Boomer Esiason on Zach Wilson

maury77

I think the Jets concluded that their roster was so shot that the best thing they could do Is force feed Wilson and did not have to spend picks and or money on Foles, Minshew, Flacco.  It was a mistake. 

Next year is another injection of draft picks and FAs.  The Jets should be more competitive.  They will need another QB to push/bail out Wilson. 

I do think players are exaggerating injuries rather than play for this mess.  That just makes everything worse. 

• Upvote 3

The players are no different then we about wanting to win, however, they are the ones out there putting their bodies on the line.  

Do you really believe resentment isn't building with the players?  FFS, most of here want to ship Wilson out already, what do you think the players are feeling? 

Even worse, they have seen another young QB kill it, as well as a journey man in Flacco, as well as Johnson.  Then Wilson comes back and did what he did Sunday.

The players are no different.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

If the coaching staff doesn't put Mims out there with Moore and Davis both out, they are lost. 

Mims still has talent and their job is to coach him up - not just waive their hands and say "he sucks." Wilson could clearly use a guy with a large catch radius and some speed and there is no reason they shouldn't be calling plays for Mims. None. 

Mims has talent just no separation... How he can clock so fast in the 40 and still not separate from a defender is mystifying.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, hawk said:

The players are no different then we about wanting to win, however, they are the ones out there putting their bodies on the line.  

Do you really believe resentment isn't building with the players?  FFS, most of here want to ship Wilson out already, what do you think the players are feeling? 

Even worse, they have seen another young QB kill it, as well as a journey man in Flacco, as well as Johnson.  Then Wilson comes back and did what he did Sunday.

The players are no different.

Yeah, I think we can read a bit more into the Mike White chants from players when he walked into the room.  

Zach has been terrible. But vs the Eagles he led the team to 3 consecutive TDs on the first 3 possessions of the game and the Jets were trailing by 3 points before their 4th drive started.

The defense can SFTU about the Saints game. They suck too.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Mims has talent just no separation... How he can clock so fast in the 40 and still not separate from a defender is mystifying.  

Not every player who has all the tools, does great in college, and performs well at the combines/workouts clicks as an NFL player.  I think Mims is one of those guys.  

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s brutal. Boomer is a Jets fluffer normally and for him to say that Zach Wilson gives the team *no chance of winning* and that he shouldn’t be playing, that’s as harsh as Boomer will get. 

Saying he gives them "No chance" to win is a provably stupid statement because they won twice with him at QB, and they only won the Tennessee game because of his play. 

It would actually be more accurate to say that the Defense gives the team No chance of winning. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  Plus he’s always overly supportive of QBs, rare that he is that blunt about a kid.  

When I saw the thread title, I would have bet you $100 that Boomer’s quote would have been “Zach is a rookie and he’s doing his best, but he’s getting no help out there.” Never in a million years would I have guessed he said “Zach is an outright deterrent toward the team getting better, and that’s why Denzel Mims has fallen off.” 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Saying he gives them "No chance" to win is a provable stupid statement because they won twice with him at QB, and they only won the Tennessee game because of his play. 

It would actually be more accurate to say that the Defense gives the team No chance of winning. 

I’d agree with that. The defense was actually worse when Zach was out. IMO, Zach sucks, but Saleh has been worse.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think the Jets concluded that their roster was so shot that the best thing they could do Is force feed Wilson and did not have to spend picks and or money on Foles, Minshew, Flacco.  It was a mistake. 

Next year is another injection of draft picks and FAs.  The Jets should be more competitive.  They will need another QB to push/bail out Wilson. 

I do think players are exaggerating injuries rather than play for this mess.  That just makes everything worse. 

My conspiracy theory is that Douglas made some concessions to Team Wilson pre-draft and starting from Day One was one of them. It’s the only way to explain the way they proceeded from there. Douglas learned the value of a veteran backup from his time in Philly, but he flagrantly left the cupboard bare here because…he was that certain the young lad from BYU was some unimpeachable talent? I’d guess that Wilson family advisor Steve Young—who seethed waiting behind Montana—wanted the decks cleared for Zach. 

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can't believe that people are still demanding they give Mims playing time.  Not only has he sucked, but he has had multiple stupid penalties.  The guy is shooting the whole team in the foot and your answer is to give him more playing time?  **** that.

Mims has been bad, but I think Boomer’s larger point is that Wilson is actively hurting every other unit and player on the team, so it’s hard for a guy who needs development (like Mims) to get any quality reps with a panicked rookie running around with his head cut off. It’s like when a basketball team has a bad point guard and everyone’s shooting percentage drops ten points. It ain’t because they forgot how to shoot.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d agree with that. The defense was actually worse when Zach was out. IMO, Zach sucks, but Saleh has been worse.

Yes, the defense cannot stop the run and completely changes the other team’s strategy and allows them to dominate time of possession.  The jet offense has a chance with various qbs if and only if you give that offense davis, moore and carter.  When you remove these players i doubt Flacco or white would produce multiple tds in a given game at this point.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

It’s really not complicated.  There’s a reason Moore started to shine when Johnson and Flacco were at the helm.  95% of passes weren’t being forced to Davis or thrown directly to the free safety.

Don't leave out the turf.  Zach loves throwing into the ground too.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Mims has been bad, but I think Boomer’s larger point is that Wilson is actively hurting every other unit and player on the team, so it’s hard for a guy who needs development (like Mims) to get any quality reps with a panicked rookie running around with his head cut off. It’s like when a basketball team has a bad point guard and everyone’s shooting percentage drops ten points. It ain’t because they forgot how to shoot.

You can’t blame wilson for everything.  Mims can’t line up correctly and does not seem to get much separation either.  What are the odds a wr gets penalties on consecutive plays?  It’s not as if mims is lighting it up with other qbs and then wilson comes in and mims sucks.  These slippery slope arguments are media fodder but remember the coaching staff didn’t want to play mims since training camp.  Is that Wilson’s doing too, or maybe, it’s all mims’ fault.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My conspiracy theory is that Douglas made some concessions to Team Wilson pre-draft and starting from Day One was one of them. It’s the only way to explain the way they proceeded from there. Douglas learned the value of a veteran backup from his time in Philly, but he flagrantly left the cupboard bare here because…he was that certain the young lad from BYU was some unimpeachable talent? I’d guess that Wilson family advisor Steve Young—who seethed waiting behind Montana—wanted the decks cleared for Zach. 

I have a similar conspiracy theory which is that the Johnsons wanted their first round QB starting and did not want to pay for a backup.  Sanchez, Geno, Darnold and now Wilson started season if not day 1.  

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

You can’t blame wilson for everything.  Mims can’t line up correctly and does not seem to get much separation either.  What are the odds a wr gets penalties on consecutive plays?  It’s not as if mims is lighting it up with other qbs and then wilson comes in and mims sucks.  These slippery slope arguments are media fodder but remember the coaching staff didn’t want to play mims since training camp.  Is that Wilson’s doing too, or maybe, it’s all mims’ fault.

Mims was good last year and has been a train wreck this year. You can spread the blame far and wide, but the fact is that every Jets receiver has struggled with Wilson in the game.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I have a similar conspiracy theory which is that the Johnsons wanted their first round QB starting and did not want to pay for a backup.  Sanchez, Geno, Darnold and now Wilson started season if not day 1.  

I haaaaate to give the Johnson bros a pass on this one, but I can’t imagine even those two would look at what Wilson is doing and think that any of it is good or marketable. 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

As bad as Mims has been, I still want to see Mims on the field for the rest of the season. 

The coaching staff should be telling Wilson and Mims that they expect those guys to step up. 

There is no reason for either player to be as bad as they were on Sunday

In all honesty, Mims seems intellectually challenged. He doesn't seem to remember his routes, blows up plays by being out of position, and body catches. Those are not the makings of a competent NFL player.

Wilson is more difficult to assess. He has shown streaks of solid, capable play mixed with out and out boners. The game against the Saints was a different animal -- he looked like Hackenberg on a bad day. It was actually laughable it was so bad.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mims was good last year and has been a train wreck this year. You can spread the blame far and wide, but the fact is that every Jets receiver has struggled with Wilson in the game.

Mims ain’t it. Idk who’s to blame, coaches or himself or what but every other WR from rookies to veterans have done just fine in this offense and been able to line up correctly. 
Yet Mims continues to make the same mistakes. Wilson isn’t to blame for his poor season. 

• Upvote 1

Eh..

The whole team is garbage.  They need to look in the mirror if they're blaming one person.

Zach wasn't good last week, no doubt about it, but honestly the defense has no right to judge anyone.

What was ZW saying the last week when the Jets scored 3 TD's on their first 3 drives and the defense did nothing to allow long TD drives.  

Do you think Zach went to the coach and said, "Coach are we trying to win here or what?" "What am I going to practice for?" "We have no chance to win with this defense!"

Give me a break Boomer.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s brutal. Boomer is a Jets fluffer normally and for him to say that Zach Wilson gives the team *no chance of winning* and that he shouldn’t be playing, that’s as harsh as Boomer will get. 

Disagree. Boomer He hates the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can't believe that people are still demanding they give Mims playing time.  Not only has he sucked, but he has had multiple stupid penalties.  The guy is shooting the whole team in the foot and your answer is to give him more playing time?  **** that.

I was a big Mims supporter and really wanted to see him get reps and play.

Not anymore.  He's done and won't make the team next year.  Holding out hope for Mims, IMO, is a lost cause.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I was a big Mims supporter and really wanted to see him get reps and play.

Not anymore.  He's done and won't make the team next year.  Holding out hope for Mims, IMO, is a lost cause.

Same here   Don’t know what his issue is as he seemingly has a lot of physical talent but alas poor Yorick it’s time to move on