in coming here, but that is a secondary issue 

Just now, slimjasi said:

In 2023? Sure. But I just don’t see the jets investing 15M on a QB in Zach’s second year. 

something unforeseen would have to happen to Douglas. I also doubt that he would have interest in coming here, but that is a secondary issue 

I kinda threw out the $15m number as it would make him the 16th highest paid QB. Realistically it would be a deal for $6-8m with playing time incentives to raise the contract value.

I do think we try to add a vet that isn't named Joe Flacco this offseason, Jimmy G just happens to be starting caliber in our system with coaches he's been around before. 

Main question was, does JD survive if Zach is a bust, that IMO would be how he survives.

• Upvote 1