Is it possible that JD will survive if Zach is a bust

Wit

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I kinda threw out the $15m number as it would make him the 16th highest paid QB. Realistically it would be a deal for $6-8m with playing time incentives to raise the contract value.

I do think we try to add a vet that isn't named Joe Flacco this offseason, Jimmy G just happens to be starting caliber in our system with coaches he's been around before. 

Main question was, does JD survive if Zach is a bust, that IMO would be how he survives.

IMO, we won't bring in a guy of Jimmy G's caliber until we are ready to move on from Wilson. Btw, Jimmy G is getting more than 6-8 on the open market, IMO. When healthy, Jimmy G is a legit starting caliber QB. His big issue is durability. 

People here will be very angry, but I don't see Douglas investing heavily in a vet QB comp for Wilson next season. If he brings in a vet, it's going to be a Hoyer type who the Jets have no intention of starting. I don't see anyone as good as Jimmy G coming here next year, but I could be wrong. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I think it doesn't make sense for the 49ers to keep Jimmy G at $27m and Lance since they are trying to win a ring and need the space.

I would sign off on Jimmy G at $15m for us though. The $12m is the difference. I'm not opposed to having Wilson learn from Jimmy G for a year or at least compete with one another.

what if Lance is a bust? what if he is as bad as Zach? you want the 49ers to leave themselves no backup and for us to have that same backup. makes no sense why they would do that.

18 minutes ago, doitny said:

what if Lance is a bust? what if he is as bad as Zach? you want the 49ers to leave themselves no backup and for us to have that same backup. makes no sense why they would do that.

My guess is they would replace Garoppolo with a cheaper backup.

Theres no reason for the 49ers to pay their QB2/QB1b $15M.  We, however, have the cap space to make that palatable.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Theres no reason for the 49ers to pay their QB2/QB1b $15M.  We, however, have the cap space to make that palatable.

Week 1's QB2 is Week 4's QB1.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

IMO, we won't bring in a guy of Jimmy G's caliber until we are ready to move on from Wilson. Btw, Jimmy G is getting more than 6-8 on the open market, IMO. When healthy, Jimmy G is a legit starting caliber QB. His big issue is durability. 

People here will be very angry, but I don't see Douglas investing heavily in a vet QB comp for Wilson next season. If he brings in a vet, it's going to be a Hoyer type who the Jets have no intention of starting. I don't see anyone as good as Jimmy G coming here next year, but I could be wrong. 

Yea Hoyer is who I wanted, I think we burnt that bridge with the low ball offer this past offseason though.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, doitny said:

If they feel Lance is a bust then I don't think Jimmy G gets cut and this isn't even a conversation.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea Hoyer is who I wanted, I think we burnt that bridge with the low ball offer this past offseason though.

Hoyer def better option than Flacco but he's a stop gap and offers no Wilson bust insurance.

Dream bigger.

26 minutes ago, doitny said:

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If they feel Lance is a bust then I don't think Jimmy G gets cut and this isn't even a conversation.

Guys.  Per OverTheCap.com, the 49ers have a projected $12.8M in cap space.

The Jets have over $49M.

This is a situation where both teams would be helping each other out via a trade. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

how would you feel if we did that under the same circumstances? imagine we had Jimmy G and got rid of him and signed a cheaper guy. and might i add theres a good chance he leads them to the playoffs this year. 

if they were the Jets i would want to keep Jimmy until i know for sure i got a good replacement for him, cause for all his warts he still is good enough to be a good starter. regardless of cap space. cause nobody knows this better than us, going all in on a rookie QB and not having a good backup plan.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

remember Zach looked really good in the preseason.

1 hour ago, doitny said:

how would you feel if we did that under the same circumstances? imagine we had Jimmy G and got rid of him and signed a cheaper guy. and might i add theres a good chance he leads them to the playoffs this year. 

if they were the Jets i would want to keep Jimmy until i know for sure i got a good replacement for him, cause for all his warts he still is good enough to be a good starter. regardless of cap space. cause nobody knows this better than us, going all in on a rookie QB and not having a good backup plan.

Jimmy G is no better a backup then the likes of Trubisky or Gardner Minshew.  In fact there’s a good chance both of those are upgrades. 

I’d be happy to get rid of his salary to acquire a cheaper option if I’m in SF’s shoes. 

On 12/14/2021 at 1:51 PM, jgb said:

He'd need to bring in a credible QB2 in FA/Trade that performs well if he hopes to.

As you said, JD will likely remain if Zack never amounts to enough to win if and only if JD gets any other QB even a vet that can win much more than the Jets have been doing. You cannot keep you job if every year 2-5 wins is all you can muster. So, if he builds the rest of the team to be good enough with another QB plugged who starts surpassing these really bad win totals that is not named Zack Wilson, he probably keeps his job. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2021 at 2:56 PM, slimjasi said:

Definitely

But he has to have a big offseason

It’s a lot easier for him if Wilson pans out, obviously, but it’s not impossible that he survives Wilson busting by any stretch. 

If this kid can just handle the short stuff with better accuracy and not such strong throws over the middle he will be good. But we won't know this likely till next year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UnknownJetFan said:

If this kid can just handle the short stuff with better accuracy and not such strong throws over the middle he will be good. But we won't know this likely till next year.

Yeah, he desperately needs to correct the short range accuracy issues. That stuff will have him benched before the end of next season. I agree, I think IF we ever do see him correct that, it probably won't happen until the offseason.