New Hughes pod, talks extensively Zach && Mims. Does Hysterical Mims drill imitation. Concludes Douglas is headed for the unemployment line

hmhertz

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And the funny thing is Troy Aikman really wasn’t THAT good.  He’s the rare instance where a team is so perfect it almost didn’t matter who was at QB.  Aikman only had one season in his career where threw for 20+ TDs and only 3 seasons where he broke 7.5 YPA.  Even for his era that’s a pretty unimpressive career.

Good luck building a similarly dominant roster around Zachapono.

Who was that crazy guy that Jimmy drafted the year after Aikman sucked?  Oh yeah Emmit Smith.  1 special player can change everything.  We've been waiting for a looong ass time for the right one here, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty in depth look at some of the issues plaguing the roster. Wonder why it took so long for the beat to peel back the onion on some obvious issues, but at least Hughes is willing to speak directly towards it.

Douglas just flat out didnt do his job scouting prior to the 2020 draft. It sounds like Mims was not draftable and they went ahead and picked him anyways.

His 2021 class is also being overrated big time. Add on Zach bombing...and what exactly can he hang his hat on? A guard?

Mims was a touted prospect at the time, and expected to go late first / early second round. Write up from Walterfootball on the pick:

59. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor - A+ Grade
I don't understand why Denzel Mims fell so far. I look forward to Charlie Campbell's Why the Slide on Mims, which will be posted sometime in May. In the meantime, the Jets get to enjoy an explosive receiver who should've been chosen at the end of the opening round. This is a steal for the Jets, and they get to fill a huge need.

Things are obviously not working out, which is unfortunate for both the Jets and Mims.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think it was Pauline who offered that Saleh wasn’t sold on Wilson in the draft, but settled on him anyway at the pro day. I’m guessing what happened is that you had these cocky first-time coaches thinking they could just make it work whoever was here because they’re such great leaders and their schemes were fool-proof: Lots of square pegs on this roster for the systems they're trying to run, and the coaches are just like, “deal with it, bitches.”

I don't think it's being cocky. I think it's highly possible that Saleh settled, but Zack this season has not been, as per Connor, who Zack was in college. Is that because Zack ran into some challenges and has been overcorrecting ever since? Shrug... 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Mims was a touted prospect at the time, and expected to go late first / early second round. Write up from Walterfootball on the pick:

59. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor - A+ Grade
I don't understand why Denzel Mims fell so far. I look forward to Charlie Campbell's Why the Slide on Mims, which will be posted sometime in May. In the meantime, the Jets get to enjoy an explosive receiver who should've been chosen at the end of the opening round. This is a steal for the Jets, and they get to fill a huge need.

Things are obviously not working out, which is unfortunate for both the Jets and Mims.

The Denzel Mims scouting report via Bob McGinn: "He’s big, but I see a finesse guy who dropped too many balls in traffic .. he doesn’t play special teams. I don’t see that kind of dog in him.”

A three-year starter with 28 touchdowns. “I would have thought no way in the world just watching him on tape and now he’s top 50,” one scout said. “He’s a big guy and ran fast. You see he’s got savvy, hands, good route runner. Kind of a limited route tree at Baylor. Just kind of a catch-and-get-tackled guy. You didn’t see the deep speed.” Had a big week at the Senior Bowl, especially in the red zone, and then ran 4.38 seconds in the 40. His arms measured 33 7/8 inches. “He has strength and hands but I don’t think he’s anything special,” another scout said. “In the Big 12 Championship Game, Parnell Motley (of Oklahoma) totally shut him down and he’s a late-round pick. He’s a guy that makes the possession catches.”

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

One other thing: Hughes says that Wilson threw incredibly accurate deep balls in college and his improvisational stuff was great blah blah blah, and in his Mims rant, he says that Mims was drafted specifically because Gase wanted big-bodied vertical receivers who can get down the field and high-point the ball. BUT, LaFleur’s offense features a largely horizontal passing game that requires precise route running and short, quick passes, which is clearly not the strength of either Mims or Wilson. So who’s at fault here? 

Regarding Mims there was never a reason to think he would be exceptional at the pro level.  He was always a guy who won contested balls, never a guy who separated in college.  Now, in the NFL, he's got DB's glued to him.  Look at Elijah Moore, a midget with none of the measurables of Mims, but gets open, even wide open, quite often.  And he's a rookie.  Mims doesn't know the plays, doesn't know where to line up, never corrected his basket catching propensity, and is an all-round turd,  So yeah, Mims is on JD as is Becton (Wirfs had a well-documented work ethic and level of maturity).

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

So yeah, Mims is on JD as is Becton (Wirfs had a well-documented work ethic and level of maturity).

Part of the reason we suck so bad is because of JD's talent philosophy, which is high upside and talent, over football instinct or pedigree. Those guys are often cheper on the market and sometimes "fall" in the draft looking like a steal. 

The idea is maybe they can be "coached up" or rebound from a down year on a prove me one year deal. Saleh is clearly an ego maniac like JD, and they think they can turn these guys around. 

Yet we have missed each time they did this. Jerrod Davis, ugh, Perriman ugh, GVR ugh, Rankins meh, Kroft, ugh, unproven kickers from no where, Tevin Coleman, meh. And in the draft, the Bectons, Miims, Ashyton Davis, QB with a "big arm" (morgan) etc you get my point. 

Said it before, say it again, I don't see the great "talent evaluator" in this guy. Where he gets credit is the value he gets in trades, but it aint sh*t if you arent hitting on the value (picks/money) you got in return. 

• Post of the Week 3

4 hours ago, Origen said:

Who was that crazy guy that Jimmy drafted the year after Aikman sucked?  Oh yeah Emmit Smith.  1 special player can change everything.  We've been waiting for a looong ass time for the right one here, that's for sure.

Jimmy only drafted Emmitt because the Bengals took the linebacker he wanted.

True story 

14 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Part of the reason we suck so bad is because of JD's talent philosophy, which is high upside and talent, over football instinct or pedigree. Those guys are often cheper on the market and sometimes "fall" in the draft looking like a steal. 

Most of your post is fair.  Couldn't disagree more with this statement.  The guy picked like 6 team captains in his first draft.  If anything he was OVER focusing on pedigree trying to build a culture vs. drafting guys who are really good at football...

• Upvote 1

A great GM has a feel for players, their character, how they are going to perform.  The Steelers, Ravens, used to be Packers.  Even Dorsey and Scot M to some extent.  Its an art, not a science.

Just because JD worked for Ozzie does not mean he gets the talent spotting thing.  It would appear to me that he does not get it.