New Hughes pod, talks extensively Zach && Mims. Does Hysterical Mims drill imitation. Concludes Douglas is headed for the unemployment line

hmhertz

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m not at bust yet. Want to see the final 4 games. 

But will say this, Sam Darnold looked much better his rookie year. 

I literally have seen nothing I can hang my hat on with Zach yet. I’m beyond floored with how bad he has been. Even his completions aren’t crisp 

Go back and read what you just wrote here, starting with the second line of the post.
What you just described is a bust.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Witht he state of the roster a lot of guys contribute by default. Ashtin Davis is contributing but he is clearly a terrible football player. Didnt Sherwood tear his achilles? Who is Nas? 

Sherwood a 4.74 over drafted box safety planned to turn into a LB, now with a torn

Achilles a fine choice.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I called the kid a bust on Sunday, I’ve seen enough.

Now today I watch video of Hughes and Esiason saying basically the same thing, Jonny they’re  avoiding the B word.

Wilson was a mistake, and I think the team knows it. It’s just a question of when JD admits it and the Jets pull the plug.

I think it's at the point were if you want to be taken seriously you just need to call it like it is. Wilson has been so bad that you can't be a paid analyst or journalist and say otherwise.  That just tells you how bad it really is. ..I'm even seeing people criticizing Douglas all of a sudden. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sounds to me like Douglas sold Saleh/Lafleur a bill of goods on Wilson and they went along with it.  He found Wilson’s upside tantalizing, wanted him, and sold the coaches that he’s really a “perfect fit”.  

I actually hope that’s correct, because the alternative is nobody in the building has a clue of what they’re doing.

Nobody in the building knows what theyre doing.....

38 minutes ago, undertow said:

I think it's at the point were if you want to be taking seriously you just need to call it like it is. Wilson has been so bad that you can't be a paid analyst or journalist and say otherwise.  That just tells you how bad it really is. ..I'm even seeing people criticizing Douglas all of a sudden. 

People here seem to not want to admit how bad it is. I don’t understand why. They’re willing to trot this kid out there again next year expecting some miraculous turnaround.

Then they’ll complain about why we’re always dead last in the AFC East.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The way to redeem Wilson is to do what got him to light it up at BYU.   Get legit competition.  Go get Mitch Trubisky next year.

I don’t think you understand how bad it is when an athlete gets the yips.

Rick Ankiel was a promising young pitcher who quit baseball for a few years then came back as an outfielder.

Steve Sax couldn’t play 2B for years, Mackey Sasser had to stop catching because he couldn’t get a ball back to the mound.

Countless golfers have quit because they couldn’t chip or putt without yipping their stroke.

Wilson is broken. Trubisky being here isn’t going to redeem him.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IIRC, the Dolphins pass defense was ranked like 25th in the league at the time of the Jets game. I’ll go to my grave believing that they started Flacco as a means to avoid a QB controversy in the event White played well against the Fish. The sad part os that I don’t think it was Saleh’s decision, either.

I think it was the frequency of the rush that made them make that decision. Very likely was to avoid the controversy, damn, how sad would that be? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The way to redeem Wilson is to do what got him to light it up at BYU.   Get legit competition.  Go get Mitch Trubisky next year.

I fear the ship has sailed on Mitch. I believe some team (perhaps Steelers) will bring him on as presumptive starter. But he would be a great get.

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I watched the first half of the video, about Wilson, but stopped before they got to Mims.

So far tonight I’ve heard Esiason and Hughes talking about Wilson. This isn’t looking good according to both.
It’s now mid December, and the most alarming thing was when Hughes asked, is there one thing Wilson does that makes you feel good about him going forward? He said no.

Completely disagree with this view point of what he was saying.  When discussing Wilson, it's something in his head.  Is it fixable? we don't know.  But the talent and skill-set is there.  For whatever reason he has the Yips.  

If he doesn't fix this you are 100% correct in that he will be a bust.  If he can find the accuracy he had his entire life and just starts throwing the ball - he's going to be fine and excel.

It's still very much a question..

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Matt39 said:

His 2021 class is also being overrated big time. Add on Zach bombing...and what exactly can he hang his hat on? A guard?

A guard, a WR, a RB, a CB, a really good G, the book on Wilson isnt closed yet

Overrated draft?  LOL

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Completely disagree with this view point of what he was saying.  When discussing Wilson, it's something in his head.  Is it fixable? we don't know.  But the talent and skill-set is there.  For whatever reason he has the Yips.  

If he doesn't fix this you are 100% correct in that he will be a bust.  If he can find the accuracy he had his entire life and just starts throwing the ball - he's going to be fine and excel.

It's still very much a question..

I honestly understand your point. I do. But I can’t help but struggle with “was there” verses “still there”. I just can’t seem to honestly see it anymore. All those things that got him drafted from the insane quick rehearse , the crispness of his passes, the focus  and yea, Accuracy! Seem to literally vanish! Just nuts. Every ball he throws even the good ones came out last week like he was the firmer BYQ with the taped up finger on his throwing hand. It’s beyond bizarre. 

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t think you understand how bad it is when an athlete gets the yips.

Rick Ankiel was a promising young pitcher who quit baseball for a few years then came back as an outfielder.

Steve Sax couldn’t play 2B for years, Mackey Sasser had to stop catching because he couldn’t get a ball back to the mound.

Countless golfers have quit because they couldn’t chip or putt without yipping their stroke.

Wilson is broken. Trubisky being here isn’t going to redeem him.

Wilson was horrible and alarmingly bad vs the saints but just 1 week prior he was 12\14 with 2 td in the first the first half vs philly. I think it is a bit early to say he is irrevocably broken. I agree he should have legit competition next year though. 

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

People here seem to not want to admit how bad it is. I don’t understand why. They’re willing to trot this kid out there again next year expecting some miraculous turnaround.

Then they’ll complain about why we’re always dead last in the AFC East.

Spot on....  there is no real game plan. If there is a game plan they're failing at it miserably. They whiffed on the number 2 overall pick last year. Your star LT is injury prone, lazy, and a mental case.  They are young and poorly coached. There really isn't light at the end of the tunnel. But we can act like next year is going to be any different because it's a year 2 in the tenure of coaching staff and quarterback. The same type of blind hope that we were telling ourselves that the second half of this year was going to be a competitive Jets team making progress.

Its AS BAD inside the ORG as it looks on Sundays.

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I honestly understand your point. I do. But I can’t help but struggle with “was there” verses “still there”. I just can’t seem to honestly see it anymore. All those things that got him drafted from the insane quick rehearse , the crispness of his passes, the focus  and yea, Accuracy! Seem to literally vanish! Just nuts. Every ball he throws even the good ones came out last week like he was the firmer BYQ with the taped up finger on his throwing hand. It’s beyond bizarre. 

You are correct.

I mean I can see the flashes of what makes him special..and I really do like the way he has played much smarter.  What's funny is the mental part of the game (the stuff I was worried about) seems to actually be progressing...

He's making faster decision, not forcing anything, throwing it away, checking down...all the sh*t that was the big worry (not saying he's all the way but it's clear and real progress)

The ohter mental part is the problem - It's the sh*t he was supposed to already be good at  - it is completely non-existent.  The stuff that was already there - it's beyond high school QB bad.

So, Yes -you are correct, it might be gone forever......But, I guess what I'm trying to say is - for me - there's hope.  If he was always inaccurate and looked like this I would be with y'all basically calling it a day.

But he wasn't, his entire life...The hope is - if he can get past whatever the F this mental block is he can turn the corner very quickly.  

Honestly, think if he just starts connecting on these swing passes in stride..and hitting the 10 in's with guys in stride...VERY VERY basic stuff that - hell I can do.  He's actually a completely different player...

As you said though, it is really ******* bizarre.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, undertow said:

I think it's at the point were if you want to be taken seriously you just need to call it like it is. Wilson has been so bad that you can't be a paid analyst or journalist and say otherwise.  That just tells you how bad it really is. ..I'm even seeing people criticizing Douglas all of a sudden. 

I’m one of Douglas’ biggest defenders here, but even I admit it’s inexcusable to whiff on a QB THIS badly.  

With a # 2 overall pick you’re hoping to at least get a guy like Jameis Winston.  Considering how much a # 2 overall pick is worth (3 first rounders, sometimes more) its just horrendous that we’re getting some of the worst QB play of all time, and no one can realistically pin any of that on the offensive supporting cast or coaching. 

It is an enormous debacle. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m one of Douglas’ biggest defenders here, but even I admit it’s inexcusable to whiff on a QB THIS badly.  

With a # 2 overall pick you’re hoping to at least get a guy like Jameis Winston.  Instead we’re getting some of the worst QB play of all time, and no one can realistically pin any of that on the offensive supporting cast or coaching. 

It is an enormous debacle. 

I won't dispute the level of play but rookie QB's tend to struggle and you need to develop them. I do remember we used to refer to Josh Allen as a running back not too long ago. 

If he looks like this next year we have a problem.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I won't dispute the level of play but rookie QB's tend to struggle and you need to develop them. I do remember we used to refer to Josh Allen as a running back not too long ago. 

No QB has ever been THIS bad his first 9 games and gone on to success.  Not even Allen performed anywhere close to this bad.  And he at least had elite athleticism he could turn to, which Wilson lacks.

Its not just normal rookie struggles, it’s a matter of “Jesus, this guy just can’t play the position at all.”  The kind of stuff we said about Darnold, but somehow even worse. 

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is it, in a nutshell. The Jets have to be honest with their evaluation and what they see. Is Wilson a guy who has the drive and confidence to improve and live up to his potential? How can the Jets maximize Wilson's chances of taking a big jump between years 1 and 2? 

There will be a ton of pressure on Wilson coming out of the gate next year

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No QB has ever been THIS bad his first 9 games and gone on to success.  Not even Allen performed anywhere close to this bad.  And he at least had elite athleticism he could turn to, which Wilson lacks.

Its not just normal rookie struggles, it’s a matter of “Jesus, this guy just can’t play the position at all.”

Are there any stats to back this up? 

Are there any studies we can cite that have statistically analyzed the first handful of games of NFL QBs and gauged how much of a predictor those games are for future success or failure? That's really the question. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its not just normal rookie struggles, it’s a matter of “Jesus, this guy just can’t play the position at all.”  The kind of stuff we said about Darnold, but somehow even worse. 

I don't believe that's true but I'm not going into throwing out exception to the rule examples. I'm also not writing the guy off after 9 games. 

12 hours ago, Jet hustle said:

Nobody in the building knows what theyre doing.....

A bit harsh, don't ya think. 

There are custodial and janitorial staff who work very hard for their money and there is no evidence to suggest that they don't know what they are doing.  And the chefs even tried to get rid of Mims early in the summer with the bad salmon.  Perhaps they knew what was going on back then.

• Haha 3

Just now, slimjasi said:

Are there any stats to back this up? 

Are there any studies we can cite that have statistically analyzed the first handful of games of NFL QBs and gauged how much of a predictor those games are for future success or failure? That's really the question. 

I’ve done the research before and would happily do it again.  Suffice it to say that, yes, this is a very true statement.  

The one caveat I didn’t mention above:  You have to compare the QBs performance to that of his peers.  Bringing up Steve Young’s struggles and juxtaposing his performance to Wilson, for instance, isn’t a great way to counter the argument.  It was a completely different game then.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I’ve done the research before and would happily do it again.  Suffice it to say that, yes, this is a very true statement.  

The one caveat I didn’t mention above:  You have to compare the QBs performance to that of his peers.  Bringing up Steve Young’s struggles and juxtaposing his performance to Wilson, for instance, isn’t a great way to counter the argument.  It was a completely different game then.  

Can you reproduce it? What sort of statistical tests did you do? Are we talking about 5 games? 10? The complete rookie season? 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't believe that's true but I'm not going into throwing out exception to the rule examples. I'm also not writing the guy off after 9 games. 

It is 100 % true, and the unwillingness to write a guy off after 9 games is an easy way to end up having to write him off after 35, like it was with Darnold.

Just believing that it’s too soon really isn’t enough to make it too soon.  These games and performances matter when it comes to projecting Wilson’s chances of making it. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It is 100 % true, and the unwillingness to write a guy off after 9 games is an easy way to end up having to write him off after 35, like it was with Darnold.

Just believing that it’s too soon really isn’t enough to make it too soon.  These games and performances matter when it comes to projecting Wilson’s chances of making it. 

sigh

First 11 games, 0-11, 52.9% completions, 1749 yards, 9TD/18INT 55.7 QB rating

who am I?