Boomer Esiason on Zach Wilson

maury77

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Also Boomer: "Mike Maccagnan knows football. He's the one that traded for Sam Darnold. He's the one that drafted Quinnen Williams and Jamal Adams" 

To be fair, anybody would be hard-pressed to find somebody who has never predicted anything wrong or said something like that who has a career (or not) like that

99.999% of all people aren't going to be right 100% of the time

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s brutal. Boomer is a Jets fluffer normally and for him to say that Zach Wilson gives the team *no chance of winning* and that he shouldn’t be playing, that’s as harsh as Boomer will get. 

Agreed.  Plus he’s always overly supportive of QBs, rare that he is that blunt about a kid.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Oh, of course. 

But Boomer was a big Macc daddy guy and was telling Jets fans before last season that Darnold was till going to be a star. Just having some fun at Boomer's expense. 

That's a good point

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Oh, of course. 

But Boomer was a big Macc daddy guy and was telling Jets fans before last season that Darnold was till going to be a star. Just having some fun at Boomer's expense. 

When I heard those comments about Darnold last year, I knew Boomer was still feeling the effects of that massive shot by Bruce Smith.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

As bad as Mims has been, I still want to see Mims on the field for the rest of the season. 

The coaching staff should be telling Wilson and Mims that they expect those guys to step up. 

There is no reason for either player to be as bad as they were on Sunday

I agree but have a feeling we won't see Mims again. Something is just off there and has been since the season started. If he is inactive this week for any reason - that is telling.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Trotter said:

I agree but have a feeling we won't see Mims again. Something is just off there and has been since the season started. If he is inactive this week for any reason - that is telling.

If the coaching staff doesn't put Mims out there with Moore and Davis both out, they are lost. 

Mims still has talent and their job is to coach him up - not just waive their hands and say "he sucks." Wilson could clearly use a guy with a large catch radius and some speed and there is no reason they shouldn't be calling plays for Mims. None. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Larz said:

The “plan” btw, is to magically create cheap starters by giving rookies reps. 

that’s it. That’s the big “plan”

all its really doing is reinforcing the notion that the jets are a joke

Pretty much.

If it works it’s genius. Problem is, it’s like gambling so if it doesn’t work. Well you are the 2021 Jets. 

These guys work in football, no offense but they don’t have PHDs or some amazing ability. We as fans get ready to swept up with coach talk and FO talk sometime.

Plans aren’t to hard to dissect and these guys are so overcompensated for what they do. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

If the coaching staff doesn't put Mims out there with Moore and Davis both out, they are lost. 

Mims still has talent and their job is to coach him up - not just waive their hands and say "he sucks." Wilson could clearly use a guy with a large catch radius and some speed and there is no reason they shouldn't be calling plays for Mims. None. 

agreed - he had the two penalties and then he was benched for the second half. Many other players have done the same and not been benched the rest of the game. That is where I believe there is just a larger issue. What it is, I am not sure any of us know. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Trotter said:

agreed - he had the two penalties and then he was benched for the second half. Many other players have done the same and not been benched the rest of the game. That is where I believe there is just a larger issue. What it is, I am not sure any of us know. 

Yep and I didn't agree with that. 

Ok, he messed up. Call him out. Take him out for a series. 

But, they didn't bench Ty Johnson for the rest of the game, so why are they benching Mims?

Mims should be better than he is and the coaches bear some of that responsibility. Not all of it. Maybe not even most of it. But some of it. 

• Upvote 4

You can call Mims a bum or a bust or whatever.  You can point out the drops and penalties.  Fact of the matter is, he playing relatively well through an injury-plagued year last year in a Darnold-led Gase offense.

The fact that a good sized, athletic, high profile 2nd round receiver has regressed into this shell of a player is COMPLETELY on the coaching staff.

F*** Salmon.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

You can call Mims a bum or a bust or whatever.  You can point out the drops and penalties.  Fact of the matter is, he playing relatively well through an injury-plagued year last year in a Darnold-led Gase offense.

The fact that a good sized, athletic, high profile 2nd round receiver has regressed into this shell of a player is COMPLETELY on the coaching staff.

F*** Salmon.

At his best in 2020, Mims wasn't playing well. He was ok. He was making nice catches, but was invisible the rest of the time like he is in 2021. He has been an unmitigated bust, and that is on Mims, not the coaching staff. Drops and penalties are on Mims. This bust in on JD, and I am a JD defender. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

As bad as Mims has been, I still want to see Mims on the field for the rest of the season. 

The coaching staff should be telling Wilson and Mims that they expect those guys to step up. 

There is no reason for either player to be as bad as they were on Sunday

Just telling them to step up isn’t going to make them do it. That implies that they aren’t trying their hardest which I don’t believe. I’m sure they are. They are probably even trying too hard. The pressure to succeed and retain their jobs has to be enormous. Let’s hope it comes together. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

F*** Salmon.

be interesting to see if they give him another year or just get rid of him.   he's been a disaster this year - he looked so much better as a rookie.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, Jetluv58 said:

Just telling them to step up isn’t going to make them do it. That implies that they aren’t trying their hardest which I don’t believe. I’m sure they are. They are probably even trying too hard. The pressure to succeed and retain their jobs has to be enormous. Let’s hope it comes together. 

Agreed. 

I want to see this coaching staff respond. There is no reason to not be competitive against Miami and beat Jacksonville. Saleh has talked a lot about overcoming adversity - this team really needs some of that right now. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

be interesting to see if they give him another year or just get rid of him.   he's been a disaster this year - he looked so much better as a rookie.  

I think you play him the rest of the season and then carry him into camp next year and see how he responds to another offseason. If he isn't markedly better in camp next year, you can cut him before the season . 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Green hat said:

The vets knew the Jets were a rebuilding project. If he plays better next year, then it was worth it. If he doesn't, then it was a waste and the misery continues. 

Any player who signed here in the offseason knew they'd either be playing with Darnold or a rookie so I agree with you 100%.  I can't see new guys turning on Zach immediately, but if this lasts into next year and he clearly doesn't have it then JD and Saleh will need to make the unfortunate but necessary switch to keep the team together and show that while there's patience, meritocracy is what reigns.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Oh, of course. 

Almost everyone still thought Darnold was going to be good, especially when he went to carolina.  3 weeks in they STILL thought it.

Just now, heymangold said:

Almost everyone still thought Darnold was going to be good, especially when he went to carolina.  3 weeks in they STILL thought it.

“Almost everyone” 

A lot of us openly mocked Carolina for giving up what they gave up for Darnold. And giving him 18 Ms guaranteed was just comical 

• Upvote 1

The “plan” btw, is to magically create cheap starters by giving rookies reps. 

that’s it. That’s the big “plan”
all its really doing is reinforcing the notion that the jets are a joke

silly and also sad - this is most definitely not the plan - but if you think it is then it must be so - hey thanks for the critical analysis

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app